Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

@kristen111 if you go into your settings or have someone help you do it, there is a clacking for keys setting you can turn off. At least there is on my iphone and chromebook. 
Settings then sounds and haptics then keyboard feedback

IMG_6490.thumb.png.21054ee19187a55423a352ebb7b66012.png

IMG_6489.thumb.png.10ccbd5f705eb6ec64541e7c0b85fb30.png

Thanks so much .. appreciate it.  I’ll try right now.   Can’t catch the kids.  They are all over the place. 😀

• Like 3
Just now, kristen111 said:

Thanks so much .. appreciate it.  I’ll try right now.   Can’t catch the kids.  They are all over the place. 😀

You can do it! Did you install the ad block? I swear I’d do it for you for free if you were my neighbor! 

My local library has a tech guy who helps people with their devices. Maybe your local library has someone like that? 

Like I said if you lived by me I’d help you out it would take 5 minutes tops.

I did send you the instructions for the ad blocker try to do it again.

I apologize for the novel! Boy I write a lot.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Does anyone else play "try to make my utility bill less than the previous month" or "make it less than the estimated bill '? I'm on track to beat the initial projection by $30 😀

My husband totally does that. Last night he was freaking out because our power bill was the same as last month, to the penny. TO THE PENNY!!! I had to go in another room so he wouldn't see me cracking up.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:
13 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Does anyone else play "try to make my utility bill less than the previous month" or "make it less than the estimated bill '? I'm on track to beat the initial projection by $30 😀

My husband totally does that. Last night he was freaking out because our power bill was the same as last month, to the penny. TO THE PENNY!!! I had to go in another room so he wouldn't see me cracking up.

I'm on the budget plan with my electric company, so my goal is to have next year's monthly payment be equal to or less than last year's.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I beat you all.  My husband won’t let me do laundry before 7 pm., gas dryer.  Yes, the gas bill was lower.  Meanwhile, the electric bill was higher as I’m using my bigger counter top oven and not the gas big oven.  I’m cracking up too.  Everything remains the same.  Watch out when they retire.  They become experts on everything.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

I beat you all.  My husband won’t let me do laundry before 7 pm., gas dryer.  Yes, the gas bill was lower.  Meanwhile, the electric bill was higher as I’m using my bigger counter top oven and not the gas big oven.  I’m cracking up too.  Everything remains the same.  Watch out when they retire.  They become experts on everything.

I'm afraid of that. I was in a grocery store once and this old guy was shopping with his wife. He was questioning everything she put in the cart. "Why do you need that?" "What's that for?" "Why does that cost so much?" This woman had been running her household for thirty years or more but suddenly she was incompetent? I vowed right then to never be that woman. My husband does all the grocery shopping. Boom, done.

• Applause 4
39 minutes ago, kristen111 said:

Are you on some kind of time of use rates? We are, for electric (don’t have gas, so I don’t know if that’s a thing) but that’s something everyone in the household understands and cooperates with. In our case, being mindful of when we’re using power is worth a decent savings. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, kristen111 said:

@stewedsquash .. I went into settings.  No more clicking.

@OliviaBenson .. thanks for everything.  All in working order.

Technology is a bitch.  Don’t get old .. everything is a hassle.  🥰

God, yes! I went into full meltdown yesterday when my office computer was turned on and I had entirely lost the tool bar, could not get into Firefox (because the icon had vanished), and despite restarting twice and turning the whole damn thing off entirely and then starting back up from scratch it still wasn't going back to normal. I finally called my kid at his work (which I really should not do unless its truly an emergency) and about the same time he said in a wonderfully soothing voice "Mama, calm down..." it finally went back to normal mode. What was going on is beyond me and the timing really sucked (I am in charge of a major fundraising event and needed to process and acknowledge reservations and donations). Sometimes I think I will "blow a fuse" well before the 'puter does.

• Hugs 3
  • Applause 1
24 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Are you on some kind of time of use rates? We are, for electric (don’t have gas, so I don’t know if that’s a thing) but that’s something everyone in the household understands and cooperates with. In our case, being mindful of when we’re using power is worth a decent savings. 

There was a notice in the electric bill that the bill would be lower if you use big appliances after 7 pm.  There wasn’t that much of a difference to me anyhow.

• Useful 2
24 minutes ago, isalicat said:

I finally called my kid at his work (which I really should not do unless its truly an emergency) and about the same time he said in a wonderfully soothing voice "Mama, calm down..." it finally went back to normal mode.

Heh. My kids would call me for tech help before I’d call them. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2

I went for my Covid shot this morning.  I had made the appt online through the govt website for free shots.  The (very harried) assistant told me Walgreens hasn't been contracted to give the shots so I would have to pay.  After going back and forth with her ("I came here before/I booked through the gov website," etc) she added that if I paid I might lose my insurance because I was showing I could afford to pay.  What???!!!

Anyway, I paid and finally got the shot an hour after my appointment.  I would have waited and taken it up with my insurance, but I'm going on a yoga retreat in a few days (yeah!) and need proof of vaccination.

Well, I just got a phone call from Walgreens - I shouldn't have been charged and my $150 will be refunded.  I'm not even trying to understand what's going on, but I am impressed that they took the time to make their mistake right.

• Like 4
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

I went for my Covid shot this morning.  I had made the appt online through the govt website for free shots.  The (very harried) assistant told me Walgreens hasn't been contracted to give the shots so I would have to pay.  After going back and forth with her ("I came here before/I booked through the gov website," etc) she added that if I paid I might lose my insurance because I was showing I could afford to pay.  What???!!!

Anyway, I paid and finally got the shot an hour after my appointment.  I would have waited and taken it up with my insurance, but I'm going on a yoga retreat in a few days (yeah!) and need proof of vaccination.

Well, I just got a phone call from Walgreens - I shouldn't have been charged and my $150 will be refunded.  I'm not even trying to understand what's going on, but I am impressed that they took the time to make their mistake right.

Wow. Crazy.
Was it her first day on the job?

I’ve had all 7 of my Covid shots (I just counted ’em) at Walgreens over the past however many years — during which time my insurance changed — and I’ve never paid a cent at the pharmacy.

They were all covered by my insurance premiums that I pay — I guess?

But I’m 99.999% sure they would have been covered by the government even if I was uninsured (like those 8 years in the 80s when I was married with 2-3 kids and no health insurance).

I’m glad you were able to choo$e to get it done and not miss your yoga retreat.🙌
Namasté🙏

• Like 4
  • Love 1

She was the manager, which just added to it all making no sense.

Namaste to you too!  I can't tell you how excited I am by the thought of this.  It checks a lot of boxes - women only (no insult intended to any non women identifiers out there, but . . .), beautiful location, lovely accommodation, massage booked, great vegetarian food, peace, peace, peace.

🙏

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Wow. Crazy.
Was it her first day on the job?

I’ve had all 7 of my Covid shots (I just counted ’em) at Walgreens over the past however many years — during which time my insurance changed — and I’ve never paid a cent at the pharmacy.

They were all covered by my insurance premiums that I pay — I guess?

But I’m 99.999% sure they would have been covered by the government even if I was uninsured (like those 8 years in the 80s when I was married with 2-3 kids and no health insurance).

I’m glad you were able to choo$e to get it done and not miss your yoga retreat.🙌
Namasté🙏

I forgot to mention that, despite living a mile from a Walgreens and two miles from both a Target and a Kroger, with lots more within a five mile radius, I had to drive 30 miles for the closest available vaccination.  My story actually started yesterday, when I drove out for my original appointment and discovered the pharmacy was closed because the pharmacist hadn't turned up.  So, between that trip, today's for the rescheduled shot, and another tomorrow to get the refund (for some reason it has to be in person), I will have spent many unnecessary hours on this.  Blergh.

I'm earning me some "om" time!

• Hugs 3
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, Ancaster said:

She was the manager, which just added to it all making no sense

Actually, that makes a tiny bit of sense to me, as the information for the rollout of this latest batch changed frequently in the final days. For instance, whether an appointment was required or a drop-in was best. The name of the vaccine was revealed to be some random word rather than “Eris” as had been advertised.

So I can only imagine a manager getting some last minute info on billing (that turned out not to be correct), and choosing to err on the side of the store’s bottom line.

• Useful 3
7 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I forgot to mention that, despite living a mile from a Walgreens and two miles from both a Target and a Kroger, with lots more within a five mile radius, I had to drive 30 miles for the closest available vaccination.  My story actually started yesterday, when I drove out for my original appointment and discovered the pharmacy was closed because the pharmacist hadn't turned up.  So, between that trip, today's for the rescheduled shot, and another tomorrow to get the refund (for some reason it has to be in person), I will have spent many unnecessary hours on this.  Blergh.

I'm earning me some "om" time!

I may almost be able to top your story: 
A few weeks ago I had to go to a different pharmacy because the closest one had a fire!

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 1

Got a text from the install contractor late yesterday that they're going to be in my area today. So now I wait to hear from them that they're on the way to replace my dryer. For all I know, I may wait all day to not hear anything, but I remain optimistic that won't happen.

I'm weirdly excited about getting to mess around with my new dryer. It's got a "steam dryer" cycle, which I believe can be used to deal with wrinkles for already clean clothes. 

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
14 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I found Walgreens is much better than CVS lately.  Much more accommodating.  

• Useful 3
21 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

It's got a "steam dryer" cycle

Hopefully, yours will be more useful than mine. 8/10-year old Electrolux w/d (I wouldn't give a nickel for either, no matter how highly rated nor what Kelly Ripa thinks about them, if time travel were an option 😏), and the steam cycle has really only managed to leave me with slightly damp wrinkled garments. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I found Walgreens is much better than CVS lately.  Much more accommodating.  

My CVS had vaccination appointments every 15 minutes, and they were cycling us through right on schedule.  It was a sight to behold.  No idea about the local Walgreens -- they did not have available vaccines.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

the steam cycle has really only managed to leave me with slightly damp wrinkled garments

Maybe the technology has improved?

I really should buy an iron. 
(I tossed mine with the frayed cord in 2021).

Edited by shapeshifter
buy not by
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe! Technology is odd sometimes. Some things just work well and have for the same way for a long time. And other things have an innovation every once in a while that makes me think, "why the heck didn't we think of this sooner?"  Like putting wheels on luggage. That was an idea that took WAY too long for us to figure out.

The steam function is definitely not the reason I bought this model of dryer. It's just something that I've never had before, so I am interested to see if I have a use for it. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Hopefully, yours will be more useful than mine. 8/10-year old Electrolux w/d (I wouldn't give a nickel for either, no matter how highly rated, nor what Kelly Ripa thinks about them, if time travel were an option 😏), and the steam cycle has really only managed to leave me with slightly damp wrinkled garments. 

Steam drying seems like an oxymoron to me.

• Like 2
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I really should buy an iron. 
(I tossed mine with the frayed cord in 2021).

I have several irons.  I use them for sewing.  I had an old model I loved, and they stopped making it.  I've bought a couple of duplicates (used) on eBay for when the others break down. 

19 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Taking this question to health.

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Thanks 2

In case anyone thinks my iron hoarding is crazy, have you tried the newer-made irons?  They're awful.  They have difficult automatic shutoff systems (shut off when you don't want them to) and other problems.  Or they are hard to fill with water.  Or too heavy or weird shapes. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 3
22 hours ago, kristen111 said:

There was a notice in the electric bill that the bill would be lower if you use big appliances after 7 pm.  There wasn’t that much of a difference to me anyhow.

Did you sign up for the plan to take advantage of those rates? Every utility company I've been with that offers lower rates after 7 requires enrolling in a specific plan. The downside is energy rates during the day are higher so it's never a good plan for people who are home all day. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
25 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

In case anyone thinks my iron hoarding is crazy, have you tried the newer-made irons?  They're awful.  They have difficult automatic shutoff systems (shut off when you don't want them to) and other problems.  Or they are hard to fill with water.  Or too heavy or weird shapes. 

I have three right now and none are as good as the Rowenta and TFal I left behind when I moved.  Both had NO auto shutoff, the best I can get here is 10 minutes sewing time before the iron gets cold and I have to wait for it to heat up again.  I have a small one I can use to fuse things inside an embroidery hoop and a cordless one that just doesn’t seem to get hot enough. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 3
53 minutes ago, Caoimhe said:

I have three right now and none are as good as the Rowenta and TFal I left behind when I moved.  Both had NO auto shutoff, the best I can get here is 10 minutes sewing time before the iron gets cold and I have to wait for it to heat up again. I still have my I have a small one I can use to fuse things inside an embroidery hoop and a cordless one that just doesn’t seem to get hot enough. 

I still have my old Sunbeam that I got as wedding gift, over forty years ago. It works like a champ.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

My favorite irons are the Black and Decker light and easy irons.  The vintage ones, not the new ones.  But they only last so long.  I also had a Black and Decker classic iron that was good (like my mother's original GE* from the 50s), but it sprang a leak (I confess to not always emptying the water, so I think that eventually corrodes the metal).  The new versions are terrible and have those problems illustrated above. 

*remember when Black and Decker used to be GE?

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2

You all are so industrious! (I mean that as a compliment, not snark!) I deliberately never acquire any clothing that might require ironing as I am just too lazy. I had an iron but we used it to put hot wax on our cross country skis, so as you might imagine, you really did not want it anywhere near any clothing. 😸

• Like 7
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I still have my old Sunbeam that I got as wedding gift, over forty years ago. It works like a champ.

I'm replying to myself because I just went and looked at my iron. It's a Proctor Silex Silverstone. But still, over forty years old.

• Like 6
11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I have no idea what brand my iron is, as I have probably used it half a dozen times in the 35 years I've owned it.

Me either. I recently moved and forgot I even had one. Iron is a four letter word for good reason in my mind.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8

I never iron clothing unless I’m making it, quilts are my hobby.  I was motivated to look up irons just now and there’s one that has a 30 minute shutoff which is three times longer than my current annoying one!  The downsides are that it costs $200 and has a weird system where it rises up when your hand comes off the handle.  I’m not sure that would be easy to get used to.  But for the moment my sewing machine had to go back to the manufacturing company for repairs so an iron is the least of my current concerns!

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm weird, I love to iron. I find it very relaxing.

I love to iron too.  It's an excuse (not that I actually need one!) to watch crappy TV that doesn't require a high level of attention.

• Like 9

If I were going to spend a lot of money on an iron I'd spring for a gravity feed professional steam iron.  Not that wacky magic levitating iron you just described, @Caoimhe

Like Caoimhe, I do not enjoy ironing clothes.  I enjoy pressing for sewing projects, an entirely different process. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • LOL 3

I have an iron.  It's blue.  I got it as a gift when I first went to college in 1982.  No idea why anyone would give a college student an iron.  I could probably find it if I had to, but I couldn't tell you the last time I used it.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm weird, I love to iron. I find it very relaxing.

OMG, When first married, I washed and ironed husbands shirts for work everyday.  Put starch in them too.  It was years before I took them to the cleaners.  I must have been nuts.   What a PITA.  Haven’t ironed in years now, but have an iron in case.  If I can find it.

• LOL 5
47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I have an iron.  It's blue.  I got it as a gift when I first went to college in 1982.  No idea why anyone would give a college student an iron.  I could probably find it if I had to, but I couldn't tell you the last time I used it.  

One of my daughters took an iron to college in 2001. She’s still into fashion.

Mom was still ironing Dad’s no-iron shirts when they were in their 80s.

1 hour ago, Caoimhe said:

The downsides are that it costs $200

$200 for an iron? Sheesh!

My laptop died a couple of weeks ago, and I’m still debating about what to replace it with.

I like to scan my artwork at hi-res and save different versions, which means at least 1Tb hard drive if I don’t want it to die before it’s time, which means close to $2,000!!! 
I’m not sure it’s worth it. 

• Mind Blown 4