Type keyword(s) to search

Chit-Chat: What's On Your Mind Today?

Message added by Mod-Tigerkatze,

We all have been drawn into off-topic discussions, me included. There's little that's off-topic when it comes to Chit Chat, so the only ask is that you please remember that this is the Chit Chat topic and that there's a subforum for all things health and wellness here.

If there's something you need clarification on, please keep in mind that it's always best to address a fellow poster directly; talk to them and not about what they said.
If you disagree, consider how we can express our differing opinions and still respect the other's opinion and recognize it as valid.
We're all different people, so different perspectives and points of views are natural, welcome even for growing a healthy community. What is important is that we disagree with empathy and consideration. (If need be, check out the how do we have healthy debates guidelines for more).

• Start Topic

On 9/11/2023 at 1:26 PM, oliviabenson said:

To see a doctor.

It’s really nice and quiet here! Such cute houses! My neighborhood in Brooklyn is NOISY and nothing like SI!

And here I thought you lived in the City.  How about a vintage Brooklyn Dodger jacket?

2 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

No I don’t live in Manhattan. I don’t know who the Brooklyn dodgers are. 

I am not into sports at all.

Do you know the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team?  They started out as the Brooklyn Dodgers and moved to LA i the late 50s.  Devastating locals here. 

Just now, Salacious Kitty said:

The Brooklyn Dodgers played there until moving to LA in 1958. They were beloved in the community. 

Jinx. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

The system can take it.  I’m in N.Y.  I have mine on 76 or 75.  If it’s very humid, I put it a notch or two lower.  My next door neighbor keeps it on 70 the whole summer.  I cannot be hot.

Twenty plus years ago, every spring MrP914 & I would have (what I called) air conditioning wars.  We'd stand by the thermostat upstairs and argue forever about the setting.  He kept trying to set it on 75. But I needed it cooler.  We *finally* agreed on 74.  Sometimes he'd try to sneak it to 75 (he's a stubborn Swiss-German American) but I'd feel it immediately...it would trigger hot flashes and I'd be out there protesting (I'm a stubborn Swedish-American). He finally gave up (😁) and it's been set on 74 every late spring through mid autumn, if needed. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
28 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

Da Brooklyn bums! Well, I grew up an hour north of the city and was a Yankees fan (only because my dad was). The kids in my elementary school class were half Yankees fans, half Dodgers. I never knew there was another NY team until I was an adult. Never heard anyone in my area talk about the Giants, ever!

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
26 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Do you know the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team?  They started out as the Brooklyn Dodgers and moved to LA i the late 50s.  Devastating locals here. 

Jinx. 

I don’t follow baseball. I know who the Mets and Yankees are and that’s it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Twenty plus years ago, every spring MrP914 & I would have (what I called) air conditioning wars.  We'd stand by the thermostat upstairs and argue forever about the setting.  He kept trying to set it on 75. But I needed it cooler.  We *finally* agreed on 74.  Sometimes he'd try to sneak it to 75 (he's a stubborn Swiss-German American) but I'd feel it immediately...it would trigger hot flashes and I'd be out there protesting (I'm a stubborn Swedish-American). He finally gave up (😁) and it's been set on 74 every late spring through mid autumn, if needed. 

Come summer for fifty years now, I threaten Divorce over this damn air conditioner problem.  Hubs does not understand a woman’s anatomy with hot flashes, etc.  He’s always cold, and I need it at least on 75.  Plus, I like to sleep with a light blanket.  I went bezerk a few weeks ago and threatened not to cook one more meal ever again if he didn’t shut up about the air.  He hasn’t said a word about it since.  Guess a man’s heart is thru his stomach.   He’s still using his winter bathrobe in the house.  Wimp.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1
7 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I don’t follow baseball. I know who the Mets and Yankees are and that’s it.

I think I t’s more of a generation gap of local “common knowledge” than sports knowledge:

7 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

The Brooklyn Dodgers played there until moving to LA in 1958. They were beloved in the community. 

My Mom (born 1928) went to see the Brooklyn Dodgers with her Dad/my Grandpa (born circa 1890).

• Like 2
  • Love 2
On 9/11/2023 at 1:04 PM, oliviabenson said:

It took me 2 hours by 3 buses to get to Staten Island. So longggg.

All that effort only to end up in Staten Island... 😉

On 9/11/2023 at 7:09 PM, theredhead77 said:

I'm still bitter Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was cancelled. 

On 9/11/2023 at 9:50 PM, Suzn said:

So you're the other one who watched that show!

Make that three...I'm a sucker for anything Sorkin does, been a fan since A Few Good Men.

• Like 6

@PRgal My oldest granddaughter, ten in Nov, only watched Tom & Jerry from 18 months and then added Rust Valley Restorations when she was four. She had 48 Hours as background noise at around seven. Harry Potter started when she was five and still watches. I buy her the HP lego sets. The only thing I refuse to have on at my house is that retched Nailed It show which she also likes. She loves The Amazing Gumball, Teen Titans, Big City Greens cartoons which skew to odd humor. Her sister loved Peter Rabbit when it came out. The baby girl loves Shrek. None of them watch a lot of tv though. Other son’s kid loved Miss Rachel and learned some sign language from her. She is a speech lady. 

Maybe your son would like things that other kids aren’t interested in and also maybe not “kids” geared shows. You said he likes to paint, maybe Bob Ross would interest him. 

• Like 2

@shapeshifter and other library people here. I had issue with new card not being right online and missing out on several holds because of a glitch. I emailed our not director but the one below her about it twice so it must have been really glitchy because no response then bam response to both. I sent screenshot, she sent doing her end quick then said try now and I did and quickly responded It worked! Ask for a raise! And her response was Cool glad it worked! And if only a raise were that easy.  

I love all my librarians.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

You and I should go to a Mets game, eat hot dogs, and beg the NYC baseball gods for forgiveness: you for not knowing about the Brooklyn bums and me for not knowing there was a third team in NYC until looooooong after they moved out of state 😆.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Bluey would have been a welcome addition to the TV rotation back in the days I had to suffer through the Disney Jr. days. It's super cute and much less repetitive and loud-talky than other shows in that range. 

It was a big moment in time when we moved out of the Junior versions and into regular Disney and Nickelodeon. Waiting for me there was SpongeBob and Phineas & Ferb and other shows that had really smart jokes buried in all the silliness. 

For example, there was an episode playing in the family room as I was in the kitchen. The gang somehow all got themselves locked in a room...

• Mr. Krabs: I've spent a lifetime in this restaurant, and I know there's only one way out of here.
  • Patrick: A high school diploma?
  • Me:
    Spit Take GIF
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Bluey would have been a welcome addition to the TV rotation back in the days I had to suffer through the Disney Jr. days. It's super cute and much less repetitive and loud-talky than other shows in that range. 

It was a big moment in time when we moved out of the Junior versions and into regular Disney and Nickelodeon. Waiting for me there was SpongeBob and Phineas & Ferb and other shows that had really smart jokes buried in all the silliness. 

For example, there was an episode playing in the family room as I was in the kitchen. The gang somehow all got themselves locked in a room...

• Mr. Krabs: I've spent a lifetime in this restaurant, and I know there's only one way out of here.
  • Patrick: A high school diploma?
  • Me:
    Spit Take GIF

I still like the episode of "Spongebob" that was done in the style of one of those fast food service training videos. I saw that one with my sister when she was working in fast food for a while, and we just laughed ourselves silly over it. My sister said they absolutely nailed what those kinds of videos are like :D. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

You and I should go to a Mets game, eat hot dogs, and beg the NYC baseball gods for forgiveness: you for not knowing about the Brooklyn bums and me for not knowing there was a third team in NYC until looooooong after they moved out of state 😆.  

There was also a 4th, The New York Giants who are now the San Francisco Giants.   I learned all this from my mom who grew up in Manhattan and was a Dodgers fan until they moved and then became a Mets fan.   For some reason I’ve always hated the Mets and loved the Yankees.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, partofme said:

There was also a 4th, The New York Giants who are now the San Francisco Giants.   I learned all this from my mom who grew up in Manhattan and was a Dodgers fan until they moved and then became a Mets fan.   For some reason I’ve always hated the Mets and loved the Yankees.  

That's who the third team was that I'd never heard mentioned & didn't hear about until I was an adult (& the Giants were long gone by then). It's amazing to me that no kids ever mentioned the Giants...only the Yankees & Dodgers. Even cousins who lived in Hastings, Mt Vernon & the Bronx only discussed the Y & D (& we kids could get into big arguments about our favorite baseball teams). Strange!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I still like the episode of "Spongebob" that was done in the style of one of those fast food service training videos. I saw that one with my sister when she was working in fast food for a while, and we just laughed ourselves silly over it. My sister said they absolutely nailed what those kinds of videos are like :D. 

This one always cracks me up.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
32 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

*Blinks* 

...what the hell did I just watch here? 

(I love this comment under the video: "When I drive through the hood, I make sure to blast this so everyone knows a real G is riding through" XD)

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, partofme said:

Me too.  I don’t dislike the Mets, but love the Yankees.  Simple uniforms, nothing jazzy.  Nice haircuts, clean shaven, little jewelry, if anything, pinstripes.  Classic.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, kristen111 said:

Me too.  I don’t dislike the Mets, but love the Yankees.  Simple uniforms, nothing jazzy.  Nice haircuts, clean shaven, little jewelry, if anything, pinstripes.  Classic.

Clean shaven...I sure wish the Nats had that rule. Long hair and huge beards look so gross to me, especially on hot days. And it hides those cute faces!

• Like 3
On 9/13/2023 at 8:35 AM, kristen111 said:

Young, middle age, seniors.  All ages buy new and Vintage Jackets.  Look in the stands.  It’s called New York Pride, whatever the team.  Even in Europe … they are wearing N.Y. Yankee hats, and they don’t even live here.

3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Clean shaven...I sure wish the Nats had that rule. Long hair and huge beards look so gross to me, especially on hot days. And it hides those cute faces!

Unfortunately, things are changing the last couple of years.  Trade ins are coming in with facial hair and some jewelry seems like.

• Fire 1

Does anyone else have any experience with an elementary school that expects the parents to request that their child have lunch at school?  My granddaughter just started kindergarten and they got  a call at lunch Monday asking when they would be  picking her up.  Apparently there was a form they needed to fill out indicating that she would be eating lunch at school.  I have absolutely never heard of this before.

• Mind Blown 4
6 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I got banned from a subreddit lol. Omg I’m laughing at that. Like who cares?

I was (because I made a comment on another subreddit) and then after I blocked them they sent a message that I could appeal it.  Why??  It's Reddit, not a big deal.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Well, you laugh but they could use this at Popeye's.  If you fill out a survey your reward is two pieces of chicken and a biscuit for free if you buy a large drink.  Several times they charged me for a large drink but gave me a medium cup.  It's hard for a customer to glance and tell what a large is vs. a medium, but they label the lids and that's how I started realizing they were getting it wrong.

But speaking of Wendy's, I have a plastic bag I've kept my spools of thread in forever.  It started life as one of those trash bags places handed out that had a hole in the top so you could hang it from the window crank in your car door. 

It has instructions on it on how to use the drive-thru.  There's a diagram showing an overhead view of the building and a red dashed line going around it, indicating where to drive, ending at an overhead view of a car along the side of the building.

It instructs you:

- Drive up to the Menu Board and place your order in the speaker.

- Pull up to the Pick Up Window--and your order is ready in seconds.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I was (because I made a comment on another subreddit) and then after I blocked them they sent a message that I couple appeal it.  Why??  It's Reddit, not a big deal.  

I got permabanned from all of Reddit once because I cut and pasted an article that apparently had a forbidden word in it. I appealed because I have gotten a lot from Reddit over the years. I got two beautiful paintings from artists I commissioned from there and we got our beloved Elizabeth from a Redditor. They reinstated me.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Does anyone else have any experience with an elementary school that expects the parents to request that their child have lunch at school?  My granddaughter just started kindergarten and they got  a call at lunch Monday asking when they would be  picking her up.  Apparently there was a form they needed to fill out indicating that she would be eating lunch at school.  I have absolutely never heard of this before.

Is your granddaughter in Ontario?  If so, eating lunch at school would be expected since full day K started like 25 years ago. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Laura Holt said:

Is there some construction going on at the school? 
Or did the ratio of employees to students change? 
Or...?

I'm curious about this.

• Like 1

@PRgal and @shapeshifter I just talked to my son and it turns out this is because, at least at the school she attends (in Quebec), the lunch program is run in the same way that the before and after school programs are run.  A child wouldn't automatically be included in the latter two and most parents would know  they have to enroll their child in that.  This is not the way most parents would expect lunch to be handled though!

Edited by Laura Holt
  • Like 2
  • Hugs 1
3 minutes ago, Laura Holt said:

@PRgal and @shapeshifter I just talked to my son and it turns out this is because, at least at the school she attends (in Quebec), the lunch program is run in the same way that the before and after school programs are run.  A child wouldn't automatically be included in the latter two and most parents would know  they have to enroll their child in that.  This is not the way most parents would expect lunch to be handled though!

That’s why it surprised me as an Ontario parent (unless there’s a hot lunch program that parents are expected to pay for). 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1