Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: Ghost Father of the Bride

Neptune
  • Start Topic

I love Thor😂 "first offer ceremonial stick of peace and if enemy does not accept, you stab in eye with frozen carrot". 

I also loved his reaction to Little Pete busting Sam and Jay for writing in the book. "Kill the small child! Silence him!"

I kind of wondered for a minute if they'd just tell Pete's family that Pete's ghost was there. They could easily prove it, by having them ask Pete a question only he would know the answer to. They could also do the same thing they did to prove to Bela there were ghosts there. But I guess that might have just freaked them out even more. (Also if Laura asked what kind of flower she used to carry in her weddings to the teddy bear he would have gotten the answer wrong, LOL.)

• Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I also loved his reaction to Little Pete busting Sam and Jay for writing in the book. "Kill the small child! Silence him!"

So that's what he was saying?  I only understood the "Silence him!" part.  That's very funny--especially since Thor, from what we know of his character, would probably never actually have killed a kid when alive (the parents, maybe).  Viking though he was, I get the feeling his bark was worse than his bite.

• Like 5
  • Love 3

They've all pretty much regressed to bored children. Which makes sense to me, they've been dead way longer than they were alive and until a couple years ago, had little interaction with the living. I've said before, I would definitely be fucking with the other ghosts for my own amusement. The only consequence would be having the other ghosts mad at you, but they're a pretty forgiving bunch as we've seen. Hetty had obviously thought about it, to give such a detailed description of what she would've done with Crash's head and Flower accepted that she actually had done it.

I don't hold our little ghost family to the same standards as the livings. After hundreds of years bound to this one place, I would definitely be looking for entertainment regularly. For sure. 

Bored children 😉

• Like 14
  • Love 2

That's very funny--especially since Thor, from what we know of his character, would probably never actually have killed a kid when alive (the parents, maybe). 

Oh I don't know. If the kid was a Dane . . .

• Like 2
  • LOL 18

I found the BBC version of Ghost and started watching last night. I'm not saying this because I live in the US but I like the US spirits more. I really like Alison and I loved the actress on Call the Midwife. It is a really fun watch and I do see the similarities between the BBC and US ghost but my heart is with the US ghost plus Jay is awesome and Samantha is really sweet.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I found the BBC version of Ghost and started watching last night. I'm not saying this because I live in the US but I like the US spirits more. I really like Alison and I loved the actress on Call the Midwife. It is a really fun watch and I do see the similarities between the BBC and US ghost but my heart is with the US ghost plus Jay is awesome and Samantha is really sweet.

There is a great thread right here on this Ghosts (US) page you might enjoy.  (And yes everybody does like Jay better than his British counterpart in that thread as I recall). 

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/122887-comparison-with-the-uk-show/page/2/#comment-7890484

I think the US writers managed to "fix" that character (Jay/Mike) and improve on some of the ghosts in the British version but there are a lot of laughs in the original UK version too.  Cake vs pie as in dessert is dessert and enjoy both like you mention.

And there is a "minor" thread also about same with about a half dozen posts.  There were questions in that about would seeing the original UK version first spoil watching the US one.  Answer is totally 100% NO!  Nor does watching the US version spoil the UK version. 

The US version doesn't use exact plot lines in episodes nor are the ghosts totally the same.  The nearest was Pete's Wife/ Pat's Wife probably because Pete/Pat are the most identical characters.  The others are not exactly one to one though some can be roughly/vaguely similar.  But others are very very different.

The only thing the same in the plot line is a young, "living" couple move to an old, inherited manor and try to turn it into a B&B/small hotel and the young woman has an accident and ends up seeing ghosts.  Other than Pete's/Pat's Wife and the basic "pilot" set-up one the episodes are not the same, the path to making the home into a business are entirely different and many of the ghosts are entirely different.  So there is no "stories" to spoil you.  Enjoy both.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I thought it would be hard to overcome the creepiness factor of being in the place where your dad was killed. I'd expected that to be a PTSD type of situation. I realize they'd visited before, but still... I feel like the place your loved one met a violent, unexpected demise would be not the place you want to celebrate a happy moment in your life. They don't realize Pete is happily haunting and living a pretty okay afterlife and wanted to be at the wedding. All they know is that this is where he died and the place wants to market their family joy. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/14/2023 at 1:08 PM, PaulE said:

The madness thing is on point.  Think about it:  Sam can see all ghosts, not just those at the mansion.  So that means wherever she goes--stores, theaters, even just driving on the highway--she's looking at and listening to God knows who.  Having a bad day and would prefer not dealing with disembodied spirits at the moment?  Doesn't matter, Sam.  Disgusting or obnoxious ghost right next to you when you're trying to relax at a picnic?  Them's the breaks, kiddo.  Can't hear the movie because the two ghosts sitting in front of you are having an argument?  Guess you're screwed.  Literally the woman has no escape unless, by chance, she just happens to be in a location where there aren't any ghosts (such as their car, as we've seen).  That would drive me bonkers, I'm pretty sure.

This may be why people who can see ghosts are thought to be insane.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Why is Crash's head detachable?

Also, when he was singing and bobbing his head, why didn't his head fall off (something I expected since his head's detached).

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought it would be hard to overcome the creepiness factor of being in the place where your dad was killed. I'd expected that to be a PTSD type of situation. I realize they'd visited before, but still... I feel like the place your loved one met a violent, unexpected demise would be not the place you want to celebrate a happy moment in your life. They don't realize Pete is happily haunting and living a pretty okay afterlife and wanted to be at the wedding. All they know is that this is where he died and the place wants to market their family joy. 

It is kind of odd. I just assume that, since he died outside, maybe they aren't that bothered by it, and perhaps it is a weird way of "having him there". Like the daughter said, she felt like his presence was there, even though she doesn't know his ghost is hanging at the house, she felt some connection to him, so that probably overrode the ickiness of his dying there. I mean, at least he died doing something he loved, being a scout leader, and it was an accident rather than murder. 

In the end, though, I don't care why because it made Pete so happy, and I'll admit, it made me cry, and I am not a wedding crier. But I have a huge soft spot for our dear Pete. I also love that his grandson has memorized every detail of that scout handbook. That's gotta make Pete feel good. It's a way he can be in the boy's life even though he's dead. 

I just hope that Sam gets put back on the family newsletter!

And please, Pony and Bangs, work on solving Alberta's murder! And please, writers, make Pony and Bangs Detective Agency an ongoing thing. Like once a season have them solve some mini mystery. It was such fun watching them work together, even if Isaac had to throw a man's head into a tree to make it happen. 

• Like 8
43 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Why is Crash's head detachable?

Putting my guess as to why Crash's head is detachable in spoiler tags because it's always meal time somewhere:

Spoiler

A car Crash victim in the 1950s would not have had the benefit of seatbelts. So, presumably Crash went through a windshield that severed his head, and, I am guessing, the severing was done so cleanly that he had a few seconds of consciousness after his head was severed but before he died. Think of a guillotine in the French Revolution, or a "chicken running around with its head cut off."

• Like 3
18 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Putting my guess as to why Crash's head is detachable in spoiler tags because it's always meal time somewhere:

Hide contents

A car Crash victim in the 1950s would not have had the benefit of seatbelts. So, presumably Crash went through a windshield that severed his head, and, I am guessing, the severing was done so cleanly that he had a few seconds of consciousness after his head was severed but before he died. Think of a guillotine in the French Revolution, or a "chicken running around with its head cut off."

Crash's T-shirt is awfully clean for your scenario. I would think he would have had a lot of blood on his T-shirt as well as his hair messed up at least a little.

• Useful 1
27 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I keep thinking of the Isadora Duncan situation, but then where's his scarf?

Still stuck in the wheel of his motorcycle.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 4/13/2023 at 9:19 PM, Annber03 said:

Isaac looked a bit rattled by that, too :D! Elias might consider himself comparatively lucky to have died when and how he did, let's just put it that way. 

They had a fight the day Pete died, over donut holes, of all things, so... 

But yeah, I have so many questions about their history together, too. 

Pete does have a temper he yelled at Carol while he was playing with Laura. I think he was stuck in his scoutmaster personality when he died.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 4/18/2023 at 12:00 PM, eel21788 said:

Crash's T-shirt is awfully clean for your scenario. I would think he would have had a lot of blood on his T-shirt as well as his hair messed up at least a little.

Killed instantly when beheaded on his motorcycle when something sharp beheaded him in the crash would be no time for blood just as there isn't any blood spatter on any other ghost including Pete who has an arrow in his neck.  But bottom line really is TV writer sitcom rules.  More fun, less gore.

• Like 7
  • Useful 1
5 minutes ago, Skooma said:

there isn't any blood spatter on any other ghost including Pete who has an arrow in his neck.

Sass told us this week that Pete's death wasn't very bloody.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 4/19/2023 at 2:11 PM, Skooma said:

Killed instantly when beheaded on his motorcycle when something sharp beheaded him in the crash would be no time for blood just as there isn't any blood spatter on any other ghost including Pete who has an arrow in his neck.

There is, however, a bullet hole and a few drops of blood on Nigel’s uniform where Isaac shot him, and he, too, died instantly as we saw in the flashback, whereas Baxter, although he has a bayonet point sticking out of his chest, doesn’t have any blood on him (as far as I can remember, given how long it’s been since we’ve seen him), so I suspect the presence or absence of blood comes down to simple  carelessness or inconsistency on the part of the people behind the scenes who are supposed to take care of such details.

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, PaulE said:

There is, however, a bullet hole and a few drops of blood on Nigel’s uniform where Isaac shot him, and he, too, died instantly as we saw in the flashback, whereas Baxter, although he has a bayonet point sticking out of his chest, doesn’t have any blood on him (as far as I can remember, given how long it’s been since we’ve seen him), so I suspect the presence or absence of blood comes down to simple  carelessness or inconsistency on the part of the people behind the scenes who are supposed to take care of such details.

Nay I think it is the whatever looks the best on the character.  A few tasteful drops of blood, fine.  Lack of blood, fine.  Total gore and guts, not fine. 

I think the production people are very detailed and there is no carelessness involved in how they make the characters look.  They defined what they wanted each character to look like.  Small adjustments after the pilot maybe like Sass's wardrobe to be more authentic but then the character's look is basically locked in.

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, Skooma said:

Nay I think it is the whatever looks the best on the character.  A few tasteful drops of blood, fine.  Lack of blood, fine.  Total gore and guts, not fine. 

Car wreck girl's headwound had enough blood for me!  Actually, it was the glass sticking out of her head that icked me out.  There really shouldn't be anything left of Flower after getting mauled by a bear, but that would be too gross for TV, so I'm glad they just show us the claw wounds from time to time.   I'm okay without the blood and guts aspect too.  

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

Car wreck girl's headwound had enough blood for me!  Actually, it was the glass sticking out of her head that icked me out.  There really shouldn't be anything left of Flower after getting mauled by a bear, but that would be too gross for TV, so I'm glad they just show us the claw wounds from time to time.   I'm okay without the blood and guts aspect too.  

I think Flower died after the bear took a swipe out of her, but it continued mauling her—she was watching it rip her apart with Alberta, Sas, and Thor (I think?) and didn’t realize it was her own body she was watching get destroyed. So maybe it’s that we see them at their moment of death, not necessarily how their physical bodies ended up. 

• Like 10
  • Useful 2

This isn't  horror show, so I'm fine with santized, bloodless ghosts. I wouldn't want to see gore in my feel good comedy. It's a show about ghosts, so I'm willing to give realism a pass. I do think Car Ghost is the goriest we've seen, and it was enough. 

• Like 11
On 4/16/2023 at 9:57 PM, kthomp38 said:

The episode as a whole was meh. I loved Pete getting to walk Laura down the aisle at the end though.  It was so sweet!

Same here.

would like to see some family members of the ghosts and Sam and jay continue and expand. Jay’s parents would be a good start. And did we ever find out how Thor died? Only 3 more episodes season 2. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, seasons said:

Same here.

would like to see some family members of the ghosts and Sam and jay continue and expand. Jay’s parents would be a good start. And did we ever find out how Thor died? Only 3 more episodes season 2. 

Thor was struck by lightning while wearing a metal helmet.

Isaac died of dysentery. 
Alberta was poisoned, which led to a heart attack. 
Flower hugged a bear. 
Pete was shot with the arrow. 
Trevor died of a heart attack after mixing drugs. 
Of the main ghosts, the only ones whose causes of death are unknown are Sasappis and Hetty. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 4
19 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Alberta was poisoned, which led to a heart attack. 

My understanding was that at the time of her death, everyone thought Alberta had had a heart attack, but it wasn't until later they learned she had been poisoned.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3