Type keyword(s) to search

"The Colbert Report": Week of 9/1/14

Speaking of female guests... it's always nice to see DKG on the Report!

9/1 DARK
9/2 MANDY PATINKIN - “Homeland” Showtime
9/3 RANDALL MUNROE - Author, “What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions”
9/4 DORIS KEARNS GOODWIN - Author, “The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism” paperback edition

I still love Mandy's singing, but I lost all respect for him as a professional actor after he walked out on Criminal Minds with no notice--I hate it when high school kids walk out of their part-time fast food jobs with no notice, so I found it so much worse when an actor of Mandy's stature just didn't show up for Season 3.

• Love 2

I still love Mandy's singing, but I lost all respect for him as a professional actor after he walked out on Criminal Minds with no notice--I hate it when high school kids walk out of their part-time fast food jobs with no notice, so I found it so much worse when an actor of Mandy's stature just didn't show up for Season 3.

Same. He's very talented but he strikes me as unstable in a number of ways.

• Love 3

Fine, I can understand being overwhelmed. But he gave no notice to the producers at all, not even the two weeks that I expect a 17 year old kid to give at his McDonald's job! And there were a lot more people whose jobs were affected when Mandy did a no-show for the first episode's read-through. He only reluctantly agreed to come back for one day's worth of work so they could film some voice-overs and his final scene that were hastily written. That was just unprofessional, which is why I might love his talent but really don't respect him at all as a working actor.

Anyway, I did find the final bit of his interview with Stephen very funny, with Stephen on his lap and Mandy bouncing him up and down, something you could tell that Stephen was not expecting at all.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

Nice to see Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood on TCR. But I would have like to have seen Martin Sheen as Jed Bartlett. Because I don't think he'd take Stephen's shit. I'd imagine the assholes who want Obama to do something  would love to say the president should be more like Bush going into Iraq.

• Love 1

I passed Mandy Patinkin on the street one morning last spring. He was walking quickly, singing to himself. Heart! I sorta wished Stephen would've gotten him to sing while sitting on his lap, rather than the 'there, there.'

• Love 2

I passed Mandy Patinkin on the street one morning last spring. He was walking quickly, singing to himself. Heart! I sorta wished Stephen would've gotten him to sing while sitting on his lap, rather than the 'there, there.'

Jealous!  The closest I got to walking by him on the street was that my Uncle once did.  And told him that his niece was a big fan (sadly, he didn't say to him "you killed my father.  Prepare to die" since I'm sure no one ever says that to Mandy).   I totally wish Stephen got him to sing but in the past when Mandy has done an interview, he normally turns in soon after in another episode singing.   

I thought Randall Monroe was great--he's got the deadpan reaction down pat, and in fact, might have one of the best deadpans that I've ever seen.

The book sounded so great that I added it to my Amazon wish list (someone better get it for me for Christmas this year!!).

One of the best Mandy Patinkin stories I've heard was the time some NYC news program was doing a person-in-the-street interview segment about some current event (maybe the Iraq War?), and the reporter had a bunch of average joes/janes she was interviewing when the segment then had her saying, "And then we saw a familiar face..." and Mandy shows up, "Hi, my name is Mandy Patinkin, and I'm an actor." After getting his response to the question of the day, she ended up fangirling all over him.

• Love 3

When Bill Donohue and Cardinal Timothy Dolan make you look bad on gays participating in the St. Patrick's Day Parade, then Fox and Friends... will just continue to act ignorant and evil, just because they are.

Any excuse to use a clip of Steve Carell is full of win.

• Love 3

Should I be embarrassed to admit I own albums by both Patinkin and Tesh? I probably should... (I wouldn't pay to see Tesh live, though. I've seen MP a time or two, in shows.)

It looked like DKG didn't finish her makeup or something. Too much powder, not enough lippy or 'scara. She's a good egg and a good sport, regardless.

Something like watching Stephen and DKG interact is one of the things I'll miss most when TCR is gone. Her appearances are so much fun to watch. She obviously adores Stephen, totally gets his sense of humor, and loves being on the show. I hope some of the rapport he has with his guests will transfer over to the new show, but watching last night really brought home the realization that TCR is irreplaceable. 

Re this Monday: has Stephen ever had a new episode on a night The Daily Show is dark? I think that's a first.

• Love 1

Re this Monday: has Stephen ever had a new episode on a night The Daily Show is dark? I think that's a first.

Thus reaffirming that Stephen has, in fact, won television.

I'm honestly caught between getting excited to see Stephen out of character, mourning the loss of this show so soon after I began watching it, and getting beyond excited and closer to impatient to see Larry Wilmore's show. It's an emotional whirlwind! Thankfully, Stephen will remain on the air, but "Stephen" will be a devastating loss. I don't comment on his show very much, but I adore it.

• Love 1

It's very, very rare that TDS will air without a new TCR, and vice versa. There were new TDS episodes and TCR reruns when Stephen's mother was sick and later, when she passed away.

As maculae correctly pointed out, there was a new TCR (guest: Sen. Barbara Boxer) and a rerun of TDS on Feb. 6, 2006, when Jon's daughter Maggie was born. Stephen Colbert sat in when Jon's son Nathan was born a couple years earlier (July 6, 2004 episode).

It's very, very rare that TDS will air without a new TCR, and vice versa. There were new TDS episodes and TCR reruns when Stephen's mother was sick and later, when she passed away.

As maculae correctly pointed out, there was a new TCR (guest: Sen. Barbara Boxer) and a rerun of TDS on Feb. 6, 2006, when Jon's daughter Maggie was born. Stephen Colbert sat in when Jon's son Nathan was born a couple years earlier (July 6, 2004 episode).

I do remember Jon's absence because of the birth of Maggie, but it also rang a bell that around that time Rob Corddry was sitting in as guest host (not on the actual day Maggie was born). My guess is Jon's wife, Tracy, was released from the hospital, so Jon had to be there to assist her and the baby.

My point is that having a correspondent fill-in is no surprise, no big deal. I know the current line-up has promise, but knowing that Monday's show will be dark leaves a sad, yet true reminder that they are nowhere near as great as the correspondents before them. Not to say I have no faith in them, but I'm hoping in the future, one of them will step up to the plate. Besides, who knows when Jon suddenly wants to retire and decides to choose his 'heir apparent' (which I wish was still Ollie-Scone had he not left the show and hosted his own successful, funny, and attractive show). 

I don't know why they are choosing to have no new show instead of having a guest host, but I'm not sure I can agree it's because the new staff can't handle it or the old ones were better. I just don't believe that's true. I will say that a lot of the new folks at TDS are very new, and that might be a factor. But I don't think Rob Corrdry is greater more funny or capable than Jessica Williams (or Aasiv Mandvi or Al Madrigal, though they are probably not available). I admit, I wouldn't leave the desk in the hands of Jason or Samantha because they are so schtick-heavy, I think it would just be too much schtick for the anchor position.

My guess is that if anyone would stay around longer than a couple of seasons, they'd grow into the guest host spot very well. But there's been so much rapid turnover lately, and it's hard to leave the desk in the hands of someone who just arrived. But I think the new crop has been very funny and capable, definitely as "great" as many of the old guard, and them leaving for bigger gigs is probably an indication that other people find them funny and capable also.

Edited by possibilities