Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Personal Shopper

• Start Topic

While I hope this show comes back, I hope Killian doesn't. Let him jet off with his suspiciously rich new employer. And WHAT is so bad about his ex-girlfriend taking money from her father?

I don't like it when Jimmy Smits is a knucklehead, and Chief Suarez is a knucklehead. He will be used and thrown away, after his professional relationship with Regina is destroyed.

The nice part of the story was how the two young girls stuck up for each other. I was worried they'd kill one or both of them, but maybe this show lets the kids live and learn from their mistakes.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

The Killian restaurant storyline is ridiculous!  For the first few eps, I thought he and Corrine were married, then I realized they weren't.  He's put a bunch of his money up for her and his name is on nothing?!  Idiot!  I guess that worked out in his favor though since she's having problems.  However, now he's willing to go work for some shady businessman so he can keep his ex girlfriend - who wants nothing to with him - in business? Beyond stupid!

I can do without Brandy's mom.  I find it hard to believe that a rich older man just gives a recently recovering addict a beautiful condo to live in rent free.  IRL, it would be to a woman half her age and with plenty of strings attached.  

I like most of the characters, but I think my favorite at this point is Richard Kind's character.  I'm glad they toned down his quirkiness a bit.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 3/20/2023 at 4:44 PM, juliet73 said:

I can do without Brandy's mom. 

The Brandy's Mom Drama reminds me of Mary's Mom Drama on In Plain Sight, which, coincidentally, had equally terrible Sister Drama with a sister named [wait for it] Brandy. 
I haven't watched the show in at least a year or 2, but still: ugh to those stories.

However, the Brandy & Mom story in this episode also took me back to when I visited a daughter in a rent-controlled, Manhattan apartment in a poor neighborhood. When she left me alone in her apartment while she went to work, I walked to the store and bought cleaning supplies. For the next 10 years she and her then-roommate raved about how clean I had left their apartment, LOL. No substance use was involved. Just having a flashback that led me to:
Fingers crossed🤞 that this Brandy's Mom who wanted to get her a Swiffer really is on the wagon and the Swiffer is symbolic of her being clean?

Meanwhile,
I liked the way it made a difference that because a Black woman cop of rank was involved with the Black teen girls, that they wound up coming out of the situation relatively unscathed. 
It may not happen IRL, but it demonstrated what that would look like.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 4

I like Debi Mazur but I don't think she's very well cast here.  She's coming off more as someone who just uses people than as someone in recovery, like she's using that as part of a scam.   And i love how they are all so geographically challenged, fall river is like 4 hours from NYC but they make it sound like next town over.

• Like 3

I will say, though, that the sound of Brandy's and her mom's voices are extremely credibly from the same family.  I don't know if they were coached to sound the same, or if they cast the mom to match Brandy's actor's voice, but it's extremely noticeable.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, jabRI said:

I like Debi Mazur but I don't think she's very well cast here.  She's coming off more as someone who just uses people than as someone in recovery, like she's using that as part of a scam.

I believe that’s intentional plot wise.  It appears that is part of her backstory.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The Brandy's Mom Drama reminds me of Mary's Mom Drama on In Plain Sight, which, coincidentally, had equally terrible Sister Drama with a sister named [wait for it] Brandy. 
I haven't watched the show in at least a year or 2, but still: ugh to those stories.

For me, this brings back memories of Lindsey and her Toxic Mama Drama on Chicago PD. I guess female cops on TV having awful mothers is officially a thing now...

Edited by TVForever
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I watch this show for Regina and her part has really shrunk.  I don't care about Brandy and her mother, or the Jimmy Smits character's personal life. And Killian can go away now.

Edited by dshgr
I can't spell
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, dshgr said:

I watch this show for Regina and her part has really shrunk.  I don't care about Brandy and her mother, or the Jimmy Smits character's personal life. And Killian can go away now.

My sense is that Jimmy Smits is the main recognizable name in the cast and TPTB have decided to focus more on him. It's not great for story purposes.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
On 3/20/2023 at 7:14 PM, jabRI said:

And i love how they are all so geographically challenged, fall river is like 4 hours from NYC but they make it sound like next town over.

That's the NCIS effect. 😂 When they have a case in Norfolk and arrive from the Navy Yard in DC in like an hour.  More like 4-5 hours (I went to school for a year in Hampton, VA, which is across the Hampton Roads from Norfolk, and at the end of the year, my mother drove down from NYC to pick me up.  To break up the trip, we stayed with a cousin in DC the first day, then drove to NY the next day.  Much longer than an hour (and Hampton is like 20 miles closer than Norfolk (I-64 to Richmond, then I-95 into DC))

Not to mention that IRL, I believe there is a NCIS team in Norfolk

Edited by transitfan
14 hours ago, LisaM said:

I don't care about Brandy and her mother, or the Jimmy Smits character's personal life. And Killian can go away now.

Why was he sneaking into that lady's apartment? As far as I know they are both single and consenting adults

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jabRI said:

Why was he sneaking into that lady's apartment? As far as I know they are both single and consenting adults

My guess is that she has ulterior motives regarding him and wants to keep an affair with him on the QT. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 3/20/2023 at 3:44 PM, juliet73 said:

I like most of the characters, but I think my favorite at this point is Richard Kind's character.  I'm glad they toned down his quirkiness a bit.

He was my main reason for tuning in, and now he and the Regina and Morales characters are my reasons for staying. In another world, the latter two could've been Cagney and Lacey 2.0. They don't exchange a lot of words, but they seem to understand each other well. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3