Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: My Kinda Leader

• Start Topic

When a massive and unpredictable wildfire breaks out in neighboring Drake Country, the station 42 and third rock crews are called to help aid in the rescue efforts.

Airdate: 03/10/2023

letter-c.png

Twice now, if I'm not mistaken, Station 42 and Three Rock have been called into situations where a SWAT team would be more appropriate.

You know, the TV show S.W.A.T. airs right before Fire Country...how long will it be before FC and S.W.A.T. film that crossover, "two hour event"?

Could be a riveting event...of course, both shows have characters who are insanely- and unrealistically- gifted at what they do and are not shy about telling people about it, and I'm not sure two hours are enough to fit the egos of Daniel "Hondo" Harrelson and Bode Donovan Leone.

Anyway, despite some weird story choices (like Bode deciding "honour before reason before deciding reason is best" and somehow getting the Shamrock Commander to listen to him), this was still a watchable hour.

I mean, the tribute to Rebecca was touching, as was Eve trying to work through the pain of dealing with her loss.

Though Vince sounds like a hypocrite for denying Eve's leave of absence and then telling her after the Case of the Week, "counselling is available, and you have better tools to deal with the psychological pain than I did", since those same counsellors would tell Eve to take a break.

Still, Billy Burke did well with the snark and sounding like "the voice of reason" even if his words let him down.

Oh, and Sharon and the Cal Fire investigator sure had some sparks with the tense mind games they were playing with each other.

So there's that.

The real focal point of this episode, I predict, will be the revelation that Jake could be the mystery arsonist.

I say "could be" because I still think the culprit will be Jake's new "friend", Collin O'Reilly, who likely telegraphed his involvement by admitting that he looked up Jake on Google.

Of course, I don't know how the show will rectify that Sharon "found out" about Jake by looking to see who was in Drake County the day of the arson, but I've seen flimsier twists on TV.

Plus, Jake is a series regular while Collin is a recurring character. You do the Plot Armour Math(TM).

On to...March 31, because this show (and S.W.A.T. before it) will be off until then because of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

• Like 2

The arsonist was obviously the new guy from the first episode.

The service was nice, but the service probably should have been at the 3rd rock camp since they are the ones who knew her yet couldn't attend. 

• Like 3

Danielg342 was too kind, IMHO, by giving this episode a C.  Bpde aside, t he situation at the prison was ridiculous, even by Fire Country standards.  As Danielg342 noted, why weren't SWAT teams or guards from other prisons sent in to evacuate the prisoners?  Why didn't half the staff show up for work that day?  All the medical staff fled?  Seriously?  With a fire closing in on them, the prisoners fight among themselves and start fires in the prison rather than let themselves get evacuated.  

Of course, once again Bode is the hero, talking the Fire hotshot captain into doing the right thing.  

• Like 2

How is it that Sharon was on a hospital bed last week but chomping at the bit this week?

The rest of the plots weren't any better.  Cut that line, boys! You have to save that gigantic rock face from the wildland fire.  And once again, too much talking, not to mention trash talking, and not enough work.  Manny is the worst crew captain.  Take your crew away from the jackwagon Crew Supe.  There's plenty to be done elsewhere.  And walking away from the fire is approved.  There's a long list of fatalities in the wildland fire service as a direct result of doing otherwise.

By the way, Sharon, if Prevention/Investigation is looking into arson fires, you don't get a say on where they look.  And they don't have to tell you, and really shouldn't, anything at all about the investigation.  Yes, I know; makes for a good lead in to the punch at the end.

Vince goes all Gary Cooper, or maybe it was Jack Pearson, in the SHU, because a Leone can talk his way past gangland killers and have them patting each other's shoulders on the way out.  

• Like 2
17 hours ago, buckboard said:

Of course, once again Bode is the hero, talking the Fire hotshot captain into doing the right thing.

Bode is not only the  HERO, he is also THE LEADER OF ALL LEADERS. So bored with his constant presence, his infinite wisdom, his unmatched courage, his endless brooding. It doesn't help that the actor cannot act, has a monotone way of speaking, and no expression. Maybe he is trying to balance the overacting from Sharon and Eve. 

Best line of the episode goes to Freddy:  you cannot be the hero all the time, dude (to Bode). Sadly, Freddy words will end up where the premise of the show (or what I thought was the premise of the show) ended: deep down in some hole.

The woman in the prison is a terrible mother: we won't leave until my husband who is in the middle of a riot leaves, even if a fire is coming our way and my child can die. WTF is this show? 

I don't have a problem with Sharon being out of the hospital. I recently lost a relative to kidney disease and they worked  until the last days, although not a lot and usually from home. The problem is that she doesn't tire, ever. She needs a transplant (like my relative ) because she is dying (also like my relative) so she should be a little more debilitated, not all energetic. I know that kidney disease affects the heart so I think that she would be weak and tired all the time. Sharon also needs dialysis, likely every day, so she should be home a lot more.

Why are firefighters dealing with a prison riot? Worse, why are FIVE firefighters and FOUR riot guards dealing with a riot of over a thousand inmates, some "extremely dangerous?" - 9 people plus an useless warden for 1000 inmates. Do the writers math? Then Vince convinces the Very Bad Men to end the riot and they leave the prison, in orderly fashion to board buses and nobody attempts to escape? There is not enough staff, but they have no problem keeping the order of an evacuation? 

And Bode is now the fire whisperer. He knows so much, he can give orders to a seasoned firefighter and the seasoned firefighter obeys.

This show is so bad, I think it will fall in the 9-1-1 category of ridiculousness and not even hate watch will keep me trying to keep up. Just waiting for the cliffhanger of the season finale

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

Bode is not only the  HERO, he is also THE LEADER OF ALL LEADERS. So bored with his constant presence, his infinite wisdom, his unmatched courage, his endless brooding. It doesn't help that the actor cannot act, has a monotone way of speaking, and no expression. Maybe he is trying to balance the overacting from Sharon and Eve. 

Best line of the episode goes to Freddy:  you cannot be the hero all the time, dude (to Bode). Sadly, Freddy words will end up where the premise of the show (or what I thought was the premise of the show) ended: deep down in some hole.

The woman in the prison is a terrible mother: we won't leave until my husband who is in the middle of a riot leaves, even if a fire is coming our way and my child can die. WTF is this show? 

I don't have a problem with Sharon being out of the hospital. I recently lost a relative to kidney disease and they worked  until the last days, although not a lot and usually from home. The problem is that she doesn't tire, ever. She needs a transplant (like my relative ) because she is dying (also like my relative) so she should be a little more debilitated, not all energetic. I know that kidney disease affects the heart so I think that she would be weak and tired all the time. Sharon also needs dialysis, likely every day, so she should be home a lot more.

Why are firefighters dealing with a prison riot? Worse, why are FIVE firefighters and FOUR riot guards dealing with a riot of over a thousand inmates, some "extremely dangerous?" - 9 people plus an useless warden for 1000 inmates. Do the writers math? Then Vince convinces the Very Bad Men to end the riot and they leave the prison, in orderly fashion to board buses and nobody attempts to escape? There is not enough staff, but they have no problem keeping the order of an evacuation? 

And Bode is now the fire whisperer. He knows so much, he can give orders to a seasoned firefighter and the seasoned firefighter obeys.

This show is so bad, I think it will fall in the 9-1-1 category of ridiculousness and not even hate watch will keep me trying to keep up. Just waiting for the cliffhanger of the season finale

[/endthread]

literally everything you said 

Edited by divadutchess

This week on "Bode Knows Best" -

Surprise!  Bode knows best for the 16th episode in a row!  While everyone else acts a total fool around him.  Thank God Bode knows best!

And with a side of Gabriella knows best!

I actually would like Jake to the be arsonist who gets caught and ends up leaving the show so that Jordan Calloway can go do something else instead.

I was so annoyed at how Bode kept making Rebecca's death all about him.  We get it, you have Main Character Syndrome because you are the amazing main character, creator, and producer of this show.

• Like 7

This week on The Bode Show:

On 3/11/2023 at 9:01 PM, sweetandsour said:

I was so annoyed at how Bode kept making Rebecca's death all about him.  We get it, you have Main Character Syndrome because you are the amazing main character, creator, and producer of this show.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:01 PM, Danielg342 said:

I mean, the tribute to Rebecca was touching, as was Eve trying to work through the pain of dealing with her loss.

You mean "the tribute to Bode", I think.  He spoke more about himself than about Rebecca.  On a true ensemble show, Freddy (who knew, and was helped by, Rebecca far more} would have given the elegy.  (Rebecca had to die because her interactions with Freddy were taking time away from The Bode Show.

On 3/10/2023 at 10:02 PM, buckboard said:

With a fire closing in on them, the prisoners fight among themselves and start fires in the prison rather than let themselves get evacuated.  

And of course, Bode Sr can get two homicidal Plot Callers to get their gangs all docile in two minutes.

On 3/11/2023 at 3:53 PM, circumvent said:

Best lines of the show always go to Freddy.   He is, by far, the best character on this show.

• Like 2

The prison scenes:  all visitors would have been told to leave - and that their  visiting privileged  would be revoked if they didn’t - along with being arrested for something.  If nothing else, the Mom’s  guilty of child endangerment for  not leaving with the child.  

Vince is allowed in the Supermax unit  without any guards.  Sure, right.  

Now that we obviously pointed the finger at Jake,  we all know the guilty guy is Collin.   

• Like 6

Bode story was beyond over the top.  No way the fireeater guy would just make him defacto leader, and no way Perez would just throw up his hands, then throw them down to bow down to god Bode.  Its so one sided and preachy, it's way way over the top.  LIke the fireeater captain would say, 5 minutes after meeting a felon, he's a true leader.  No offense to felons, I'm just saying did not fit this guy's mind set to go over that way..

• Like 2

Once again, didn't feel like catching up until now so I just got around to watching the last couple of episodes.

Yawn, this show started off so well, too. But now it's just the Bode and Gabriella show. Bode the Saviour! He feels guilty for Rebecca's death because it's all about him! Hero Bode saves the day! Hero Bode delivers the eulogy! Hero Bode needs a pep talk! 

And Gabriella is, well, Gabriella. 

Jake is not the arsonist; it's clearly Probie. I knew it from the episode Probie was introduced, as it was the same episode the arson started, and this show is so predictable and terrible, they're not going to deviate from that. Jake is a red herring, 100%. Just like how I knew Rebecca was going to die to make way for Bode/Gabriella (very obvious they'd sacrifice Rebecca and make her a major death for Bode's mainpain; I did think that would have been Freddy, although there's still time for him to also die for Bode). 

Am I going to stick it out the rest of the season? Sure, I'll try if I have time. Am I interested in watching season 2? I really don't know. Even the show's bright spot in Vince may not be enough anymore.

• Like 2