Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Chapter Eighteen - The Mines of Mandalore

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, dwmarch said:

the bassinet stows itself. Well, that or it is a continuity glitch because if it didn't self-stow, it should be sitting on the surface of Mandalore but it is on Bo Katan's ship on the way back.

But when?   Grogu flipped into the ship and immediately sealed in because the flying thing attacked.   Also why did he flip in rather than fly in with the bassinet?   He could have gotten in, sealed the ship, then gotten out of the bassinet and taken off.   I know it was an excuse to show flippy baby again.

Oh when he got to Bo, the look on his face  "Daddy hurt, help" just about made me cry.   For a puppet that that thing is awfully expressive.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Maybe Grogu's bassinet automatically stores itself in the bottom of the ship and drops when needed again?

While we have already seen Din sleep in the ship and Grogu is probably perfectly happy to sleep in Din's arms they need more space! Seriously, I don't even want to contemplate how they are going to the toilet in the ship.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3
19 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Maybe Grogu's bassinet automatically stores itself in the bottom of the ship and drops when needed again?

While we have already seen Din sleep in the ship and Grogu is probably perfectly happy to sleep in Din's arms they need more space! Seriously, I don't even want to contemplate how they are going to the toilet in the ship.

Din's old ship was like a RV, a mobile home on wheels. His new ship is like a fancy sports car. It requires stopping at rest stops for food and bathroom breaks. Seems like a lot of fans, including me, miss the razor crest. Maybe he'll come across another one that he can buy.

• Like 15

Eventually, I’d love to see Mando end up with a Mandalorian gauntlet. They’re still fast and maneuverable but have more room than the Naboo fighter. Plus they look amazing in action. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Eventually, I’d love to see Mando end up with a Mandalorian gauntlet. They’re still fast and maneuverable but have more room than the Naboo fighter. Plus they look amazing in action. 

Is that what Bo Katan was flying when she went to rescue Din?

If Bo wins the DarkSaber using Ferengi Rules Of Acquisition [because they are universally recognizedlike trading ships and Din FORGOT to take it with him before leaving FOREVER... Finders Keepers...

I love how honest trailers (starting at the 3.00 mark) dealt with the destruction of the Razorback Crest LOL! The N1 Starfighter looks great but does not make sense for a character without a homebase. Well, maybe Din can rent the basement in Bo's Fortress of Sulking?

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Well, maybe Din can rent the basement in Bo's Fortress of Sulking?

Looks like the entire moon is uninhabited... so he has a lot of options... ETA: he can run around helmetless in private...

Edited by paigow
  • Like 1

That was … actually pretty good. It helps that I like Katee S a lot. And it REALLY helps when Grogu is a side character and not the whole plot.

No idea what the giant creature at the end was or why it let them leave.

i’ve really complained about this show for 2 seasons. But this ep was alright.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:37 PM, Ottis said:

No idea what the giant creature at the end was or why it let them leave.

i’ve really complained about this show for 2 seasons. But this ep was alright.

It was a Mythosaur... but cannot answer Why....

Bruh, The Blacklist complaints go back a decade...and they never made a good episode....

On 3/10/2023 at 10:36 AM, pezgirl7 said:

Seems like a lot of fans, including me, miss the razor crest. Maybe he'll come across another one that he can buy.

When he becomes Sherriff of Deadwood  Nevarro, Greef Swearangen Karga will give him a fleet of any ships he wants...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, paigow said:

It was a Mythosaur... but cannot answer Why....

Bruh, The Blacklist complaints go back a decade...and they never made a good episode....

LOL. But the episodes without Lizzie were better than those with her! Uh, Mandalorian… that was a sad tale about the Empire making an example of the planet. I like references like that as a reminder of the bigger picture, while Din looks for a free pass for taking off his hat. 

On 3/9/2023 at 2:32 PM, dwmarch said:

It seems like he must be driving it at least a bit but it also seems to have some ability to pilot itself because when Grogu hops out to get into the starfighter, the bassinet stows itself. Well, that or it is a continuity glitch because if it didn't self-stow, it should be sitting on the surface of Mandalore but it is on Bo Katan's ship on the way back.

I think that the bassinet stores itself under Mando's ship, where the hole is when the R5 dropped out.  This makes sense to me, because Grogu could get in and out of the ship by himself when he was sitting in the astromech bubble, and he always just appeared in his bassinet.  It's also obvious that there's a way for him to go between the bubble and the main cockpit, so I'd think that there's a way to get to his stored bassinet as well.  I'd also agree that it stores itself, like a Roomba.  It must be programmed to do things on its own, as well as let Grogu drive it.

This is at least the theory I'm going with until the show wants to actually explain it and show us otherwise.

• Like 9

I noticed something in the subtitles for Grogu.  In the first 2 seasons they usually read " the child coos" or Grogu coos, but this season  they read "Grogu babbles".  Speech is coming soon!

I find it endearing how fond Grogu is of our favorite hustler Peli Motto - and vice versa. They are always so happy to see each other. Of course Peli took care of him early on, comforting and cuddling him.

I am trying to tell myself that Peli is less crooked with Din than most of her other customers,lol.

• Like 11

Sometimes I wonder, how to the ships decide where to park? Most places have a landing area, but Mando just plopped down in the mechanic's staging area. Do you have to get clearance for private areas? 

I don't know why, but "oh, it's near the Civic Center" gives me a laugh. Maybe because it's such a mundate, run of the mill place you'd find anywhere. 

I'm pleased they got to Mandalore so soon though and didn't drag it out. For someone who wants to be left alone Bo sure hopped into her ship quick. She was way better with the caveman too. And the sabre really. I suppose she's had it before so has more experience. Even though she's not supposed to wield it. Maybe you have to be really sassy to gain its control. Good to know the jet packs work under water too. 

Grogu is looking at the both of them being snippy and like, 'just make out'. 

It's very true - if you can read maps, you'll never be lost. 

Mando was very damsel in distress this episode. 

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I don't know why, but "oh, it's near the Civic Center" gives me a laugh. Maybe because it's such a mundate, run of the mill place you'd find anywhere. 

Isn’t the Civic Center in the city Satine lived and most of the Clone Wars Mandalore episodes were set? The city with the dome? I’m wondering if I am thinking the wrong place seeing it described as mundane and run of the mill. Have we seen the civic center before it was in ruins?

15 minutes ago, Dani said:

Isn’t the Civic Center in the city Satine lived and most of the Clone Wars Mandalore episodes were set? The city with the dome? I’m wondering if I am thinking the wrong place seeing it described as mundane and run of the mill. Have we seen the civic center before it was in ruins?

Yeah, I think it's the destroyed dome structure. Seen here not destroyed in Clone Wars at the 0.50 mark. Ahsoka's final fight with Maul took place in the rafters (or whatever's the appropriate term when talking about a dome).

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Ahsoka's final fight with Maul took place in the rafters (or whatever's the appropriate term when talking about a dome).

In the last Clone Wars season? Where he was arrested. 
It would make sense there's a connection. 

With all the weird names of everything in Star Wars, just 'the Civic Center' I find funny. Hence my point though. I watched Clones and Rebels; it didn't register with me. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

For someone who wants to be left alone Bo sure hopped into her ship quick.

Her Tindalore profile is not getting any hits... and now literally The Last Man On Mandalore might die!!! You go girlfriend....

• LOL 6
13 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Yeah, I never made the connection either until I saw the destructed dome in this episode then I checked back with CW. Maul jumps out of a window of the throne room (?) and Ahsoka follows. In the next scene they are both high up over the city beneath the dome. 

That's why there's value in an online forum like this. As soon as it was mentioned, I remembered the scene. You don't need to know it to enjoy the episode, but one of the main reasons watching the show is the connection to Clones and Rebels. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, I think it's the destroyed dome structure. Seen here not destroyed in Clone Wars at the 0.50 mark. Ahsoka's final fight with Maul took place in the rafters (or whatever's the appropriate term when talking about a dome).

I love that scene. With all the talk about how beautiful Mandalore used to be I wish  they would have done a quick flashback. 

47 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It would make sense there's a connection. 

With all the weird names of everything in Star Wars, just 'the Civic Center' I find funny. Hence my point though. I watched Clones and Rebels; it didn't register with me. 

Got it! I completely misunderstood and thought I was thinking of the wrong place. I was picturing the area near the Royal Palace. Civic center really is mundane in the universe of weird and stupid names. General Ima-Gun Di would be so disappointed. 

On 3/9/2023 at 10:26 AM, Sakura12 said:

I'm guessing she's become more of a believer since she saw why it's called the living waters, an ancient beast lives in it. Although I don't know what the not removing your helmet has to do with being a Mandalorian. It seems like a dumb rule to be kicked out for.

That’s what I got from her expression too, like “holy shit, maybe it’s not nonsense after all”.

I didn’t even think about the time that it would have taken Grogu to get Bo and then to come back. Mando technically should have been long dead.

Did the Armorer not know about the huge crocodile/alligator?  Someone needs to do better at due diligence.

I also think Mando just fell in the water because it looked like it went from 4 feet to thousands of feet. How about a little heads up next time, Bo?

• Like 2

I don't think they realized it was that deep. Someone upthread remarked that maybe it was a proper pool and cracked open when the Empire pummelled the 'Civic Center'. 

From what I got, Bo was living on a moon in the same system, so I don't think it's as far away as being made out. And they have a hyperdrive. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

From what I got, Bo was living on a moon in the same system, so I don't think it's as far away as being made out. And they have a hyperdrive. 

When they were approaching Mandalore, Din pointed out to Grogu that one of the nearby moons was where they visited Bo Katan the previous episode.  It was basically to point out to us, the viewers, that she was very close by.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

I really loved this episode - my baby doing recon and flying back to the ship, Bo Katan using that dark saber like a bad ass, and the Mythosaur sighting!!!!! All cool. Oh, and that thing that captured Din Djarin that was mostly a robot - creepy and weird!

But man, our Mando really looked pretty weak needing rescuing twice in such a short time. It must be killing Bo to be thinking "I lost the dark saber to this guy?????" But I like what they give each other - different perspectives of their culture. I liked her look when he said "This is the way" and waded in - it really looked like she was just a smiiiiidge less bitter. Katee Sackhoff is really killing it for me as Bo Katan. One of my favorite moments was when she was just walking with Grogru talking about Jedis and Mandalorians and sensed the danger and just lightly pushed his carrier out of the way so she could kick ass. And her handling of the dark saber really highlighted how much more skilled she is with it than Din Djarin. If she ever gets to see that, she is going to be even more pissed she lost it to him.

I agree with everyone else that it was a mistake to lose the Razor Crest. This ship is cool, but absolutely ridiculous. Maybe he can trade it back to Peli for something more useful for his lifestyle, unless he's about hang up his bounty hunting ways for good and become the ruler of Mandalore......

• Like 10

Din as damsel in distress was not a good look and some folks are already jumping on the 'Hollywood hates men'-bandwagon with this episode. But I've seen another interpretation for his bad luck . He walked into Mandalore with blind faith both figuratively and literally and it nearly killed him. Not sure if that's enough to shatter his stance on the creed but I would hope so.

And to keep things in balance Bo Katan handled the real dangers of Mandalore better due to her cynicism but in the end she got a pretty good metaphysical shock handed to her when she saw the Mythosaur. And it seems as if Din wasn't conscious - there were only bubbles from her helmet. Her worldview got challenged too.

• Like 6
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Din as damsel in distress was not a good look and some folks are already jumping on the 'Hollywood hates men'-bandwagon with this episode. But I've seen another interpretation for his bad luck . He walked into Mandalore with blind faith both figuratively and literally and it nearly killed him. Not sure if that's enough to shatter his stance on the creed but I would hope so.

I got the sense they were trying to play up the idea of Din being a stranger in a strange land on Mandalore. His naive and blind faith in what it means to be a Mandalorian juxtaposed with Bo-Katan having lost her faith from a couple decades watching the worst of Mandalore. 

I’m not surprised that some felt Din was being nerfed to prop up Bo but I felt it puts them on more equal footing. They were just on very different journeys despite experiencing the same circumstances. Din losing some of his faith and Bo finding some of hers. I thought they went a little heavy handed damseling him but mostly thought it did a good job setting up what is likely to come next. 

We also got Grogu stepping into action. So there was growth for him too. He knows how to read the map!

I don't know if most people know Bo from Clone Wars and Rebels, but she wasn't a slouch. I don't blame her for being ticked off about everything because I think all the rules are silly too. She seemed mostly aimless to me. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Dani said:

I got the sense they were trying to play up the idea of Din being a stranger in a strange land on Mandalore. His naive and blind faith in what in means to be a Mandalorian juxtaposed with Bo-Katan having lost her faith from a couple decades watching the worst of Mandalore. 

I think this is what intrigues me most about Din and Bo being together - the complete opposite view and upbringing - he a foundling, her royalty; he a true believer, her a disillusioned cynic. I love that dynamic, and I hope they rub off on each other and both change for the better.

• Like 11
On 3/13/2023 at 7:09 PM, Ilovepie said:

I think this is what intrigues me most about Din and Bo being together - the complete opposite view and upbringing - he a foundling, her royalty; he a true believer, her a disillusioned cynic.

Like a gender flipped version of this couple???

image.png.f8a74ac353df479f0028420116196eea.png

ETA: Din started out as a Nanny... but evolved into a parent

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 4

Why is these huge planets always have one of everything? Here in earth we have loads of mines. And royal families.

I loved Grogu’s smug little face when he used the force to stop the living thing. 

why does a droid faint? It doesn’t have blood to rush from its head.

• Like 2

I've always been more than slightly annoyed by droids in the Star Wars universe.  Sure, give 'em AI and actual personalities.  But fear, and the ability to refuse orders because they're "scared"?  I'm sorry, but that's just dumb.  Why would that even be in their programming?  Droids get into actual arguments with humans.  That should never happen.  Follow orders, or I'll turn you into spare parts for a toaster oven.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I would think you could do a factory reset on the droid if it's acting up. It's probably less work. Didn't they have to do that to 3PO in Rise of Skywalker? 

Yeah. One of the games established that droids develop quirks when it’s been awhile since their memory has been wiped. That plus how old the droids with personality are handwaves a lot of the improbability of how droids can have a mind of their own.

I think there was also a line early in New Hope when R2 was being difficult about just wiping his memory. 

I love Katee Sackoff.  I am so glad to see she is a regular this season.  And she was a total bad ass.

I hate the new ship Mando has as well.  But unfortunately - star fighters being used to transport people through hyperspace has been the de rigueur since Luke took his to Bespin in Empire.

It makes no sense at all.  All you can do is sit there.  Being in one position for a very long time is not good for any body.  At least with Obi Wan he could probably go into a Jedi trance. But here we are.

• Like 1

The whole travel route that Mando takes seems weird to me. He leaves Nevarro because he needs a droid before he goes to Mandalore, but he flies to the planet next to Mandalore and tells Bo about his plan. Then he flies to Tatooine to see the mechanic lady looking for a part for the IG droid. If he had gotten that part he would have flown back to Nevarro before going to Mandalore. But he didn't so he flew there directly. But if he needed the droid or droid part first, why the stop on Bo's planet that was right next to his final destination? Especially since isn't Tatooine in the middle of nowhere not close to anything?

56 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

The whole travel route that Mando takes seems weird to me. He leaves Nevarro because he needs a droid before he goes to Mandalore, but he flies to the planet next to Mandalore and tells Bo about his plan. Then he flies to Tatooine to see the mechanic lady looking for a part for the IG droid. If he had gotten that part he would have flown back to Nevarro before going to Mandalore. But he didn't so he flew there directly. But if he needed the droid or droid part first, why the stop on Bo's planet that was right next to his final destination? Especially since isn't Tatooine in the middle of nowhere not close to anything?

I think Bo was his plan B to get to Mandalore. He told her he was there to join her. Peli was plan C after Bo wasn’t interested. 

8 minutes ago, Dani said:

I think Bo was his plan B to get to Mandalore. He told her he was there to join her. Peli was plan C after Bo wasn’t interested. 

So if he had gotten the IG droid to work he would have gone straight to Mandalore without stopping to talk to her?