Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E15: Unusual Suspects

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

This was the big 450th episode and the cast did some promo interviews on ET,EW and some local news. I was underwhelmed by the story's pacing and how the pieces connected.

But I give NCIS credit for daring to make this promoted milestone episode about new Parker and his even newer character Dad, instead of dragging out the tired, old Bullying Bull to cameo (if you catch my drift...).

Parker's Dad is great on the show and I expect to see him once per future season (just like Delilah's season slot), though I wish we could see more of him.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Haven't seen the episode yet but what is it with this show and dads? Ducky's mother is the only mother we ever met, everyone else only seems to have a dad (and a complex(er) relationship with him) or we only get to meet the dad/father-in-law (in Jimmy's case).

• Like 5
3 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Haven't seen the episode yet but what is it with this show and dads? Ducky's mother is the only mother we ever met, everyone else only seems to have a dad (and a complex(er) relationship with him) or we only get to meet the dad/father-in-law (in Jimmy's case).

I believe it’s a way to include older actors who still want roles and who may have history with the core actors. This week, the school principal from Harmon’s “Summer School” (playing Parker’s father), faces off with “LA Law(yer)” Bragman in sudden death gin rummy! 
It seems easier to make them relations, otherwise, why else would they be involved in a Navy investigation?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Poohpoohpooh said:

This was the big 450th episode and the cast did some promo interviews on ET,EW and some local news. I was underwhelmed by the story's pacing and how the pieces connected.

But I give NCIS credit for daring to make this promoted milestone episode about new Parker and his even newer character Dad, instead of dragging out the tired, old Bullying Bull to cameo (if you catch my drift...).

Parker's Dad is great on the show and I expect to see him once per future season (just like Delilah's season slot), though I wish we could see more of him.

Agree with your drift, but it would have been nice to see Ducky!

• LOL 1

This was a pretty good episode with some interesting twists (it was sad that a really good person was murdered).   

I'm so over this tired trope of having one of the lead's father come to live with them and cause problems.  In this case, the actor who played Parker's old man was very engaging and I found myself hoping that he'll be in some future episodes.  

It's good to see some TV shows that actually hire some older actors (many of them familiar faces).  NCIS LA had Marilu Henner in a guest slot the other night.  I had to explain to my companion (who is older than I am) who she was - LOL. 

• Like 2

I really liked how the actor who played Parker's dad mimicked Parker's mannerisms and speaking cadence, so you could really believe they were father and son.  That was well done.

That said, I'm really done with daddy issues on this show.  I get it, it is a good way to get older actors some work, but can't they make them retired admirals or something?  I bet we'll get a Senior episode before the end of the season.  Sometimes I think McGee is my favorite character if only because his dad is dead!

I am digging the continuity though.  Parker's serial hobbies got a callback. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

I was hoping that the Parker/dad dynamic wouldn't just be a rehash of the Gibbs/dad relationship. There were some prickly similarities but they got to "I love you" a lot faster. Eager to meet Parker's sister, the admiral. Did she know McGee's dad, the admiral?

• Like 1

That was neat with some good twists. Except that Torres was an idiot for never making the connection between Kasie's findings and the old painting. Parker senior was a good character and if they don't overuse them (like DiNozzo senior) he could remain on the cast rota. Also: add me to the list of folks wanting to meet the Admiral!

But yeah, NCIS does not have a good track record with mothers. We've seen Ducky's mother and then there was Mercedes Ruehl as Quinn's Alzheimer suffering mother. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

We met Bishops mother (Lindsey Wagner) in the episode where she goes back home after finding out about Jake’s cheating

• Like 2

Carolyn Hennesy could have been fun as Parker's sister the admiral, as they both have the same stern, handsome vibe. But alas, this season already used her as the new SecNav.

The carousel of Parker-adjacent characters are fun, but I'm eager for pivotal scarring moments to happen to him on the job. He has escaped surprisingly unscathed so far. Heck they have a full Cheesecake Factory menu of bad-things that happened to Gibbs, time to pick a few entrees and inflict them on Parker.

Nigel Yang, the seniors' home manager was so cloying and patronizing (as intended). He reminded me clearly of how people really hate being patronized. "And who do I have the pleasure of meeting today?" No thanks.

• Like 1
On 2/28/2023 at 6:26 AM, CheshireCat said:

On 2/28/2023 at 6:18 PM, Aliconehead said:

We met Bishops mother (Lindsey Wagner) in the episode where she goes back home after finding out about Jake’s cheating

We also met Delilah's mother, played by Patricia Richardson from Home Improvement.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

We also met Delilah's mother, played by Patricia Richardson from Home Improvement.

Wow, some 6 degrees here.  Both Lindsay Wagner and Patricia Richardson were also guest stars on Grey's Anatomy (Lindsay played the mother of Alex Karev, while Patricia played a famous author who had to have a procedure (I forget what kind)

Well, Grey's is on Season 19, and NCIS on season 20, so not too surprising that there would be some overlap with guest actors.

Do not file away the mourning dove as the state bird of Wisconsin for your next trivia night.  The robin is the state bird of Wisconsin.  The mourning dove is Wisconsin's state symbol of peace.  If the writers want to make Parker this font of information on all things avian, they should learn how to use Google.

• Like 6

I liked how everyone kept referring to Parker's dad's great head of hair before we saw him and then, yep, sure enough. Great head of hair. 😁

I wouldn't mind throwaway lines in future episodes about them still visiting the retirement home. That's a nice thread to weave. 

• Like 2
On 2/28/2023 at 8:53 AM, Daff said:

Agree with your drift, but it would have been nice to see Ducky!

It didn't really occur to me until I read this post, but yeah, this would be the perfect sort of episode for Ducky to appear in. I get the impression the actor is pretty much retired and only shows up for like 5 minutes a season because he's contractually obligated to.

• Useful 1