Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: Hard Heart

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Such a scary, heartbreaking case with the little boy, which, I understand, was based off the real life story of Will Yun Lee's situation with his own son. I hope this episode was cathartic for him on that level. I'm glad the little boy pulled through okay, too. 

Also glad Jordan's grandma was okay, too. For a brief time I worried that she might lose her after their little fight, but thankfully they didn't go that route. 

Shaun referring to Glassman as his son's grandfather was sweet. I totally understand Lea wanting their home back to normal, though. But any help they can get to care for their son as needed is always a good thing, too. 

Also enjoyed Shaun and Daniel interacting a bit more this episode. I liked the bit with Daniel literally rushing to get to work on time XD. I hope the meetings prove helpful for him in the long run. 

• Like 6

I knew thanks to social media that Park's case was going to be based off of Will Yun Lee's son's illness, so that put that story into a whole different light.  Will Yun Lee was great here and this was probably the best use of Park this season.  I also liked that we got a decent amount of him and Shaun, because I felt like they haven't been paired off for a minute and I always like their interactions: even when it's Park just trying not to pull his hair out whenever Shaun fails social cues!  Hey, at least he did bandage up the stuffed dog to make the kid feel better!  Even if he still had to claim that he didn't actually perform surgery on it...

I guess it was Jordan's turn to introduce one of her relatives (don't think we've seen any of her family yet.)  Always great seeing L. Scott Caldwell, who has been in a ton of stuff (probably best known as Rose on Lost, although I also remember her showing up as Holt's mother on Brooklyn Nine-Nine.)  You can see how that relationship paved the way for Jordan to be who she is now.

Glad Daniel's meetings seem to be helping him, even if was making him a bit late to work!  Glad he figured out a solution.

It was Reznick's turn to only have one scene, but Fiona Gubelmann made the most of it.

Andrews still continues to be on point.  Man has been crushing it this season!

Every time I want to roll my eyes at some of the dramatic silliness that happens here, they do things like having Shaun tell Glassman that he's their kids' grandfather in his eyes that makes me get misty-eyed.  Damn you two and your abilities, Freddie Highmore and Richard Schiff!

Good news for Lea and her sanity is that Glassman moved out!  But wait!  It looks like he's only going to be a few doors down, so she'll still be seeing a lot of Glassy!  Better start reading that book before he starts quizzing you!

• Like 6
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Glad Daniel's meetings seem to be helping him, even if was making him a bit late to work!  Glad he figured out a solution.

Except he didn't lol. Grandma E told him what to do, and Andrews told him where to do it. But at least he has company now. 

• Like 2

I hope Daniel's meeting still helps him when it is just two people. Seems like the better solution would have been Shaun being understanding about him getting there at 8:01. It's not like Daniel is needing to be there to operate or see patients at that time.

I didn't realize the case with the little boy was based on Will Yun Lee's son. That makes sense though, he did a really good job in the episode. I also really love all of Park's facial expressions when reacting to some of Shaun's comments. He says so much with just a look.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Good news for Lea and her sanity is that Glassman moved out!  But wait!  It looks like he's only going to be a few doors down, so she'll still be seeing a lot of Glassy!  Better start reading that book before he starts quizzing you!

I've mentioned, I've been enjoying this show more than in a while, but the Shaun/Lea/Glassman antics have been a bright spot for me.  I always welcome levity.  

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Fable said:

I've mentioned, I've been enjoying this show more than in a while, but the Shaun/Lea/Glassman antics have been a bright spot for me.  I always welcome levity.  

I agree. But it does make sense that he'd move out. He can clearly afford another place and it doesn't make sense for him to stay indefinitely when Leah and Shaun have a baby coming. 

Not sure it makes sense for him to get an apartment in that building. He must have gotten insurance payout from that nice house burning down and just be rich in general. But I guess it is temporary. It will add fun moments though.

• Like 1

Add me to the list of people who are enjoying this sow more than before. There were visible improvements on the characters. 

The story was touching and the kid was so cute, he really conveyed well how  a little kid not wanting to have treatment would behave (there were some words and rationality that seem to be beyond the ability of a 4 year-old brain to use but I can pretend it wasn't there). I wonder if Yun Lee gave him some tips based on his experience with his own kid. 

I like when they use the graphics to show how Shaun's brain works but it is too fast and not really easy to follow. I would like to see some more concrete things on that area - the way an autistic brain works. I would LOVE to see Shaun treat an autistic patient that cannot speak, maybe has intellectual disabilities, but can make reasonable and sensible statements. That's a thing that we see in real life, and it would be a way to expand the universe of viewers. It would also be a way to make Shaun ditch some of his ableism. He is still the shiny autistic. They made his young life traumatic, but he still sees himself as better than others.

On the same note, I would love to see his son have a disability like Down Syndrome. For the same reasons I said above. Maybe it is too much advocacy for a show but one can hope.

What was Shaun's brother's name? Have they mentioned it as an option for the baby? If not, I expect them to just decide when the baby is born, which is pretty silly and will not be the "shocker" the writers might expect. Just decide already. There is zero suspense on the name choice plot.

• Like 4

I don't understand why Lea thought they wouldn't need baby-proofing for "at least a year"-- how far along in her pregnancy is she? I thought she was near term. Do they think the baby won't crawl in a year?

I do think, though, that if you are going to babyproof you should show all the adults how to operate the toilet lid!

Glassman living in the same building will make him very close for helping out. They might think they don't need that or want it, but if he gets better at taking their lead and not hijacking things, they will be very grateful to have someone around when they are sleep-deprived and need childcare. I hope they don't make him just an annoying interloper. I generally don't like him, but I think he's been better lately and it would be nice to see a functioning chosen family instead of the kind of usual "terrible in laws" plots tv usually dishes out.

• Like 3

I had no idea that what happened to the little boy was based on Will Yun Lee's own son, no wonder he seemed to be going extra hard in those scenes, it was probably based on personal experience. I hope that this was a therapeutic experience for him, I cant imagine how hard that would be for a parent. I was also happy to see more of Park and Shaun interacting, its been awhile since they had a plot together and they always work well. His advice to Shaun was good and I love that Shaun put some little bandages on the stuffed animal, even if he still had to tell the kid that he didn't really do surgery on his toy. We also got Shaun and Daniel interaction which was fun, even if Shaun could probably just allow him to be five minutes late, especially if he isn't actually meeting with patients. 

Shaun saying that his baby would be Glassman's grandchild and his reaction was the highlight of an already strong episode, he was just so moved that he could actually be a grandparent. Him moving out was for the best, but of course he's going to be Lea and Shaun's wacky neighbor. Lea will be happy about this soon, just think of all that free babysitting!

Glad that Jordan's grandma is alright and that she finally got the cherished "I'm proud of you" from her. It was be rough if the one patient we've lost in ages is Jordan's grandma.  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

I don't understand why Lea thought they wouldn't need baby-proofing for "at least a year"-- how far along in her pregnancy is she? I thought she was near term. Do they think the baby won't crawl in a year?

I do think, though, that if you are going to babyproof you should show all the adults how to operate the toilet lid!

Glassman living in the same building will make him very close for helping out. They might think they don't need that or want it, but if he gets better at taking their lead and not hijacking things, they will be very grateful to have someone around when they are sleep-deprived and need childcare. I hope they don't make him just an annoying interloper. I generally don't like him, but I think he's been better lately and it would be nice to see a functioning chosen family instead of the kind of usual "terrible in laws" plots tv usually dishes out.

I was so fixated that she said that she wouldn't need the high-chair for at least a year!

Huh?  My high-chair (which reclined - very important for the littlest littles) got a lot of use in the first year.  My sons not only spent time in the chair eating but sometimes also watched me while I loaded dishes into the dishwasher or spent some time in there doing things like bashing a rattle onto the tray, etc to pass the time and give mommy's arms a break.

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I had no idea that what happened to the little boy was based on Will Yun Lee's own son, no wonder he seemed to be going extra hard in those scenes, it was probably based on personal experience. I hope that this was a therapeutic experience for him, I cant imagine how hard that would be for a parent.

Same here.  He did a great acting job!

1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

Shaun saying that his baby would be Glassman's grandchild and his reaction was the highlight of an already strong episode, he was just so moved that he could actually be a grandparent. Him moving out was for the best, but of course he's going to be Lea and Shaun's wacky neighbor. Lea will be happy about this soon, just think of all that free babysitting!

That was a lovely moment.

They are totally going to name the baby Steve aren't they?  Will this really surprise anyone?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, aemom said:

I was so fixated that she said that she wouldn't need the high-chair for at least a year!

Huh?  My high-chair (which reclined - very important for the littlest littles) got a lot of use in the first year.  My sons not only spent time in the chair eating but sometimes also watched me while I loaded dishes into the dishwasher or spent some time in there doing things like bashing a rattle onto the tray, etc to pass the time and give mommy's arms a break.

No wonder Glassman wanted her to read Spock! She seems clueless.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, jacourt said:

Lea at that point was just venting. She was having her home taken over by someone else without any input, no matter how well meaning. 

Okay, but she could have said she appreciated his enthusiasm but would like him to consult her before doing things like locking the toilet, or she could have sked him to wait until she asked for help, so she could decide for herself what her priorities are. I agree he was over the top. But to frame it as "we don't need this stuff for at least a year" is completely stupid. I just wish they wouldn't write characters to be stupid.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:16 PM, KaveDweller said:

I hope Daniel's meeting still helps him when it is just two people

If this were New Amsterdam, the next meeting will have three people and the third one will have 102.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Kleav said:

If this were New Amsterdam, the next meeting will have three people and the third one will have 102.

and there'd be a full procession down the street announcing it

• LOL 3