Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E09: Diary of a Deckie

TexasGal
  • Start Topic

The guests provide content and Bravo makes millions of dollars from these shows.

Guests should not only expect not to pay but to have their expenses (flights, hotels, meals) covered if not get some appearance fee of some kind.

Then again, maybe some people are that desperate to be on TV that they let Bravo make all that money off them.

It's also true of the crew cast members, whatever they get paid is a pittance compared to what Bravo makes off these shows.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2023 at 7:06 AM, Chatty Cake said:

Then there’s Haley who seems like a good worker but looks dirty. I know that’s not fair but she does.

Oh my gosh, I'm afraid to say that I agree with you.  I don't think she's taking good care of her wig and it shows.  Also, and this is absolutely not her fault, I think she may have some kind of issue with the skin on her face.  She uses that extra-thick base coat of foundation and sometimes it seems like it's cracking in the natural creases of her face.  Haley, if you're reading this, I'm really sorry and I like your work ethic.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Oosala said:

Oh my gosh, I'm afraid to say that I agree with you.  I don't think she's taking good care of her wig and it shows.  Also, and this is absolutely not her fault, I think she may have some kind of issue with the skin on her face.  She uses that extra-thick base coat of foundation and sometimes it seems like it's cracking in the natural creases of her face.  Haley, if you're reading this, I'm really sorry and I like your work ethic.

I was wondering why she would even wear such a heavy, tangled and fake looking red colored wig? Perhaps she has issues with her hair and if so that's a shame, such a difficult thing to deal with for men and women, especially women. She certainly is a good worker but I wish she didn't feel it's necessary to be so vulgar and trashy. It might be projection, thinking acting so confident and bold will cover up for her her insecurities. I think she is confusing confidence with being vulgar, loud, cheap and inappropriate. I really hope Alissa doesn't start on her but if she does I am sure Haley will hold her own.

I hope she gets some relief now that Camilla is gone. Everyone was dumping on her while she kept working. Fraser, Alissa and Camilla all whining about each other to her and being the victim while she kept working, I could see she was exasperated. Plus she has a relationship off the boat and these boatmances (quickies) must be so boring to her.

I also could be full of crap and attempting to analyze a girl who really is confident and doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks. If so good for her!

• Like 3
On 1/26/2023 at 10:18 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

The guests book the trip to start with & are then asked if they would like to be filmed & have the trip paid for as recompense. No doubt most of them then play up for the cameras.

From everything I’ve read, the guests pay (including the infamous tip), but at a reduced rate.  

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

From everything I’ve read, the guests pay (including the infamous tip), but at a reduced rate.  

I have always wondered about that cash tip, everyone puts it in the same white business size envelope? I wonder if production puts different amounts of the same wad of cash for the end of each charter and the Capt. gives the tip out to each crew member then cameras are off and the cash is returned to be seen at the end of the next charter.  Also it is always an amount that is equally divisible by how many crew members are working. This is stuff that makes me think too much about.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I have always wondered about that cash tip, everyone puts it in the same white business size envelope?

There was one episode, a season or two back (Fraser was part of the crew on that season), where at the end of the charter a kid of one of the guests had a little metal box handcuffed to his wrist -- the box contained the tip money.  Way back when -- may have been the first season, there was an episode where the crew got no tip at all because Captin Lee kicked the guests off the boat for breaking the rules (drugs, I believe).

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Tanukisan said:

There was one episode, a season or two back (Fraser was part of the crew on that season), where at the end of the charter a kid of one of the guests had a little metal box handcuffed to his wrist -- the box contained the tip money.  Way back when -- may have been the first season, there was an episode where the crew got no tip at all because Captin Lee kicked the guests off the boat for breaking the rules (drugs, I believe).

Production probably asked the group if they would play along with the metal box and handcuff, just put the productions money in there. Have we ever seen the wad of cash from any of the crew at the end of the season, I cannot remember any of them showing off their 15 grand in cash.  

I cannot remember that cruise where Capt. Lee threw all the guests off the boat, I will have to look for that one.

21 hours ago, CapeCodLuv said:

but I wish she didn't feel it's necessary to be so vulgar and trashy.

It is a sad state that not just Hayley but all the women tend to talk about their lady bits in a very coarse way under the guise of humor, it just does not come off well in my opinion. 

The fact that Fraser is the chief stew it seems like he hardly has had any screen time, is it just me thinking this? Almost like he never had anything to do with his own staff. I am I crazy for thinking this?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I cannot remember that cruise where Capt. Lee threw all the guests off the boat, I will have to look for that one.

It was the first show of season 1.

• Useful 1

Galley Talk is giving me life. Much more entertaining than the actual show. Kate and Ben, Josiah and Aesha and no Sandy. Bobby I could do without though. Hes got toxic masculinity on the one hand and a mean high school girl vibe from the episode with Bugs (hate her too) and the ipad.
And as awful as Camille was, by the end I found Allysia to bejust as bad if not worse. . She put a lot of energy into being nasty to Camille and baiting her. And she has no redeeming qualities whereas Camille was at least occasionally entertaining 

Edited by Lady of nod
Added
  • Like 4

Galley Talk is giving me life. Much more entertaining than the actual show. Kate and Ben, Josiah and Aesha and no Sandy. Bobby I could do without though. Hes got toxic masculinity on the one hand and a mean high school girl vibe from the episode with Bugs (hate her too) and the ipad.

I get a kick out of it too, except for the constant tongue baths they give Captain Sandy. They must be contractually required to sing her praises. Bravo is bending over backwards to rehab her image.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I get a kick out of it too, except for the constant tongue baths they give Captain Sandy. They must be contractually required to sing her praises. Bravo is bending over backwards to rehab her image.

That's the part I cringe at with the Galley talk.  I am still  wondering how they think this. 

I find her now in this episode and it appears in the upcoming too, to be the same old Sandy we all know.  She over stepped her bounds with Rachel I think.  They asked for a tasting menu late into the evening.  What did they think would happen?  If you don't know what one is and how long they are then don't ask for one on your preference sheet.  Sandy please shut up.  Talking to Rachel, with your BACK behind her is rude and disrespectful.  Talk to her face to face.  Telling her to do  a regular meal of - 3 different countries is not a tasting menu.  She is back to being the Captain that is the worst and what we know too.  Know what a tasting menu is before you go to a chef and tell them it's too long.  This is when I cannot stand her and it appears she will be back to the same old same old Sandy soon too.  

Why Bravo keeps this woman is beyond me.  She shows some bright spots but then goes all micro and causes more trouble than what is needed.  Bravo you failed in your rehab of this woman...seriously.   Didn't Capt Lee make a point that she didn't contact him, as a courtesy BEFORE she let Camille go but waited for the cameras to let her go and then tell him?

• Applause 1

My guess is Bravo can't easily find captains who are willing to do the show.  They'd have to be relatively good on camera.  I don't know if they screen test the cast but most of them are not shy.  This season, they have a couple of deckhands, Mike and Luis who are low-key compared to other crew members.

Captain probably has to be an outgoing person and not embarrassed about doing reality TV.  Maybe they're retired or semi-retired and don't have to worry too much about damage to their reputations.  That's one reason the captains don't go out drinking with the crew and be seen on TV up to drunken antics.

Bravo may pay okay for a short stint of a month or month and a half of filming and the various promotional things they have to do, appear on WWHL, go to Bravocon and all the other BS.  But they probably don't pay enough compared to the profits they make from these shows, so some captains may demand too much pay.

As for Gallery Talk, it records on my DVR even though I never set it to.  But I promptly delete it.  The shows have to stand on their own.  If you have to watch some supplemental thing, what does it say about the show?  Plus you know they won't say anything critical of Bravo or talk about what's likely happening behind the scenes, that is producer shenanigans.

Once you watch a show like Unreal, you look at all reality show through the lens of what they depicted there, the pressure to manipulate cast members, to create drama for ratings.

• Like 1

Why Bravo keeps this woman is beyond me. 

I'm sure they want to keep the diversity of having a female captain and she's the only one they can find willing to do the show. I noticed they sort of backed off of showing her too much in the last couple of seasons of Med, after the fallout from the Hannah-Malia incident. But here, they might think some of the audience for the OG doesn't watch Med so we're getting lots more of her. I wonder how hard it is for her to refrain from screaming at someone.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder how hard it is for her to refrain from screaming at someone.

Too funny!  I love how your posts just drip with acid😎

(I was a chemist, Teflon-type plastics mostly, before I retired😄)

• Wink 1

Man I just started watching Down Under and Rachel is an amazing Chef. As was Dave on Med. I don’t know how that dude got away with cooking a one course meal….tacos? Pizza? Really? This is a 5/star experience not a frat house.
I have not seen Sandy before this season and the last Med so out of the loop on why folks hate her. She does seem to want to be one of cool kids, constantly giving Kyle a pass etc. She needs to let Rachel do her job. Have none of these people been to Europe? Tasting menus take hours, it is an experience not a strap on the feedback kind of dinner. The bosun and his cold sores needs to keep it in his pants. I didn’t like Camille but he was totally out of line grabbing her in the hot tub. He is disgusting and Katie must have some serious self esteem issues.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 5
On 1/28/2023 at 5:51 PM, MyMaui said:

Didn't Capt Lee make a point that she didn't contact him, as a courtesy BEFORE she let Camille go but waited for the cameras to let her go and then tell him?

Yup, he had a few things to say on Twitter about this. 

I quit this season when I found out they were bringing Sandy back, but I rejoined for the Camille drama (always here for a firing!), and I hate what I'm about to say, but... ugh... I don't hate Sandy this season. She seems to be managing everyone rather well, shockingly. 

If I were working under Capt. Sandy, I would want her to use fewer platitudes when giving me direction. Most recently, she  gave Camille one more charter to show she was "in it to win it". What exactly does that mean? I'd rather have her say, "I want to see you doing A, B, and C,"  and I think it would give the people she's talking to, who are often not the sharpest knives in the drawer, a clear understanding of what she expects. She's used this vague motivational talk throughout the seasons of the show, using other cliches, and every time, I've thought , "What is she saying that she wants?"

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1