Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Episode 8

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Now you've got me thinking about that 9-1-1 episode where a pregnant woman was on her way to the hospital and the car was struck by lightning or something and the baby POPPED out, and they had to find the baby, cut the cord, and get the woman out of the crushed car! Oh, and Buck got struck by lightning and died, but only for 3 minutes, and it turned him into a math genius. 

🙄 Only on TV! Who writes this stuff?

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
12 hours ago, Notabug said:

As noted above, Lizzie's heart wasn't beating, no one was doing CPR on her.  Since her heart wasn't propelling it through her circulatory system, there would not be any massive  bleeding.    There would've been some  oozing or leaking from the vessels as the Doctor cut through them, but not the bloody mess that you'd  see if her heart was still pumping.  I've never done a perimortem cesarean, but i've seen a couple and the lack of blood in the operative field is kinda spooky.

There would have been some bodily fluids though, like amniotic fluid and some blood from the placenta and cord. The point I was trying to make was that Dr. Turner didn’t look like he had a drop of blood or anything on his suit. 

• Like 2
On 5/7/2023 at 11:19 PM, Jodithgrace said:

Also, Corinthians chapter 13 has become a tired wedding cliche over the years, (especially since it isn’t really referring to romantic love) but was it back then? Sr Monica Joan seemed to have thought so. I preferred her reading.  

I read it at a wedding in the late 80s - it was one of the "approved" readings for the Catholic service. As I recall, the other choices were not very attractive.

I assumed that when Turner said "brain injury" he could tell from the state of her eyeballs, or her ears bleeding or whatever. I imagine that signified death one way or another at the time, as advanced life support wouldn't have existed.

She also was waving out the side of the car as they went around the corner, wasn't she?  So she could have been twisted in some way at the time of impact, making it worse than if she had been facing straight ahead.  He should have just said her neck was broken.

I thought the brother character was pretty stereotypical and the wedding mixup was over the top. My aunt's church burned down four days before her wedding (In 1968!) and there was a scramble to use another church and change all the wedding/reception times because the other church also had a wedding that day -  these things do happen. 

Speaking of that wedding, one of the guests was a great aunt who was a nun and came with a companion nun (I guess they had to travel in twos?) At any rate, the wedding was during Lent but there was a dispensation for eating meat for some reason. The other nun said they needed to order the fish at the rehearsal dinner and my great great aunt said "we've got a dispensation - I'm having the prime rib!"

Sr. Monica Joan would definitely opt for the prime rib.

• Like 9
  • Love 2
58 minutes ago, kassa said:

the wedding mixup was over the top

Well, it was all a flagrant ripoff of Phoebe's wedding, in which (among other things) the ice sculpture got sent to the billing address rather than the delivery address and the ceremony was in the street, complete with fairy lights. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, kassa said:

Sr. Monica Joan would definitely opt for the prime rib.

As I would have, too! (What year did they decide to change the “no meat” during lent to only Fridays during lent?) I do remember when it was always Friday no matter the time of year. It’s what made Fish Fry joints successful in this country. Fried haddock and french fries, side of slaw (not served in newspapers). Friday dinner.

• Like 3
(edited)

No one has mentioned Sr. Julienne’s announcement that new trainees “will be arriving before the New Year.” The Christmas episode, therefore, should introduce us to a whole new flock of newbies, and I hope Phyllis is up to the task. I predict, given this news, that Nancy will choose to stay in order to maintain stability for Colette. In doing so, I’m sure she’ll be given greater responsibility, and perform her duties on a par with the remaining experienced midwives. Looking forward to it.

But I’m NOT wishing away MY summer-I can wait.

Edited by Daff
  • Like 5
28 minutes ago, Daff said:

As I would have, too! (What year did they decide to change the “no meat” during lent to only Fridays during lent?) I do remember when it was always Friday no matter the time of year. It’s what made Fish Fry joints successful in this country. Fried haddock and french fries, side of slaw (not served in newspapers). Friday dinner.

In 1966 the Catholic Church changed the rule from every Friday to Fridays during Lent and Ash Wednesday although bishops in England and Wales re-instated the ban to all Fridays in 2011.  However, the nuns on the show are not Catholic, they're Church of England.  While Church of England does encourage fasting on some days in Lent, I don't think they ban eating meat.

My grandfather, who lived with us when I was a kid and who made out the menu each week for my mom to cook, however, refused to change and we never ate meat on Fridays even after the Church said it was ok until we no longer lived with him.  My grandfather's attitude was that he had spent 70 or so years not eating meat by that point, why not just finish it out?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
19 hours ago, Notabug said:

I've practiced OB/GYN for 40+ years and I have never ever heard of a doctor telling an expectant mother not to travel in the last trimester due to the risk of seatbelt injury ever. 

I've known several who made this recommendation. Maybe it's a regional thing.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Daff said:

(What year did they decide to change the “no meat” during lent to only Fridays during lent?) I do remember when it was always Friday no matter the time of year. It’s what made Fish Fry joints successful in this country. Fried haddock and french fries, side of slaw (not served in newspapers). Friday dinner.

2 hours ago, Notabug said:

In 1966 the Catholic Church changed the rule from every Friday to Fridays during Lent and Ash Wednesday although bishops in England and Wales re-instated the ban to all Fridays in 2011. 

Into the early 1970s, our public school system served only fish sticks in the cafeteria on Fridays.

Edited by eel21788
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

The 911 writers swear that they use real rescue scenarios that they find via research.

However, they provide better outcomes than real life to allow their characters to be heroes and not thoroughly depress the viewers.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I've known several who made this recommendation. Maybe it's a regional thing.

It might be advice given in other countries.  As the link I shared shows, the American College of OB/GYN, which does board certification for all US OB/GYN's, has been advising pregnant women to wear seat belts for decades.  While it's not mandatory for every OB/GYN to follow their guidelines, most do, and I don't know of any docs recommending that pregnant women not travel by car in the third trimester because of seatbelts.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Now you've got me thinking about that 9-1-1 episode where a pregnant woman was on her way to the hospital and the car was struck by lightning or something and the baby POPPED out, and they had to find the baby, cut the cord, and get the woman out of the crushed car! Oh, and Buck got struck by lightning and died, but only for 3 minutes, and it turned him into a math genius. 

🤯🤯🤯

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

The 911 writers swear that they use real rescue scenarios that they find via research.

They also tend to string a whole bunch of improbable events together into one unbelievable storyline in order to ramp up the drama.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Straycat80 said:

The point I was trying to make was that Dr. Turner didn’t look like he had a drop of blood or anything on his suit. 

The suit jacket he was carrying was covered in blood. It was also on his vest and white shirtsleeves.

• Like 1

And even if there weren't a lot of blood, they pulled a baby covered in gunk out, then held it, cleaned it, etc.  Among other things they really needed a good scrub for sanitary reasons.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Daff said:

No one has mentioned Sr. Julienne’s announcement that new trainees “will be arriving before the New Year.” The Christmas episode, therefore, should introduce us to a whole new flock of newbies, and I hope Phyllis is up to the task. I predict, given this news, that Nancy will choose to stay in order to maintain stability for Colette. In doing so, I’m sure she’ll be given greater responsibility, and perform her duties on a par with the remaining experienced midwives. Looking forward to it.

But I’m NOT wishing away MY summer-I can wait.

I think Shelagh will also be teaching and possibly Sr. Veronica. 

Regarding Nancy and Colette, I can also see a scenario where she takes the job and then discovers that it ends up that she has less time to spend with Colette than she had before.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 5/11/2023 at 11:19 AM, Quof said:

Well, it was all a flagrant ripoff of Phoebe's wedding, in which (among other things) the ice sculpture got sent to the billing address rather than the delivery address and the ceremony was in the street, complete with fairy lights. 

Actually, every CTM wedding has had its share of disasters.   It's not like every other wedding went off without some kind of hitch.

I also saw on other forums complaints about not seeing Matthew and Trixie take their vows.  Only Cyril and Lucille were ever shown doing that.   For most of the other weddings, we only saw the bride and groom leaving the church or on the way to the reception or we saw the bride entering the church and going up to the altar where her groom and the priest are waiting.  

• Like 1
On 5/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, kassa said:

Speaking of that wedding, one of the guests was a great aunt who was a nun and came with a companion nun (I guess they had to travel in twos?) At any rate, the wedding was during Lent but there was a dispensation for eating meat for some reason. The other nun said they needed to order the fish at the rehearsal dinner and my great great aunt said "we've got a dispensation - I'm having the prime rib!"

When I married in 1989, in a Presbyterian Church, my wedding couldn't be during Lent. I don't know if that was a local church things or for all PCUSA congregations.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

When I married in 1989, in a Presbyterian Church, my wedding couldn't be during Lent. I don't know if that was a local church things or for all PCUSA congregations.

My parents were Catholic, and got married on Friday, February 13th…just under the Lenten wire. It was also less expensive to get married on a Friday!

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I have found Sr Monica Joan tiresome for a long time, and when she interrupted the wedding service (after arriving late) to announce how she was still going to do her reading or whatever, I just rolled my eyes so hard. I don't care how much affection Trixie has for her and the other nuns at Nonnatus, if that were my wedding I'd not have been best pleased.

That said, MJ's line about "rallying" right before entering the church was pretty amusing.

• Like 4

I enjoyed this season as I have enjoyed all the others.  However, I did get to the point where I would start the episode wondering who would complain of being tired this week, and what would be the cause. 

Lucille was tired - she was depressed

Reggie was tired - he had trouble with his thyroid

Newspaper boy was tired - he was anemic because he has leukemia

Sister MJ was tired - she had hepatitis

• Like 4
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 4
(edited)

In case anyone is interested, "Call the Midwife" is on the longlist for  Returning Drama at the national television awards.  Both Zephryn Taite and Judy Parfit are up for Best Drama Performance.

Voting ends June 2 at 11 p.m. BST.  You can vote in as many categories as you like, but only one contender per category and once per email address.

Edited by Badger
removing unnecessary quote boxes
  • Thanks 2