Type keyword(s) to search

I'm So Disappointed In You: Celebrity Missteps

• Start Topic

Well Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the Rust armorer, already sued the ammo supplier almost exactly a year ago. 

The complaint names PDQ Arm and Prop and founder and managing member Seth Kenney as defendants.

After the 'Rust' movie set shooting, investigators look into the ammo supplier

"Hannah relied upon and trusted that Defendants would only supply dummy prop ammunition, or blanks, and no live rounds were ever to be on set," the lawsuit reads....

According to the lawsuit, Gutierrez Reed arrived on set Oct. 21, the day of the shooting, to find a box labeled "dummy rounds .45 LC." She said it was supplied by Kenney and PDQ. Unbeknownst to her, at least some of those bullets were in fact live rounds, the suit says.

Have any of you been following the Andrea Riseborough Oscar kerfuffle?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jan/27/oscars-campaign-procedures-andrea-riseborough-backlash

I have tended to like Riseborough in movies, but I thought her helping instigate this campaign for her to get an Oscar nomination and then acting surprised she got it after a very aggressive campaign from lots of her famous friends--and backing away from any sense of ownership of it after she started to get backlash for it--has not been a good look. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
12 hours ago, Zella said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jan/27/oscars-campaign-procedures-andrea-riseborough-backlash

I have tended to like Riseborough in movies, but I thought her helping instigate this campaign for her to get an Oscar nomination and then acting surprised she got it after a very aggressive campaign from lots of her famous friends--and backing away from any sense of ownership of it after she started to get backlash for it--has not been a good look. 

From what I read, the Oscar nom was due to an aggressive campaign by her talent agency, CAA.  The other actors who posted on social media encouraging people to vote to nominate her were also CAA clients.  That two actresses who were expected to be nominated for their performances, and who happen to be WOC, got shut out, only makes the backdoor campaigning even more suspect.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
36 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I can understand that argument. I just find it disingenuous that she's seeming to act like she was completely blindsided by the nomination, despite clearly being aware of the aggressive campaigning for her. 

My understanding is Frances Fisher is actually looking at the most likely punishment since her campaigning for the film named other potential nominees, which is not allowed under current rules. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 3
26 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I can kinda see both sides.  First, it doesn't appear that Ms. Riseborough had anything to do with the campaign on her behalf so it's unfair if she's penalized.

It is also true that the film for which she was nominated is a low budget indie film which did not have the money that the big studios have to promote their work for awards.  There doesn't seem to be anyone who doesn't think her performance in the film wasn't excellent and worthy of consideration.  And, if her nomination is rescinded, then the only path to Oscar noms will be through the big studios and their PR machines which is not fair, either.

Both of the actresses who might've otherwise been nominated appeared in studio sponsored big budget films and received significant PR campaigns to try to get them nominated.  A lot more money was spent on their campaigns than on Riseborough's.

• Like 5

I saw some back and forth about Frances Fischer.  Seemed to suggest that in her campaigning for Riseborough she discouraged any fallout concerns about Davis and Deadwyler (mentioned specifically)because they supposedly had noms on lock. 

Also a part of the back and forth was apparently for Riseborough to displace de Armas.  Which is an object lesson that u can't really control all outcomes you want.

Someone else (with apparently some knowledge about about how voting works) mentioned how block voting worked in her favor. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
19 hours ago, Zella said:

I posted about this in the Awards Season 2023 thread.  The most disheartening thing is how many people are defending her, the campaign - which might be illegal, and the movie.  She already got the nomination, yet her fans are relentless.  It's crazy.

6 hours ago, Notabug said:

From what I read, the Oscar nom was due to an aggressive campaign by her talent agency, CAA.  The other actors who posted on social media encouraging people to vote to nominate her were also CAA clients.  That two actresses who were expected to be nominated for their performances, and who happen to be WOC, got shut out, only makes the backdoor campaigning even more suspect.

Mary McCormack spearheaded the campaign, and her husband made the movie.

3 hours ago, Zella said:

I can understand that argument. I just find it disingenuous that she's seeming to act like she was completely blindsided by the nomination, despite clearly being aware of the aggressive campaigning for her. 

My understanding is Frances Fisher is actually looking at the most likely punishment since her campaigning for the film named other potential nominees, which is not allowed under current rules. 

When she said that Michelle and Viola (and another actress or two) were a lock, so you must vote or Andrea - holy shit.  My jaw dropped.

I posted an article that listed about 20-30 different actors who were part of this campaign.  Everyone from Rosie O'Donnell to Jenny McCarthy to Courteney Cox to Gwyneth Paltrow and on and on and on and on.  It is insane to me.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Everyone from Rosie O'Donnell to Jenny McCarthy to Courteney Cox to Gwyneth Paltrow

I'm not sure three out of those four are A listers, though. I haven't seen the movie Riseborough was in, but I'm familiar with some of her other work, and she's good. I don't know about Oscar caliber good, and I don't know close to enough about how the voting process works to speak to her chances, but isn't this why everyone decided they hated Anne Hathaway, because she campaigned too hard? I know that Melissa Leo got some flack when she was up for supporting actress for The Fighter, but that was over a decade ago.

• Like 3

Yeah, you don't have to be a front of the house celebrity to wield real power  in Hollywood. The right connections and relationships to people whose names would be largely unfamiliar to the public would hold more sway.  

I think most of the articles and posts of this on SM emphasize the names of the actors/actresses because those are the names that most people recognize do it adds some sensationalism to the story.

But this feels like it harkens back to the heyday of the Weinstein Oscar campaigns and the power sway and hold he seemed to have over people's careers. And he was definitely a behind the scenes power broker.  Social media wasn't around then in the same way as it is now so that everyone can collectively weigh in.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I posted about this in the Awards Season 2023 thread.  The most disheartening thing is how many people are defending her, the campaign - which might be illegal, and the movie.  She already got the nomination, yet her fans are relentless.  It's crazy.

Mary McCormack spearheaded the campaign, and her husband made the movie.

When she said that Michelle and Viola (and another actress or two) were a lock, so you must vote or Andrea - holy shit.  My jaw dropped.

I posted an article that listed about 20-30 different actors who were part of this campaign.  Everyone from Rosie O'Donnell to Jenny McCarthy to Courteney Cox to Gwyneth Paltrow and on and on and on and on.  It is insane to me.

This whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  I always thought the Oscar campaign started after you were nominated.  I mean I know they do the for your consideration in the lead up to the nominations but Mary Mccormick the director's wife personally called voters from what I read.   And the fact that two women of color that were expected to be nominated weren't just makes it look worse. 

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't even know why you would want to be nominated at that point, now that  everyone is going to be side-eyeing the nomination now for years to come.  

It's a textbook pyrrhic victory. I can't even imagine the furor if she won after all that. 

• Like 7

Entertainment Weekly used to do a story every year, maybe they still do, where they ask Academy members in the various departments to anonymously explain why they voted the way they did. The number of times older members said something to the effect of "I gave the ballot to my granddaughter to fill out" is very dismaying. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

It's a textbook pyrrhic victory. I can't even imagine the furor if she won after all that. 

Can you imagine anyone voting for her now?

7 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Entertainment Weekly used to do a story every year, maybe they still do, where they ask Academy members in the various departments to anonymously explain why they voted the way they did. The number of times older members said something to the effect of "I gave the ballot to my granddaughter to fill out" is very dismaying. 

That would explain some of the headscratcher winners over the years.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Ohhhhhh they're SOOOOO going to vote for her.  People act like she's being persecuted and stoned.  (Sorry I don't even know how the voting works LOL are people voting for the winner right now?)

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Ohhhhhh they're SOOOOO going to vote for her.  People act like she's being persecuted and stoned.  (Sorry I don't even know how the voting works LOL are people voting for the winner right now?)

I'm pretty sure it's anonymous but doesn't open until later in the year, so there's no telling how chaotic it will get! LOL

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1

I wouldn't get that extreme about it, but it's like you said, if her nomination does stand, it won't matter how much she deserves it. She could be the best actress out of all the contenders, and it'll still be seen as favoritism because of a campaign she may have had no part in. Christina Ricci, who doesn't seem to have been involved, said on Deadline's website that it feels "elitist" to only give consideration to actors and studios who can pour out money for promotion and press tours and the like, so in that sense I can see the other side of it too. For all the behind the scenes drama of Don't Worry, Darling (which was completely shut out of nominations), a bunch of people going somewhere like Venice costs a lot, and that's something Riseborough's movie didn't have. Either way, she's the one who'll be seen as questionable.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The voting isn’t until March and only lasts for 5 days.

Even if she gets a lot of sympathy from the industry, I can’t see her winning over Cate Blanchett, Michelle Yeoh (who are the clear favorites and both beloved in Hollywood) or Michelle Williams (who could get the consolation Oscar). 

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Christina Ricci, who doesn't seem to have been involved, said on Deadline's website that it feels "elitist" to only give consideration to actors and studios who can pour out money for promotion and press tours and the like, so in that sense I can see the other side of it too. For all the behind the scenes drama of Don't Worry, Darling (which was completely shut out of nominations), a bunch of people going somewhere like Venice costs a lot, and that's something Riseborough's movie didn't have.

This is technically true. But the studio money and promotion machine is not spread equally.  And the reality is, if a studio film is not going to get that support it is going to be a film like Till where the directors and most of the actors are relative unknowns.  So the perspective of studio vs. non-studio resources isn't and clear cut when it comes to equity especially when you factor in race and gender.

Beyond all that, though, I am just wondering... if her performance was as great as it was and so many actors feel so strongly that it was so great that they felt they had to go on social media and praise it to the skies then how the heck did she not get a SAG nomination?  Isn't it supposed to be the one award where it is just the actors recognizing other actors?  

I think people would not have giving the Oscar nom such a side eye if she had appeared on any of the pre-Oscar runs ups.  So far that I can tell, she's only been nominated for an Independent Spirit award.  And it can't just be blamed on industry money and glad handing because she's been largely ignored by  the vast plethora of critics awards as well and I think they try hard to be a little more off the beaten path than some of the industry awards.

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

With the possible exception of Miss Cox, the performers you mentioned are considered so annoying and controversial by many, that I would think that this would have caused many Oscar voters to vote against Miss Riseborough out of sheer spite for at least the other three mentioned performers!

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
16 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Beyond all that, though, I am just wondering... if her performance was as great as it was and so many actors feel so strongly that it was so great that they felt they had to go on social media and praise it to the skies then how the heck did she not get a SAG nomination?  Isn't it supposed to be the one award where it is just the actors recognizing other actors?  

I think people would not have giving the Oscar nom such a side eye if she had appeared on any of the pre-Oscar runs ups.  So far that I can tell, she's only been nominated for an Independent Spirit award.  And it can't just be blamed on industry money and glad handing because she's been largely ignored by  the vast plethora of critics awards as well and I think they try hard to be a little more off the beaten path than some of the industry awards.

Maybe it's that Riseborough is more a working actress than a movie star? I don't know, but others have noticed that there's even a difference between Julia Roberts the actress and Julia Roberts the movie star. The only reason this is a thing is because the director's wife thought Andrea was good enough to deserve mainstream attention, so she started calling people and it spiraled from there.

To me, what's interesting is that the Oscars are generally perceived as a bunch of rich people slobbering all over each other while the 'smaller' award ceremonies might be taken more seriously for artistic merit, but it's the Oscar that has the cachet, even now. Again, the only reason this is a thing is because somebody tried to slip a dark horse candidate into the mix, and now it's a big deal because there are those who don't want Riseborough there. If the "rules", such as they are, had been followed instead of what actually happened, would we mind it so much?

• Like 4
17 hours ago, DearEvette said:

The thoughts on the subject run along the same lines. I just don’t believe this is because her performance is just so amazing she was supported by some grassroots effort. She’s backed by a massively influential talent agency so portraying this as an underdog story is just disingenuous. 

This also wouldn’t be causing such an uproar if Viola Davis and Danielle Deadwyler weren’t snubbed in the process. I can’t help but notice that every person named as campaigning for Riseborough are also white. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

The thoughts on the subject run along the same lines. I just don’t believe this is because her performance is just so amazing she was supported by some grassroots effort. She’s backed by a massively influential talent agency so portraying this as an underdog story is just disingenuous. 

This also wouldn’t be causing such an uproar if Viola Davis and Danielle Deadwyler weren’t snubbed in the process. I can’t help but notice that every person named as campaigning for Riseborough is also white. 

I have hard time believing she was unaware of the campaign.  And if people thought her performance was so good why did they wait until Oscar voting?

• Like 2
On 1/28/2023 at 1:26 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

That post was the thing that made me think there needs to be repercussions from this. That she actually broke down the math about exactly how they needed to vote to get Andrea the nomination crossed a line. Hyping up a performance is one thing but telling people they needed to vote her in first position even if they didn’t think she deserved it was shocking. The Academy using ranked choice voting makes a big difference in the whole discussion. 

Yes --- there are so many shady things about this.  The more information I learn, the more I can't believe it.  It is just so deliberate and coordinated.

That list of 30 white actresses from Hollywood Reporter - Do I believe they saw other eligible or critically acclaimed 2022 films like Till or The Woman King?  Do I even believe they all saw Andrea's film?  No, I don't.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 6
8 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yes --- there are so many shady things about this.  The more information I learn, the more I can't believe it.  It is just so deliberate and coordinated.

That list of 30 white actresses from Hollywood Reporter - Do I believe they saw other eligible or critically acclaimed 2022 films like Till or The Woman King?  Do I even believe they all saw Andrea's film?  No, I don't.

I had never heard of this actress or her movie.  If her performance was so good that it inspired such IMO suspect actions to get her nomination why wasn't there buzz about her at the beginning of awards season?

• Like 8

Zach Levi has a major movie sequel about to come out and has decided to post vague agreement with anti-vax, conspiracy theorist, anti-trans account about how awful pfizer is that is being interpreted as anti-vax. That led it for other questionable things he has done to be brought up.

Two Days After The New "Shazam!" Trailer Dropped, Zachary Levi Seemingly Made Some Anti-Vax Tweets

Thoughts?

I’m split on it. On one hand nothing is all that bad and can be explained in a more innocuous way. On the other hand, I stopped following on social media during the pandemic because I began to suspect he was a lot like Adam Baldwin.

Edited to add: Turns out that a day after he posted this he announced that his father passed away from cancer. And in the past he has posted on instagram about how much free rein Pharmaceutical companies have.

Definitely seems like a big pharma sucks post and not an anti-vax stance. 

1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Do I even believe they all saw Andrea's film?  No, I don't.

From what I've read, the director's wife was a big proponent behind promoting the campaign, including telling friends how often to post about it. It's also been noted a lot of the promotion from celebrity social media included similar wording, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were given a template to use that they then modified. And all of that definitely makes me think a lot of them didn't actually watch the movie and this is the celebrity version of "Copy and paste this and let's see how many friends I have who care" chain posts. 

• Like 6
8 hours ago, Dani said:

Zach Levi has a major movie sequel about to come out and has decided to post vague agreement with anti-vax, conspiracy theorist, anti-trans account about how awful pfizer is that is being interpreted as anti-vax. That led it for other questionable things he has done to be brought up.

Two Days After The New "Shazam!" Trailer Dropped, Zachary Levi Seemingly Made Some Anti-Vax Tweets

Thoughts?

I’m split on it. On one hand nothing is all that bad and can be explained in a more innocuous way. On the other hand, I stopped following on social media during the pandemic because I began to suspect he was a lot like Adam Baldwin.

Well shit. I started to be a fan because of Chuck and a couple things he's done since. I've never really followed his personal life all that close except to know he married Missy Peregrym then they got divorced not long after. I saw his appearances on talk shows last year to speak about mental health. Oh he was on an episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" last year too.

Seeing that he's been on "The Joe Rogan Experience", is a freaking fan of that disgusting thing named Jordan Petersen who validates incels thoughts on women and maybe being against vaccines too. Ugh. For those of you laughing at me I'm hoping you've never read or watched what Jordan thinks of women in general and how he's convinced himself that women are such a danger to men's masculinity.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 8
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Seeing that he's been on "The Joe Rogan Experience" and is a freaking fan of that disgusting thing named Jordan Petersen get two big "Oh hell no" reactions from me. All of that and maybe being against vaccines too. Ugh.

I know who he is but didn't really have an opinion on him.  Until reading what you typed.  Now I have a very unfavorable opinion of him. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

Well shit. I started to be a fan because of Chuck and a couple things he's done since. I've never really followed his personal life all that close except to know he married Missy Peregrym then they got divorced not long after. I saw his appearances on talk shows last year to speak about mental health. Oh he was on an episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" last year too.

Seeing that he's been on "The Joe Rogan Experience" and is freaking fan of that disgusting thing named Jordan Petersen are two big "Oh hell no" reactions from me. All of that and maybe being against vaccines too. Ugh.

I just edited my post to add that a day after his posted he announced his father died which definitely puts that post in a different light. 

But, I agree that knowing he was on Joe Rogan praising Jordan Petersen impacts my opinion of him negatively. 

21 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

He has tried to clarify his position by citing this $2.3 billion fine by the Justice Department for healthcare fraud. Which I had not actually been aware of. I can give him a pass for possible anti-big pharma rather than anti-vax, if true.

Ha.  Sure, Zach. I just bet you're railing against Pfizer due to a fine they receive 14 years ago.  And yet, if you needed it, I have little doubt you'd gobble up the little blue pill. Forgive my skepticism. 

This just so clearly reads as retroactive justification. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 10
  • LOL 1
12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I've been side-eying him ever since I found out Zachary Levi is his stage name and he's not Jewish.  

Has he ever claimed to be Jewish? His stage name is just his first and middle names because his last name doesn't sound 'nice' enough, or whatever.

There are definitely things to side-eye him for, though; I don't know if his name is one of them.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Trini said:

Has he ever claimed to be Jewish?

He has not. He is very vocal about being a Christian. He talks about his faith a lot. He has talked about losing roles because casting directors that he was “too Jewish”. 

13 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, Zachary Levi is gross and I feel like we've known this for years.

I don’t think he’s been a big enough star for it to get that much attention. His problematic aspects have mostly gone under the radar. 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:06 PM, bluegirl147 said:

That would explain some of the headscratcher winners over the years.

Would that have applied to some films that I personally disliked, like Titanic from 1997 (that still got all the awards, despite how bad I thought it was)?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I can't read behind the paywall, but according to this TMZ article, the reasoning for charging him now makes sense to me.

the D.A. says Baldwin knew the drill ... that the armorer should have been present, checking the gun to make sure it was safe, and Baldwin knew that ... yet he relied on the assistant director who had no authority to clear the weapon for use.

The D.A. says Baldwin was supposed to undergo firearms training but failed to do so. Adding Baldwin was then supposed to get minimal training for 30 minutes, but was on his cell phone for most of that time speaking with his family.

• Like 1
  • Useful 9

I heard they're not rescinding Andrea's Oscar nomination.

Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 7.45.16 PM.png

Come the fuck on.  There's just no way.

I guess she hasn’t watched many movies. The level of hyperbole around this performance is just absurd. I went and looked at that tweet and Frances Fisher is all over the comments. I just can not believe that this overwhelming and repeated promotion was just because they were dazzled by the performance. 

At this point it wouldn’t shock me if she wins. I’m not surprised they’re not rescinding the nomination because doing so would just further expose all the unethical shit the studios do to get nominations. But if they were smart, they would have expanded the field due to what they say was “campaigning tactics that caused concern”.

Come the fuck on.  There's just no way.

Yep. I am now looking sideways at every actor named as being involved in this, especially Frances Fisher. Some of them I wasn't particularly into already but at least I didn't wonder if they were racist. The Academy Awards keeps finding new and better ways to show their ass and it seems to me like their fundamental problems will defy being fixed until the current generation of members either dies off or is outnumbered.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Like 4

Out of everything Meryl Streep has done, Viola Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, every actress from the 20s, 30s, 40s,  etc. foreign film, etc. out of everything she's seen this is the best female performance of all time.  I mean really.  Why do people feel this need to phrase everything as so hyperbolic?  It automatically makes the person lose credibility.

I care a lot about this stuff, and I don't even know how I'd decide between say, my favourite 5-10 female performances of all time.  How would I even begin to compare them?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 12
17 hours ago, Dani said:

At this point it wouldn’t shock me if she wins.

That had better not happen. I'd accept it if Michelle Yeoh loses to Cate, but to Andrea because because of this shit? The Twitter uproar over Chadwick losing* the Oscar in his very last role will be nothing compared to the hellstorm that will be unleashed.

*No way a dig at Anthony Hopkins, he was great in The Father.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1