Type keyword(s) to search

S02.09: Hart Shaped Box

• Start Topic

Good ending to the first half of the episodes.  Glad that Kate realized that she and Tully are more than friends or even best friends.  

Can't believe the teaser or the fact that we have to wait till June to see the rest.

• Love 7
On 12/4/2022 at 5:28 PM, greekmom said:

Good ending to the first half of the episodes.  Glad that Kate realized that she and Tully are more than friends or even best friends.  

Can't believe the teaser or the fact that we have to wait till June to see the rest.

JUNE? Sorry for all-caps, but they usually just leave it a few months. With another show, it's just a month between parts one and two. 

Damn. That teaser. I hope it's a red herring, and they're both getting married at the same time. 

• Love 2

Well, I do feel that season 2 part 1 was weaker than season 1, but at least they really stuck the landing in this final episode. It was really good. Great song choice at the end with The Scientist and I loved the scene where Mark was banging on Kate's door, that was very well-done.

• Like 1
On 12/4/2022 at 5:08 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Yep, I'm hoping there's a twist in there and that teaser isn't what it looks like.

Me too. I had a thought that just maybe Tully is officiating Johnny and Kate renewing their vows or something. I hope Kate’s cancer scare is just a bit of a red herring and she ends up recovering and it doesn’t change into something about how Tully needs to marry Johnny after Kate passes, especially as 10 years later Marah would be age 26/27 or so, so they really can’t use the angle that she needs a mum, particularly as she’s always been very close to Tully anyway. I’ve also never really seen any real chemistry between Johnny and Tully. They had a one night stand. Tully seemed to be way more hung up on Nick than Johnny. 

Edited by Rapunzel
Grammar
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Isolated for months in Antarctica...mmkay. Kate and Tully both have phones...maybe try that, Kate?

The departure from the books continues to disappoint.

I know. I thought "she has a phone, call her!" when she was banging on the door. 

I need to read the books. 

• Like 1
On 12/7/2022 at 6:27 PM, Rapunzel said:

Me too. I had a thought that just maybe Tully is officiating Johnny and Kate renewing their vows or something. I hope Kate’s cancer scare is just a bit of a red herring and she ends up recovering and it doesn’t change into something about how Tully needs to marry Johnny after Kate passes, especially as 10 years later Marah would be age 26/27 or so, so they really can’t use the angle that she needs a mum, particularly as she’s always been very close to Tully anyway. I’ve also never really seen any real chemistry between Johnny and Tully. They had a one night stand. Tully seemed to be way more hung up on Nick than Johnny. 

Here's my speculation about the teaser...it is 10 years later, so 2015. At that point, as was said, Marah would be in her mid-20s. I think it's Marah's wedding. Not sure what role Tully plays, but she may be an officiant or something. It's unknown if Kate is alive or not, though. 

• Like 1

This season was way better than the first, but the way they "broke up" Tully & Kate rang false to me and bothered me throughout those episodes. If everything was the same, but Tully was tipsy and caused the accident, all of the following would have made sense... but the accident wasn't her fault and everything leading up to it was reasonable. I truly don't think this would have destroyed 30 years of friendship. So yeah.

As far as the cliffhanger, I'm choosing to believe Tully is finally marrying Danny and Johnny is there to walk her down the aisle.

• Love 4

the accident wasn't her fault and everything leading up to it was reasonable. I truly don't think this would have destroyed 30 years of friendship. So yeah.

Totally agree - had they REVERSED the accident with the birth control permission slip, THAT is something I could see Kate blowing up 30 years of friendship over. The accident was truly just that - an ACCIDENT. But if Mara went to a frat party and had to be rescued and THEN Tully gave her permission for birth control without talking to Kate, Kate and Johnny could spin that into a massive betrayal.

On 12/7/2022 at 9:12 AM, Jillybean said:

Isolated for months in Antarctica...mmkay. Kate and Tully both have phones...maybe try that, Kate?

The departure from the books continues to disappoint.

I thought this is around 2003- 2004?   While I did have a cell phone, it didn't call Antarctica.  In fact, I wonder if any plain phones could?  

On 12/14/2022 at 1:21 PM, Cosmocrush said:

I thought this is around 2003- 2004?   While I did have a cell phone, it didn't call Antarctica.  In fact, I wonder if any plain phones could?  

But Tully isn't in Antarctica at the time Kate goes to her door (and I'm pretty sure Kate doesn't know Tully is going there, anyway). They literally missed one another by minutes at the apartment. Kate goes to see Tully, she isn't home...give her a call!

• Like 2
On 12/13/2022 at 6:43 AM, marcee said:

This season was way better than the first, but the way they "broke up" Tully & Kate rang false to me and bothered me throughout those episodes. If everything was the same, but Tully was tipsy and caused the accident, all of the following would have made sense... but the accident wasn't her fault and everything leading up to it was reasonable. I truly don't think this would have destroyed 30 years of friendship. So yeah.

That didn’t make sense to me, either. Why was Kate all “You let her go to a FRAT PARTY?!” Wouldn’t Marah have told her that Tully thought she was at a movie? I also don’t get why everyone seemed to think Tully was at fault for the accident. The other guy ran a red light and even admitted to being at fault.

I have one complaint about this series: Cloud’s aging makeup. They give her plenty of wrinkles on her face and neck, but SHE STILL HAS THE PERFECTLY TAUT JAWLINE OF A TWENTY-SOMETHING. That’s not at all how aging works. With as many wrinkles as she has, collagen loss means her face should be sagging. Not going to handwave that she’d had a facelift at some point, because even if Tully would’ve paid for it, it doesn’t seem like something Cloud would ever do. And if she had, her neck would look a lot better than it does. Seems like just about every show I’ve seen do aging makeup does this same thing. Is it that technically difficult to accomplish, or is it just that no actress wants to look like Queen Elizabeth in her later years?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

...or is it just that no actress wants to look like Queen Elizabeth in her later years?

I think it's this😉

10 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

That didn’t make sense to me, either. Why was Kate all “You let her go to a FRAT PARTY?!” Wouldn’t Marah have told her that Tully thought she was at a movie? I also don’t get why everyone seemed to think Tully was at fault for the accident. The other guy ran a red light and even admitted to being at fault.

Marah wasn't supposed to go anywhere and Tully was arrested for driving while intoxicated, although she certainly wasn't drunk.   In fact Tully rescued Marah.   I'm not sure why they would even test Tully since she was clearly the victim in the accident, but yeah, I thought Kate completely overreacted - especially at the funeral.  I felt terrible for Tully.    The fact that Kate comes running to Tully only AFTER getting a cancer diagnosis kind of made me angry actually.  If Tully had the diagnosis, I'm not sure Kate would have opened her door; look how she behaved when Tully came to her house.    So,  I was glad Tully was gone on her own adventure, at least for now. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

I thought Kate completely overreacted - especially at the funeral.  I felt terrible for Tully.    The fact that Kate comes running to Tully only AFTER getting a cancer diagnosis kind of made me angry actually.  If Tully had the diagnosis, I'm not sure Kate would have opened her door; look how she behaved when Tully came to her house.    So,  I was glad Tully was gone on her own adventure, at least for now. 

Kate turning Tully away at the funeral really made me hate her. Kate’s dad was the only father figure Tully had, so that was really cruel. And this is the friend she hid a body with, FFS! (Even if he did turn out not to be dead.) All through this season I was liking Kate less and less and this just clinched it for me. It seemed pretty ironic to me that she thought Tully was “making it all about herself” by showing up at the funeral when Kate’s response to her was making it all about herself. And I did not feel the least bit sorry for her when calling her new friend to tell her she was engaged was so disappointing for her.

Teenage Kate appeared miscast to me. The actress playing teenage Tully looked a lot more like adult Tully than teenage Kate vs. adult Kate. Maybe it was just those ridiculously huge glasses? I was in high school around the same time as those characters and I don’t recall anybody wearing glasses that huge in the ‘70s—that was more mid-to-late ‘80s thing.

BTW, I’ve lived in Snohomish since 1992. Until 2008, the only high school here was Snohomish High School. They used that name in War Games so why not in this show?

• Like 3

As much as Kate has grated the last few episodes with her treatment of Tully for her apparently unpardonable sin of letting Marah go out while grounded and blaming her for the accident that was not Tully’s fault, I felt for her getting that diagnosis and going straight to Tully’s. It didn’t hurt that The Scientist was playing. 

I think the wedding is for Marah, who will be in her mid-20s then and not Tully marrying Johnny after Kate’s presumed passing. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I think the wedding is for Marah, who will be in her mid-20s then and not Tully marrying Johnny after Kate’s presumed passing. 

That would be logical except wasn't Tully in a white dress?  She wouldn't wear a long white dress ot Marah's wedding.

I'm hoping it was just a red herring but I think it's probably Tully marrying the neighbor guy. 

• Like 1

She was in a white dress. A cocktail one

I'd have to rewatch to be sure, but I thought it was a white robe she was wearing while doing her makeup. I really hope they don't go there - they already did a red herring when Johnny returned from NYC and went straight to Tully's apartment instead of Kate and it's equally illogical that they'd get together now.

• Like 2

Just finished this (I watched all of season 1 too, as a refresher). For some reason I thought there were 10 episodes and that was it for the show, so I’m thinking, how are they going to wrap all this up in one more ep? Instead it’s a 10-second teaser for a third season, or second season, part two, whatever.

Thoughts on Kate and Tully: They have both used each other throughout their lives, as friends do. Yes, Tully is more out there and obvious with her needs, but Kate is all Johnny this, Johnny that, for 25 years, and Tully has always supported her. Kate says that Tully always makes it about Tully, but Kate always makes it about Kate. And when needed, Tully is there and I think the show is pointing this out, that Kate’s accusation is flawed. Half of the last ep was about Kate’s butt tanning burn and her endless angst about Johnny (again) and how Tully ended up jeopardizing a career moment to bring Kate to the airport.

I don’t know much about breast cancer manifesting as a rash, but that was huge and nasty. I don’t know how much time passed between Kate trying to show it to her new friend and her actual doctor appointment. Nonetheless, unless it goes from zero to extreme in a matter of days, it’s crazy that she or Johnny wouldn’t have been concerned about it much earlier.

As for the teaser, Marah’s wedding makes the most sense. 

• Like 3