Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E08: HummViewer; Slimey Honey Slime; FireFighter1; ShredSkinz

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Daniel Lubetzky, founder of KIND and co-founder of SOMOS Foods, returns to the Tank. First into the Tank is a husband and wife from Loveland, Colorado, who present an exciting way to attract hummingbirds with their feeding tool. An entrepreneur from Burbank, California, oozes with excitement after sharing how he helps others ease anxiety and reduce stress with his entertaining product; while an entrepreneur from El Dorado Hills, California, empowers homeowners to own a fire-defense system in case of emergency with her tool. Last into the Tank is an athlete from Lynn, Massachusetts, who introduces his wearable and eco-friendly fitness design making it easier and faster to sweat.

In a "Shark Tank" update, Anna Skaya from Redondo Beach, California, and her investor Robert Herjavec update viewers on Basepaws, her pet genetic testing company.

The Sharks in this episode are Mark Cuban, Daymond John, Kevin O'Leary, Lori Greiner and guest Shark Daniel Lubetzky.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

1-HummViewer -Hummingbird Feeder Mask-Mask has a feeder on the front of a plastic mask so you see hummingbirds feed.     The visor has three feeders, with sugar water.    They have a patent, margins are good.    They have a hummingbird influencer, and his Tik Tok had over 5 million views.      The pitchers are from Loveland, Colorado.    Daniel tells an adorable story about his father and birds.   

They make the deal with Daniel.     (Daniel the guest Shark comes out wearing the visor, hugging the pitchers).  

(I missed the actual deal , so I had to go to the recap update sites to find out). 

2-Sliimeyhoney -(Sliimey is the right spelling, with two 'i''s in it)-  anxiety solution playing with food, slime flavors to relieve anxiety by playing with your food.  Comes in many flavors.   Over 100 different slimes online only, he works out of his garage.  Sells for $10 to $16, great margins.   There is an additive you can add to change the consistency.  He just graduated from high school.   Watching Kevin play with it is hysterical. $1.2 million sales lifetime, about 70% margins.   I love the seller, he's such a creative person.   His mom is a CPA, so she keeps track of sales and the accounting.  Kevin wants a flavor called Wonder Slime.  Kevin makes an offer, Daymond makes an offer.   (I wonder if Kevin every got the Sliimeyhoney off his hands?) (When masks were in short supply, the company made the visors without the nectar containers for health care workers. )

The deal is made with Daymond, what a good choice for the company.

3-FireFighter1- Pool Water Fire Hose-It’s a home resource to use your home pool, connect it to your pool pump, and spray 80 gallons per minute.    The connector hooks right onto your pool pump, and the pumps are standard, hook the connector up to the hose, and you’re ready to go.

Makes the deal with Mark and Lori.  

4-Shredskinz -a single use sauna suit-makes you sweat more while working out. (What are the dangers of over heating while working out?).  Single use sweat progress, ecologically safe.    Daniel offers exactly what the pitcher asked for.  Mark makes an offer.   (This product scares me.  A friend saw her neighbor mowing in a full suit like this years ago, she was the one who called the ambulance when he collapsed, from a heart attack. No he didn't make it)

Deal made with Mark.

Update on Basepaws Cat DNA kit.  She made the deal with Kevin.   They’re partnering with pet care companies, developing vaccines, and sold for $50 million.  Founder still works at the company, and they’re developing dog DNA kits. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

This is one of the worst episodes I recall. 

I can't imagine wearing a plastic bag and exercising. So uncomfortable and disgusting. 

I don't get at all buying smelly goo to play with. Plus he doesn't need a partner.  He is making a ton of money as it is

Hummingbird viewer?  Such a niche product no chance an investor makes money

A fire house for people with swimming pools?  Again such a niche market. Maybe it's different in California. Around here very few have private pools. And this assumes the you can hook It up and use if before the fire dept arrives.  And it's $400 to 500?  I don't get it

Who has the patience to sit still and wait for a hummingbird to land on your face? Not me.

The sweat suit is disgusting. Plus it can’t be healthy to expel that much water in a single workout. You’d have to drink an equivalent amount to stay hydrated, so what’s the point? (Also, while the sharks praised the guy for picking up his trash on the way out, what about the sweat he poured all over the rug? I hope he returned with a steam cleaner.)

That slime that smells like food is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The kid said no one will eat it because it tastes bad, but apparently he’s never heard of the Tide pod challenge. And those didn’t even smell like cupcakes.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Who has the patience to sit still and wait for a hummingbird to land on your face? Not me.

The sweat suit is disgusting. Plus it can’t be healthy to expel that much water in a single workout. You’d have to drink an equivalent amount to stay hydrated, so what’s the point? (Also, while the sharks praised the guy for picking up his trash on the way out, what about the sweat he poured all over the rug? I hope he returned with a steam cleaner.)

That slime that smells like food is a lawsuit waiting to happen. The kid said no one will eat it because it tastes bad, but apparently he’s never heard of the Tide pod challenge. And those didn’t even smell like cupcakes.

Yes I thought that too some kids are going to eat that smelly play dough or whatever. Or crazy adults. 

• Love 1

The hummingbird feeder is hilarious. It's a niche product yes, but one I can see going quietly and steadily for years. They were looking for a mentor more than an investor and only wanted $75,000. These people aren't trying to be millionaires and I think they all got a good deal.

The Sharks were relatively gentle with the slime kid, treating him as a 17 year old, not an adult. Was glad he went with Daymond, who is younger and hipper. WonderSlime would smell like...money? I'm sure it's non-toxic. Kids eat Play-Dough all the time without harm and it also tastes bad. This exchange just killed me:

"How do you know what your profit is?"

"My Mom is a CPA and does the books."  

Hee.

Fires are a huge danger in California. Practically each year there's one that becomes the biggest/most expensive in state history. Lots of houses have pools. There are probably many homeowners who would be willing to shell out $500 to help protect their house. My thinking is the pool water will get exhausted pretty quickly though.

All the water sweated out will be replaced as soon the person re-hydrates. 

BasePaws actually worked out better than Theranos.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I think if most of the businesses/products on Shark Tank in general were privately presented to the Sharks without being on TV, they wouldn't get deals. That only 2 I saw with money potential tonight were the disposable sweat suit and the Fire Hose which I thought would have gotten more offers. The slime thing I totally don't get & the Hummingbird thing is for too small a niche community.

6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The guy mentioned that the suits can be used to achieve a goal…he mentioned a boxer trying to make a weight class.  This is a weigh in.  Once the official weigh in is done, they rehydrate and put the weight back on.  Lori mentioned trying to fit a dress.   Kim Kardashian mentions doing this to fit the Marilyn dress.  Models, body builders and actors who have to take their shirts off do this.  They get a lot of temporary definition and risk long term health issues if they do this repeatedly.  It is not a permanent weight loss solution.  Or even a temporary one since drinking water, preferably with electrolytes, will reverse it.  This is why the guy was explicitly not touting weight loss benefits.  
https://www.insider.com/chris-hemsworth-shirtless-scene-dehyrdation-routine-trainer-2022-3

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Well he isn't claiming it as a weight loss product but he is implying

Im sure he isn't making all his money of brides and boxers and models.  

Agree.  But he is being careful about liability  

And it is why he picked Mark who can give him an in with athletes. 

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

A fire house for people with swimming pools?  Again such a niche market. Maybe it's different in California. Around here very few have private pools. And this assumes the you can hook It up and use if before the fire dept arrives.  And it's $400 to 500?  I don't get it

It's a lot different and not just California has wild fires or pools, not even just the USA believe it or not. Her point was it was to use to help stop embers igniting your house on fire when the fire was a mile or so away. $500 is a small price to pay compared to losing your house & people pay a lot more for a tv every day.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It's a lot different and not just California has wild fires or pools, not even just the USA believe it or not. Her point was it was to use to help stop embers igniting your house on fire when the fire was a mile or so away. $500 is a small price to pay compared to losing your house & people pay a lot more for a tv every day.

I get the point she was making. 

But where I live very few people have private pools anymore. Most places they make a neighborhood pool. And wildfires or spreading fires just don't happen. 

It's regional I suppose.  The market is people with pools who also are in areas prone to wildfires. Not just California but still limited. Anyone with a pool could buy one sure. But the idea you're going to be able to escape your house with your family rescue all your stuff hook this up turn it on all before a fire department arrives assuming you call 911 when it starts.....again unless it's a wildfire prone area seems unlikely.  

On 12/2/2022 at 7:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Sliimeyhoney -(Sliimey is the right spelling, with two 'i''s in it)-  anxiety solution playing with food, slime flavors to relieve anxiety by playing with your food.  Comes in many flavors.

I need some scientific evidence that playing with something that smells like food relieves more anxiety than just playing with any other kind of playdough, slime, putty, etc. I don't see it being as satisfying as making your mashed potatoes into a replica of Devil's Tower (borrowed from Close Encounters of the Third Kind).

My mother's complaint about us playing with our food was when my brother and I would play checkers with peanut butter cups or M & Ms. This isn't going to end that temptation.

They had essentially the same product from a physical therapist a few seasons back. It is obviously not new.

22 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

This is one of the worst episodes I recall. 

With the exception of the fire hose, every product just kept getting dumber and dumber. This show just keeps getting better and better at convincing people to buy stupid stuff that is a total waste of money.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Fires are a huge danger in California. Practically each year there's one that becomes the biggest/most expensive in state history. Lots of houses have pools. There are probably many homeowners who would be willing to shell out $500 to help protect their house. My thinking is the pool water will get exhausted pretty quickly though.

I had a bunch of questions that didn't get answers:

How big does the pool have to be in order to wet down what size house?

How close does the pool have to be to the house in order to use it?

What if those embers land on your lawn or shrubbery? Is it still going keep the house from going up in flames from the bottom up instead of the top down?

23 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And this assumes the you can hook It up and use if before the fire dept arrives.

During the Marshall Fire, one guy turned his lawn sprinklers on full blast before he evacuated. His house remained standing while the others around him burned to the ground. His house was still ruined from all the smoke, so I don't know if he was really any better off.

In some fire-prone areas people install a sprinkler system on their rooves. That would negate the need for this product. 

Edited by eel21788
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

The sweat suit is disgusting. 

I'm hoping no one takes if off until after he gets into the shower. I don't want to even try to imagine what the gym carpet would smell like or how often the gym would have to mop the floor otherwise.

I wanted to know if it would keep me dry and warm if I walked around in it during a rain storm. I like that application of it a lot better than the one he was trying to sell it for.

So, could one hook up Fire Fighter 1 to the ShredzSuit to help put out a fire?

I thought the Fire Fighter 1 was a really good idea.  The embers are what furthers the fire/spreads the fire, so dousing one's roof could help prevent the spread.  They will need to clearly limit their liability so that people don't think it would put out a fire (with the exception of a small fire that just ignited as the presenter stated.  Unfortunately there are people who stay with their homes trying to prevent fire rather than evacuating so I hope this doesn't give people a false sense of safety.

I like the hummingbird helmet-thought it was clever.  I would not get one for myself, but there are probably people who would enjoy it.  

• Love 2
On 12/2/2022 at 11:33 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think a lot of areas that are prone to wildfires are areas where pools are more common, so it does seem like a smart idea. Definitely a niche market, but still a potential to be profitable.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:12 AM, 30 Helens said:

Who WANTS a hummingbird to land on your face? It sounds terrifying. My grandparents used to have a birdfeeder right outside their window so you could just sit on the couch and watch the birds. Who needs it closer than that?

I want to know what a Hummingbird Influencer is. A bird watcher who promotes bird-related products? Or does someone create an account for birds, the way some people create Instagram accounts for their dogs.

On 12/3/2022 at 10:29 PM, eel21788 said:

I need some scientific evidence that playing with something that smells like food relieves more anxiety than just playing with any other kind of playdough, slime, putty, etc. I don't see it being as satisfying as making your mashed potatoes into a replica of Devil's Tower (borrowed from Close Encounters of the Third Kind).

I don't think he was claiming that it relieved more anxiety than regular slime. I think he was just claiming playing with your food was fun, and it also relieved anxiety.

I'm kind of stunned it makes so much money. It seems like something people might buy for their kids once, but it sounded like he had repeat customers?

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I'm kind of stunned it makes so much money. It seems like something people might buy for their kids once, but it sounded like he had repeat customers?

He's only sold around 100,000 units. It's not that impressive and probably does indicate that there aren't massive reorders from previous customers.

I do wonder how many of these entrepreneurs claim to have a large volume of sales when they are actually talking about how many units they have sold wholesale without actually knowing how many of them actually sell to the consumer once they get into retail stores.

• Useful 1
On 12/2/2022 at 11:33 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I think that it is strictly intended for those niche markets, like California where most people have pools and they get a lot of fires.

12 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I don't think he was claiming that it relieved more anxiety than regular slime. I think he was just claiming playing with your food was fun, and it also relieved anxiety.

I just keep thinking of all the germs and dust, etc that keeps getting embedded deeper and deeper into it, ugh.

However, he said that he comes out with new kinds every week.  They are beautiful to look at.  It would not surprise me at all to hear that many people simply order ones in a "favorite kind," and then just put them on a shelf as decoration - that people have started collecting these.

___

The plastic exercise suit: No question that using these is not healthy at all.  You are deliberately trying to drain as much water from your body as quickly as possible.  He seemed like a really nice guy who talked about wanting his son to be proud of him. Maybe I'm just cranky, but maybe he could find a different job where you aren't jeopardizing people's health and/or lives with your product? Yes, people who are hellbent on doing this will do it, but why contribute to making it easier.  I don't know...

___

The hummingbird feeder made me laugh, and if he does well, good for him.  They seemed really nice and I hope that Daniel helps them though he is STILL on my shit list for that stunt he pulled with the diaper cream lady. Nope, apparently I am STILL not willing to let that go.

Edited by aemom
Added separators for readability
  • LOL 2
On 12/3/2022 at 5:42 AM, DEL901 said:

Agree.  But he is being careful about liability

He is.  His site has this disclaimer

"WARNING: REDUCE THE RISK OF OVERHEATING. Drink plenty of water while you’re in the ShredSkinz suit, as use of this product can lead to dehydration, heat stroke, heat exhaustion, and other heat-related illnesses, and in extreme cases death. If you notice symptoms of these conditions (such as dizziness, vomiting, muscle cramps, nausea, and/or fainting), seek emergency medical help immediately. 

People over 65, children, and people with high blood pressure are more at risk when exposed to extreme heat. Pregnant women and children (under the age of 18) should not use sauna suits under any circumstance. Consult your physician or healthcare provider before using ShredSkinz."

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
49 minutes ago, lh25 said:

He is.  His site has this disclaimer

"WARNING: REDUCE THE RISK OF OVERHEATING. Drink plenty of water while you’re in the ShredSkinz suit

So, if you are drinking enough water to replace all the fluid that you are losing by wearing the damn thing, what is the actual purpose of it? Also, if you are losing all that volume in sweat but only replacing it with plain water, what prevents water intoxication which can be just as deadly as dehydration?

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

So, if you are drinking enough water to replace all the fluid that you are losing by wearing the damn thing, what is the actual purpose of it? Also, if you are losing all that volume in sweat but only replacing it with plain water, what prevents water intoxication which can be just as deadly as dehydration?

He says to replace the water, but everyone knows that a boxer trying to make weight class, an actor trying to look good, etc. etc. won’t do the replacement until after the weigh in or scene or whatever.  And I would think electrolytes would be important too.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, eel21788 said:

I do wonder how many of these entrepreneurs claim to have a large volume of sales when they are actually talking about how many units they have sold wholesale without actually knowing how many of them actually sell to the consumer once they get into retail stores.

Sometimes the Sharks ask about this. When they say they are in stores they ask about whether they have gotten re-orders or if they know the sell through numbers. But sometimes they don't ask. They are not consistent at all.

6 hours ago, eel21788 said:

He has to say that to avoid getting sued. I bet anyone using it to really meet a wait doesn't drink enough water to replace what they lose.

I thought the hummingbird thing was somewhat entertaining but anyone who feeds hummingbirds knows it is not necessary. All I have to do to get a hummingbird to check me out pretty close to my face is to stand still on the deck after I fill the feeder. Those little guys are fearless!

• Love 4
On 12/7/2022 at 9:34 AM, aemom said:

The hummingbird feeder made me laugh, and if he does well, good for him.  They seemed really nice and I hope that Daniel helps them though he is STILL on my shit list for that stunt he pulled with the diaper cream lady. Nope, apparently I am STILL not willing to let that go.

What is this in reference to?

8 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

What is this in reference to?

It was on Season 12 Episode 11. The strange lady who had invented a new way to spread diaper cream on babies' butts didn't realize that the real invention was how the diaper cream tube was attached to her device. Daniel said he'd invest in her device if he got 100% of the proceeds from the patent for the attachment.

for full disclosure: I plagiarized myself from the last time someone asked about this Season 13 Episode 3.

• Thanks 1