Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

Be honest. Which one of you tried to steal Swan Queen?

Tchaikovsky's dead, Serena. They gave him concrete shoes and sank him in the lake. :(  No one else is going to try it.

Edited by Faemonic

Since the opinion of the actors on their characters is taken as immensely influential, it was a crushing blow to many Swan Queen shippers that Lana considers Emma and Regina to be "friends and sisters."

Lana said the same thing in S4 (and got some heat for it back then as well). But this interview seems to have really pissed off the shippers, coming in the heels of the CS-heavy 5A.  

Lana said the same thing in S4 (and got some heat for it back then as well). But this interview seems to have really pissed off the shippers, coming in the heels of the CS-heavy 5A.  

I think everything for them is holding on by a thread. I don't think they take OQ all that seriously because Robin just stands there, and there's barely any focus on the couple, and the character other than his baby mama drama.

There was barely any focus on CS in 4B (even 4A, they had moments, but nothing like 5A), and considering the narrative from Lana, and the writers about how Emma sacrificed herself for Regina at the end of season 4, I can see where the tin foil hats came in, because A&E were also wearing those even though they're the ones who wrote the episode.

5A has happened, Emma is heading to the UW to get her boyfriend back, there have been wedding anvils here and there. I think what might blow up the whole thing is a bed scene for CS, which I don't care about personally, but I know CS shippers want it, and I'm sure SQ shippers really don't want it, so maybe I do want it after all, just because, you know, reasons. 

Edited by YaddaYadda
  • Love 2

I want a bed scene simply to be mean. lol I don't really care for bed scenes unless they are just talking and having a nice moment.

CS is the only couple that hasn't had one or a "morning after". Snowing made tacos in S2, Outlaw Queen had crypt sex in S4, and Rumpbelle have slept together many times.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1

Its so weird that we still dont know that the two people who were more into one night stands haven't touch genitals yet.

When they finally get that scene I hope I have popcorn ready. Both sides of the fandom better not disappoint me.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 3

I remember when they use to Sa once he gets her he'll get tired of her. But now they are saying its Emma stalling because the next person she sleeps with will be the woman who verbally abused her for an episode. lol

Ok, so now I understand the Nancy meme. But how did this start? Which ship was starting to get bitchy about Henry going along?

I saw the post that started it but can't remember who it was. Just a comment that OUAT is fictional and it's OK for Henry to go along, on the other hand if in the real world Nancy takes her son to help that's a different story. It was a reply to an anon I believe.

Found it...http://ripplestitchskein.tumblr.com/post/137456543090/brooke-to-broch-barpurplewrites

Edited by daxx
  • Love 1

This Nancy stuff is cracking me up. Apparently, they've started shipping her with Liam, because they're both too dumb to figure out what a recycling bin's purpose is?

I ship it! lol

Just to play Devil's Advocate...so, this same principle can easily be applied to those who call Neal a statutory rapist who emotionally abused Emma (i.e., that it is fiction, and chill should thus be located)?

If so, this is great -- and perhaps the answer to all the accusations of rape, abuse, etc. flung wildly at several characters on the show. That it's just fiction, that it's a magical world, and these aren't real people, so we shouldn't be judging them as such.

If not...it just strikes me as a tad hypocritical.

• Love 5

Eolivet -- This is actually more in line with the meme from Comic Con about Emma sacrificing herself for the town. To recap, Jennifer Morrison and A&E were at Comic Con and said Emma didn't sacrifice herself for Regina but rather for the town, which led to all those photos of Emma admitting her true feeling for the clock tower and such.

This is a response to non-Hook fans who are getting upset because Emma is "endangering" her son by taking him to the Underworld to save Hook. These fans weren't upset when Regina took Henry to Camelot or when Regina initially didn't want to follow Emma through Neverland as a team to save her son. But now there are some who are questioning Emma's judgment because, you know, Hook is yucky. It's not so much a "Take a chill, it's just a show," which is the Devil's Advocate, as much as it is, "Take a chill, it's Henry." So yea, maybe neighbor Nancy wouldn't take her son to the Underworld, but her son isn't Henry Mills -- and there are different rules for Henry Mills.

I mean, let's call a spade a spade. It's Hook and Captain Swan fans calling out the hypocrisy of #StopOnceUponaHook and SQ fans. They never complained about Henry being in danger when Regina put him in danger, but now they're questioning why Emma would allow her son to go on a rescue mission for Hook. And Nancy is the Hook fans' response.

• Love 1

I don't know -- this reminds me of being on the playground, seeing a couple people whispering and looking in your direction, and when you ask what they're talking about, they just laugh and say "Nothing!" It's not me -- it's just that invisible person over there who has nothing to do with me.

I mean, with the Jennifer Morrison story described, it's pretty clear to whom that was directed: Jennifer Morrison. But even if I supported what Jennifer Morrison said, I was in good company because I knew Jennifer Morrison and I believed the same thing. I had an ally in Jennifer Morrison that way.

But because Nancy isn't real, to me, that creates paranoia on all sides. Especially for those less vocal fandom participants whose opinion has ever veered into the "taking fiction too seriously." I would think it makes people wonder "Am I Nancy? Are they talking about me? What if they're making fun of me?"

To me, Nancy makes people wonder who their friends are, and I just don't think that's ever healthy. I'm on the periphery here, so I readily admit that I don't have the perspective of many, and I'll bow out now. I only wanted to speak up because this "invisible person we're talking about who is totally not you" brought me back to the schoolyard, at best, and (metaphorically speaking) a conch shell with a pig's head on a stick, at worst.

Nancy isn't supposed to be an actual person/fan, Eolivet. Nancy is Hook (see "Stop Once Upon A Nancy") Or Emma, I guess. She's the "problematic" fictional character who is bringing her kid to the Underworld because she's a terrible mother. People are roleplaying being Nancy supporters/Nancy haters because of how ridiculous the whole "your fave is problematic" / bullying receipts Tumblr mentality is.

Oh, and Nancy doesn't recycle. She's awful.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 2

See, I was off Tumblr for a few days, when the whole Nancy thing started, and then when I got back, I was super confused by this Nancy person who had taken over my Dash. I thought she was some new writer or something! I swear, I leave fandom for five minutes...

• Love 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the Nancy thing is that fans are defending Emma's decision to bring Henry to the underworld by saying that it's just a fictional show so real world rules don't apply. That's fair enough, but by the logic, as Eolivet pointed out, couldn't we also handwave Regina's crimes on the grounds that real world rules don't apply (and a lot of fans do make this argument, from what I've seen on Twitter). I'm not saying I agree or disagree either way. I'm not a Regina fan, but I also find the show much less enjoyable when I try applying real world values to it. I'm just saying that I think we all have a blindspot when it comes to our favourites, and sometimes we hold them to different standards than we hold other characters to. But it's possible that I'm completely missing the point of the original Nancy post and it's all in good fun!

Edited by Katherine
  • Love 2

The initial Nancy thing was in reference to taking Henry to the Underworld in that Henry is the author who lives in a magical world and is supposed to record the stories of the people in that world and he is being taken to the Underworld for plot reasons. They aren't handwaving it, so much as telling people to just get over Henry going along. Emma & Regina are not your neighbor, Nancy, who is putting her son in danger just because. However, it's taken on a life of its own and now seems to be more of a spoof of all fandoms where people freak out about a "problematic" character. I've noticed that it's crossed OUAT fandoms at this point because Nancy isn't real and people are creating crazy parody metas either attacking or defending her. I don't understand why anyone could take offense. Nancy doesn't exist! She's whoever you want her to be. You can love her or hate her and if you couldn't care less, you can just ignore the whole damn thing because again Nancy doesn't exist. It's not like she's on the show or anything. Fans are bored and started poking fun at the ridiculousness of fandom. 

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 3

Fans are bored indeed. I guess for me the issue, again, goes back to the SQ fans who will defend anything Regina does but attack Emma at the first sign of her supporting Hook. Now again, they're questioning Emma's decision to take Henry to the Underworld to see Hook -- not Regina's even though she is also there. They are attacking Emma's decision making at a mother because of Hook. Again, they can dish it when they attack Jennifer Morrison for making statements about her character and thinking they know better than she does about Emma's motives but when CS fans start making jokes -- and with a completely made-up character -- all of the sudden they get upset.

If you want to draw a parallel, it's not a real world vs. TV show argument. It's a "Emma loves the town" vs. Nancy argument. Don't sit there and say, "Why does everyone take this Emma loves the town thing seriously? We're just joking!" and then get pissed off when another group of fans that you don't like does the exact same thing. At least the CS fans aren't degrading the actual actors on the show with this goofy Nancy meme.

And yes, it may be inside baseball fandom, but everyone can read the posts and participate accordingly.

• Love 2

The SQ fan are just bordering on the ridiculous. Now JMO can't even post a picture on her IG because they go crazy.. So JMO posted a pic of her and other lady friends out having drinks. So the fans started identifying the ladies in the picture.. the other ladies with her were Colin's wife Helen,Sean's wife Tanya and according to people MRJ's wife name unknown. Well of course some SQ fans started commenting on why she didn't go out with Lana. Also other wanted to know why she didn't go out with both Lana and Bex... This is just nuts. I don't even know what to say anymore.  

• Love 2

That so ridicolous!

But,JMO for them is Just a puppet to play with. I am sure they will really love if they could make her do what exactly as they pleased. So all their fantasy about her will actually happen in reality. Everyday a new morilla pic and JMO claiming her love for SQ and never mention CS or Colin ever again.

Because how can she be possibly closer to him and his family than Lana? Such a crimes!

• Love 2

Jen seems to be close friends with Helen, since she spent Thanksgiving at her house, among other things. So maybe that's why they hang out? Shocker, I know. It was clearly Jen plus the wives of the male OUAT cast members, maybe Lana simply isn't close with that group?

Also, I'm pretty sure I saw pics of Lana at an Elle magazine party, so she probably wasn't even in town. If they concentrated on their fave instead of on bitching on Jen's Instagram they'd know that.

• Love 1

I would sort of like (not really, not a crazy stalker) to show up at some of these peoples workplaces and ask why they aren't going out for drinks with Nancy. What do they have against Nancy? I know they have a secret relationship with Nancy and their spouse and kids are just a beard. Just go out for drinks with Nancy and post a few selfies. Why are you so hateful and won't hang out after hours with Nancy? It must be because you just want t hurt me.

Talk about something that is crazy when you apply it to real life!

• Love 7

Oh God. I got curious and had a look on the twitter post with the IG link and a couple of sq shippers are trying to argue that Jen goes out with Lana but never posts pictures because CS fans would be mean to her about it.

@blyn99

She probably does but everytime she posts a pic of her & Lana Some C$ fans get butthurt and bully her

There are species of mould with more self awareness than these guys.

@morrillapie

@blyn99 @jenmorrisonlive I know but it sucks, we deserve pics of them together just as much as cs fans do ☹️

The hell? Deserve? This is JMO's personal IG page, not a shipper fantasy service. She could post only pictures of her dog if she wanted to. The entitlement: IT BURNS.

• Love 8

Oh, no, but they're right. CS fans (and Coliffer fans, for shame) deserve pics of Jen with whoever they want to see her with exactly as much as Swen and whatever the Lana/JMo shippers call themselves.

And that amount of deserving, equally, across the board, is ZERO.

Pantheons, I hate celebrity culture sometimes. It's great if you admire a person's skills or are inspired by what they say offscreen or even if you object to the ideas they champion, but damn if it doesn't collect people with the worst boundary issues and leave them to validate one another's entitlement.

• Love 4

What the fuck? I just... This is going to become a mantra for me this hiatus. "You want to leave? Then leave." Wouldn't this fandom be so much better without the $Q fans stirring up crap all the time.

Just to recap, Jen doesn't care about you. Contrary to what you believe or what someone told you or what you made up that someone other people believe, Jen doesn't care about your tumblr blog. She's never read it. She doesn't care about dissecting who is or is not friends with or who she takes pictures with. She doesn't stalk your Twitter. She just doesn't so just.... go. Leave. Don't let the magic portal hit your ass on the way out.

• Love 4

Ugh. When I saw the pic the other day I was so sure this was going to happen. Everyone was gushing over the pic and I was there wating for the SQ tantrum. Jennifer doesn't deserve this.

Edited by RadioGirl27

No, no. Jen must be fair at all times. So she now HAS TO go out to dinner with Lana's husband and post a selfie. She just has to.

That would be hilarious. Because it still wouldn't be their Lana picture, but it'd be kinda equal to the picture they're angry about now. Just Lana's spouse instead of her male coworkers'. Of course they'd just use it to label her a home wrecker or something like that.
  • Love 1

That would be hilarious. Because it still wouldn't be their Lana picture, but it'd be kinda equal to the picture they're angry about now. Just Lana's spouse instead of her male coworkers'. Of course they'd just use it to label her a home wrecker or something like that.

Of course, since according to them the picture she posted with Colin and the Liam actor meant she was having a threesome with them, posting a pic with Lana's husband would mean the same. And boy, I can only imagine what they speculated she was doing with Helen, Tanya and Michael's wife!

Actually I'd think if Jen was hanging out with Lana's husband it was her way of trying to get closer to Lana.

I seriously think those two just don't hang out off screen. Why are they forcing these two to be something they are not? Get a hobby dude.

Wow they are angry that ABC wants to sell the 5b posters. They're really pressed about this. Its bursting their bubble on Hook not being popular.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 4

Of course, since according to them the picture she posted with Colin and the Liam actor meant she was having a threesome with them, posting a pic with Lana's husband would mean the same. And boy, I can only imagine what they speculated she was doing with Helen, Tanya and Michael's wife!

One of the speculations I saw was that Jennifer doesn't hang out with women more famous than her because she has jealousy issues.  That is supposedly why Jennifer hangs out with the actors' wives instead of Lana.  It's because Lana is more successful, and she stole the spotlight from Jennifer.  I kid you not.

Edited by Stuffy

I hope they don't hurt their back reaching so hard. I'm pretty sure both Rose McIver (lead of her own critically beloved show) and Jamie Chung (who was only in Big Hero 6, an Oscar nominated movie - I don't remember if it won, but it's a great movie) count as being just as "successful" as Lana.

I have to say, this whole thing has been rather amusing to watch. It's just insane to think that there are people who believe they have the right to dictate who someone socializes with in order to feed their personal fantasies. It's also insane to think that an actress who plays a character who's in a romantic relationship with another character socializing with the wife of the actor who plays the other character in the relationship is somehow promoting that relationship in a way that insults fans of another relationship that doesn't actually exist on screen, especially when they're also with wives of two other actors on the show. Yes, I'm sure they all got together just because they want to promote CaptainSwan and insult SwanQueen. Because that's something real people would do.

• Love 5

Actually,I am sure it was about MRJ and his family being in Vancouver and people still close to him in the cast célébration together. No, big conpsiraty against SQ!

Exactly. Old buddy MRJ is in town. The boys go out, and the wives go out with Jen. Why should this even concern the fandom?

Like I like to say, "Not everything is about you."