Type keyword(s) to search

Fandom and Viewer Issues: "Fan" Is Short for "Fanatic"

Emma
  • Start Topic

Can someone please explain what happened since the tweets are disappearing?

They're mad at JMo for not mentioning Regina/SQ in the interview, and for talking about Hook and CS in connection to Dark Swan. Apparently it is all very misogynistic, JMo hates SQ fans, etc etc..

• Love 1
JMo hates SQ fans

Well they've never given her reason to even like them. They can take a hike. 

also, Regina's story might revolve around Emma right now, but Emma's story doesn't revolve around Regina. That's the main difference.

• Love 3

I have a rant and I will not closed off my mouth this time since english is not my first langage I do hope it will be coherent.

It is about the real twist relation about some SQ B.A and JMO.

Since that I been follow more closely the once fandom I witnessed a weird hate- love from some toward JMO it is like they only like or praise her if she do something they want.

At first, I saw they asked to play with them, so she did responded to them and did like some of their stuff but they asked more and begin to insult her and spread gossip about her. I mean they talk about colifer but honestly they are worst because they insult her as actres and called her hypocrite lyar about her sexual orientation without any proof.

The reality is;

All that, because they do not like that she like her cannon stotyline and is more friend with her male co-star than her female co-star. Because I do think it is her job to promote her sl and yes I do really believe she like it too. Sorry for the rant but the B.A lost all credibility with me a long time ago. Comes on it is a tv show and you are bullyin a real person because of it.

• Love 2

Also just a word of warning: it looks like AfterEllen is doing a femslash poll starting in a few weeks. Guess who has the top spot in their bracket? Go ahead, guess.

Hope they don't promise an interview with JMO without first clearing it with her. I also hope JMO refuses to do an interview with them (they behaved terribly last time!) and goes on the Ellen Show instead! Ellen can even ask her about having a huge gay fanbase (if you can even call it JMO's fanbase), but at least we know she'll be nice about it, since Ellen and JMo are friends.

Hope they don't promise an interview with JMO without first clearing it with her. I also hope JMO refuses to do an interview with them (they behaved terribly last time!)

They tried to "force" JMo to give them an interview last time by Twitter-shaming her for not agreeing to do it. Utterly crappy and unprofessional. I was so proud of JMo for not giving in to their manipulation.

• Love 5

I just love how condescending she is to him. "That's the demo sweetie. That's steady. But the total viewers went down EVERY WEEK. Learn more about ratings." I just... I mean... I just can't. There's a reason that people stereotype SQ fans as acting overly entitled. I mean, we have our discussions here about viewers vs. demo and dig into the numbers and play ratings excuse bingo, but even a basic fan can get a general grasp on ratings. At least that's what I thought. Apparently I was wrong. :P

This is what irks me about SQ and Regina-stans in particular, but is equally applicable in some degree to all the subsets of Once fandom, this absolute arrogance and assuredness of being "right."  There was a reply on the episode thread last week about how everyone who had previously commented was wrong because aside from this small corner of the interwebs, Regina is the real reason everyone watches the show and people who don't get on board are deluding themselves.  There is absolutely no science to support this fact.  We don't know why "everyone" or "most" or "99.9%" of people watch the show.  Internet polls are inherently biased by self selection; they are not proof.  Ratings tell us how many people watched the show, not why they watched, how they felt about the character or ship featured, or any detail about liking the episode other than they did or did not turn it off.  I don't get the insistence some aspects of the fandom have which is "I'm right and everyone but you thinks I am right also!"  Who cares?  Why in the world would you be so worried about what "everyone" else thinks?  What difference could it possibly make to your personal enjoyment of the show?  If you find a community that shares your opinion and like to talk about it online - awesome!  Why does everyone have to play in your sandbox or they're wrong?

• Love 16

The thing is, I don't think the actors like fans based on their shipper preferences.  The are going to respond positively to fans of the show.  Is there a segment of fans that are negative to JMo, yes, do they happen to ship SQ, yes.  They aren't going to change anyone's mind and it's best to ignore them, because they are really just a few people.  I like that Jmo keeps it positive because that's really all you can do.  It think it was worse when there were Swanfire shippers piling on but since that possibility has been laid to rest, it's easier to see the hate is coming from a small group of people.

• Love 2

I scrolled through a ton of comments on her Twitter replies to the t-shirt tweet and didn't see a single negative comment. Not sure what the big deal is or did the tweets get deleted.

They were apparently untagged tweets on a couple of people's Twitter feeds, so not actually sent TO Lana. Or at least the ones I saw posted on Tumblr. On the one hand, people should be able to post their opinions on their personal Twitter and nobody was tagged. On the other, Twitter is public unless you've set your feed to private, so people are likely to see your posts and take offense, so that's something to always be aware of. I think people forget that a lot.

Somebody is always irate about something in this fandom.

Edited by Souris

It's still extremely petty and pathetic, though, and I don't blame people for having no patience with this. It's money raised for a charity, devoted to a very real issue. Not everything's about fictional characters and it makes me shudder to think that some are so invested in this show that they can't distance themselves from it at least long enough to acknowledge that real life outside of it still exists and matters.

And just because actors aren't tagged directly doesn't mean they won't end up seeing certain things that are said about them on social media. That's another lovely side of this fandom, screencaps of other people's tweets are being send to actors or writers fairly regularly.

• Love 3

I thought they were sent to her. Mybad then. I still think it's silly of them to go on a rant about her charity work. Her queerbaiting and giving her fans false hope is one thing but this? Come on.

Edited by mjgchick

An interesting perspective on SQ's penchant for posting negative comments on all official CS posts.

Interesting read, but that perspective is IMO from the company/business point of view, marketing, telling why ABC and the show might not care about such negative reactions or the marketing of them seem to even cater somewhat to the SQ fans (they don't need to, they are no threat so far, talk of a few but driving a bit of attention and increasing social media quantitative numbers) not something explaining, why a small group of people, fans, non-professionals, seem to obsess about tearing down one fictional pairing (or two) they likely perceive as an obstacle to their fictional dream OTP. Don't think that applying strategical marketing thinking to understand the minds of a set of fans acting not rational would get anyone any far, it implies the presence of rational choice - a by now even in economics debated concept of human behavior.

Edited by myril

Interesting read, but that perspective is IMO from the company/business point of view, marketing, telling why ABC and the show might not care about such negative reactions

The show is a business so that is the only perspective that matters. It doesn't matter why some fans are posting negative comments. The fact that people are posting about the show proves that they are watching it. If networks want detailed data about what viewers think of their shows for purposes of determining the direction of future programming they do conventional market research.

The SQ fans are not in any way special. They post for the same reasons that other overinvested fans post on the internet. They are looking for attention, performance art, unhealthy obsession with actors or characters, etc. It's all the same stuff and nothing new. Obsessive fans of both the hate-spewing and fangirly varieties have been around forever.

• Love 1

Because this fandom is absolutely ridiculous and it seems that some people can distinguish fiction from reality, there is some people sending hate to Colin because the role he is going to play in his new movie is that of a teacher who has an affair with an underage student. So, of course, instead of thinking that he is an actor who likes to challenge himself and is not afraid of playing unpleasant characters, this people is sending him hate and calling him a perv. I hate this fandom so much.

Edited by RadioGirl27
  • Love 6

What. The. Actual. Fuck. Luckily, it seems like the only mentions on Twitter right now for him are celebrating his three years on the show. So I'm just going to pretend that's all that's going on and be thankful that he doesn't know how to wade into the deep end of Twitter -- or at least doesn't seem like he does. Blech.

I was wondering what the pro-Colin posts on tumblr were about. sheesh And isn't the character in the movie suppose to be 19? Not quite underage. If these people would spend half the time on worthy causes, think of what they could accomplish? Every time I see fandumb stuff, it makes me want to wear this shirt. I just watched the founder of that company give a talk, and he said they try to focus their energy into positive things instead of negative.

I was wondering what the pro-Colin posts on tumblr were about. sheesh And isn't the character in the movie suppose to be 19? Not quite underage. If these people would spend half the time on worthy causes, think of what they could accomplish? Every time I see fandumb stuff, it makes me want to wear this shirt. I just watched the founder of that company give a talk, and he said they try to focus their energy into positive things instead of negative.

This! Robert Carlyle's fans spend their time rallying to donate to charities on his behalf. And over in the Arrow fandom they are spending hundreds of dollars for cancer campaigns meanwhile the bad apples are using their free time spreading this negative bullshit around?

• Love 2

Because this fandom is absolutely ridiculous and it seems that some people can distinguish fiction from reality, there is some people sending hate to Colin because the role he is going to play in his new movie is that of a teacher who has an affair with an underage student. So, of course, instead of thinking that he is an actor who likes to challenge himself and is not afraid of playing unpleasant characters, this people is sending him hate and calling him a perv. I hate this fandom so much.

But this type of behavior is nothing new, it has just become more visible. Back in the day fans used to write their hate-filled invective in letters they mailed to actors, which were just dumped in the shredder by publicists. today they post ion the internet.

By bringing this stuff over here and commenting on it you are giving these people the attention they want. If you really want them to shut up, stop supporting their efforts with your attention.

So then do they think Lana is a rapist? Rebecca and Liam also? They also must think Ginny is a real life Princess.

I think the character is 19 in present time, but she has the affair with Colin's character (who's supposed to be in his 40s) when she's 16. She graduates Harvard at 18 and he's a professor she meets there. I found this info reading reviews on Goodreads, so don't quote me on this.

I had to laugh at the reactions to Brigitte's photo of a broken Emma doll. "Ughhhh, Hook murdered her, I expected that from him!"

• Love 2

...there is some people sending hate to Colin because the role he is going to play in his new movie is that of a teacher who has an affair with an underage student.

Are these people tweeting Colin? Because, I'm not seeing anything negative about the movie on his @mentions. 

Colin seems to be a little too young to play a 40-year old professor (as in the book, apparently). But they probably cast a younger actor to reduce the "ick" factor. 

it's awful that people were hating on Lana for supporting a worthy cause. very petty and childish. while i don't condone hate towards actors(or in general), i understand why it happens. there is a lot of tension between evil regals/sqers and hookers/ugly duckings/csers. they will use any excuse to cause trouble. recently there was an awful tumblr post concerning jennifer morrison. a lot of csers(myself included) and actually any human being with a compassionate bone in their body is still exceptionally angry at the most disgusting anti-jennifer morrison post on tumblr a few days ago(last week thursday I think???) not only did that person(an evil regal, sqer and former ugly duckling) post what she thought was true about jmo and lana and justified her hate towards jmo, it was a ploy to get csers/ugly ducklings to reblog it so it would get a lot of notes in case jmo checked her tumblr tag. It was posted in the jennifer morrison and emma swan tag. Obviously there is hate in all corners of the fandom, i am ashamed by a few of my fellow csers(hardcore colifer shippers and there's this one obsessed with hating on sq 24/7) and that's why I stick to my corner of the fandom, that sqers anti jmo post is probably the most despicable act of hate I've seen in fandom ever. and i'm part of buffy, supernatural, harry potter and sherlock and that shit can get CRAZY. also i want to mention the fact that colin gets hate/is getting hate is so stupid. he is a true professional, he does his job and is rarely on social media. when he is, he posts pictures showing him taking his colleagues to games, has silly conversations with sam and sean etc, livetweets or is just super chilled. he doesn't respond to the hate that much and ignores it. fandom because infatuated with fictional characters and by extension, the actors and think they're someone they can subject to their fantasies to or use them as their puppet.

• Love 1

The show is a business so that is the only perspective that matters. It doesn't matter why some fans are posting negative comments. The fact that people are posting about the show proves that they are watching it. If networks want detailed data about what viewers think of their shows for purposes of determining the direction of future programming they do conventional market research.

Sure, but at I am not talking here about the show and business view on things, it's about fans and understanding fandom and issues inside the fandom for me, and maybe find ideas, ways how to handle things differently when people are reacting so strongly and passionate and sometimes overboard. All I am saying is to understand fan reactions and why some fans pester with negative views and attacks in commentaries and social media can't be answered by reflecting on marketing strategy of the show, that the perspective given in the link gives little about the "SQ penchant" IMO because is is a take on the business and not on the fandom. I disagree that business is the only view that matters, maybe to the show people, cast, crew, production companies, some other people and you but not to everyone.

Jaysus. I think I'm going to avoid social media for awhile. I was reading Adam Croasdell's twitter and I swear, some of these fans are embarrassing.

Yeah, there are quite a few embarrassing posts. I wish the fandom would tone it down a little, but Adam C. Seems like a good sport about it, and retweets quite a few of them, so...*shrugs*

At he's not getting attacked by the BA's as far as I can tell.

I am totally laughing about fans on Twitter asking Adam Croasdell not to tweet so much, because he distracts them. I know they joke, but I like having someone in the cast that interacts with fans so readily. I'll be interested to see his role on the show! Bring it!!

^ I love him interacting with the fans too. Bex Mader is the same way. She live-tweets almost every episode, she has #WickedWednesdays and she holds a "Zelena"-ween contest (where people send in photos of their Zelena halloween costumes). The winner gets a 10-min. phone call with her or something like that.

• Love 3

Well, Lily Sparks' review of "Dreamcatcher" sheds some interesting insight as to how SQ shippers remember Season 1, with the focus on the "Emma-Regina-Henry family dynamic" with Emma and Regina merely "clashing over what the best way to raise their son is" but otherwise being totally in-love-with-each-other co-parents. 

• Love 3

Yes, they had that conflict every parent has sooner or later, the "Should we gaslight our son into thinking he's insane? And what do we think of the use of poison as a parenting method?" discussion.

• Love 10

After seeing that sneak preview, I have to wonder what the Swan Queen shippers are doing today.

What do you think they're doing? Bitching at Adam, Jane, Brigitte and ABC on Twitter. And also posting "Swan Queen!" on every post.

• Love 1

And also posting "Swan Queen!" on every post.

I've seen fans do that--and to be fair, I can't say it's been SQ every single time. Other ships are guilty, too.

I just don't get it. I mean, I get complaining or questioning, and advocating for what you want, but how is replying that way, to even completely unrelated things, anything but annoying?

• Love 2

I went to tumblr to see the SQ response and had to stop reading. The spin was so severe it was making me dizzy. I have no problem with the ship itself, but they seem to be making a lot of excuses to "prove" that SQ is really end game, especially when you have to trash the characters you supposedly love to make it work.

On the other hand, they're still knee deep in the afterellen poll so maybe it would be worse if they didn't have a distraction.

• Love 2

A few of the more hardcore SQ fans (so not all of them, disclaimer etc) on Tumblr are reacting to this the same way they always do to every reality check. It's like the five stages of grief, fandumb edition, but without the final, crucial acceptance stage. So it's just denial through to depression and back around again. Apparently, Emma is totally faking everything in Camelot, except when she's alone with Regina. Then she's one hundred percent genuine and in love because reasons.

• Love 1

I've seen fans do that--and to be fair, I can't say it's been SQ every single time. Other ships are guilty, too.

I think others started doing that after SQ started doing it. It's so annoying and pointless and ridiculous. Some were mocking that practice by posting random ship names from other shows the other day -- Spuffy! Steroline! Coliver! Sculder! I have to confess that snark amused me.

• Love 6

I pretty much laugh at how in denial some of the fandom are. I don't know how you can allow yourself to think that way to keep yourself from being angry. Then they get angry and say the writers are queerbaiting. Honestly the only time I've ever felt like the writers queerbaited was when they did that fake out with Sleeping Warrior.

• Love 3

The saddest thing is that apparently SQers were always known for this kind of behavior even back during Season 1. You would think they'd have learned by now...

Edited by Mathius