Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Give Me a Sign

secnarf
  • Start Topic

....well this description is something

How is Max going to help make NYC safer?

Do you think Iggy will even involve Dr. Wilder? Or just forget about her.

Also, I bet he is going to say the standard "well you have been grieving because your child is disabled!" spiel

On 10/22/2022 at 8:55 PM, secnarf said:

Iggy helps a family come to terms with their deaf child's inability to communicate.

There is no such thing as "inability to communicate". There is  inability to process expressive language, inability to write good stories about disabled people, inability to make non-disabled people work a little harder to try and understand different form os communication. EVERYBODY COMMUNICATES

3 hours ago, bros402 said:

Also, I bet he is going to say the standard "well you have been grieving because your child is disabled!" spiel

Of course! And maybe Iggy will bring Wilder because she is such an inspiration!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I sure hope we weren't meant to sympathize with the parents for refusing to teach their deaf child ASL based on the doctors they went to. After five years they were shocked that their child was frustrated and 'acting out.' He has no way to communicate with his immediate family!

I'm amazed that Dad Reynolds' 'diagnosis' of bipolar is wholly based on a comment from Iggy who never evaluated him.

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 4

Lauren, Casey isn’t your husband or your NA sponsor. You’re not entitled to his time or to act outraged that he went on vacation without consulting you first. (Although it was nice to see him again.) There is seriously no one else at the hospital or at NA who can be your “touchstone” but him? God I hate this helpless female addict trope so much. I much prefer strong woman characters.

They really ripped every stereotype out of the book with the lawyer lady, with the ambulance chaser slogan and making her a typical loud New York woman. It felt cheesy. I know ambulance chasers are shady but it was so obvious it was embarrassing.

I don’t care about Iggy or Floyd anymore to comment on their stories. ER already did the whole bipolar parent involuntary commitment thing; I don’t really want to see it again.

The show is halfway through the final season and I honestly have no clue what they’re working towards. Most of the characters are still a mess and next week we’re getting a Very Special Episode on SVU ripped from the headlines style with Karen tearfully asking Max to help. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The idea that the Medical Director of a major public hospital in NYC has nothing better to do with his time than spend his day trying to get a crosswalk installed tells me the writers have officially run out of ideas. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Lauren, Casey isn’t your husband or your NA sponsor. You’re not entitled to his time or to act outraged that he went on vacation without consulting you first. (Although it was nice to see him again.) There is seriously no one else at the hospital or at NA who can be your “touchstone” but him? God I hate this helpless female addict trope so much. I much prefer strong woman characters.

This woman needs an actual therapist. Why does she not have one? Casey does not count, Bloom.

(Really nice to see Casey again, though!)

• Like 3

What New Yorker would believe a few white lines painted on the road would stop anyone?  The only thing that would work is a light, and even that wouldn't be a deterrent for all drivers.

• Love 7

I wonder if the young man’s decision about his grandmother’s treatment would’ve be different if he was told that the option that could result in paralysis was to be performed by an oncologist?  I know they’re trying to save money on guest roles, but at least have Floyd do it. Now the ambulance chasing lawyer can sue both the driver and the hospital.

It must be nice to be the medical director of the country’s largest public hospital and be able to waste an entire day trying to get street lines painted, while oncologists are performing spinal surgery, the entire emergency department has food poisoning, the chair of General Surgery is apparently doing nothing and the Chair of Psychiatry is still trying to figure out adulthood.

Max sure did bounce back quite nicely from literally being left at the altar. Is he incapable of living as an unattached man for even a couple of months? Hasn’t Luna met enough replacement mums for a while? And where was Luna anyway?  He was worried about what would happen to her if he died, yet he never spends any time with her.

Well, it was nice to see Casey back anyway.  And next week, Max and Friends take on the Supreme Court!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Johnny Dollar said:

I wonder if the young man’s decision about his grandmother’s treatment would’ve be different if he was told that the option that could result in paralysis was to be performed by an oncologist?  I know they’re trying to save money on guest roles, but at least have Floyd do it. Now the ambulance chasing lawyer can sue both the driver and the hospital.

I have to assume there was another time jump the show didn't tell us about, because last episode Wilder had her hand surgery and said she'd be out of commission for ten weeks.

it's time for another episode of this show

how many episodes do we even have left

this is episode 6/13?

i thought it was less episodes...

well, in for the long haul

based on the previously, stuff is going to happen with max and awesome deaf doctor, reynolds and his stupid mistake with his dad (I am guessing the dad is going to end up in the ER becuase of the bipolar diagnosis leading to ??????). oh yeah bloom's plot, and IGGY IS STILL A MONSTER YOU NEED TO GET BACK WITH YOUR HUSBAND YOU MONSTER

oh look, art

i bet this date is going to be a bust because Iggy does not seem like an art guy. He seems like someone who would pretend he likes art, then babble something out to sound deep.

yes Iggy, you did blow up your life for no reason - took you long enough to realize it

iggy, you weren't drinking whiskey, you were drinking wine - i doubt there was a reason for you to spit it out violently like that.

YES IGGY YOU RUINED YOUR LIFE ARE YOU GOING TO TRY TO CRAWL BACK FROM MONSTERDOM THIS EPISODE? PLEASE

AWESOME NURSE IS BACK HELL YEAH THIS IS THE BEST EPISODE THIS SEASON SO FAR AND IT IS TWO AND A HALF MINUTES IN

...why are those bagels cut in half?

is running really a fun social activity when one of them is deaf? Since it's not like you can communicate in the midst of a run unless you aren't looking front of you

god i'm only 4 minutes into this episode and I have this much typed up... this is not good

WHY ARE YOU WALKING STUPIDLY IN A CROSSWALK? PEOPLE WILL JUST RUN YOU DOWN IN THE CITY FOR DELAYING THEIR DAY 5 SECONDS

aaaand there we go

hey, the two for one special - awesome deaf doctor almost got hit, then two kids got hit instead

do you think the driver is going to end up at the new amsterdam ER too because of some kind of injury?

uhhh i'm pretty sure it is illegal (or against policy) for ambulance chasers to literally ambulance chase and try to get someone when they are right out of the ambulance

that lawyer is like a discount carol kane or berndette peters

WHY IS THE CARDIOTHORACIC SURGEON CONSULTING ON A BROKEN ARM

oh hey here's Iggy's patient of the week

this actress for mom looks familiar

wait... so their kid is acting like this and they went for essential oils before even trying medication?

WHY WOULDN'T YOU PUT ON THE CHART THAT YOUR KID IS DEAF

AND WHY WOULDN'T YOU TEACH HIM ASL? YOU SHOULD AT LEAST HAVE A PECS BOARD OR SOME FORM OF AAC

also that looks like a hearing aid in his ear - I wonder how much he can hear?

oh, ambulance chaser is going to make Max make crosswalks

wow ambulance chaser is a cheap attorney

HAHAHA JUDGE STOPPING MAX IN HIS TRACKS

oh god is max going to have her sue NYC for every intersection

ha ha max loses 5k

uh oh, everyone in the ER is sick - I am guessing the cream cheese with the bagels? Since I think they would've noticed mold on the bagels

AWESOME DEAF DOCTOR YOU ARE NOT A SPINAL SURGEON

i don't think a minor can be a healthcare proxy - snce isn't he a high schooler?

oh well Iggy's patient's doctors are idiots - a person needs to be able to communicate

Iggy is actually being helpful for once???

god this max plotline is bad

why is every member of staff in the ER just taking up a few beds

you think they would send them home and take some people from other departments

um

i don't think taking the giant pole out of the man's stomach is the first thing you do. I think you'd want to, you know, have an IV set up, maybe some saline and blood, maybe even more than three people in there! Ooh, maybe you'd want a surgeon!

um should you really be suturing him shut when you don't even know what damage that stick did to his innards?

i did not need to see a closeup of Iggy's mouth, show

so does Iggy know ASL? I guess he learned it to communicate with awesome deaf doctor?

iggy, why did you turn away from the kid while talking to him?

um iggy are you BRINGING THE SMALL CHILD TO WATCH DEAF DOCTOR OPERATE ON SOMEONE

and of course Reynolds dad is in a super manic state

no max, they are not going to stop by after their shift, they would only do that for overtime

well max, you can get it done by not suing the city - you can contact the mayor or numerous other people in the city - maybe talk to someone on the board and see if they can grease some wheels!

Iggy, I don't think it will help him make up for ALL of the lost time

uhhh these parents don't seem like they can afford a school like this - are they going to get NYC DOE to do an out of district placement?

Why not send him to any of the deaf schools in the tri-state area? NY, NJ, and CT all have good deaf schools from what I understand!

are we supposed to sympathize with these parents?

blah blah blah awesome nurse and bloom talk about the sister plotline

um, Reynolds, are you allowed to make the determination on whether or not to involuntarily commit your own father? The police did not witness him darting through traffic - and all you heard was him in the street.

that is one loud man in New Amsterdam's Just Randomly Appeared Weight Room

iggy do not try to pick up that bar without lowering the weight on it my god man are you a moron

i hope this means iggy is going to get muscular before getting back with his husband and not what they are telegraphing - that weight guy is going to be paired up with him

oh good, bloom went to a meeting instead of finding her sister

"nobly flailing" is one way to describe Max

um, attorney, i don't think it is legal to paint your own crosswalk

is awesome deaf doctor going to get some paint on max, as couples do in film and TV?

THANKS AWESOME DEAF DOCTOR, I AM GLAD SOMEONE SAID IT

i am shocked that there was no playful painting

So, uh, worst doctor of the week? 

Honestly, there hasn't been a lot of medical stuff this season - so I think I just have to go for Bloom - she inadvertently poisoned her staff, was distracted while pulling that pole out of a patient, and is way too codependent on awesome nurse.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Their portrayal of New York City is based on its reputation from the 1980s.  The City is pretty well run, and no street goes without lines.  But really more outrageous, since bagels were introduced in NYC the 19th century, no bagel shop has ever sold their product in bakery boxes; always paper bags.  Always paper bags.

• Fire 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I am watching this now and they ALMOST got it right with the deaf kid. There is more they could explore but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. 

But

Major invasion of privacy, a lawsuit in waiting for allowing strangers to watch a surgery without permission.

And the blunder: kid, that is Dr. Wilder, she is an oncologist....that's why she is performing spinal surgery 🙄

Way to confuse a kid

Also: did he have to offer the kid a burger king? how about some fruit? How about some real food? I know, bugger is "funny" but Burger King is more ew than a bugger king

Continuing: What right does Floyd have to commit his father? He is not the guardian, the father wasn't, at that moment, being a danger to himself or others. Disabled people, even the ones who can be annoying and obnoxious sometimes still have rights and that was a major overstep. Unless I missed some information in past episodes, or earlier in this one, that is very bad writing, ableist AF

The Max/Wilder flirtation is too juvenile. I must be old and cranky because I hated the childish running together montage

Edited by circumvent
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

Continuing: What right does Floyd have to commit his father? He is not the guardian, the father wasn't, at that moment, being a danger to himself or others. Disabled people, even the ones who can be annoying and obnoxious sometimes still have rights and that was a major overstep. Unless I missed some information in past episodes, or earlier in this one, that is very bad writing, ableist AF

He has no right to commit him, no. He doesn't even technically know if his father has bipolar or is just an asshole. Or he of course could be bipolar AND an asshole. 

TV makes it seem like you can just say, "oh, this person is mentally ill and won't get help on their own, time to commit them." It's actually really hard to do that.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Height-Nonchalance said:

Their portrayal of New York City is based on its reputation from the 1980s.  The City is pretty well run, and no street goes without lines.  But really more outrageous, since bagels were introduced in NYC the 19th century, no bagel shop has ever sold their product in bakery boxes; always paper bags.  Always paper bags.

Yuuup - it not being in a paper bad was just weird

5 hours ago, circumvent said:

I am watching this now and they ALMOST got it right with the deaf kid. There is more they could explore but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. 

But

Major invasion of privacy, a lawsuit in waiting for allowing strangers to watch a surgery without permission.

And the blunder: kid, that is Dr. Wilder, she is an oncologist....that's why she is performing spinal surgery 🙄

Way to confuse a kid

Also: did he have to offer the kid a burger king? how about some fruit? How about some real food? I know, bugger is "funny" but Burger King is more ew than a bugger king

The Max/Wilder flirtation is too juvenile. I must be old and cranky because I hated the childish running together montage

Also, all of this.

I think the burger was done because I guess it booger is a funny thing and it was the first funny thing they thought of

It was super ableist - since this was the first time Reynolds had witnessed anything going on with his father - and his father doesn't even have a diagnosis! Just a suspected one.

As I am sure you can tell from my Worst Doctor post... the running montage annoyed me too

• Love 1
On 10/26/2022 at 12:29 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

This woman needs an actual therapist. Why does she not have one? Casey does not count, Bloom.

Considering the fact that essentially all the main characters are in need of therapy, maybe they can get a group discount...

• LOL 1

Well, now we know where Leyla is. She got a better job at Baptist.

When Iggy said he felt something, I thought it was going to be a hernia. You don't start lifting with anything that heavy. Also, he thought he could replace Martin with museums and hobby classes? Did Martin somehow prevent him from looking at art or birds or tasting wine? Or weight training, for that matter. 

Lauren was rude as hell to Casey. But she was right when she yelled at him to get out of the treatment room 10 seconds after he'd been puking.