Type keyword(s) to search

Be My Guest: Ina Interviews The Stars

• Start Topic

I thought this show was more interesting than last season's because Ina actually interviewed Faith about her early efforts to make it in country music, how she got her start singing professionally, meeting her husband, having kids, etc. Faith made a comment about how they both have had long, happy marriages. Nice!

• Like 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

Yeah.  I thought it was a good interview.  Although that Cola cake seems very sweet.  A whole box of powdered sugar?  

On top of 3 cups of granulated sugar in the cake + the mini marshmallows 😁

• Mind Blown 1

It was an excellent hour.  I have never known much beyond the very basics about Faith Hill, and today’s interview was really enjoyable.  It was great to be with Ina again.  And a little cooking took place.  I’m not inclined to make that Cola cake, but it was clearly a meaningful family cake to Gracie and Faith and they loved sharing it with Ina.  Faith is definitely fun.  

• Love 3

I've met Faith Hill (back when I worked in the music industry), and she is kind of dumb but quite sweet.  I'll have to give this show another try; I could not get through a single episode last season, as no matter who the guest was, the episode consisted of an unbearable degree of mutual fawning.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I think every southern family has some kind of cola cake recipe. My grandmother would make almost the same cake but use RC and yes, it is ungodly sweet but good. She only made it at Christmas. So if you’re ever in the mood to spike your blood sugar, that’s the cake for it. 

I binged the whole series over the weekend and I actually enjoyed it. I think it’s interesting to see Ina be more personal and reveal more about her own life and family. At the risk of making assumptions, I’ve always had this feeling that Ina had some issues with her mother that has effected her into adulthood. In one episode she blatantly says her mother was a terrible cook and was a dietician so everything was bland and they weren’t allowed to have carbs, she also had a couple throwaway comments about a crazy childhood and everyone always being in their rooms and I started thinking about all the times she would make comments about something she made being better than someone’s mother’s (which if I’m being honest, sounded a bit insulting) and like she needed assurance that her food was better. It doesn’t seem like something she would do but I wouldn’t mind if she wrote a book about her life. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I think every southern family has some kind of cola cake recipe. My grandmother would make almost the same cake but use RC and yes, it is ungodly sweet but good. She only made it at Christmas. So if you’re ever in the mood to spike your blood sugar, that’s the cake for it. 

I binged the whole series over the weekend and I actually enjoyed it. I think it’s interesting to see Ina be more personal and reveal more about her own life and family. At the risk of making assumptions, I’ve always had this feeling that Ina had some issues with her mother that has effected her into adulthood. In one episode she blatantly says her mother was a terrible cook and was a dietician so everything was bland and they weren’t allowed to have carbs, she also had a couple throwaway comments about a crazy childhood and everyone always being in their rooms and I started thinking about all the times she would make comments about something she made being better than someone’s mother’s (which if I’m being honest, sounded a bit insulting) and like she needed assurance that her food was better. It doesn’t seem like something she would do but I wouldn’t mind if she wrote a book about her life. 

Ina is writing a book about her life to be released next year.  I'm pretty surprised about that and it will be interesting to see how introspective and forthcoming it will be.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

It doesn't sound like Ina had a fun mom which is too bad. She has said her mother didn't want her in the kitchen while she was preparing meals. Whenever I hear stuff like this, I count my blessings that my mom loved having us  kids in the kitchen. She taught my sister & me how to cook when we were young teens so that when she went back to work, we'd have dinner/supper almost on the table when our parents got home (we just needed help with cooking meat/fish). Ina turned out so well despite being banned from the kitchen!

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 10/10/2022 at 11:29 AM, Mondrianyone said:

Just the opposite here. Nathan Lane seems to be the only one with the potential to be funny.

You know Ina & Nathan together are going to be hilarious...probably a crazier time than when she had Michael Symon on her show 😄

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

This is the second thing Emily Blunt has made that looks delicious.  I never made her potatoes (too much work) but this seems doable. 

I made her potatoes but made them the way that Ina suggested. Boiled the cubes, drained the water, put the cubes back in the pot with the lid on and shook them to roughen up the sides. Then roasted. They were great! Look up roasted English potatoes & you'll find the Barefoot Contessa version.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Watched the Emily Blunt episode. My new favorite show! I went back and watched a few others.

Ina’s garden is a show in itself. Beautiful!

The only thing I didn’t like was during the cooking session with Emily. Ina, with all her talents seemed to willingly play second fiddle to Emily, like she didn’t know how to do something when we all know Ina, in fact, knows how to do it all. I know she was just trying to downplay her skills to make Emily more comfortable, but still … Ina, show that confidence, you earned it.

• Like 2

Especially when Emily asked Ina to hand her the cup of milk for the Turkey Bolognese. Ina kept going on & on about how crazy it was to pour milk into a sauce, when you just know she's had to have made Bolognese herself at some time. But I like this format of Be My Guest, with Ina interviewing her guests.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I loved the interview too but I'm so squeamish about raw things that the salmon would be a no go for me.  I'm sure it's fine...I just have issues. 

Me too. Even though Marcus said you must use *only the best* raw salmon, I still have concerns re: worms. That is something I don't care to invite into my system 🥴.

anzeepark914, I suspect part of what you like about the Nova is that it's sliced so thinly. The texture of a large dice will always be different. You might consider a slice of nori, topped with sushi rice, topped with Nova and whatever seasonings Marcus used. Or that combo in a bowl with whatever else you like. (How bad could that be? How easy is that? Really good Nova. TM Ina)

• Useful 1

Just watched the Nathan Lane show. What a hoot! Nathan is so funny. I cracked up at Nathan's in car comment that this whole cooking thing has really worked out for her (Ina). 🤣 The mussels looked delicious. And Ina's garden is so beautiful!

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Is this series still on? Is it on FN? Or has it been redirected to some other money grubbing TV series provider like Discovery+, Peacock etc.? I would love to watch it. 

Both shows - Be My Guest with Ina Garten and Barefoot Contessa - air on FN and also available on Discovery+. 

BMG is currently on FN Sundays at noon (EST).  (Unless it has already concluded its season, I'm not sure.)

BC's most-recent season aired at the end of last year; I don't know when the next one is due.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I take issue with Misty's method of marinating the salmon. She might as well have not bothered - she put the salmon in the dish skin side down, then poured the marinade over it, so a little marinade was exposed to the flesh. I always marinate salmon, you put the salmon in the marinade flesh side down.

13 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Guess who is Ina's guest next Sunday, 03/12/23? Stanley Tucci ♥️🤍💚🤗. Too bad it's in the morning or I could be sipping some Pinot Grigio. 

Pretend you're in Italy, it will be cocktail hour there. Or, since it's Sunday, have a glass with brunch.

• Love 1

Am I wrong or were previous episodes an hour long?

I like citrus on salmon so I might try Misty's dish, although I was surprised by how much sugar she put into the marinade.  

I'm looking forward to Stanley Tucci since I think he has been name-checked each time Emily Blunt appeared on the show 

39 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Guess who is Ina's guest next Sunday, 03/12/23? Stanley Tucci ♥️🤍💚🤗. Too bad it's in the morning or I could be sipping some Pinot Grigio.

Ooh, glad for the heads up; I hardly ever watch this show as I just cannot get into it, but that one I will probably check out (on the app, as I'm not awake when this airs).  Sundays are Bloody Mary mornings, so if nothing else that will help.

I gotta be careful about imbibing before 4:00 PM.  Years ago, when I lived in Raleigh, I was a member of the Public Relations Society and once a month they'd have a luncheon. They'd serve some type of cordial (not something I usually enjoyed) just before lunch. I made the mistake of imbibing one time.  Barely made it through the business mtg and had to go straight home to bed, bypassing my office!  I guess one glass of Pinot Grigio with Stanley would be ok 😄.

5 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Missed it, darn it!  Any clue when it repeats on FN?  I don’t have Discovery+.  I looked on the FN website but couldn’t find when it would re-air.  TIA.

I think next Saturday. That's when I've caught reruns before...on the following Saturday.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I can't believe Ina had never had a martini!

Wow, that blows my mind, too.  I could have sworn we'd seen her drink them on the regular show, but thinking about it more I guess those were all cosmos.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I can't believe Ina had never had a martini! I think I had my first when I was about 23.

I know Ina has hosted more parties than I could ever dream of, but I'm not surprised she'd never had a martini. I just wonder if she *really* liked it. This episode seemed shorter than the others (from last season). Or am I just imagining it? Weren't they supposed to go into town & have something to eat??

1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

I know Ina has hosted more parties than I could ever dream of, but I'm not surprised she'd never had a martini. I just wonder if she *really* liked it. This episode seemed shorter than the others (from last season). Or am I just imagining it? Weren't they supposed to go into town & have something to eat??

That's what is missing!! The trips into town to eat/shop. Someone mentioned they thought the show used to be an hour and I think they were right. The missing trips helped cut it down to 1/2 hour instead sadly.

• Sad 1
33 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

This episode seemed shorter than the others (from last season). Or am I just imagining it? Weren't they supposed to go into town & have something to eat??

Yeah. I mentioned it above that I thought it was longer.   I think there were more interview segments or longer interview segments and a trip into town.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I think next Saturday. That's when I've caught reruns before...on the following Saturday.

I should've checked before posting. There's no rerun next Saturday of the Tucci visit episode. Guess they need to have room for all their Guy Fieri shows.

29 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I should've checked before posting. There's no rerun next Saturday of the Tucci visit episode. Guess they need to have room for all their Guy Fieri shows.

Thanks for checking.  I’ll dig around and find it somehow!

I saw the Tucci episode but missed Sunday's Laura Linney one. It's not available On Demand. I can't bring the show up using the Search feature, in order to be able to record the entire series. I had to go to the Guide feature and scroll all the way until next Sunday to be able to record the 3/26 episode. There's got to be an easier way.

• Useful 1

When you set an episode to record (on my guide), there's the option to record the series. Not on yours?

I liked the Laura Linney episode. I'm a fan and she was charming and excited to be with Ina. There was chatting, cooking (ha, can't recall what) and a ride into Sag Harbor to an antique store.

• Like 1