Type keyword(s) to search

Mayfair Media: Your Media Thread

• Start Topic

Mayfair Witches       January 5, 2023     AMC/AMC+   8 episodes

The first two episodes debuting on January 5th (just announced, so I will have to see if that is just for AMC+). New episodes will arrive on subsequent Thursdays.

Anne Rice’s The Lives Of The Mayfair Witches trilogy consists of The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos.

Mayfair Witches “focuses on an intuitive young neurosurgeon, Rowan (Alexandra Daddario), who discovers that she is the unlikely heir to a family of witches. As she grapples with her newfound powers, she must contend with a sinister presence that has haunted her family for generations.”

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Superclam said:

I wonder if this will tie into Interview With the Vampire at all. 

AMC bought the rights to a ton of Anne Rice books including The Vampire Chronicles’ Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned, The Tale of the Body Thief, Memnoch The Devil, The Vampire Armand, Pandora, Vittorio the Vampire, Blood and Gold, Prince Lestat, Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis and Blood Communion: A Tale of Prince Lestat; Lives of the Mayfair Witches’ The Witching Hour, Lasher and Taltos, and the Vampire Chronicles/Mayfair Witches crossover novels Merrick, Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle.

As long as the stories are popular/good ratings, they want to do them all.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I could barely get through Lasher, and I DNF'd Taltos. But the first book is my favorite of all Rice's books, and it's such a sweeping saga that they could easily get multiple seasons out of it before they needed to go near the other books for more content.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

The Witching Hour was my favorite book as a teen. But I hated Lasher and especially Taltos (and I stopped reading Rice before later books with the Mayfairs so I can't say how I feel about them) so I'm okay with the series diverging from the books...That being said, this seems like it's going to be pretty far from the books and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  It looks like there is no Michael character (at least no one is listed as playing him), which seems like an odd choice.  In many ways Michael was as much or even more so the main character than Rowan was.  And a fairly normal guy driven crazy by his psychic abilities until he turns towards alcoholism seems like something TV writers would love to write.  So the decision not to include him, seems odd. It also seems odd there is no Julien Mayfair, since he was the only male Mayfair with powers and Rowan is his descendent...along with other important characters (I'll keep it vague to avoid possible spoilers). This seems like it's just keeping the basic premise of a family of witches haunted by an entity rather than really being the story from the books.  Which once again considering how awful and off putting Lasher and Taltos were, might actually be a good thing.  But I still think I'm going to miss the characters I really loved, like Michael from The Witching Hour.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

@Proclone, for the show, Michael and Aaron have been combined to form the character Ciprien.

That seems like an odd choice, to me.  It seemed sort of integral to his story that Michael was an average guy with no connection to the supernatural before the accident that gave him psychometry.  Making him a member of the Talamasca seems to negate that, even him they have him become a member after the near drowning.  I'm probably biased because I remember really liking Michael's character in the books (and for that matter, Aaron's).  And I'm not sure I want to see it completely changed.  But I remarkably happy not to see Mona Mayfair's name listed either.  I don't think I've ever disliked a book character more. 

Like I said, I'm kind of torn about this.  On the one hand I love The Witching Hour, on the other the sequels are hot garbage and the nature of story makes it hard to keep the plot of The Witching Hour in place while getting rid of said garbage (Rice somehow wrote and excellent book that did an excellent job setting the plots of two horrible books in motion).  So on the one hand, I would love to see and pretty faithful adaptation of the first book, but on the other I realize if they're going to fix the rest of the story they are going to have to make some serious changes.

I've like what AMC has done with Interview with the Vampire so far, so I'm willing to give this a chance, even if I'm a little hesitant.  

Edited by Proclone
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
On 10/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, Proclone said:

But I remarkably happy not to see Mona Mayfair's name listed either.  I don't think I've ever disliked a book character more. 

Heh, I had exactly the same reaction upon scanning the cast list.

Although if they did choose to put her in at some point, I think they'd have to drastically rework the character and storyline anyway.

• Love 4
On 10/7/2022 at 5:10 PM, Black Knight said:

I could barely get through Lasher, and I DNF'd Taltos. But the first book is my favorite of all Rice's books, and it's such a sweeping saga that they could easily get multiple seasons out of it before they needed to go near the other books for more content.

I'm curious how we're going to get the history of the family. There's like over 300 years of history IIRC. If we get flashbacks I really hope they do justice to them because the history of the family was my favorite part of The Witching Hour. I hated Lasher and wonder what all they're going to do there. Problematic doesn't even begin to cover it.

Agreed that Mona was terrible. 

Is it for sure that there's no Julian? For me Julian, Marguerite, and Mary Beth were the most interesting of the Mayfairs. Stella's story was interesting but her characterization was shallow so I feel like they could improve on that. Charlotte was weird.

Love that Harry Hamlin is in this. He won me over in Mad Men so I'm always happy to see him pop up in something I watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

If we get flashbacks I really hope they do justice to them because the history of the family was my favorite part of The Witching Hour.

I so agree with you.  Ideally, I would love to see a 12 episode season with an episode dedicated to each generation, with Rowan's story playing out in each episode.  My favorites were Marguerite, Julian, Mary Beth, Stella and Antha.  Carlotta Mayfair wasn't part of the direct lineage but I would like to see her in the show.  I'm not happy they're consolidating Michael and Aaron into one character.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

If we get flashbacks I really hope they do justice to them because the history of the family was my favorite part of The Witching Hour.

Watching the trailer in the first post, I definitely see snippets that look like flashbacks.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Carlotta Mayfair wasn't part of the direct lineage but I would like to see her in the show. 

I was just reading some more about the series and Carlotta was one of the characters cast. Beth Grant is playing her.

Annabeth Gish is playing Deirdre, which feels a bit of a waste of Gish's talents considering the great number of women in the story.

Looking at the IMDB cast list, it seems like probably the first season is only going to tell Suzanne's and Deirdre's stories in addition to the present-day stuff with Rowan. Hopefully the rest of the Mayfair witches follow in S2. There are only 8 episodes for the season altogether.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 3

I'm excited to hear about this. As a fan of all things witches, I devoured these books in my teens. It has been a while but I remember most of the details. I was shocked that there is no Michael (I assumed the guy in gloves was him) or Mona (although I think her introduction would need to be changed for a number of reasons lol). I wasn't particularly pro or anti Mona but she definitely came off as one of Anne's favorite characters based on her trajectory. I'll definitely be tuning in. Lasher was such a creeper. Will be interesting to see him "live".

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/16/2022 at 2:17 PM, Dream Boy said:

I was shocked that there is no Michael (I assumed the guy in gloves was him) or Mona (although I think her introduction would need to be changed for a number of reasons lol). I wasn't particularly pro or anti Mona but she definitely came off as one of Anne's favorite characters based on her trajectory.

I expect the guy in gloves is Ciprien, the Michael+Aaron combined character. But as for Mona, if I remember correctly she didn't come until the second book. Rice might have name-checked her in the first book as one of the many Mayfairs floating around, but I don't remember her having an (execrable) storyline until the second book.

They'll have to cast her at some point because she's critical for combining the Witches and Vampires universes into one. But Louis and Lestat are pretty busy for now. It seems like Mona wouldn't be needed for a couple of seasons.

• Like 1

‘Anne Rice’s Mayfair Witches’ Premiere Gets Five-Network Simulcast From AMC Networks (EXCLUSIVE)

“All of Them Witches,” a documentary exploring the history of witches, will be released on Dec. 21 on AMC+ and on AMC on Jan. 2 at 10 pm. “All of Them Witches” features interviews from Pam Grossman, author of “Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic, and Power,” self-titled witches Bri Luna and Amanda Yates Garcia, and content creator and actor Curly Velasquez. Directed by Mona Pancha, the hour-long documentary film will explore the history of witch hunts, paganism and voodoo, and “challenges the myths that have become the fabric of popular culture”.

Anne Rice’s Mayfair Witches will have a multi-network simulcast premiere on BBC America, IFC, SundanceTV, WE TV, AMC and AMC+ on Sunday, January 8 at 9 pm. 

Anne Rice’s Mayfair Witches will be available for streaming on Shudder, Sundance Now, Acorn, and ALLBLK on Jan. 12.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

MV5BNGI0NGJhMzYtOGI1NC00MTkyLWEyMWYtYjdl
Anne Rice’s The Lives Of The Mayfair Witches Novel trilogy consists of The Witching Hour, Lasher, and Taltos.  Anne Rice’s Mayfair Witches focuses on an intuitive young neurosurgeon, Rowan, who discovers after the death of her adoptive mother that she is the unlikely heir to a family of witches. As she grapples with her newfound powers, she must contend with a sinister presence that has haunted her family for generations.
Anne-Rices-The-Mayfair-Witches-to-premie
Alexandra Daddario as Dr. Rowan Fielding.
MV5BZDU5NDJmYTYtMDIwNS00OWYyLTg3MTctNTkx
Harry Hamlin will play Cortland Mayfair, Rowan's uncle and current reigning patriarch of the New Orleans Mayfair clan, who has a voracious appetite for more money, more power, and more life.
mayfair-witches-season-1d-1068x712.jpg
Jack Huston as Lasher is a mysterious and sensual character — a powerful, shape-shifting entity who has been bound to the Mayfair witches for hundreds of years. He has his sights set on Rowan, and he won't let anyone get in his way until he has her. 
mayfair-witches-season-1c-1068x711.jpg
Tongayi Chirisa as Ciprien "Sip" Grieve, an amalgamation of two different characters from the book, Aaron Lightner, who studies the Mayfair family, and Michael Curry, who is a major catalyst for Rowan’s revelations in the first novel. Cyprian is affiliated with the ancient order of the Talamasca, a benevolent organization of scholars who study paranormal activity. His mission is to observe supernatural events, and only intervene if somebody is in trouble. 
Screen-Shot-2022-10-23-at-2.08.28-AM-102

Annabeth Gish as Deirdre Mayfair.
MV5BYzQ2ZjgzMDgtNDE2YS00MTEwLWE0NGQtZTMz

Beth Grant as Carlotta Mayfair, Rowan's evil aunt. Though she believes she's acting in everyone's best interest, Carlotta is a meddler who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. 

Erica Gimpel as Ellie Mayfair.

Jen Richards as Jojo, Cortland Mayfair's daughter. Since she grew up in her father's house, Jojo has her eyes wide open to Carlotta's interfering ways and she's dead-set on helping Rowan navigate the complex Mayfair family circles. 

Hannah Alline as Suzanne, the first Mayfair witch, she lived in Scotland centuries ago. Though she's long dead, her legacy lives on and an understanding what happened to her, can help us understand Rowan's struggles trying to find her place in the Mayfair family. 

• Like 1
On 10/9/2022 at 1:22 PM, Black Knight said:

@Proclone, for the show, Michael and Aaron have been combined to form the character Ciprien.

This is very bad news IMO. I’ve always wanted more depth and storytelling about The Talamasca rather than less. Even though I wasn’t a fan of the Harlequin romance conception of Michael and Rowan in The Witching Hour, I can’t imagine the story without him. Axeing Aaron is just criminal. 

Like many of you, I was enthralled with the history of the Mayfair witches in the Witching Hour. That history and the tantalizing little glimpses we get of the Talamasca are the best things Rice ever did. 

Watching the embedded videos I’m braced for this to be pretty bad. The voice of the actress playing Rowan already grates on me. I don’t buy her as a doctor, much less a surgeon and genius. Rice’s work could use some tightening but I’m afraid that they’ve chosen all the wrong things to tighten. 

On 10/12/2022 at 4:45 PM, Avaleigh said:

I'm curious how we're going to get the history of the family. There's like over 300 years of history IIRC. If we get flashbacks I really hope they do justice to them because the history of the family was my favorite part of The Witching Hour. I hated Lasher and wonder what all they're going to do there. Problematic doesn't even begin to cover it.

Agreed that Mona was terrible. 

Is it for sure that there's no Julian? For me Julian, Marguerite, and Mary Beth were the most interesting of the Mayfairs. Stella's story was interesting but her characterization was shallow so I feel like they could improve on that. Charlotte was weird.

Love that Harry Hamlin is in this. He won me over in Mad Men so I'm always happy to see him pop up in something I watch.

Another fan of the history here. I like Harry Hamlin too. I think he’d be a great Cortland. They seem to be messing with the timeline as well because if Hamlin is playing Cortland, I think he had died by the time Rowan came home to New Orleans. Cortland’s sons were in charge of Mayfair and Mayfair. 

I’d love a good nighttime melodrama and horror mashup that was smart and fun, but I’m really concerned that we’re going to get the worst of all possible worlds. Bummer, because I would really love to watch that. 

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
On 10/11/2022 at 3:52 PM, Black Knight said:

Heh, I had exactly the same reaction upon scanning the cast list.

Although if they did choose to put her in at some point, I think they'd have to drastically rework the character and storyline anyway.

But Mona ends up at Blackwood Farm with the ghosts of the plantation,  Quentin the vampire. Lestat hangs out with him. That's where Lestat meets Rowen. 

I adore the twisted family history of the first book and the whole sequence of Rowan coming home to New Orleans for the first time to meet the family and confront Carlotta. It's the best kind of gothic horror Rice does so well. I also realize previews aren't always accurate reflections of what the final product will be: I was half convinced from the previews that Interview with the Vampire was going to be an epic level tire fire and it turned to be one of the best adaptations/reimaginings I've seen in years. Still, this just looks like a burning train careening off the trestle into the gorge.

• Wink 2
  • Applause 1

When I first heard they were making this into a show I was so excited because I loved the first book so much (the other 2 not so much) but my interest waned after being at the NYCC panel and seeing how they combined Michael and Aaron into a brand new character. And it seems they made Rowan so generic and bland and while I didn't like her in the books (I preferred Michael and the other 13 witches more), she was actually pretty damn interesting so that's a disappointment.

Then I just saw that the emerald pendent is straight up key shaped and it's like what happened to subtlety?

• Like 4
18 hours ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

When I first heard they were making this into a show I was so excited because I loved the first book so much (the other 2 not so much) but my interest waned after being at the NYCC panel and seeing how they combined Michael and Aaron into a brand new character. And it seems they made Rowan so generic and bland and while I didn't like her in the books (I preferred Michael and the other 13 witches more), she was actually pretty damn interesting so that's a disappointment.

Then I just saw that the emerald pendent is straight up key shaped and it's like what happened to subtlety?

Well, nobody ever accused Rice of subtlety. Not really the nature of the high gothic she does. But agreed, this is pretty bad. Rowan wasn’t my favorite character but she was written to be slightly otherworldly and preternatural with her genius and talent and icy looks. This iteration of Rowan that we’re getting glimpses of in the promos seems all wrong and unbelievable.

I’m watching the first episode on AMC+ right now and trying to keep an open mind because I love the Mayfair history so much. But already. Sigh. Brain surgeons don’t lisp in a baby Marilyn sings Happy Birthday voice that “He’s got another bleed.” Even for Marilyn that voice was an act. I’ll report back when I’ve watched the episode. 

Edited by AuntieMame
  • Like 2

‘Interview With A Vampire’ & ‘Mayfair Witches’ Crossover Planned At AMC

'Mayfair Witches' Showrunner Teases Crossover With 'Interview With The Vampire'

This is not happening anytime soon, but could occur. Showrunner and executive producer Esta Spalding said there is one character who appears in both series, and that she is “waiting for somebody to figure out” who that character is. 

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Thanks 1
On 1/10/2023 at 11:46 AM, AnimeMania said:

‘Interview With A Vampire’ & ‘Mayfair Witches’ Crossover Planned At AMC

'Mayfair Witches' Showrunner Teases Crossover With 'Interview With The Vampire'

This is not happening anytime soon, but could occur. Showrunner and executive producer Esta Spalding said there is one character who appears in both series, and that she is “waiting for somebody to figure out” who that character is. 

I guess the most obvious answer (excluding the MF/VC crossovers that Anne wrote decades ago) would be Ciprien Graves when the Talamasca shows up in QOTD.

Edited by Glade

How Anne Rice's home became the best character in AMC's "Mayfair Witches"

Mildly interesting read on location filming. The Mayfair house is such a huge book character in its own right, although this does confirm that they're not shooting at Anne Rice's actual house but a near identical one very nearby. Friends who still live in New Orleans tell me the Rice house hasn't been purple or "violet" as it's repeatedly described in the books for years, which just seems odd to me given that it's a fairly famous landmark because of her and because it's described so vividly in this series.

• Like 2

Two thinkpieces from Salon. Even as bad as this show seems to be, I love that putting her work on TV as a franchise means we're finally acknowledging how much modern horror/gothic and what we know as paranormal fiction really owes to Rice.

With "Mayfair Witches," Anne Rice put a fresh, southern spin on the spellcasters we thought we knew

Introducing the Mayfairs in "The Witching Hour," Rice made it clear that she had no desire to follow the "double double toil and trouble" tropes of witches portrayed in literature and film as we've come to expect, but rather open readers' minds to an altogether new variety of witch that is just as human in their daily lives as they are otherworldly in their gifts, much like she did with her vampires.

Anne Rice's journal archives point to issues she would have had with AMC's "Mayfair Witches"

Mildly spoilerly only in acknowledging that changes have been made from book to show. While I'm always a little leery of assuming too much about what someone who can't answer for herself would have wanted or hated about something, anyone who remembers Rice's very public meltdown and backtracking over Tom Cruise's casting in the 1994 Interview with the Vampire knows she could always be more than a little extra in having very strong opinions about how people interacted with her work. Given her previous experiences and her stated opinions, I've honestly wondered for awhile if she would have been so willing to sell her entire library for adaptation had she not been nearing the end of her life and knew she was pretty much done as a writer.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4
8 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

Two thinkpieces from Salon. Even as bad as this show seems to be, I love that putting her work on TV as a franchise means we're finally acknowledging how much modern horror/gothic and what we know as paranormal fiction really owes to Rice.

With "Mayfair Witches," Anne Rice put a fresh, southern spin on the spellcasters we thought we knew

Anne Rice's journal archives point to issues she would have had with AMC's "Mayfair Witches"

Mildly spoilerly only in acknowledging that changes have been made from book to show. While I'm always a little leery of assuming too much about what someone who can't answer for herself would have wanted or hated about something, anyone who remembers Rice's very public meltdown and backtracking over Tom Cruise's casting in the 1994 Interview with the Vampire knows she could always be more than a little extra in having very strong opinions about how people interacted with her work. Given her previous experiences and her stated opinions, I've honestly wondered for awhile if she would have been so willing to sell her entire library for adaptation had she not been nearing the end of her life and knew she was pretty much done as a writer.

I could agree with this. Anne knew she was ill and this was her legacy, for better or worse. I can also imagine that she wanted to leave a great amount of royalties and the economic benefit for her kids (I know she has a son who is involved in this these adaptations). I did not read the Mayfair Witches trilogy, so I am just coming as a fan that loves gothic horror, anything about matriarchal lines/a family saga, and Anne Rice's other work. 

• Like 1
On 10/9/2022 at 4:16 PM, Proclone said:

That seems like an odd choice, to me.  It seemed sort of integral to his story that Michael was an average guy with no connection to the supernatural before the accident that gave him psychometry.  Making him a member of the Talamasca seems to negate that, even him they have him become a member after the near drowning.  I'm probably biased because I remember really liking Michael's character in the books (and for that matter, Aaron's).  And I'm not sure I want to see it completely changed.  But I remarkably happy not to see Mona Mayfair's name listed either.  I don't think I've ever disliked a book character more. 

Tessa seems to be the precocious preteen fill-in for Mona.  Since there's no Michael, maybe they won't recreate the more problematic parts of her character in the second book.  One can hope.

• Like 1

Hopefully the network is replacing the showrunner/writers, or otherwise forcing a course-correction...But I guess if they're doing 1 book per season there will only be 3 seasons before it dies anyway.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I don't think I ever could have imagined being almost disappointed to see a series based on a book I really loved once upon a time renewed, but here we are. AMC reportedly spent a ton of money to acquire Anne Rice's entire catalogue and with its two primary franchises, Walking Dead and Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, either done or winding down they probably figure they have to get their money's worth, come hell or high water. I can't imagine being renewed despite the dreck they're putting out there is going to teach the showrunners anything except to keep putting out more dreck as they move further into the series where the plotting starts to go more and more off the rails and the storytelling becomes more and more problematic.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

‘Anne Rice’s Mayfair Witches’ Season 2 Begins Production, Thora Birch to Guest Star

Thora Birch stars as Gifford, a self-deprecating tarot card reader and wannabe-bohemian who lately spends a lot of time at her lake house. 

Ted Levine will play Julien, Cortland’s (Harry Hamlin) father; a master manipulator and diabolical presence that haunts the family.

Alyssa Jirrels stars as Moira Mayfair, Rowan Fielding’s (Daddario) cousin and a mind reader, who blames the family and Lasher for the death of her sister Tessa.

• Thanks 1