Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: A Brief History of Crime

• Start Topic

While investigating a scamming operation with Beau, Jenny discovers a connection to the crime that sends her reeling. A camper at Sunny Day Excursions has gone missing, and Beau’s similarly stubborn daughter, Emily, is eager to solve the case. Yet, with Sunny determined to cover up loose ends, her digging might lead to more than she bargained for in the end. Cassie and Denise run into a strange man on the side of the road who may just lead them down a new path.

Air Date: October 5, 2022

Isn’t anyone going to change the episode number?

Well, I said I was pretty much watching this for Beau and the glamping storyline only, and that hasn’t changed.  Honestly, I was kinda bored.  I don’t care about Jenny and her mama drama, and that whole tired trope about coworkers pretending to be married for a case just made me roll my eyes.  At least Jensen looked fantastic throughout.  There was some movement on the Sunny and Walter front, but I’m not sure how much I’m into Emily playing junior detective, but I guess her dad’s a cop, so whatever.  I’m really hoping Jensen only signed for this season, because he needs to get back in genre tv pronto.  I know he wants to broaden his acting horizons, but the writing is just so meh.

Edited by BornToDie
Added content
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I like the actors, and it was fun watching them, but I really have a gripe with the writing for this season. 

In the  first two seasons, the villains were front and center, and their crimes were not the mystery. The suspense was in "how will these villains be brought down." When I watched, I couldn't wait to see the next episode, since it seemed that every episode ended with a cliffhanger.

So far this season, the only known crime has been a missing hiker. Not much suspense/jeopardy since his actual death seems to have been an accident. Even Sunny/Cormac/Walter seem to be red herrings. (Sunny and Walter truly didn't seem to know about Paige's fate.)  The mystery this season seems to be "what is the mystery!"   I want to get to the main story.

I'm sure they'll tie up everything in the end, but it does get tedious to sit through scenes that seem inconsequential. Very disappointed with this episode.

• Like 2

They do seem to be treating the main plot with a lighter touch than in the previous seasons, but I don't really mind it. I'm mildly intrigued by what I don't know and am yet to find out, while in the meantime there's always a procedural B-plot that gets resolved within the same ep to hold me over. Still feels like I watched a substantial episode that accomplished something rather than just purely spun its wheels. 

On a shallower note, they really know how to style Jensen on this show. Last week it was the loose purple shirt, this week it's the Texas getup complete with hat! And seeing Jenny so smiley and cheerful as her undercover character was pretty novel, lol. Emily wanting to get her dad's knife back (which she keeps under her pillow) was also pretty sweet.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, BabySpinach said:

On a shallower note, they really know how to style Jensen on this show. Last week it was the loose purple shirt, this week it's the Texas getup complete with hat! And seeing Jenny so smiley and cheerful as her undercover character was pretty novel, lol. Emily wanting to get her dad's knife back (which she keeps under her pillow) was also pretty sweet.

Yes, to all of this! 

Again though, even you're saying you're only "mildly intrigued" by the main mystery. The cases of the week are ok, but after coming after so much CSI and Law and Order they seem very simplistic. 

I wonder if they had to change stuff around because their deal with the writer changed/expired?

I personally liked this episode and I feel like the suspense was really picking up. I don't mind that they've switched up the mystery a little bit by making it a little bit more of a mystery and none of the scenes felt pointless. There are other ways to be terrible than murder. 

I was actually really touched by the stuff about Jenny and her mom, she did a good job showing how much pain Jenny has from her relationship with her mother, from how her mother has used her and continues to use her.  And this time the case of the week ties into something more, with Tanya and Donno.

2 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

That they do. He just looked amazing the whole episode.

The way Beau is SO determined to keep personal and private life separate with Jenny does seem to suggest that maybe in the past he's had a problem with it and he's trying to NOT repeat the same mistakes.  There was also something about when he was telling Ivan that his brother wouldn't want him to spend the rest of his life in prison that makes me wonder if there is something there.

It was also interesting how Emily is so suspicious of Avery.  I'm still not sure it isn't a red herring, trying to make him seem suspicious, but at least it shows she has a more fraught relationship with him than it's seemed previously.

• Love 10

Boy, do I wish Jensen Ackles wasn't on this show.  The writing is awful and most of the actor's aren't very good.  I like Beau and Cassie and that's it.  And even Cassie was just ridiculous about the broken down truck and the highly suspicious driver covered in dirt who obviously didn't want her looking into his vehicle.  I know she isn't a police officer, but why wouldn't she report it to her buddy Jenny?  Even if she didn't know he was hiding a dead body, wasn't there just a huge drug ring in the area?  I'm absolutely bored with Emily the girl detective.  And having her be Beau's daughter means squat since we haven't even seen them in the same scene!  Beau being worried about her doesn't resonate because they've never met, as far as I'm concerned.    I hope they actually get to film in Montana because the scenery is gorgeous.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Frost said:

Boy, do I wish Jensen Ackles wasn't on this show.  The writing is awful and most of the actor's aren't very good.  I like Beau and Cassie and that's it.  And even Cassie was just ridiculous about the broken down truck and the highly suspicious driver covered in dirt who obviously didn't want her looking into his vehicle.  I know she isn't a police officer, but why wouldn't she report it to her buddy Jenny?  Even if she didn't know he was hiding a dead body, wasn't there just a huge drug ring in the area?  I'm absolutely bored with Emily the girl detective.  And having her be Beau's daughter means squat since we haven't even seen them in the same scene!  Beau being worried about her doesn't resonate because they've never met, as far as I'm concerned.    I hope they actually get to film in Montana because the scenery is gorgeous.

I have to agree. What the hell is Jensen (and Reba as well) doing on this show? I can't imagine it's doing much for his career. I had hoped his trajectory from Supernatural was going to be his own show as the star.

• Love 1

I'm really hoping for some twist to his character later on. No matter how "fun" the scenes are with Beau, this show wasn't supposed to be so light-hearted. His acting potential seems to be wasted. 

• Like 1

I've been staying out of most of the discussions because (full disclosure) I really am only watching for Jensen.  I tried bingeing the first season to see the framework of the show, and frankly, I wasn't too thrilled, and gave up halfway through.  Very melodramatic, and (to me) very slow moving. I watched the final ep of season 2 to know where things were heading, and honestly I didn't think I missed anything by skipping season 2.

I do realize that, for those who were invested in the first two seasons and its style, that the new season is a pretty big change.  But having said that, I'm enjoying this season more, mostly because it *is* so much faster paced and with so many varying storylines and different characters.  

There are still way too many annoying characters/character moments (Really?  High heels on a police officer/anyone out on trails? Cringeworthy policing moments, and some over-the-top acting.)  

I actually think Jensen is bringing some well-needed toning down of OTT characters and situations.  And while I specifically enjoy seeing a lighter, not weighed-down-by-the-weight-of-the-world Jensen (especially after the last ... oh, 10 seasons or so of Supernatural) I think he's giving enough nuance to show that there's something serious--maybe dark--underneath that does come out unexpectedly.  You can underestimate Beau because he seems so casual but he's shown that he sees everything that's going on and is ready to switch to Sheriff/in charge mode when needed.  

And to those wondering what he's getting out of appearing in the show--consider it as "graduating" from the CW into the majors.  No matter how good he was on the CW shows, he wasn't getting any serious recognition.  Hopefully working on more mainstream networks (especially in The Boys) will get him noticed, and if the characters he plays are so varied, TPTB will recognize his versatility.  JMO, of course. 

• Like 2
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

You can underestimate Beau because he seems so casual but he's shown that he sees everything that's going on and is ready to switch to Sheriff/in charge mode when needed.  

Yes, I like his character a lot, love watching Jensen act.  But the show itself has changed up its format (according to showrunner). Watching first 2 seasons, there was a certain expectation for S3 that did not follow through.

21 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I'm enjoying this season more, mostly because it *is* so much faster paced and with so many varying storylines and different characters.  

IMO, the so many storylines and characters doesn't make it faster paced. With so many things, currently unrelated, going on, nothing is focused on and all move forward very slowly. Again, JMO.

As a side, how long is the "glamping adventure" supposed to last? A month, entire summer? Did they mention any of this? So far it seems like it's only been a few days since Ep 1.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, MAK said:

Yes, I like his character a lot, love watching Jensen act.  But the show itself has changed up its format (according to showrunner). Watching first 2 seasons, there was a certain expectation for S3 that did not follow through.

I always wonder about shows that change formats in mid-show.  Those who've been enjoying the old format tend to get annoyed (because, after all, if they didn't like the way the show was going, they wouldn't still be watching) and those who were turned off originally probably won't come back.  That's why bringing in someone with a built-in audience (like Jensen and Reba) is used so often to lure new viewers.  Unfortunately, the ones who like the old way tend to be out of luck.  And if the new viewers don't like it enough to stick around, the shows tend to get cancelled.  

I certainly heard enough complaints about season 1 of Dark Angel vs. season 2.  They seemed like two completely different shows, and each one had its fans.  

12 minutes ago, MAK said:

As a side, how long is the "glamping adventure" supposed to last? A month, entire summer? Did they mention any of this? So far it seems like it's only been a few days since Ep 1.

It seems to be only a few days.  The backpacker was still alive till last episode, and his family was still looking for him.  

• Like 1

This season certainly is different from the last two, and its a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, its writing is certainly better. Not amazing, but much more consistent and less annoying. On the other hand, its also lost some of its flavor, it feels blander than it used to. If nothing else, the show was interesting in its weirdness, so I guess it depends on what you want. A more competent but less unique show, or a more sloppy but interesting show. I am actually liking this season so far, they are using a lighter touch on the main mystery whereas they have usually told us right away what the bad guys are up to, I am alright with them changing it up a bit and letting them focus on some b stories. A real issue the show has had is that they spend way too much time on one major story, so much that they start needing too much padding to keep the story going until the end, so I am hoping that these side stories can give us more room to breathe in our main story.

Beau was looking extra fantastic in this episode, he's just so damn charming. I keep waiting for something else to happen with him, I don't think he's a bad guy or anything but I do think he is running from something in his past. Maybe an inappropriate relationship with a co-worker.  

I liked the plot with Jenny and her mom, poor Jenny. She really did seem to think that her mom might have changed, but of course she was just conning her. And now she's off to meet Donno and Tonya, this can only end well. Because Jenny needs more reasons to hate those two.  

I am still not sure whether or not Avery is a red herring or not. He is clearly up to something, but is it something really bad or something minor? 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

It was clear as day that Gigi/Jenny's mom was going to backstab them all at the end, but I didn't predict that she would be working with Tanya (and Donno!) this entire time.  I wonder if that was all a random coincidence or if Tanya knew about their relationship and really wanted to find a way to stick it to Jenny.  Either way, I suspect this won't be the last we see of Gigi.

I actually don't mind that we have more cases of the week and a slow burn with the main mystery, because I kind of feel like some of the issues with the past two seasons was that they would rush through reveals so quickly and feel the need to top each twist and turn: therefore leading to things being so outlandish they would be almost comical.  Things here are still far-fetched at times and the writing will probably never be "great", but it just doesn't feel as preposterous as it use to.  I guess I could see why this can almost make the current episodes kind of boring compared the batshit insanity that was unleashed in these past few seasons, but I find it pleasant enough.  Granted, I do think a lot of it is helped by the introduction of Beau, because Jensen Ackles really can make any scenario entertaining to watch.  Not sure why he picked this show to co-star in, but I'm cool with it!

Still unsure if Luke actually killed Paige, but it certainly looks like he is already moving on!  But it looks like it was Sunny herself that took Paige's things and is now burying them?  Is it simply because she worries it would trace back to them and Walt?  I don't see her being connected to whatever was going down with Luke and Paige.

Avery definitely seems to be hiding something, but I do think he is sincere about wanting to protect Emily, so I'm curious to see what is really going on with him.  I'm also wondering why Cormac didn't give Emily her knife back.  Or did he just not know it was hers?

Kind of fun seeing Cassie and Denise paired up, even if it led to Denise having to be the one character who says dumb stuff so that Cassie would spell things out to her (a.k.a. the audience.)  Like, I'm pretty sure Denise would already know that snow on top of a mountain takes more than a day to melt, heh.

• Love 5

I think the only thing Jensen is getting from this show is millions more eyes on him - and that includes casting people, producers, directors etc. It's a one-season gig that he is having fun with. 

Okay, I hate to be that person, but it bothers me how unprofessional Jenny dresses with the five inch boots and low-cut tshirts. 

• Like 8
  • Love 4
On 10/6/2022 at 7:23 AM, BabySpinach said:

They do seem to be treating the main plot with a lighter touch than in the previous seasons, but I don't really mind it. I'm mildly intrigued by what I don't know and am yet to find out, while in the meantime there's always a procedural B-plot that gets resolved within the same ep to hold me over. Still feels like I watched a substantial episode that accomplished something rather than just purely spun its wheels. 

S3 continues to entertain me in these and so many other ways, too.

Beau and Jenny as a married couple FTW!

Denise out of the office and into the woods, too.

And look at that, Jenny's mom running straight to Tonya with the money she stole from the Helena PD? To be continued...

Meanwhile, Sunny and her strange woodlands family just keep getting stranger and stranger, not to mention half of the glampers too.

So much love for Emily's attachment to her dad and the things he gave her, both innately and materially. 🥰

• Love 5
On 10/6/2022 at 2:03 PM, MAK said:

The show has changed formats? I have been watching from the beginning and I haven't noticed anything that feels like a change in format.

There is a change in that several of the characters were dropped and they brought in a bunch of new people. But they had new people at the start of season 2 as well, and even the second half of season 1.

• Like 1

They need to ramp up the suspense.  A bit of a predictable snooze. 💤💤
But it’s a nice change to see Jensen looking like he just walked off the cover of GQ magazine, Montana Sheriff edition, and not covered in blood and wearing four layers of flannel.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Like 3
On 10/6/2022 at 12:34 PM, Casseiopeia said:

I have to agree. What the hell is Jensen (and Reba as well) doing on this show? I can't imagine it's doing much for his career. I had hoped his trajectory from Supernatural was going to be his own show as the star.

I imagine it's a good paycheck, filming close to home with a short season and, since he's not the "star" it allows for more time to spend with his family in TX.

I wasn't as entertained with this week as the previous two episodes.  The side story didn't do much for me but, I haven't been watching the series so I don't care about Jenny that much.

The big story is getting a little too big. Too many suspects/red herrings being thrown at us.  I'm hoping we start to get to the reveal phase soon.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

The show has changed formats? I have been watching from the beginning and I haven't noticed anything that feels like a change in format.

There is a change in that several of the characters were dropped and they brought in a bunch of new people. But they had new people at the start of season 2 as well, and even the second half of season 1.

The show lends itself to a revolving door of characters and situations. Keeps it interesting for me.

• Useful 1
On 10/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, KaveDweller said:

It used to be basically one storyline the whole season. Now Hoyt and Beau are doing cases of the week in the episodes. that is definitely new. 

2 hours ago, Bobcatkitten said:

It used to be basically one storyline the whole season. Now Hoyt and Beau are doing cases of the week in the episodes. that is definitely new. 

Yes, but the majority of this episode (and others) have been spent on the ongoing storyline. There was some time spent with Jennie chasing her mom, but that didn't wrap up at the end of the episode so now it is ongoing too. 

• Love 1