Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E29: Masih Alinejad; Van Jones; Caitlin Flanagan

• Start Topic

Yeah, Flanagan's BJ's in school crap (which I still don't know what point she was trying to make) hijacked about half the episode. I did love her take on that white guilt party nonsense, though: "Next week, 'Eat, Love, Pray' at Dana's house!" I'm still LOLing!

I didn't appreciate the cheap shot Bill took at Admiral Stockdale. He's old enough to have seen that VP debate, and even if he didn't, he should know better. That moment has been unfairly twisted into a 'senior moment' for Stockdale, which it wasn't. The guy is a true American hero, do some homework, Bill. It's awful that that incident is the first thing people think of when they hear his name these days. Shame on Bill for perpetuating it. 

• Applause 2

I enjoyed a quite lively show, and the new rules have been solid for several episodes too. I liked the opening guest - it's not Islamaphobia because my fear of being killed is entirely rational. 

I do have to disagree about the Iran deal. The original deal worked and was working. 

Just watching it now & WTF is she on about with the BJ book/comic whatever thing & how many times does she need to say kid getting a blow job? Does she get some sort of kick out of it or a prize for how many times she can say the same fucking thing, just weird.

The way she brings up homosexual BJs later is just bizarre, she is fucking ridiculous about it and that stick up her ass must really hurt.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Yeah, Flanagan's BJ's in school crap (which I still don't know what point she was trying to make) hijacked about half the episode. 

Asshole Flanagan claimed we are all not focusing on Biden's many achievements and focusing too much on the BJ book.  A story she brought up and she alone had heard about.  She is the worst.

• Love 2

Still don't know what point Flanagan was making about the BJ book but it wasn't lost on me that she threw out a line about how the book is a graphic novel because apparently the kids don't know how to read. Or some such nonsense. 

What book was she talking about!? I wish she had provided any other information, other than repeating the word "blow job" incessantly, because a friend of mine is a high school librarian who was just told to pull a title off her shelf because it features a realistic gay sex scene. She is fighting it by highlighting widely accepted books that feature heterosexual sex scenes. Flowers in the Attic, anyone? 

• Love 2

I feel like people maybe missed Caitlin Flanagan point, which, granted, she got bogged down in waaaaay too much, to a humorous level, & didn't explain well.  It appeared, to me at least, that she was pointing out how "the BJ book" becomes *such* a focal point of debate, & liberals rally around "we MUST keep the BJ book!!!" because it has trans-representation in it, that it really undermines The Left's *actual political stances* (which was Van Jones's stance).

She didn't express it well, & I think she'd be the first to admit that based on her reactions, but her point was valid.  Pick your battles.  Stuff like this loses votes, alienates people.  Whereas focusing on the bigger picture - like Bill said, the stuff Biden has accomplished that everyone wants, & is finally happening - that's where the focus should be - that should be the focus.

So, she bungled expressing her point (to put it mildly), but I think her point was important.

• Applause 2
  • LOL 1

He’s going to die on the hill of defending Udoka?

Reportedly she was married and when the affair ended, he made some unwelcome comments.

The Celtics haven’t fired him yet but they said they’d be fine if some other team hired him, even though he’s under contract for several more years and had taken the team to the NBA Finals in his first year.

That tells you he crossed some lines.

A lot of people sleep with coworkers or people whom they meet through work.  HR can’t prevent all such relationships — if they become relationships — but that doesn’t mean there aren’t some rules.

The Celtics as well as many other private organizations have rules.  Maybe Udoka wasn’t entirely aware of all of them but he’s acknowledged that he broke some rules.  Team said he will lose a significant portion of his salary during his one-year sus pension, which could mean millions of lost income.

Udoka isn’t suing the team so his behavior must have been egregious.

Bill had the disclaimer that not all facts are known.  But there are more things known or reported than he let’s on.

Comparing Udoka and some unidentified woman to tHe Obamas is ridiculous.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

She didn't express it well, & I think she'd be the first to admit that based on her reactions, but her point was valid.  Pick your battles.  Stuff like this loses votes, alienates people.  Whereas focusing on the bigger picture - like Bill said, the stuff Biden has accomplished that everyone wants, & is finally happening - that's where the focus should be - that should be the focus.

So, she bungled expressing her point (to put it mildly), but I think her point was important.

Eh, seems like the same thing the establishment always says whether it's true or not. The right's made huge gains by never passing up a battle. Every one they win or even pick moves them toward the big picture. If the Dems say they support trans people and then don't do anything for them and lose their votes they blame the voters. The advice seems to be that if conservatives target a book, try to give in to them and agree they have a reasonable point.

Since I hadn't heard of any blow job books and have heard of wins Biden's been getting, it seems like she's doing more to focus on BJs than anyone else!

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Applause 1
18 hours ago, ICantDoThatDave said:

I feel like people maybe missed Caitlin Flanagan point, which, granted, she got bogged down in waaaaay too much, to a humorous level, & didn't explain well.  It appeared, to me at least, that she was pointing out how "the BJ book" becomes *such* a focal point of debate, & liberals rally around "we MUST keep the BJ book!!!" because it has trans-representation in it, that it really undermines The Left's *actual political stances* (which was Van Jones's stance).

Thank you for explaining, because I had absolutely no idea. 

I'm not a political strategist and will never be one. But as an individual, I think standing up for trans rights (and the rights of many groups whose concerns are underrepresented and hand-waved as not the hill to die on) is so important. While I agree that sometimes the arguments miss the forest for the trees, I think movements have to figure out a way to do both. 

• Love 1
On 10/1/2022 at 9:07 PM, ICantDoThatDave said:

She didn't express it well, & I think she'd be the first to admit that based on her reactions, but her point was valid. 

What exactly was her point? Be nice to trans people? Book banning is bad? In addition to being insufferably inarticulate, I found her just annoying and off-putting. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
20 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Caitlyn must have been having an off night, she’s very smart and usually very articulate.

She acted like she had been smoking pot with Bill before the show

• Like 1