Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: The Rogue Prince

• Start Topic

On 8/28/2022 at 11:54 PM, mac123x said:

Margaret Beaufort gave birth to the future Henry VII at the ripe old age of 13.  That garbage happened back then.

Richard II's second wife was 12 when they were married.  To be fair, it was a political alliance and he apparently never slept with her, but there's definitely precedence.

I have to say, I was mostly bored by this episode.  I really don't care about all the political wrangling.  I'm here for the dragons.  I'll give it another episode but they better give me more dragons soon or I'm out.

The main titles were okay but after GOT's titles, I wasn't that impressed.

• Love 1
On 8/28/2022 at 11:01 PM, Jodithgrace said:

Did the king forget that he had his hand in a bowl of maggots? I know they were eating dead flesh, so it shouldn’t exactly hurt, but he seemed a bit too blasé about it, if you ask me. 

I was worried he might be distracted and forget it wasn't a bowl of peanuts.

• LOL 3

I knew I would watch this series because of course I would, but this was the moment when HoD hooked me.

Daemon: "What are you doing here, Princess?"

Rhaenyra: "Preventing bloodshed."

7385aab53a9a93184c1b91f25438901df72e3f37

a06640f55f217c2ca040ce5936b0c36302d810ad

And dare I say that Ceraxes looked pretty damn happy to see Syrax.

22d74edf5baffa81d38395d0443b132fbdf9e19d

• Love 3
On 8/29/2022 at 12:06 AM, AntFTW said:

I'm guessing he keeps getting poked and prodded by the Iron Throne, and the GOT/HOTD universe doesn't really seem to have high standards when it comes to sterilization, and therefore, these grow into nasty infections.

I think it is symbolic of the job eating him alive bit by bit, destroying his humanity and self respect. He doesn’t like the dragons, either. Power corrupts. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Or the Iron Throne rejecting the wrong choice.  Would this be happening to Queen Rhaenys?

Daemon was lounging. So maybe. Viserys does not like the throne.

Matt Smith is good at draping himself over things.

he is such a good villain because, with all that charisma, you can’t help but like him. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Affogato said:

I think it is symbolic of the job eating him alive bit by bit, destroying his humanity and self respect. He doesn’t like the dragons, either. Power corrupts. 

5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Or the Iron Throne rejecting the wrong choice.  Would this be happening to Queen Rhaenys?

I agree with both.

I think it's a symbol of Vicerys being the wrong person to sit on the Throne.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2022 at 8:01 PM, Lady S. said:

Also good that Rhaenyra had valid reasoning for choosing Ser Criston beyond all his obvious prettiness.

I liked her having a stepstool too. Just a little moment to remind us of her age/size. Also how kings and royalty use tricks to seem more powerful.

This ep went a long way to make her more interesting as a character.  

I also appreciate that her aunt didn't pull the you poor motherless child card but treated her closer to being an adult. I fear I will never be able to spell all their names! Rhaenys? That's the aunt? I thought she would be more of a factor already. 

I don't mind Coryls's wig/hair too much. As a visual reminder of where he fits in this world it helps. And I like him reminding us that not all families from Valarya rode dragons, only Targaryens.  That said, I was hoping that the whole only Targaryens can ride dragons was false. And maybe it still is. I just hate that one family gets special powers due to DNA. Same with the Stark's bonding with wolves but they did train them from puppies. I like that Bran wasn't the only warg in their world. 

I also like the Targaryens speak Valaryan together but if they think no one else has learned it...no way Otto isn't nearly fluent.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:57 AM, Affogato said:

Matt Smith is good at draping himself over things.

he is such a good villain because, with all that charisma, you can’t help but like him

I really disliked him in ep 1. He is a bully and sadistic.  But this ep helped a lot. Less Matt Smith is more. 

His costume design and hair do look good. He looks strong but overbred.  Smith has a great pointy face and they're using it well. He's using it well.

• Love 1
On 8/28/2022 at 10:43 PM, Sofie Fatale said:

Everybody talking about Corlys’ hair… what else would you expect given that he has a 4c Afro texture.  Flowing straight hair would look terrible.  He has dreadlocks and they’re fabulous. Get some perspective..Geez

Thank you! I like it. And the actor. 

• Love 1
On 8/30/2022 at 4:59 PM, go4luca said:

Lady Laena looks like Shirley Temple stuck her finger in a light socket

Her hair is gorgeous. I think Laena was adorable but clearly a child and not especially clever, yet. I look forward to her older version. 

That scene reminded me of Tyrion and Sansa having one pleasant walk before it all went to hell. I also found it a bit funny maybe because Paddy was playing it both appalled but respectful of this little girl with him. You just knew he would never ever pick her. Now had been facing little Lady Mormont of the North....heh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I feel really sorry for Alicent. Yes, she knows what she is doing, but this isn't a world that is kind to women, even high born ones. Impressing her father and securing a non abusive husband is probably the only way to guaranteed safety, and I don't blame her if that comes at the expense of warning her friend of what their respective fathers are up to. Even giving her friend the heads up could potentially foil Hightower's plans if Rhaenyra confronted her father and discredited Otto, which surely would blow back on Alicent. She really doesn't have a lot of appealing options.

Rhaenyra confronting Daemon was smart, but not exceptionally brave in my opinion because I believe she knew there was no way he would hurt her. I don't really consider it badass to dare someone to kill you when you know they absolutely won't. Daemon would take the humiliating retreat over the risk of making Rhaenyra collateral damage.

• Love 1
On 8/29/2022 at 8:10 PM, Stardancer Supreme said:

There were no other Velaryon women he could have offered up instead?  But I understood that cementing the families together would have guaranteed that the Sea Snake would continue to do the King's bidding.

That's what I can't figure out! I can't tell if Viserys is (at this point) romantically interested in Alicent or if she is just his only considered alternative to a a 12 year old. If he is resigned to getting married and his only requirement is that she isn't 12 (or younger), it seems he could have found a potential wife pretty easily that wouldn't piss off his daughter.

I would be curious to know how the Queen who never was feels about the rejection of her daughter. I loved her schooling of Rhaenyra, who was getting a little cocky this episode. The older princess (can't remember her name) is correct- swearing loyalty to Rhaenyra was merely just kicking the can down the road, they had no intention of actually obeying her.

1 hour ago, Tatum said:

I would be curious to know how the Queen who never was feels about the rejection of her daughter. I loved her schooling of Rhaenyra, who was getting a little cocky this episode. The older princess (can't remember her name) is correct- swearing loyalty to Rhaenyra was merely just kicking the can down the road, they had no intention of actually obeying her.

Rhaenys wasn't thrilled about serving her baby girl up to her cousin. Remember she told Rhaenyra that she didn't want to marry Laena off but was resigned to cement the Velaryon's relationship to the King. She may have been okay with Viserys not wanting her daughter, but smart enough not to say that in front of Corlys. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

Remember she told Rhaenyra that she didn't want to marry Laena off

Right that's what I was getting at- but regardless, she will have to marry Laena off at some point, so I was wondering if she was disappointed/insulted to miss out on a King, or relieved to be able to put it off for a few years.

The more I think about it, the more I think Viserys sucks. It would not have been too much to ask to privately tell Corlys beforehand that he did not want to marry such a young girl. And he basically ensured the end of Alisant and Rhaenyra's friendship. Also, he appears to be a completely incompetent king who is unable or unwilling to protect the commoners.

I didn't like Daemon telling Corlys that he (Daemon) could insult the king, but Corlys couldn't. First, Daemon said far nastier things, and second, unlike Daemon, Corlys has been directly harmed by Viserys' poor leadership. Daemon is just salty in general; Corlys had a very legitimate gripe. I appreciate that Daemon has an honest affection for his brother and niece, but otherwise I find him pretty loathsome.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Tatum said:

I didn't like Daemon telling Corlys that he (Daemon) could insult the king, but Corlys couldn't. First, Daemon said far nastier things, and second, unlike Daemon, Corlys has been directly harmed by Viserys' poor leadership. Daemon is just salty in general; Corlys had a very legitimate gripe. I appreciate that Daemon has an honest affection for his brother and niece, but otherwise I find him pretty loathsome.

It's the family loyalty thing, "I can say whatever I like, be as insulting or critical as I like about my brother/sister/mother/father/cousin/niece/nephew/etc etc [strikethrough as applicable], because they're my family... but woe betide any outsider who does!".

Just because someone may shit talk a member of their family it doesn't automatically mean they'll tolerate those who aren't immediate family doing likewise. This is the case more often than not in my experience, particularly with dysfunctional families. I thought it was an entirely appropriate stance for him to take under the circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

It's the family loyalty thing, "I can say whatever I like, be as insulting or critical as I like about my brother/sister/mother/father/cousin/niece/nephew/etc etc [strikethrough as applicable], because they're my family... but woe betide any outsider who does!".

Just because someone may shit talk a member of their family it doesn't automatically mean they'll tolerate those who aren't immediate family doing likewise. This is the case more often than not in my experience, particularly with dysfunctional families. I thought it was an entirely appropriate stance for him to take under the circumstances.

I know, but in this particular case, Corlys really wasn't talking shit. He was venting about a serious problem he has with the king's leadership, and explaining the reason he was willing to pair up with Daemon in the first place. Had he said the House of Dragons equivalent of "your brother sucks at life" I'd agree with Daemon defending his brother while acknowledging his own hypocrisy, but in this case, how is Corlys supposed to explain himself without criticizing the king?

I mean, the king is kind of sucky at his job. It's kind of galling he threw his hat in the ring in the first place when he seems to minimal interest in handling any affairs that don't directly impact him.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2022 at 6:31 AM, aghst said:

Of course among real kings and queens, things like chemistry and mutual attraction were irrelevant.

Not always. Henry VIII is one prominent example, dumping Anne of Cleves immediately after their wedding because he wasn’t attracted to her, and otherwise always marrying women he was really interested in. Victoria famously was hit by the lightning bolt when she met Albert. And it was usual for monarchs to be presented with portraits of prospective partners if they lived far away.

In regards to Alicent, she did encourage both Viserys and Rhaenyra to engage with each other, which heightened the chances of Viserys telling his daughter he was considering her BFF as wife #2. I do wonder if that was her way of trying to deep-six the possible marriage. Or to at least give Rhaenyra the heads-up that Viserys had implicitly forbidden Alicent from giving.

It seems like Rhaenys would have been a better ruler than Viserys.

• Love 1