Type keyword(s) to search

Hotel Portofino - General Discussion

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Her ladyship is drinking the "Italian lemonade" morning, noon and night.  There was a big pitcher on her breakfast table.

Maybe next season will have her in the 1920s version of Rehab  (AA wasn't invented yet) - or we can see her throwing back a few with Fitzgerald and Hemingway.  Oh, they were in Paris, not Portofino but why bother with nitpicky details.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

or we can see her throwing back a few with Fitzgerald and Hemingway. 

Oh those guys didn't like the women to party too much, we know what happened when Zelda got out of hand.

• LOL 1

This episode was better than the previous ones.   Bella's husband is a bastard.  I didn't think he was all that in love with his wife yet he acts very angry about that letter (was anybody actually able to read it?  I have no clue what it says).  

It was a high five for Constance in being quick thinking enough to hide the illegal pamphlets in the laundry where no man would think of looking for them.   And there is obviously Trouble between the Josephine Baker lady and her (non) "husband".  We haven't seen the last of him for sure. 

Speaking of the Josephine Baker-like character - the actress speaks with one of the weirdest "American" accents that I've ever heard.  I kept thinking that a) there is no way this actress is really American, and b) this show needs to get a good dialect coach, because it shouldn't be that obvious.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

was anybody actually able to read it?

I went back and rewatched and stopped it to get this much.  It was addressed to a Henry, and began with "I so wish you were by my side.  All I want to do is to give the guests a memorable experience of all this lovely country has to offer and for them to feel comfortable and rested during their stay here, but I seem to be (thwarted) from all sides..... (something else about a man with a great deal of power).  If you were here with me.....strong enough to get through this, but I feel I am on my own fighting battle after battle.  So write to me soon with some cheerful news.  As ever, your Bella  x"

I could see how the weasel would be able to use this a blackmail against her, but if things are as written, she's got some 'splainin' to do with her pompous husband.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

She had an affair I guess? So what.  Her no good husband has been sleeping around probably for years. But I guess he thinks different standards apply when it's the wife stepping out. Keep on believing that, asshole. Also, he showed his true colors when he beat her. That could have killed her.

I like the Josephine Baker wannabe and good on her for not taking crap  from her con man American lover.

That was the best episode.  It actually compelled me to pay more attention than usual.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, magdalene said:

She had an affair I guess? So what.  Her no good husband has been sleeping around probably for years. But I guess he thinks different standards apply when it's the wife stepping out. Keep on believing that, asshole. Also, he showed his true colors when he beat her. That could have killed her.

I like the Josephine Baker wannabe and good on her for not taking crap  from her con man American lover.

That was the best episode.  It actually compelled me to pay more attention than usual.

Came here after viewing Ep 6, but no one had commented yet. I agree, the last was much more watchable than the others. It’s as if the writers phoned in the first 5 episodes, and finally settled down to produce a cohesive plot for the last. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, magdalene said:

Seriously, Cecil has just crossed the line from asshole to monster.  I hope he's dispatched in the next episode.  Please kill him off!

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

No such luck with Cecil, although he may in a prison of his own making.  So, if I understand all this correctly, Cecil masterminded the heist, and paid Francesco to smuggle it out of Portofino.  He then wrangled a deal with likely corrupt art dealer to sell the painting on down the line somewhere.  The substantial proceeds went into his bank account, and he then stiffed the American.  He paid off the weasel mayor, bailed Billy out (why?) and, through the goodness of his black heart, gave his wife 1000 pounds to run the hotel.  Oh, and he's apparently banging the imperious Mrs. Drummond, too.

Bella, having just got woke, did a fine job shutting Cecil out of her life.  I hope she can make a go of the hotel next season.

Sooner or later the grandmother is going to come across some real Italian lemonade, and will complain vociferously about its lack of flavor.

Had to laugh at the Agatha Christie comment.  Didn't we already say that?

The one thing that's a bit weird is the Count actually going after Lucien's sister.  Ick.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

So this schlock got a second season? Amazing. It's like they had about 5-10 minutes of drone pans of scenery when they could have beefed up dialogue.

I'll only watch S02 for the eye candy. My guess is that Lucien and Constance grow closer next season bc L stays in Portofino. I want that bastard husband to die, and I wear that shrew he's carrying on with to go with him. Then I'd like Rose to grow a pair and call off the wedding and marry someone else, leavung Lucien and Constance free to marry. And Alice can be alone because she's an ice cold bitch and the Counts affections are wasted on her. I'd much prefer her mother to get together with the Count. Okay, enough hypothsizing...it was like a cheap poor man's Agatha Christie who done it.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

bailed Billy out (why?) and, through the goodness of his black heart, gave his wife 1000 pounds to run the hotel. 

Even though Cecil is a huge piece of shit with absolutely no redeeming value, he still wants his wife to love him.

8 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

The one thing that's a bit weird is the Count actually going after Lucien's sister.  Ick.

Just curious, why is this Ick?  Because of the age difference?  She's such a humorless, nosy bitch.  The count could do so much better.

7 hours ago, gingerella said:

I want that bastard husband to die, and I wear that shrew he's carrying on with to go with him.

You are not alone!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I thought we'd learn more about who Bella was writing to.  I thought it might be a dear friend or something. 

I know we're supposed to love Lucian because his parents are pushing him into marriage, but he's old enough to spare Rose and Constance the pain, if he can't do it for himself..

I know we're supposed to love Constance because she's a single mother, but I find her very unattractive and sorry for herself.

I know we're supposed to love Claudine because she's African American, but she was having impulsive sex with strangers while living with the art dealer and she must have known he was married for quite sometime, but came over all outraged when she shouted about his having a wife in front of everyone.  Her great words of wisdom always sound more know-it-all than sisterly to me.  She certainly wasn't very sisterly to art-dealer's wife.

At least we're not supposed to like Cecil or Mrs. Drummond so that's easy.

I guess that leaves Bella and Rose, and I'm just sort of meh about them.

I am not a happy camper that Cecil the slime ball lived through season 1. That's going to be a permanent scar his wife will have and he tried to rape her!

On the whole it really is much more satisfying to have Rick Steves do a travelogue about the area.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Loved the costumes and the scenery.  

Hated the writing, the cast of characters, the actors, the acting, the soapy, anachronistic  ‘drama’ that couldn’t keep my attention… non sarò qui l'anno prossimo, arrivederci amici miei! 

• Like 3

I get the feeling the show is set up to be an anthology of sorts.  There will be an entirely (well, mostly) new cast of guests next year, and, with the exception of the weasel mayor, a new plot.  Maybe the writers will have a better grasp of what they want to do by then.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

I get the feeling the show is set up to be an anthology of sorts.  There will be an entirely (well, mostly) new cast of guests next year, and, with the exception of the weasel mayor, a new plot. 

That's promising but there's still the core cast of the Ainsworths  (Bella, Cecil, Lucian and Alice Mays-Smith) and their staff (Paola, Constance, Betty & Billy).  This bunch is problematic.

15 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

Maybe the writers will have a better grasp of what they want to do by then.

According to IMDB there's only one writer:  Matt Baker.  He was also the writer of the UK version of Professor T and of the UK version of Before We Die, both of which are better than HP.

• Love 1

I might be able to deal with the writing if the casting were better, i.e. if each character had a distinctive appearance.

The anthology idea reminds me that someone suggested making a series about the sinking of the Titanic. Each week, we would get to know some passengers and/or crew. Then sink the ship (yes, every week) and see who survived. There were more than 2000 people on board, so the series could continue for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2022 at 12:50 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Not so “ick”, when you consider he had the grace (when he realized Alice’s feelings), to relieve her unease, and his own embarrassment, by saying the bracelet was actually offered up by his son (how gallant, both save face). Notice that did not make her reconsider. The son, well…HE can’t be bothered (with ANYthing-total narcissist). Actually, the Count doesn’t really look too old, but Alice is very definitely not over her loss yet, and seems merely to want to be included in some of the fun her age-peers are enjoying. 

• Love 4
On 7/25/2022 at 12:01 PM, JudyObscure said:

we're supposed to love Constance because she's a single mother,

Connie is the nanny. Apparently, her illegitimate child is being raised by her own mother. Do you mean Alice, mother of Lottie, Bella and Cecil’s daughter, Lucien’s sister? The way Alice is acting is sporadic-sometimes petulant, sometimes mildly amiable. 

8 minutes ago, Daff said:

Connie is the nanny. Apparently, her illegitimate child is being raised by her own mother. Do you mean Alice, mother of Lottie, Bella and Cecil’s daughter, Lucien’s sister? The way Alice is acting is sporadic-sometimes petulant, sometimes mildly amiable. 

Yes, I mean Connie. She's single and she's a mother isn't she?

A rewatch made more of the early events/dialogues sensible. But still, facts were rolled out in confusing sequence. For example, why would we have to wait until episode 3, to have Cook reveal what happened to Alice’s husband? That should have been in the first episode. A rewatch also helps keep the young females straight. They really don’t look that similar, but acting is not distinguishing. 

3 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Yes, I mean Connie. She's single and she's a mother isn't she?

Yes, but how is she sorry for herself? Maybe you see moping, where I see dreaming. She was sent to start over, after all. I think she’ll continue to draw, explore, and grow. Connie has taken the advice of those around her, unlike Rose, who refused to confront her mother about the boat trip, and seemingly can’t get out of her own way. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Daff said:

Yes, but how is she sorry for herself?

Just in this last episode, she was  running off in tears when Lucian and Rose's engagement was announced.  All along she's pouted through her work, glowering while waiting table, flirting with Lucian, then running away from him when she saw his scars.  Millage varies, but I just don't find her appealing at all and I don't think being a good artist makes her any more  likeable than anyone else. 

• Love 2

The end of Season 1.  Lucian and Rose buckle to parental pressure and get engaged (and as the old saying goes, there is many a slip betwixt the cup and the lip).  I'd wish for something original here like maybe L & R finding that a few differences in life are ok (like she doesn't have to adore painting and be an extension of HIM), and actually coming to love each other, but this show seems to be aimed at either teenagers who are weird enough to like costume dramas or fans of daytime soap operas - in other words it's going to be formulaic. 

Personally, I'd much rather see that handsome Count end up with Bella and not her daughter.  I hate the older man/beautiful young woman story (even though it's so common in real life) and the thing about giving her such an expensive gift without there even being a relationship first reeks to me of "buying" a woman or proffering such gifts to an "adventuress"  (a polite term for a woman who climbed the social ladder by becoming mistress to wealthy, well-connected men).  It just seemed so wrong and almost gauche in a way.  No proper young woman would have accepted a gift like that from a man she barely knew, no matter what the man's age was. 

And of course, Connie is going to be the one who all the young men are going to have their eyes on.   Again, just the way this kind of thing is written: plucky young unwed mother working as a governess/maid catches the eye of all and sundry.  She will rise above her "past" and capture the heart of the young heir (won't be anything to inherit by the time dear old Dad is through) but there will be so many problems along the way.... For one, I don't  that Italian maid is going to go so quietly...  and of course there is the Lady Bitch Face (ok, so she may have a thing with Cecil but why be so gung-ho on marrying her daughter off to Lucian.  There would be plenty of suitors for Rose - many of them with lots of money of their own).  

We have not seen the last of the American gangster (because I think thats what he really is). Cecil had better watch his ass once that guy is back in town.   And speaking of Cecil, he and the Mayor seem to now have an "understanding" - as Cecil said,  "From one dog to another".    To me, that was the highlight of this episode.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, sugarbaker design said:

That's promising but there's still the core cast of the Ainsworths  (Bella, Cecil, Lucian and Alice Mays-Smith) and their staff (Paola, Constance, Betty & Billy).  This bunch is problematic.

According to IMDB there's only one writer:  Matt Baker.  He was also the writer of the UK version of Professor T and of the UK version of Before We Die, both of which are better than HP.

If you saw the original recipe Professor T, the Belgian version, you would not think as highly of Baker's UK version. It was crap compared to the Belgian original series. Just my two cents!

Also, this show seems to be trying to fill a very specific niche in British/PBS television series. I think it's trying to be in a category with other light and pithy dramas like: The Durrell's of Corfu and All Creatures Great and Small. But the quality of acting in the two aforementioned series, and their respective writing/storylines brought them to a much higher level. Whereas series like Hotel Portofino, Selfridges, and Frankie Drake Mysteries seem to be parodies of this sort of series.

Edited by gingerella
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, gingerella said:

If you saw the original recipe Professor T, the Belgian version, you would not think as highly of Baker's UK version. It was crap compared to the Belgian original series. Just my two cents!

I did, and while I think the Belgian version is better, I still think the UK version is not without its charms.  And that's my two cents!  ;)  And for the record the original Swedish version of Before We Die was immensely better than the UK version, saved only by the performance of Lesley Sharp.

2 hours ago, gingerella said:

I think it's trying to be in a category with other light and pithy dramas like: The Durrell's of Corfu and All Creatures Great and Small.

I think that's what the PBS programmers were shooting for, but they should've bought something else.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I think it's trying to be in a category with other light and pithy dramas like: The Durrell's of Corfu and All Creatures Great and Small.

But those are basically about good people who have their flaws, with no real "villains" or evil, so they're comforting entertainment (I'm currently rewatching The Durrells). They're "cozy" TV. This show has the rise of the fascists and gangsters and the evil husband. It's a totally different vibe. This is more like an even soapier Downton Abbey set in Italy and with bonus fascists. I wouldn't call this show "cozy."

I could totally go for something that's like The Love Boat, but in a hotel in 1920s Italy, with the soapy romantic entanglements involving the guests and staff. I could do without the husband and his crimes and the fascists. I know fascists were a real issue in Italy in that time period, and it wouldn't be honest to show this period without dealing with that, but I think it could be handled differently. There's kind of an emotional whiplash between the sunny scenes on the beach with painting lessons and the mean lady who mellows after getting hooked on "lemonade" and the staff member being beaten nearly to death by the fascists.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, gingerella said:

Also, this show seems to be trying to fill a very specific niche in British/PBS television series. I think it's trying to be in a category with other light and pithy dramas like: The Durrell's of Corfu and All Creatures Great and Small. But the quality of acting in the two aforementioned series, and their respective writing/storylines brought them to a much higher level. Whereas series like Hotel Portofino, Selfridges, and Frankie Drake Mysteries seem to be parodies of this sort of series.

I think The Durrell's  and All Creatures also have a sense of humor and look at the foibles of their characters with a loving and generous eye.  None of that in Hotel Portofino.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, gingerella said:

Not familiar with the Belgian Professor T but the British version was nothing to write home about, so I'll take your word.  If the same guy writes Hotel Portofino/Professor T/ and Before We Die,  he has mastered having a career as a real "hack" writer.  These shows  live or die on the ability of the actors to transcend the material as the writing is unoriginal and not really very interesting.   Somebody at PBS must feel that these shows are very popular with American viewers in that they keep showing them.   I guess if NCIS or The Blacklist had everybody speaking with British accents, the PBS execs would think of those shows on par with Shakespeare or something.    

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

This show reminds me of Seaside Hotel, a Danish drama about the staff and guests at a summer inn by the sea in Denmark in the 1920's.  I only caught a half dozen episodes on PBS, but the story lines could be heavy at times, like in Hotel Portofino.  Seaside Hotel follows the many of the same guests for multiple seasons, though, so I don't know if this will do the same.

On 7/19/2022 at 3:03 PM, Dowel Jones said:

I went back and rewatched and stopped it to get this much.  It was addressed to a Henry, and began with "I so wish you were by my side.  All I want to do is to give the guests a memorable experience of all this lovely country has to offer and for them to feel comfortable and rested during their stay here, but I seem to be (thwarted) from all sides..... (something else about a man with a great deal of power).  If you were here with me.....strong enough to get through this, but I feel I am on my own fighting battle after battle.  So write to me soon with some cheerful news.  As ever, your Bella  x"

I could see how the weasel would be able to use this a blackmail against her, but if things are as written, she's got some 'splainin' to do with her pompous husband.  

I am really confused on this.  I thought I saw Bella try to say "it's not what you think," or something like that, a couple of times, but was cut off by Cecil's ranting.  That letter as written could just as easily be to a father, a grandfather, an uncle...so I'm not entirely convinced she had an affair.  An affair is the likeliest and simplest explanation, and she's been writing secretly so she's been hiding something, but something's not adding up for me.

I'm also confused on Mrs. Drummond and Cecil.  They had a relationship in the past (as well as now!), and their families have been marrying for generations, as he told his son.  Did we ever find out what happened to end their relationship and why they didn't get married? 

Loved her ladyship and her medicinal limoncello!  I didn't love all the stuff with the corrupt fascist Mayor, but, I guess it's to be expected for this time period.  I'd like to see what Bella does with her new rules and new attitude, so I'll be back for another season.

Edited by izabella
  • Like 1
On 7/30/2022 at 7:22 PM, izabella said:

Did we ever find out what happened to end their relationship and why they didn't get married? 

Money, I think? Or assume. Neither had enough for the other, yadda yadda, some Cecil married Bella (whose dad has money) and Rose's mom married whoever Rose's dad is/was, who presumably had money. 

• Useful 1

Bella seems like a lot more fun to be around than Mrs. Drummond.  And a lot easier to be with.  But Cecil sucks, so I guess it's no surprise he's more interested in a lemon than a peach.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I am a little late to the game and finally watched this.  I won't say too much, since this thread is pretty much archival at this point.

I am largely in agreement with a lot of what was said on this thread.  Way too many mustache twirling villains.  I thought the husband had potential to be a gray character or at least have a few shades - but he had no redeeming qualities.  I kind of thought the finale would end with him being murdered, because he had made a lot of enemies or will once he double-dealings come out in the open.

I am ok with weak acting and obvious soap plots from time to time if the story is entertaining, but it is not like there were any unexpected twists.  The vapid writing and acting then seemed at odds for when they tried to bring in the more serious rise of the brown shirts.  

They showed a growing attraction between the son and Constance, but not enough where she had to leave the room when he announced his engagement (I doubt she felt they would get together at that point) or enough for him to do a 180 and go through with the engagement when he found out she had a child.  

Did we ever see Alice have any interaction with her child?  Even in the finale when she interrupted the tea party, the daughter does not even say -- "hello Mommy".   She is upset about her brother's interest in her, but no mention of - I don't want my daughter with her.   Another character who could have possibly been interesting if they would have spent some time developing her before making her a major spoiler in the finale.

Ok -- that might have been more time than I should have spent adding a comment to a dead thread....

• Like 3

Saw the first episode on NJ PBS last night, since season 7 of Seaside Hotel ended last week.   Was hoping for something entertaining, like Seaside Hotel, but only the scenery and maybe clothing are watchable.  Hoping some pbs station shows Seaside Hotel season 8 and 9 soon.   Can't do any of those passports, etc.  Stuck with just regular TV.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Starts tonight in USA.  I'm not worried about having forgot where we were.  As I recall it wasn't making much sense anyway, so we can just plunge in and enjoy the scenery and clothing again.

Yes, I just finished watching the beginning of Season 2 & I could not remember half the characters & what their back stories were.  The Husband is still creepy.  I do like the lovely clothes & scenery.

• Like 8

And same. The scenery and clothing is lovely as ever. But  I still see no charm in Bella, in the thing between Lucian and Constance, and why is there the whole subplot with Nish... 

I was surprised to see that it's only 6 episodes, another thing I had forgotten about the first season. 

• Like 4
11 hours ago, HappyHanna said:

I was surprised to see that it's only 6 episodes, another thing I had forgotten about the first season. 

That's why I watch, I love a six episode series.  Thank you UK!

I don't have a good feeling about this season.  I was hoping for a new bunch of guests, new intrigues, but it seems like many old faces are coming back, alas.

• Like 3

Sigh. A show that I'm watching because it's better than football.  

The clothing and scenery are still beautiful and the acting and storyline are still the pits.   This seems to be another show where AI could have made for better writing, and the actors all seem totally bored or majorly hamming it up (Bella's husband and his bitchy girlfriend in particular).   

I guess this show is for the eye candy crowd - from all other standpoints it's like something you'd get on the CW, except with period costumes.   Don't know if I can stand 6 episodes.  

• Like 3
On 10/15/2023 at 8:04 PM, BuckeyeLou said:

Yes, I just finished watching the beginning of Season 2 & I could not remember half the characters & what their back stories were. 

I really needed a recap/"previously on" because I'd forgotten who most of the characters were and what was going on with them, but PBS doesn't have anything. Even the Wikipedia page doesn't help. Fortunately, I found a written recap of all the episodes on one PBS local station site. It's funny how little of this series I remembered. I must have completely tuned out the season finale.

• Like 5

I quite like this show, even if it's 75% for the settings. But S. 1 seems so long ago, I'm feeling lost about who's who and what's what all over again. I considered rewatching the first season, but I'm not that dedicated.

Was Bella's husband recast, or is it the same actor? 

Edit: Scratch that, same guy according to IMDB.

Edited by kikicat
  • Like 3
On 10/20/2023 at 4:07 PM, kikicat said:

Was Bella's husband recast, or is it the same actor? 

It's the same actor.

You know the writing wants us to believe the husband is some flawed rascal who Bella should forgive and want to be in the same room with.

After how he physically abused her the answer should be never!

The writing on this show sucks!

• Like 5
On 10/23/2023 at 12:34 PM, magdalene said:

You know the writing wants us to believe the husband is some flawed rascal who Bella should forgive and want to be in the same room with.

After how he physically abused her the answer should be never!

I'm with you. Never! It's bad enough that their children have seemed to have no particular reaction to the "rascal's" abuse. But if Bella has a flirtation or affair, all hell will break loose.

I haven't seen the second episode yet...maybe hell already broke loose?

• Like 2

Yes, physical abuse is not just being "naughty."  Bella is stupid to allow Cecil back.  But then a lot of the plot seems to be driven by the characters being stupid.  Even Danioni is stupid/incompetent--how many times has he searched the hotel (or tonight the derelict house) and not found the person he was looking for?  

• Like 1