Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Pocket Full of Lightning

• Start Topic

“Flock of Shegulls “ Hee Hee!

death runs a hotel now. Who knew?

I know none of them had proper home training, but why are they pretty much all so horrible at actually thinking things through?!

Harlan is Sissy’s boy that Viktor resurrected, correct? That explains the tapes of “white noise” sounds. 

• Like 2
  • Love 4

Ok, it IS Harlan. The Sparrows are dropping like flies. A bit disappointing, to be honest. 

Diego sucks as a father, no surprises there. He's barely a grown-up himself.

Loved Klaus bonding with Reggie. 

I still don't like Lila.

I have a question: The floating cube was birthed by a woman?

The Umbrellas still try to solve things without talking to each other. I guess we wouldn't have another chaotic season otherwise. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

It was Harlan. I had to google to find out why the actor looked familiar. 

If they manage to fix what's going on, will the newer characters appear again, as themselves in the natural order of things? It feels weird to have them introduced, and then just killed off. And would Ben be gone for good? 

Their mothers dying before their birth date, might explain why only sixteen babies were born in this timeline. Other mothers would have been killed, but why leave sixteen of them?

Reginald being on pills that he has to take every day? He was insistent, just like Vanya, in the first season. 

How was it over a decade for Lila, but only two days for Diego? 

• Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, Anela said:

How was it over a decade for Lila, but only two days for Diego? 

She has a briefcase, so she just didn't bother coming to find him for twelve years. She's been around with her briefcase doing who knows what who knows when/where, and then finally decided to come find him. She just chose to find him immediately after he got back to the present.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 6
On 6/23/2022 at 11:54 PM, supposebly said:

I'm hoping it started out as a sphere.  Otherwise... ouch! 

I'm a bit torn between wanting to know what's with the cube, and wanting it to be one of those things that is just never explained. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

I actually don't mind that the Sparrows' numbers are dwindling, I never got a real handle on any of them so having fewer of them makes it easier. I really hated the poison-spitting one anyway.

• Love 7

Yeah, I think that when it comes to how Christopher was born it might be...best not to ask. 

Its too bad cell phones don't exist in this world, if the Umbrellas had a group chat these season would probably be about three episodes long. They're all so messy they can hardly talk to each other and keep getting distracted by random side quests. 

It sucks that they are killing off the Sparrows so quickly, the show often has an issue where they set up something really cool at the end of a season or at the start, and then never really follow through with it. Like at the end of season one where they briefly turn into their kid selves or at the start of season two where the gang actually became an effective team at some point and fought off an invading army, really interesting ideas but little came of it. 

I always love Luther and Diego snark. "Why do you hate tiny sandwiches?" 

Harlan! I wondered if it was him, but that was a great reveal.  

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Harlan! That was an awesome reveal. 

Two more Sparrows bite the dust.  Looks like Ben is the "Oh well. Collateral damage." type.  So I guess Sloane will stay with the Umbrellas for now.

I am curious how Christoper came to be, as well.  So the Sparrows were drugging Reginald Hargreeves? Wild.

So now Klaus, Fei, and Ben now know about the GP in the basement. I wonder how long it will take Klaus to tell his siblings about it?

It was amusing that Lila and Five used their mutual hate for each other to get to the Commission.  I'm also glad that Five gave up that school uniform.

Fei is the Sparrow I like the most. Hopefully she will see that Ben will lead her straight to hell.

• Love 2

I, too, am surprised that they're killing off the Sparrows rather quickly. I'm not sure if Marcus will somehow come back because the people in the floatting glowing sphere in the basement are alive or if he's gone-gone, but Alphonso and Jayme seem gone. At least until they fix the paradox, but wouldn't it make them different people as a result? Not physically, but with how they were raised?

I do find myself liking this season better than last season so far, but I've always had an issue with the show in general. I'm not even sure why, but I've felt like they have had plots that never reached their full potential. Or they've had problems that could have been solved the first moment they met up, since communication is their weak part.

The Klaus stuff is 100% better than last season's Klaus stuff, so that's good. I really loathed the cult aspect.

The Sparrows essentially keeping Reginald subdued is an interesting enough twist. I bet he regrets changing history now.

Lila/Five teaming up is actually interesting to me, so that'll be fun to see how they figure out their mess.

Wow, Diego really isn't a good father to Stan, but I guess that'll be his learning curve. Though I'm not a fan of Stan myself and kid storylines in packed shows like this always annoy me. I get Diego's annoyance; he doesn't have time to take care of a kid who gets in the way. He has to save the world again!

I like Sloane, and I like the Sloane/Luther stuff for now. Luther's been a highlight for me thus far. His stuff with Sloane on top of his reaction to Viktor. Which, speaking of Viktor, he's been great this season too. I love how he's been the voice of reason, especially for Allison, who's losing it.

Ben's a dick, Fei is at least interesting, and Christopher is a choice I never expected so....yeah. 

Harlan! Amazing reveal!

I'm slowly working my way through this season. I don't feel the need to rush through it, but still like it better than 2 so far.

• Love 5
On 6/23/2022 at 8:54 PM, supposebly said:

On 6/27/2022 at 3:08 PM, tennisgurl said:

Yeah, I think that when it comes to how Christopher was born it might be...best not to ask. 

They better explain Christopher at some point. 😫 I keep wondering, is the actual cube Christopher? Or is Christopher inside the cube? How? Why? Yeah, I better get an explanation.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I figured Christopher was an actual human at some point and then somehow became a cube. Stuck inside a cube is good spec too, I think.

This is what I've figured as well, since Christopher is specifically numbered as one of the babies born on that same day. But seeing it written out, I can't stop laughing at "somehow became a cube." This show, man.

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

I still want to know how Christopher came to be.

I wish they weren't killing off Sparrows so fast. They were interesting and so were their interactions with the Umbrella Academy.

I loved Klaus and Reginald. Those were really great scenes. Reginald was so horrified by his first set of kids he adopted another set that drug him. Good parenting again Reginald.

I love how no one noticed Luther wasn't around and the pathetic attempts to cover up that they didn't know. Poor Luther.  I love that he wanted to throw a party for Viktor. Welcoming Viktor as their brother was really nice.

Of course Five doesn't tell anyone that he and Lila have the briefcase. 

Deigo is a terrible father. But I love his interactions with Stanley.

I loved the beginning explanation of the grandfather paradox.

• Love 3
On 7/2/2022 at 2:53 AM, andromeda331 said:

I love how no one noticed Luther wasn't around

And then seemed to do the exact same thing with Klaus! (i.e. no one seemed to know or care where he was leading up to or during the Sparrow showdown)

The Klaus/ Reginald part was my favorite. I'm kind of "meh" on everything else so far this season.

And I wish Justin Min could do a better job with Evil Ben... his acting is kind of painful to watch (and I say this as someone who thoroughly enjoyed him as Ghost Ben).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

And I wish Justin Min could do a better job with Evil Ben... his acting is kind of painful to watch (and I say this as someone who thoroughly enjoyed him as Ghost Ben).

I've hated watching Evil Ben and thought it was because I loved Ghost Ben and didn't like the change in the character. But now that you mention the acting, I agree that the acting is a big part of the problem--JM seems to be trying to portray this Ben as a mustache-twirling villain without any layers.

Actually, the lack of layers or depth in the Sparrows is a big part of the reason that I am not enjoying this season as much as the first two. The human Sparrows seem one-dimensional and thoroughly unlikable (except maybe Marcus and Sloane), and Christopher is just a cube that the others occasionally react to. (It might help if the writers gave any clue to what Christopher was/is.) Maybe the Sparrows were decent when they were younger, but now they all seem more like villains than heroes, narcissistic and enjoying the infliction of pain and death. The Umbrellas have their faults and can be unlikable at times (especially Five and Klaus), but they've all been portrayed as basically good at heart and not wanting to hurt others unless they have to. I don't think the difference between the Sparrows and the Umbrellas is entirely due to the difference in upbringing, though I'm sure that having warm parental figures in Pogo and Grace did help the Umbrellas avoid becoming horrible adults.  

• Love 4
On 7/8/2022 at 7:17 AM, Paloma said:

I've hated watching Evil Ben and thought it was because I loved Ghost Ben and didn't like the change in the character. But now that you mention the acting, I agree that the acting is a big part of the problem--JM seems to be trying to portray this Ben as a mustache-twirling villain without any layers.

Actually, the lack of layers or depth in the Sparrows is a big part of the reason that I am not enjoying this season as much as the first two. The human Sparrows seem one-dimensional and thoroughly unlikable (except maybe Marcus and Sloane), and Christopher is just a cube that the others occasionally react to. (It might help if the writers gave any clue to what Christopher was/is.) Maybe the Sparrows were decent when they were younger, but now they all seem more like villains than heroes, narcissistic and enjoying the infliction of pain and death. The Umbrellas have their faults and can be unlikable at times (especially Five and Klaus), but they've all been portrayed as basically good at heart and not wanting to hurt others unless they have to. I don't think the difference between the Sparrows and the Umbrellas is entirely due to the difference in upbringing, though I'm sure that having warm parental figures in Pogo and Grace did help the Umbrellas avoid becoming horrible adults.  

That is the problem. We don't know why anyone is the way they are in the Sparrow Academy. We know why the siblings in the Umbrella Academy are the way they are. Ben's an asshole. But why is he an asshole? Who knows. Why is Christopher a cube? Who knows. Why were Marcus and Sloane nice? 

• Love 6