Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E22: You and Me

• Start Topic

(edited)

Whomever wrote the script for this episode [especially Voight's] needs to go back to script writing school.

What a piece of crap.   Worst finale this season.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

Hailey and Jay have as much chemistry as a houseplant. I mean, really. She gets blown up and he barely cares. He treats her like any Jane Doe stranger he'd come across on the street... But the worst part was how quickly she recovered and was still in the rest of the episode. I thought for sure after she got blown up that we would be free of her for a while and the episode might be decent, but nope. Ugh. 

I don't even know what to say about the rest of that mess. 

I think I'll be scheduling an earlier bedtime for myself starting in the fall...

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

What a terrible season finale‼️👎🏻

What’s the point of having that big explosion with no impact to the characters involved except for ear bleed? The lack of chemistry between Upstead was so f-king obvious, Jay clearly treated his wife like a Jane Doe.

The show has been foreshadowing Anna’s death since the beginning, it’s predictable and lame! Am glad Anna is dead and I don’t have to see her again. Of course it has to be Hailey who shot her. She inserted herself AGAIN when Voight and Jay were trying to keep her out of this Anna-Escano debacle.

Escano’s arc has lost its momentum in between episodes and the writers are to be blamed for it. They should be more consistent in building up the stories they wrote.

The Voight vs Upstead vs Burzek vs Kevin centric storytelling has got to go. We want to see the assemble!

• Love 3

I kept looking at my watch, thinking there had to be more. Otherwise, I truly wasted that hour.

Was there a conclusion to a story that explained anything? No...

Was there a cliffhanger? No...

Was there a happy come-together moment like NCIS: LA or NCIS: Hawaii? No...

Just confusion and irritation... It would have made more sense if, after Anna died, Voight just took off this vest, handed his badge to Halstead, and walked away...

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, SoapDoc said:

It would have made more sense if, after Anna died, Voight just took off this vest, handed his badge to Halstead, and walked away...

That would have been a good finale, instead of his bumbling, lying, pleading, apologetic, asinine, repetitive bullshit throughout.

• Love 4
(edited)

So a finale based around 3 morally repugnant characters doing their typical morally repugnant bullshit huh? Sounds rivetting.

I was amused that Upton obsessives were expecting half the episode to be taken up with her husband & team hovering over her like Mother Teresa was dying. If Kim can get shot twice and flatline and apparently be back at work in two weeks, then of course Upton would be perfectly fine and back whining before the first ad break.

Here's an idea? Not happy about lying to cover up a murder..... you know you could actually go to the Ivory Tower or FBI and admit to your own crimes. No, let's just continue to whine about it ad nauseum, continue to hide the truth from Kim and continue to stick you nose in where it is not needed and then whine about how wrong it is.

I honestly hope they aren't setting this up for Halstead in charge because this would be the final nail in the coffin of this show.

Not quite sure why they decided to basically sideline 3 main characters in a finale? That's not how you engage an audience or give people a reason to watch next season. An ideal finale leaves every fan, no matter who their fave is wondering what happens next and a reason to come back. This show didn't do any of that... at all.

What a terrible finale.

Thank god this season is over. I give it a solid D-

Edited by Guildford
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Guildford said:

I honestly hope they aren't setting this up for Halstead in charge because this would be the final nail in the coffin of this show.

Halstead from season 2 or 3? Fine. Halstead now? No. I totally agree. What the writers have done to him is character assassination. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Halstead from season 2 or 3? Fine. Halstead now? No. I totally agree. What the writers have done to him is character assassination. 

YES!!! Old Jay absolutley, this feckless version would be hilariously bad

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Guildford said:

YES!!! Old Jay absolutley, this feckless version would be hilariously bad

I was on Facebook last night, and saw that there are finally plenty of other people there who agree with us. So many comments said that Jay can stay but Hailey needs to go, then Jay can go back to the way he was. We're not alone! But if only... 

• Love 2
(edited)
23 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

But the worst part was how quickly she recovered and was still in the rest of the episode.

She flew through the air and upon landing didn't break any bones?  

You'd think an episode would all the car action would have been exciting, but I was bored stiff. 🙄

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Bleeding from the ear, but no concussion?!  The explosion was pointless. 

I think it was supposed to be like last year when Kim was punched in the head right at the end of the penultimate episode.... except that was a much better storyline & more people cared about Kim & watched the finale to see what happened to her.  This lacked any real oomph & from the way they didn't even bother to promote it I think they knew.

Perhaps it should've been someone everyone likes....like Atwater, maybe people would've cared then?

Lacklustre is overselling how PD bowed out this year. It wasn't even wimper.

Agree with everyone.  Not a very satisfying finale.

I must have missed a sequence or been falling asleep.  It was I think last week where we saw Voight meet Escano on a bench in a park.  Escano gave him an envelope of money and then also a tracking device back.  Why?  What was that all about?  And then Anna said this week to Escano something like "that's why they put a tracking device on you".  Was Voight and Escano in cahoots?  What was all that?  Very very confused.

When Voight picked up Anna frantically and told her to jump in the car, then he takes her to the police station, she's in a daze and she muttered something like "he's letting me be seen".  So was there a dirty cop that then tipped of Escano?  Was this how Escano knew Anna was working with Voight?  How did she get blown?  I had absolutely no clue what was happening at the end.  The guy in the motel gets shot by some dude.  Who was that guy?  The guy blows up the drugs in the truck.  Why?  To cover tracks?  And Escano meanwhile was just hanging out at the money house?  I don't know if my brain just isn't understanding things these days or if I'm just not paying attention.

Anna...sigh. We all knew this character wasn't going to make it through the season.  Which is sad because now the kid is orphaned.  So she wanted out of the game.  She was an emotional wreck with PTSD from the gang rape.  So she goes and kills and castrates Escano.  She knows she's done.  But when Voight tries to help her, she just wants to leave and shoots him?  WTH?  Why didn't she just get back in her car (or was it non-operable?) and leave?  Voight wasn't going to physically take her down.  What good would come out of shooting him?  Hailey/Jay had no choice but to shoot her.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Agree with everyone.  Not a very satisfying finale.

I must have missed a sequence or been falling asleep.  It was I think last week where we saw Voight meet Escano on a bench in a park.  Escano gave him an envelope of money and then also a tracking device back.  Why?  What was that all about?  And then Anna said this week to Escano something like "that's why they put a tracking device on you".  Was Voight and Escano in cahoots?  What was all that?  Very very confused.

When Voight picked up Anna frantically and told her to jump in the car, then he takes her to the police station, she's in a daze and she muttered something like "he's letting me be seen".  So was there a dirty cop that then tipped of Escano?  Was this how Escano knew Anna was working with Voight?  How did she get blown?  I had absolutely no clue what was happening at the end.  The guy in the motel gets shot by some dude.  Who was that guy?  The guy blows up the drugs in the truck.  Why?  To cover tracks?  And Escano meanwhile was just hanging out at the money house?  I don't know if my brain just isn't understanding things these days or if I'm just not paying attention.

Anna...sigh. We all knew this character wasn't going to make it through the season.  Which is sad because now the kid is orphaned.  So she wanted out of the game.  She was an emotional wreck with PTSD from the gang rape.  So she goes and kills and castrates Escano.  She knows she's done.  But when Voight tries to help her, she just wants to leave and shoots him?  WTH?  Why didn't she just get back in her car (or was it non-operable?) and leave?  Voight wasn't going to physically take her down.  What good would come out of shooting him?  Hailey/Jay had no choice but to shoot her.

I think this is one of the many issues with this show, the non-linear, non-sensical writing from one episode to the next. The characters are haphazard at best, it's all over the shop. Nothing makes sense and they try too hard to make this convoluted and 'suspenseful' but the audience is just left confused, especially when things are then just dropped for weeks on end after it.

• Love 8

Near the end I suspected Anna took out Escano to take his place. Voight’s head would have exploded from the brilliant double cross move by Anna. I kind of wish that’s how it ended!  Anna would come back as next seasons big villain. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/28/2022 at 11:26 AM, Rabithed said:

Near the end I suspected Anna took out Escano to take his place. Voight’s head would have exploded from the brilliant double cross move by Anna. I kind of wish that’s how it ended!  Anna would come back as next seasons big villain. 

While that would've been an interesting twist it is expecting a lot from the writers that delivered the Roy debacle where the only outcome of Kim getting beaten, shot and flatlining was the Crimestead's getting married.

• Love 1

I liked Anna. At least the character was different. They had a chance to have two characters redeem themselves and they blew it. I don't know why they won't let Voight try to play a straight game.  Ok lying to a ci is one thing(bad enough) but covering up a murder, tampering with evidence just literally and figuratively recycles the sos.

Just 'a' possibility. When they came into the hospital Voight looked like his wound was actually treated with a formal bandage  and they could have faked Anna's death for witness protection. Doubt it though because death would be mercy for Anna.  Then Halstead asking what he could do. For a while I thought they were setting up Upton to be Voight's replacement but when she screamed she didn't want to go through that again she probably won't.  The record drug find/bust will clean the slate for a while anyway for next season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I have gone searching for others that felt the way I did about that lacklster finale. People kept saying it was the best thing ever when all it did was remind me of everything wrong with the season. Even the reviews and recaps I read were far too flattering to that heaping mass of garbage they called a finale. Well except one, I think. I was starting to think I had watched something entirely different.

I liked Anna. I thought Carmela Zumbado and Jason did great with what they were given, but they just did not spend enough time on this storyline with Escano and I flat out forgot what the latest was because they'd drop the storyline for weeks at a time. You could drive a semi through all the holes in this storyline. 

And why on earth did they sideline the best characters for a FINALE? I had to rewind because I sneezed and missed Trudy. Kevin, Kim, and Adam made that bust and it was barely shown. WHY do they keep excluding them from everything all the time? It's one of many reasons that first half of the season was unbearable. 

Gun-touting Barbie forcing herself into a situation and then deciding she had moral high ground to walk on was ludicrous. And how was she whining about what stuff cost them last time? It didn't cost them anything? She and Combat Ken got married. He and Voight covered for her. They all got away with everything for the millionth time. Why was it all fine and dandy when they were covering for Barbie but Not okay that they wanted to cover for Anna? It rubbed me the wrong way. And so did her smirk when Voight was crying over Anna but I'm pretty sure that was just the actress having resting smirk/grimace face. 

I thought it was such a weak, predictable finale. The previous episode was much better with the explosion that was basically meaningless. They should have just left it there.

I don't even know what to expect from next season. They didn't set up anything beyond maybe more jaded Voight, but if they sideline him for another season then that'll be pointless too. 

• Love 2

I think it was a weak story, we never heard of this bakery villan, and all the sudden he's the key to stopping crime in Chicago.  The actress playing Ana is good, but they needed a lot more than what she could pick up to make a case against him.  No chemistry between Haley and Jay, just put a pin in it already.  Unlike Kim and Adam, who just ooze chemistry even when they aren't together.  Writers need to stop forcing something unwatchable on us.  And why can't Kevin have a love interest already? He's a hunk and a nice guy, can't believe he can't find someone.

• Love 4
On 5/31/2022 at 10:24 AM, jabRI said:

Haley and Jay, just put a pin in it already.  Unlike Kim and Adam, who just ooze chemistry

Adam even had a small amount of chemistry with Bland Haley. But you're right, Jay and Haley have no chemistry at all.  It's almost creepy.

I might be in the minority but Jay and Erin didnt have chemistry either.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 1/22/2022 at 9:20 AM, Guildford said:

I hope that I am wrong too, I do really like her character. It just feels very familiar to the Darrius Walker arc. I really enjoyed him as Voight's CI & it had potential to be a long term thing & Michael Beech was awesome, but then Blondie got pissy & threw a temper tantrum & had him murdered. Hopefully she stays away from Anna. 

😂 How prophetic (or just the same predictable bland writing)... Blondie again got pissy & the outcome for Anna was the same. At least she did her own dirty work this time.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:31 PM, greyhorse said:

Anna...sigh. We all knew this character wasn't going to make it through the season.  Which is sad because now the kid is orphaned

Is the kid going to live with Voight next season? You know, because of his guilt in not saving Anna, and because raising at-risk kids is kinda his thing?