Type keyword(s) to search

X-Files Episode Elimination Game

Terma's toast with 7 votes, Demon's dead with 5 and Elegy's (*sob*) eradicated with 3. Home made it with 2 votes.

A mytharc feature from season 5 is appropriately let loose: Patient X (5) and The Red and the Black (3). But The Unusual Suspects and Folie a Deux weren't far behind with 2 each.

Season 4:

Home

Unruhe

Paper Hearts

Leonard Betts

Never Again

Memento Mori

Small Potatoes

Season 5:

Redux II

Unusual Suspects

Detour

Chinga

Bad Blood

Folie a Deux

The End

I imagine there are some painful decisions to be made for season 4 going forwards.

Two from each season in order of least preferred.

Edited by joelene

I imagine there are some painful decisions to be made for season 4 going forwards.

Boy howdy.  With season five, on the other hand, I'm still coasting along with episodes I barely remember.

S4:

Home

Paper Hearts (ouch!!)

S5:

Unusual Suspects

The End

I'm having season 3 voting flashbacks, ugh.

Season 4:

Paper Hearts

Never Again (rewatched last night. Still great -"BURN HER! BURN HERRRR! - but not quite top 5)

Season 5:

Unusual Suspects

Redux II

Edited by joelene

Yeah, season 4 just got really tough.  Season 5 is only difficult in the sense that there are three I care strongly about keeping around (Redux II, Detour, Bad Blood) and I don't know which of the others I think should go first.  But it's not painful because I really don't care.  (Also, let's be real...Bad Blood is going to win the season in a landslide, so I'm not worried.)

Looking at season 4 I already know that choosing my #1 favorite is going to be tough.  Do I go with significant and emotional (Memento Mori) or light and fun and incredibly rewatchable (Small Potatoes)?  I mean, assuming both of those are still around at the end.

Season 4:

Unruhe

Home

Season 5:

The End

Unusual Suspects

Edited by smrou

(Also, let's be real...Bad Blood is going to win the season in a landslide, so I'm not worried.)

I don't know, remember that game on TWoP with the ++ and --, where we were doing the best of the whole series round and Bad Blood was in the lead for the entire game and then at the last minute something else - Memento Mori, maybe - shot ahead and won?  Maybe Detour will squeak in or something.  (Like you, I assume Bad Blood will win this season handily, but I'm just saying I've been surprised before.) 

Edited by Bastet

That's the idea, I believe - joelene mentioned it way back when, and it seems the perfect way to wrap things up would be to vote our way down to a favorite from the top three (or whatever) of each season.

Of course we are! Depending on how many are still playing/up for it I thought we could possibly do our top 5's for a mega round. That or top 3 if 45 eps seems too much (but I figured we'd do away with big chunks of 5 in the beginning so it doesn't take forever)

ETA: If we did a top 5 I thought it might be clearer which seasons, in the end, would rank the highest. Almost every season has a really strong top 3 after all, but maybe not a really strong top 5.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1
I don't know, remember that game on TWoP with the ++ and --, where we were doing the best of the whole series round and Bad Blood was in the lead for the entire game and then at the last minute something else - Memento Mori, maybe - shot ahead and won?

I don't remember if I participated in that particular ++/-- game but what I remember most about those games is that I would get way too emotionally invested, so I stopped playing them pretty quickly.  I'd get seriously angry if something I loved was getting downvoted by other people.  And there would be people who would play those games despite the fact that they never made a single post elsewhere in the forum and even though obviously that is completely their right to do I'd end up feeling like, "Dude, who are you and why are you here down-voting my favorites???"  

So yeah, I had to quit those.  Because I am ridiculous.

• Love 3

Y'all refuse to make this easy, don't you? Never Again is dust with 4 votes. Easy enough. But then Home, Unruhe and Paper Hearts all got 3 votes with no clear loser among them. Wrestle with what to do next, I had to! Technically Paper Hearts won with 4 points and the others got 5, so do we get rid of those two plus NA and have the next round just voting for one? Have a vote between just the Home, Unruhe and PA to get a clear ranking? In the end I had to make a decision and I choose to just get rid of Never Again and have a three vote penultimate round for season 4. Hopefully, with one episode gone, placement 6 - 4 will be clearer. Who knows, maybe everyone decides they hate Small Potatoes? As Heidi Klum so wisely says: One day you're in and the next you're owt.

Season 5 was easier. The Unusual Suspects got 6 votes and Folie a Deux (le sigh, my personal second favourite of the season) got 4 votes. Just like the doll, Chinga keeps coming back to life with 3 votes.

Season 4:

Home

Unruhe

Paper Hearts

Leonard Betts

Memento Mori

Small Potatoes

Season 5:

Redux II

Detour

Chinga

Bad Blood

The End

Vote for three season 4 episodes and two season 5 episodes in the order you want them owt.

Edited by joelene

I'm bummed about Never Again, but then I look at the list and realize there are only two I'd send out before it and even those are episodes I like just as much.

S4:

Home

Paper Hearts

Unruhe

S5:

The End (either I'm forgetting something really good from this or it speaks to the weakness of this season)

Chinga (I predict this will finally be it, and this is right where I'd put it in the rankings ... only Kill Switch would be above it)

THE FEELS.

This HURTS, guys.

Home  (okay, that one doesn't hurt, because the sheriff being bludgeoned to death in front of his wife is too horrific for me to rewatch this one unless I have to)

Leonard Betts

Unruhe

Chinga

The End (I love Gibson Praise beyond the telling of it, so sorry Gibson!)

• Love 2

Interesting round. Home and Unruhe both got 7 votes. Home lost the head to head between the two with 15 points against Unruhes 12. Next you decided you wanted Paper Hearts in the game more than Leonard Betts which got 4 votes. Paper Hearts and Memento Mori both got 3. Meanwhile Small Potatoes has not received a single vote which I believe only Clyde Bruckman's has achieved before. But that episode didn't win (in fact it placed 3rd) so we shall see...

Except that Detour and Bad Blood have also ended up in that league! Season 5 is yet again clear as a bell with The End getting all 8 votes and Chinga 7. Ding dong, the doll is dead. Redux II was runner up with only 1 vote.

Season 4:

Paper Hearts

Memento Mori

Small Potatoes

Season 5:

Redux II

Detour

Bad Blood

Final round! Vote for your winner!!

Edited by joelene

Season 4:  

Memento Mori

Season 5:

Bad Blood  (but it's really, really killing me to not vote for Detour b/c I LOVE that episode so much.  it was such a breath of fresh air after the cancer arc.... Sorry, Detour!  I love you too!  Mwah!) 

Season 4:

Small Potatoes!

My own 2nd and 3rd place would've gone to Leonard Betts and Unruhe.

Season 5:

Bad Blood!

But yeah, Detour is reeeeally great. I was thinking Folie a Deux for my runner up but I might've changed my mind.

Edited by joelene

Season Four: Small Potatoes

(Followed by Memento Mori, then Paper Hearts, but my real third place episode would be Leonard Betts)

Season Five: Bad Blood

(By a landslide, as it's my favorite of the series, and then followed by Detour and Redux II)

So far MM and SP are tied in season 4.  This seems appropriate.  I basically flipped a coin.  I kept typing one, then deleting and typing the other, then deleting and retyping the other.  I seriously did that at least four times.  I still don't feel good about my choice because I feel like I have to choose Small Potatoes, but I know if I went back and changed to that it would feel wrong because I have to choose Memento Mori.

• Love 1

Hahaa, love it! And so exciting with the votes! It's been a close call with every season, I really like that. Well, except season 5.

Approaching the game for season 6 and 7 I've rewatched a bunch of episodes I haven't watched in forever or been unsure of. Yes, I currently have a lot if time on my hands, but it's been great. I enjoyed all things far more than I thought I would. I had it in my head that it was a constant voice over by Scully but far from it.

I've also rewatched Rain King, S.R. 819, The Unnatural, Three of a Kind, Field Trip (because it's awesome and I couldn't help myself watching it again), Hungry, Millennuim, En Ami, First Person Shooter and Requim. For better and for worse. Might watch Chimera and Triangle too.

Edited by joelene

Season 4 is really hard.  But I have to go for Small Potatoes, even though I could easily vote for the other two.  I'm picking that because I could watch it every day and never get tired of it.  Queequeg, that's one of my favorite bits too. And the H falling off the house.  It's the little things.

Season 5 is a no brainer.  Bad Blood. Was there ever any doubt?  At one point, I probably had the damn thing memorized.  Second place would go to Detour, and then third would be a toss up between Redux II and Folie a Deux. 

I love Memento Mori, but Small Potatoes is nevertheless something of a runaway winner for me due to its rewatchability factor.

I basically had to make the choice between rewatchability (SP all the way) and significance (MM wins there).  Because I think they're both phenomenal episodes.  

Wow, this really is hard. I keep changing my mind as well. Yesterday, I would have chosen Small Potatoes, but now, I'm going to go with Memento Mori. It's such a touching episode and I'm a sucker for an attentive Mulder and sweet emotional scenes.

And that is why I'm going against the overwhelming majority here, and voting for Redux II. It has always been one of my favorite episodes of the series.

Bad Blood is an absolute gem. But among the funny episodes, I still prefer Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Edited by mauve
  • Love 1

The show must go on, tie or no tie, with Memento Mori and Small Potatoes both receiving four votes. Both winners? Maybe, but I'm gonna let any late voter (AntiBeeSpray?) cast a deciding vote, if they so choose, during our next round. If not, we will have our first double win!

Paper Hearts received zero votes. Bless. We still love ya.

Season 5 was a slam dunk and Bad Blood is the winner (as if anyone thought differently)! Hooray! Redux II is runner up with 1 vote. Detour, sadly, got none.

Full season rankings!

Season 4:

24. The Field Where I Died

22. Teliko (tied)

22. El Mundo Gira (tied)

21. Unrequited

18. Sanguinarium (tied)

18. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man (tied)

18. Zero Sum (tied)

17. Kaddish

16. Synchrony

14. Herrenvolk (tied)

14. Tempus Fugit (tied)

13. Gethsemane

12. Tunguska

11. Max

10. Terma

09. Demons

08. Elegy

07. Never Again

05. Home (tied)

05. Unruhe (tied)

04. Leonard Betts

03. Paper Hearts

01. Memento Mori (tied winner!)

01. Small Potatoes (tied winner!)

Season 5

20. Travelers

18. The Post-Modern Prometheus (tied)

18. Schizogeny (tied)

17. Redux

15. Christmas Carol (tied)

15. The Pine Bluff Variant (tied)

14. All Souls

12. Emily (tied)

12. Mind's Eye (tied)

11. Kill Switch

10. Kitsenugari

09. Patient X

08. The Red and the Black

07. The Unusual Suspects

06. Folie a Deux

05. The End

04. Chinga

03. Detour

02. Redux II

01. Bad Blood

No real surprises as far as I can see. Hurts to see some personal favourites far down the list but them's the breaks. Doesn't change how you feel about them, other opinions be damned!

Thanks everyone for your continued participation! :D

And we have new seasons. I don't think I know the general consensus on fan favourites (apart from one or three) from these seasons so this could prove exciting!

Season 6:

The Beginning

Drive

Triangle

Dreamland

Dreamland II

How The Ghosts Stole Christmas

Terms of Endearment

The Rain King

S.R. 819

Tithonus

Two Fathers

One Son

Agua Mala

Monday

Arcadia

Alpha

Trevor

Milagro

The Unnatural

Three of a Kind

Field Trip

Biogenesis

Season 7:

The Sixth Extinction

The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati

Hungry

Millennium

Rush

The Goldberg Variation

Orison

The Amazing Maleeni

Signs & Wonders

Sein und Zeit

Closure

X-Cops

First Person Shooter

Theef

En Ami

Chimera

all things

Brand X

Hollywood A.D.

Fight Club

Je Souhaite

Requiem

Vote for three episodes from each season in the order you least like them.

Edited by joelene

I don't know if I should even vote on these seasons, especially seven, since there are so many I don't remember (and there are probably episodes from season seven I've never even seen).  Oh well - it's not like there are any real-world consequences to this, so I'll give it a go.

S6:

The Beginning

Two Fathers

The Unnatural

S7:

First Person Shooter

Fight Club

Closure

Hey joelene, you've got Max on there twice, but Tempus Fugit is MIA.   (ignore!  I'm too slow... lol.  I was too busy digging for a gif of that convo below from chimera)

Season 6:

Alpha (sorry Over the Rhine)

Trevor

Terms of Endearment

I actually really struggled with Season 6 already, surprisingly!  It's not that I love these eps, but very few eps I really disliked.

Season 7:

Fight Club

Brand X

Chimera  (the only highlight of this episode is the exchange below)

ELLEN ADDERLY: Do you have a ... a significant other?

MULDER: Um, not in the widely understood definition of that term.

ELLEN ADDERLY: Ah. Well, the right woman will come along and change all that. Don't miss out on home and family, Mr. Mulder. With all the terrible things you must see in your work-- well, it could be a refuge for you.

Edited by queequeg

Sorry for being late! Rl stuff. Dang it :P.

S6:

Agua Mala

Three of A Kind (since Mulder wasn't there, dang it :P)

Milagro (just not really a fan of this one)

S7:

First Person Shooter (to borrow a phrase from Roger Ebert: I HATED, HATED, HATED this episode! It was sexist, pure and simple)

Signs & Wonders (too dang religious oriented)

Brand X

Thanks for the heads up! I got confused by one of the posts when I gathered the results.

I actually really struggled with Season 6 already, surprisingly! It's not that I love these eps, but very few eps I really disliked.

Same here! None of them are an affront to my X-Files eyes.

Season 6:

Alpha (though this one is pretty much strictly Dullsville)

The Unnatural (Great opening and closing scenes and a sweet snoozefest in the middle. Alien Bounty Hunter as a grey looked ridiculous)

Trevor

Season 7:

Brand X

First Person Shooter (What a missed opportunity. They should have had Mulder and Scully in the game longer playing through levels. And yes, the sexism)

Signs & Wonders (said Fight Club first but got reminded of this one. Bah! But I liked Tracy Middendorff giving birth to a litter of snakes)

Edited by joelene