Type keyword(s) to search

X-Files Episode Elimination Game

Season 8: This Is Not Happening and Essence is out with 4 votes, Vienen and Per Manum with 3. Deadalive, Alone and Existence all got 2 votes so who knows which will win?!

Season 9: Providence got 5 votes, Scary Monsters 4 votes and 4-D 3 votes. Improbable got 2 and Release 1. Will The Truth be le winner? Do we really like the finale that much? Who can say?

Season 8:
Deadalive
Alone
Existence

Season 9:
Improbable
Release
The Truth

Final round! Vote for your favourite!!

This was my reaction to Improbable making the final round:

x-filesa124.jpg

Queequeg, mine too!

I guess I'll vote for Existence, just for the last scene.

For season 9, I can't vote for Improbable, and I have zero recollection of Release, so I have to vote for the Truth by default, even though I'm fairly certain it was a terrible finale that I only watched once.  Maybe twice.  I stopped my recent rewatch right before William, because I just couldn't with that story line, so I have very little memory of everything after it.  Still, it was the final episode of my favorite show of all time, so I guess it's fitting to vote for it.

• Love 1

Okay, I now that we're down to three, I will vote!  (Though it might make sense to disregard my vote for season 9, at least if there's any kind of tie, because I watched exactly one episode from that whole season...and it's the one I'm voting for.   And I don't even think it's good!)  Basically, take Mulder out of the picture and I cease to care because I'm here for the Dynamic Duo.  So as will be very clear, my votes essentially come down to: which episode featured kissing?

Season 8:

Existence

Screenshot139.jpg

Season 9:

The Truth

Screenshot045.jpg

This was my reaction to Improbable making the final round:

Had you considered it...improbable?    ba dum tish

• Love 2

Aahahaa, I can't really blame you about Improbable, I didn't like it at all on my first watch. It's so dumb. But then last time I saw it, it just made me smile. I had a lot of fun and it looks like the cast did too. Ellen Greene shows up and I love the scene when they're trapped in the garage.

I don't remember having fun with Le Truth and I doubt I would on a rewatch. Release, well, Doggett got to learn what happened to his kid, which was nice, but the episode itself just drags (I rewatched it yesterday otherwise I couldn't have told you a single thing about it).

So I'm voting for Improbable. You just make your faces!

Oh, and for season 8 I vote for Alone. Leyla Harrison <3

Kissing's not a bad reason for voting on them, either.

Edited by joelene

When all else fails, vote for the kissing!  Hee!  I love it.

My votes are also Existence and The Truth, but for more than just the kissing.  ;)  Existence because the episode itself is hella terrifying (if I had to pick a worst recurring nightmare of mine, it would be people relentlessly out to harm/kill me and I don't know why ...shudder... ) but then ends on such a lovely note.  The Truth because Mulder is in it (!) but also because they literally pulled in everyone from now-dead Krycek (Krycek, noooo!) to Crispy!Spender to X.  And they did it in a way that makes sense to the episode. 

Small point - I loved seeing Mulder's reaction to Spender, and their non-verbal communication.  I am endlessly fascinated by their relationship, both before and after we find out they are brothers.

• Love 1

Results!

The winner of season 8 is Existence with 3 votes! I would never have guessed, to be honest. Then again I'm not sure what I would have guessed. Alone is runner up with 2 votes and Deadalive placed 3rd with 1 vote.

The Truth wins season 9 with 5 votes. That's everyone except moi who voted for Improbable. No one voted for Release to win, surprise surprise. I wonder how far the winners make it in the All Stars round.

Season 8:

20. Salvage (tied)

20. Badlaa (tied)

19. Surekill.

18. Three Words

17. Patience

16. The Gift

15. Within

14. Without

13. Empedocles

12. Invocation

10. Roadrunners (tied)

10. Medusa (tied)

09. Via Negativa

08. Redrum

07. This Is Not Happening

06. Essence

05. Vienen

04. Per Manum

03. Deadalive

02. Alone

01. Existence

Season 9:

19. Jump the Shark

18. Lord of the Flies

17. William

16. Sunshine Days

14. Dæmonicus (tied)

14. Underneath (tied)

13. Hellbound

12. Trust No 1

11. John Doe

10. Audrey Pauley

09. Nothing Important Happened Today

07. Nothing Important Happened Today II (tied)

07. Provenance (tied)

06. Providence

05. Scary Monsters

04. 4-D

03. Release

02. Improbable

01. The Truth

Overall my personal rankings of season 8 and 9 would be pretty different but I can't really muster up enough feelings to care. You?

I will be back later today for the best of the best list!

Alright, people, it is ON! I've gathered the top 5 from each season (top 6 in the case of season 4 because Home and Unruhe were tied for 5th place). There's 46 episodes in total so as not to drag this out too long we'll get rid of hefty chunk at a time the first few rounds. For you who didn't vote for season 8 and 9, well, you can just vote those ones out now in the beginning. I don't doubt a lot of us who voted will do the same... Perhaps I will be proven wrong. ANYWAY. Here they are:

Squeeze

Ice

Eve

Beyond The Sea

Darkness Falls

The Host

One Breath

Irresistible

Die Hand Die Verletzt

Anazasi

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

Syzygy

Pusher

José Chung's 'From Outer Space'

Wetwired

Home

Unruhe

Paper Hearts

Leonard Betts

Memento Mori

Small Potatoes

Redux II

Detour

Chinga

Bad Blood

The End

Dreamland II

How The Ghosts Stole Christmas

Tithonus

Monday

Field Trip

Millennium

The Goldberg Variation

X-Cops

Je Souhaite

Requiem

Per Manum

Deadalive

Vienen

Alone

Existence

4-D

Improbable

Scary Monsters

Release

The Truth

Vote for six episodes in the order you most want them gone!

ETA: I've rearranged and listed the episodes in order instead of what they previously ranked. It looked confusing and, who knows, it might influence the votes.

Edited by joelene

I hope everyone comes back and at least six episodes get 2 or more votes! I'm realising now that there might be a bunch of 1 votes which would prove difficult when it comes to eliminating six. If that happens I think I'll gather those and we can all vote again for the one/s who will be among the eliminated. So I'd advice you check back again before 24 hours to see if there will be a second vote needed. I hope that made sense.

My mind is blown by some of the votes in this round.

Mine are:

The Truth

X-Cops

And then a bunch I've never seen, I guess; I'll pick the ones I've never even heard of:

4-D

Improbable

Scary Monsters

Release

It was the combined effect that caused the mind blowing -- Chinga, Irresistible, Paper Hearts, Leonard Betts, Home, Wetwired, Jose Chung's, DHDV and Monday drawing votes in the first round is something close to unfathomable to me.

• Love 1

Scary Monsters

4-D

Improbable (watching CC's commentary actually makes me want to like this one, but it just comes across so WTF? that I can't)

Die Hand Die Verletzt

Jose Chung's

One more episode, Taryn!

Oh and Bastet, I feel the same about those episodes! I almost gasped. I'll add your vote for X-Cops to that gasp as well.

Edited by joelene

It was the combined effect that caused the mind blowing -- Chinga, Irresistible, Paper Hearts, Leonard Betts, Home, Wetwired, Jose Chung's, DHDV and Monday drawing votes in the first round is something close to unfathomable to me.

Same. Minus Chinga of course.

My mind is blown by some of the votes in this round.

Mine too!  What's going on here?  I've learned from past rounds that AntiBeeSpray and I are on different pages, but EVERY SINGLE ONE of those votes just shocks me to my core.  Okay, maybe not Chinga, but while there's all that shit from seasons 8 and 9 just sitting there begging to be voted off?

And queequeg too with Leonard Betts.  Leonard Betts?!  What?!  

This final game might end up being the most painful of all.  

My votes:

Vienen
Alone
4-D
Improbable
Scary Monsters
Release

Soooooo... so far we've listed 19 of the possible 46 episodes. Basically 41% of them. lol.

Heh, that's pretty great. It's no fun if everyone agree!

Maybe this is AntiBeeSprays way of giving us all the finger?

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

Man, Leonard just grossed me out too much.  I can deal with incestuous mutant, freaky people apparently just fine, but regenerating cancer eating dude... nope nope nope.  Plus, Scully broke my heart.

Okay, maybe not Chinga, but while there's all that shit from seasons 8 and 9 just sitting there begging to be voted off?

Yeah, Chinga drawing votes in the second round wouldn't cause me to bat an eye, but in the first round it does surprise me.  And the others I listed flat-out stun me in the first round.

That reminds me what I was gonna ask: What episodes do you miss from the list that you would've put on your own top 30ish list?

Some glaring omissions for me would be Humbug, War of the Coprophages, Folie a Deux and Milagro, and some others that I miss that might've made it would be Tooms, Our Town, Paper Clip, Quagmire and Elegy.

Edited by joelene
Some glaring omissions for me would be Humbug, War of the Coprophages, Folie a Deux and Milagro, and some others that I miss that might've made it would be Tooms, Our Town, Paper Clip, Quagmire and Elegy.

I'm too lazy to go look at each season right now to see which missing episodes would actually make my top 5 (as opposed to just being episodes I really like, but that would end up ranking 6 or 7 in a season), but I'm pretty confident I'm with you on Humbug and WotC.  It's weird to me that those aren't in.  

That reminds me what I was gonna ask: What episodes do you miss from the list that you would've put on your own top 30ish list?

Looking at the list, the omissions that spring to mind are Humbug, WotC and Kill Switch.

Oh, I'm thinking just top 30ish from across the whole series with this, not lumping top five from each season together. Maybe a 6th and 7th placer in one season is better than a 3rd and onwards from another season. I think only two-three episodes from season 5 and 7 each would make such a list for me, for example.

Okay actually, no, WotC is a close sixth for season 3, but I wouldn't replace any of the ones that are already in the list with that episode.  

I would probably put Never Again in place of Unruhe for season 4, but it's not that surprising to me that it didn't make the list (and Unruhe's a great episode).  

I would definitely take The End off of the season 5 list and replace it with Kill Switch.  

Oh, I'm thinking just top 30ish from across the whole series with this, not lumping top five from each season together. Maybe a 6th and 7th placer in one season is better than a 3rd and onwards from another season.

Oh.  Then yeah, I'd definitely have WotC in there.  My list would probably be a bit heavy on season 3 and light on seasons 6 and 7 (even though I like those seasons a lot).  And seasons 8 and 9 would be absent.

Edited by smrou

Mine too!  What's going on here?  I've learned from past rounds that AntiBeeSpray and I are on different pages, but EVERY SINGLE ONE of those votes just shocks me to my core.  Okay, maybe not Chinga, but while there's all that shit from seasons 8 and 9 just sitting there begging to be voted off?

This final game might end up being the most painful of all.  

My votes:

Vienen

Alone

4-D

Improbable

Scary Monsters

Release

I like some of the 8 and 9 stuff. Voted for Irresistible because of Donnie Pfaster. The guy creeps me out. Same with Home. Don't worry, the season 8 and 9 votes will be coming though.

Off the top of my head, I miss WoTC, Triangle, Little Green Men, any of the Max episodes (Fallen Angel, Tempus Fugit, Max).

ETA:  I really do like Release a lot.  I love the kid that plays Rudolph Hayes/Stuart Mimms.  I'm not sure if it'd be in my top 30, but it's definitely one of my Season 9 favs, as is John Doe, which nobody else seems to like.  lol

Oh, and maybe I'd add in some Lone Gunmen eps too like EBE and/or Three of a Kind

Edited by queequeg

One more episode, Taryn!

Oops, sorry!  I guess I'll add Release, but I really kinda like it.  Doggett pain hurts my feels.

Jose Chung's, DHDV

Sorry, I just can't enjoy these.  Jose Chung's because it's too silly/stupid for me, and DHDV because I spend all my time rolling my eyes and saying "Oh please."   It's borderline absurd to me.

Someone's gotta go first and that someone is Scary Monsters with 6 votes. Three episodes got 5 votes and they are gone in the order of Improbable, 4-D and Release. Vienen is out with 3 votes and out of the three episodes that got 2 votes Chinga was most disliked. The other two were Per Manum and Leonard Betts.

Down to 40!

Squeeze

Ice

Eve

Beyond The Sea

Darkness Falls

The Host

One Breath

Irresistible

Die Hand Die Verletzt

Anazasi

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

Syzygy

Pusher

José Chung's 'From Outer Space'

Wetwired

Home

Unruhe

Paper Hearts

Leonard Betts

Memento Mori

Small Potatoes

Redux II

Detour

Bad Blood

The End

Dreamland II

How The Ghosts Stole Christmas

Tithonus

Monday

Field Trip

Millennium

The Goldberg Variation

X-Cops

Je Souhaite

Requiem

Per Manum

Deadalive

Alone

Existence

The Truth

Vote for five episodes in the order you want them gone.

Edited by joelene