Type keyword(s) to search

X-Files Episode Elimination Game

Season five is when I stopped being excited about the show every week, and there are a lot of episodes I just don't remember. And I have absolutely no clue what happened in that season's mytharc episodes other than Redux and CC/Emily. So I'm afraid my voting is skewed -- I'm voting off episodes I remember disliking, when the ones I can't even bring to mind should probably go first.

I'm the same with a lot going forward, and I doubt we're alone! Surprisingly I do remember the mytharc pretty well through season 5 (it helps I love Veronica Cartwright for that season 5 two-parter) but that pretty much ends with, well, The End.

Season 4:

Zero Sum

Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man

Herrenvolk (this one though I don't remember at all except that healer guy is in it. Is it the one where the bees turn up?)

Demons

Season 5:

The Pine Bluff Variant

Redux

The Usual Suspects

Edited by joelene

Season 4:

Zero Sum

Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man

Kaddish

Sanguinarium

Season 5:

Christmas Carol

Mind's Eye
Emily

I thought we had already eliminated Unrequited. Did I miss something?

Edited by mauve

Season 4:

Synchrony - still not ringing a bell, LOL. 
Sanguinarium
Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man - had so much potential but just was a flop.  Plus it makes me angry that CC & Co expected us to not take any of it as actual truth of CSM's life.  Do they not know how much we obsess over finding stuff out???
Kaddish - I actually think this one is sweet, but I don't like it as much as many of the others.

Season 5:

Kitsenugari
Redux - It pales in comparison to Redux II.
Mind's Eye - I don't mind this one, but there's a lot of S5 episodes that I LOVE so there has to be casualties.

Synchrony - still not ringing a bell, LOL.

He kills people by freezing them to death! Or something! I don't remember why. I only vaguely remember the episode because I rewatched it a couple of years ago because, well, I couldn't remember it. Heh.

Mind's Eye - I don't mind this one, but there's a lot of S5 episodes that I LOVE so there has to be casualties.

I really like this one. I rewatch it a lot compared to many other season 5-ers. Love Lili Taylor. Edited by joelene
  • Love 1

Season 4's losers were pretty unanimous. Zero Sum, Musings and Sanguinarium each got six votes and Kaddish four. Synchrony made it with three votes.

Season 5 was trickier. Redux went with four votes. Four episodes got three votes each. Mind's Eye and All Souls just barely made it through that battle making Christmas Carol and The Pine Bluff Variant the losers. Chinga and Emily got two votes.

Season 4:

Herrenvolk

Home

Unruhe

Tunguska

Terma

Paper Hearts

Leonard Betts

Never Again

Memento Mori

Tempus Fugit

Max

Synchrony

Small Potatoes

Elegy

Demons

Gethsemane

Season 5:

Redux II

Unusual Suspects

Detour

Emily

Kitsenugari

Chinga

Kill Switch

Bad Blood

Patient X

The Red and the Black

Mind's Eye

All Souls

Folie a Deux

The End

Three votes for each season this round! In order you want the suckers gone.

Edited by joelene
I always liked the Pine Bluff Variant. Surprised it went out so early.

I'm surprised too.  I really like that episode.  

Season 4:

Synchrony

Herrenvolk

Gethsemane

Season 5:

Emily

All Souls

Patient X

Say bye-bye to Synchrony (6 votes), Herrenvolk (4) and Tempus Fugit (4)! Max and Gethsemane were just behind with 3 votes.

All Souls (*sniff*) got crushed with 8 votes with Emily and Mind's Eye gone by 4 votes each. The Usual Suspects, Chinga, Kill Switch and Patient X got 2 votes.

Season 4:
Home
Unruhe
Tunguska
Terma
Paper Hearts
Leonard Betts
Never Again
Memento Mori
Max
Small Potatoes
Elegy
Demons
Gethsemane

Season 5:
Redux II
Unusual Suspects
Detour
Kitsenugari
Chinga
Kill Switch
Bad Blood
Patient X
The Red and the Black
Folie a Deux
The End

Three season 4 votes and two season 5 votes in the order you want to see the door hit 'em.

Season 4:

Leonard Betts

Elegy

Gethsemane

Season 5:

Kill Switch

Kitsunegari

I can't believe Tempus Fugit go the boot so early!  It and Max are among my favs from Season 4!  I seem to love me a Max episode... loved Fallen Angel too.

Edited by queequeg
Kill Switch is going to be my Humbug of this season's rankings.

Yes, me too.  I can't believe it's going to go out so early.  It's a great episode!

AntiBeeSpray - you're killing me voting for Leonard Betts and Paper Hearts. Eek.

Yeah, seeing those Leonard Betts votes (since the very first round!) has been a little painful.

Gethsemane lost with 6 votes, followed by Tunguska with 5 and Max with 4. Terma also got 4 votes but got less ranking points. Leonard Betts, Paper Hearts and Demons followed with 2 votes each.

Sorry Kill Switch lovers, it got blown up by 5 votes. It was closer between the Pusher follow-up Kitsenugari who lost with 3 votes and the runner-ups Redux II, Chinga, Patient X and The Red and the Black who all got 2 votes.

Season 4:
Home
Unruhe
Terma
Paper Hearts
Leonard Betts
Never Again
Memento Mori
Small Potatoes
Elegy
Demons

Season 5:
Redux II
Unusual Suspects
Detour
Chinga
Bad Blood
Patient X
The Red and the Black
Folie a Deux
The End

Three season 4, two season 5 in order of your least favourite.

Edited by joelene

Season five is still easy (a full six episodes I'd pick off before getting to Kill Switch, so I'm going to need a moment), but now season four is hard; after Terma, I have to start eliminating episodes I like.

S4:

Terma

Demons

Home

S5:

Patient X

The Red and the Black

Season five is still easy (a full six episodes I'd pick off before getting to Kill Switch, so I'm going to need a moment)

That's me with Mind's Eye and All Souls. Could be in my top 5 the pair of them. Season 4 really is more difficult now...

Season 4:

Demons

Terma

eeeeeh... Wow. I'm looking at the list and this is super hard.

Memento Mori.

Season 5:

The Unusual Suspects

Redux II

I like how Chinga was on the verge of getting the boot in, like, the second round, but here it still is, going strong, not coming close in recent rounds. What a difference a day (or three) makes!

Edited by joelene
  • Love 1
Season five is still easy (a full six episodes I'd pick off before getting to Kill Switch, so I'm going to need a moment)

Me too!  (I wonder if they're the same six.  Mine are...well, everything except Redux 2, Detour, and Bad Blood).  Actually, I'm starting to think season 5 is a really weak season.  Because I really like Kill Switch but I don't think it's amazing, and yet there aren't many episodes I'd put above it (I looked back at the season 5 thread and I ranked it in my top 5...along with PBV, which is already long gone, so this season isn't going that well for me).  There aren't many episodes I really dislike, but most of the season is just forgettable or dull to me.

Season 4: 

Terma

Demons

Unruhe

Season 5:

Patient X

The Red and the Black

Terma

Elegy

Demons

Chinga (Can you tell I dislike this episode?)

Patient X

Season 5 really is a weak season looking back on it. There's only 3 episodes still on the list that I would go back and watch outside of a rewatch.  Plus Pine Bluff which is long gone. Other than that, meh. (So basically, what smrou said. I should probably read the posts before I post.)

Edited by janestclair

Me too!  (I wonder if they're the same six.  Mine are...well, everything except Redux 2, Detour, and Bad Blood).  Actually, I'm starting to think season 5 is a really weak season.  ... There aren't many episodes I really dislike, but most of the season is just forgettable or dull to me.

Yep, same here.  There are two or three I dislike, a bunch I don't care about or can't even remember, and then a few I like and a couple I love.  Playing this game makes it clear why this is the season XF went from an obsession to just a show I liked.

(And here are the six that would have to be gone before I'd vote for Kill Switch: Patient X, The Red and the Black, Unusual Suspects, The End, Folie a Deux and ChingaChinga I like, but not as much as Kill Switch.) 

Edited by Bastet

Yeah, season 5 really is low on the Love-list. Mind's Eye and All Souls I really like but it's pretty far from love and they'd probably rank 4 and 5 for me. The top three I pretty much love though, but even they (save one) would rank low on a Full Series Love list.

Ya know, I always thought Season 5 was great... but I've struggled a lot more with Season 4 and cutting eps I like than 5.  I think I always attribute greatness to Season 5 b/c of the good episodes are just SOOOOO good (Bad Blood, Detour, Redux II)

Well clearly I need to rewatch Redux II as well. I remember liking it, just not the greatness. Well, apart from when Blevins runs into that office all panicked, for some reasons his face cracks me up so hard.

Just rewatched TPBV. Nope, it just doesn't do it for me. I don't dislike it but it doesn't really hold my interest. I kept wanting to check my phone. I think I need more sinister, creepy or humorous villains. Perhaps it's the viruses and conspiracies.... I get enough of that in the mytharc eps.

Speaking of, I could do with rewatching En Ami and all things before voting starts for that season. Haven't watched those for a good 10 years and remember nothing at all about them.

Edited by joelene

Ya know, I always thought Season 5 was great... but I've struggled a lot more with Season 4 and cutting eps I like than 5. I think I always attribute greatness to Season 5 b/c of the good episodes are just SOOOOO good (Bad Blood, Detour, Redux II)

Yep. I think that's it exactly. When I think of season 5 I think of Bad Blood which is pretty far up there on my list of top favorites of the series. then I just forget that most of the season was pretty average.

Edited by janestclair

Well clearly I need to rewatch Redux II as well. I remember liking it, just not the greatness. Well, apart from when Blevins runs into that office all panicked, for some reasons his face cracks me up so hard.

I just love all the Mulder Scully schmoopiness of Redux II, except for the arm gnawing.  That was just awful to watch and caused a severe case of second-hand awkwardness. 

Edited by queequeg
  • Love 2
Speaking of, I could do with rewatching En Ami and all things before voting starts for that season. Haven't watched those for a good 10 years and remember nothing at all about them.

What I remember about all things is mostly the Apple Green Sweater of Love.  

Okay, I actually remember more than that but although I find the themes interesting I think it leaves a lot to be desire plot-wise.

Heh, yeah what I "remember" is mostly an absence of plot. I know the general outline of both, so whenever I think of a rewatch I'm afraid they'll make me fall asleep drooling over myself.

I'm looking at what's left of season 5 and my fourth place would go to... Chinga? Really? I love the parts with Scully on the phone but I really just wanna smack that kid whenever she's on screen. I think it's the rare ep that simultaneously makes you giddy and is like nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 2