Type keyword(s) to search

X-Files Episode Elimination Game

See, I'm a sucker for E.B.E, even though it's not my fav episode, b/c of the introduction of the Lone Gunmen.

This could be an UO but I don't really care that much about the Lone Gunmen either way. I mean, I like them fine, but they never enhanced an episode for me (I think, from what I remember, maybe they're just not in that many episodes that are on my rewatch rotation roster) But, you know, I don't mind them either, but I never ever missed them. They're just sort of there for me.

Edited by joelene

I'm bummed about the impending doom of Lazarus.  Shadows would have received my vote earlier than last round if not for the perfectly-delivered "Howard Graves is very dead."

Fire

EBE

• Love 1

Wow, all these votes for Fire. I thought Cecil L'Ively was one of the creepiest and most memorable one-off villains to appear on the show; not as memorable and creepy as good ol' Eugene Tooms, but I always expected him to return some day. Mulder's primal fear of fire should have been put to the test again. 

Oh, wait. I know. It's Phoebe Green, isn't it? Phoebe, who was like a Diana Fowley precursor...? (I still prefer Phoebe over Diana, if it ever comes to that.) 

I'll be sad to see Fire flame out. 

Me too.  Cecil L'Ively was and exceptionally creepy character.  And I didn't mind Pheobe Green, if only because snarky Scully came out to play, and that's always fun.

"I was merely extending her a professional courtesy."

"Oh, is that what you were extending?" 

Love it. 

And 13 year old me appreciated Mulder in black silk boxers back in the day.  Not gonna lie.

"Care to take me to lunch?" 

Heheheh. Snarky Scully was fun to see on the rare instances she came out to play. The look on Mulder's face when Scully affected that British accent in her best Phoebe imitation... that was priceless. 

And I hadn't even known at the time I was watching that episode that Gillian Anderson spent a great deal of her formative years living England, so that accent was a cinch for her. 

I didn't mind Phoebe at all. Perhaps I'm mistaken in my belief that other X-Philes weren't so enamored of her? 

But once this round is over, it's going to be darned difficult to start whittling down my least favourite of the list, because what's left is full of ah-ma-zing, classic, solid gold X-Files greatness. I mean, how do you pick a least favourite out of those remaining episodes? How, I ask you?! 

• Love 1
But once this round is over, it's going to be darned difficult to start whittling down my least favourite of the list, because what's left is full of ah-ma-zing, classic, solid gold X-Files greatness. I mean, how do you pick a least favourite out of those remaining episodes? How, I ask you?!

Ha---yes, did I forget to mention that this game is pure torture?! In a fun way, of course :)

Fallen Angel and Lazarus are our latest victims, and the next round is open! 

Pilot
Deep Throat
Squeeze
Ice
Eve
Fire
Beyond the Sea
E.B.E.
Darkness Falls
Tooms
The Erlenmeyer Flask

E.B.E. and Erlenmeyer Flask, mostly because neither one is a memorable mytharc ep for me.

TheRealTC, I hated Phoebe because not only did she play Mulder, but because she just showed up out of the blue to get him involved in something that she knew was a phobic fear of his.  It's like she went out of her way to be cruel to him for some reason.  Early!Mulder may have been arrogant and self-centered, but I didn't think he deserved that.

I don't really dislike or like Fire.  It's just an episode that is there for me.  Could be better, could be worse?  And my not rating it higher has nothing to do with Phoebe.  I can't say I really "like" her, but she doesn't negatively impact the episode for me.   In fact, her being there creates some great Scully moments, as well as some great interactions between Mulder and Scully.  And I don't think Scully is jealous in the least.  Annoyed, yes.  Jealous?  Nah.  Too early for that.

I can't believe Fallen Angel went down so soon!  I really like Max; I find him endearing.  :)  Not quite as much as I love the Lone Gunmen, but the few episodes he was in all rank very high for me.  For some reason I found his story compelling.   I think because there is some commonality between he and Mulder.   It's like Mulder could have been him, the weird, geeky, loner, if Mulder didn't have so many other things working in his favor (looks, smarts).  Not that Mulder isn't a little weird, spooky, geeky and a bit of a loner... but I'm sure you know what I mean.  As far as the Lone Gunmen, they're just great comedic relief!  E.B.E. is not their best ep, but I'm always so excited to see their first appearance.  

All that being said, my next two votes are:

Fire

E.B.E.

I'm gonna be a maverick and call one that hasn't been called yet:

Ice (even in Season 1, the "blame the government for everything and you Feds are part of the cover-up" theme was frustrating.)

Deep Throat

Stealing mstakens thunder here, but we've already missed a day! Keeping the ball rolling.

We lost Fire and E.B.E.. I'm surprised it was so close between the former and Erlenmeyer Flask. Exciting!

The remaining suspects are:

Pilot
Deep Throat
Squeeze
Ice
Eve
Beyond the Sea
Darkness Falls
Tooms
The Erlenmeyer Flask

Jolene, thank you so much for taking over!!! Please feel free to keep on running this, as I'm ridiculously scattered lately. 

My pleasure! I'm happy to keep it going, and if I'm late with it then anyone who wanna continue, feel free to do so :)

Deep Throat was killed off and The Erlenmeyer Flask killed Deep Throat. Only seven left!

Pilot

Squeeze

Ice

Eve

Beyond the Sea

Darkness Falls

Tooms

Still vote for the two that are your least favourite. 

(I'm thinking this for two more rounds, then simply voting for your favourite of last three. Sound good?)

Edited by joelene
  • Love 2

Pilot

Ngugh, this is HARD. The following six are just such damn fine pieces of television. Not that the previous weren't, but, yeah.

Okay.

Tooms.

Edited by joelene

Well, crap. My favourite of favourites Darkness Falls got snuffed out along with all those glorious Eve wackadoos.

Final round!!!

Squeeze
Ice
Beyond the Sea

Cast your one vote for that most special season 1 x-file.

Imma go wiiiith... 

........ Squeeze.

I'll have a full season ranking put together when season 2 voting starts tomorrow too!

Edited by joelene