Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Hard Money

Trini
  • Start Topic

McCall's vigilante work further complicates her personal life when she is forced to ask her ex-husband, Dr. Miles Fulton (Stephen Bishop), to help with a gunshot victim, one of two women being hunted by thieves after they witnessed a robbery.

Airdate: April 17, 2022

GUEST CAST:
Stephen Bishop (Dr. Miles Fulton)
Catherine Combs (Jenna)
Bianca Horn (Shareen)
RJ Vaillancourt (Lyle)
Evan Hall (Nick Gleeson)
Art McFarland (Bernie)
Reece Santos (Brody Mavers)
Julian Joseph (Gordon Racine)
Jake Soister (Rudy Collins)
William Martinez (Agent Costa)
Aaron David Kapner (Manager)
Charles Everett (Trey Wallis)
Aidan Ming Travis (Young Boy)
Lauren McCann (Karen)
118499_0301b.jpg
118499_0157b.jpg
118499_0783b.jpg
118499_2030b.jpg
stream_1920x1080x0_v2_3_0.jpg

• Useful 1

I liked this episode, simple and straight forward. I managed to guess who the inside man was at Dollar One. I am guessing Dollar One will need two new bosses since Lyle and Bernie are out. The ladies never gave the keys back and nobody seemed to notice that they were missing. The store seemed pretty empty, I am not sure why Lyle was such a stickler about enforcing the rules, must be his personality.

I am guessing that Robyn's husband is going to be a thorn in her side from now on. It would be a good story line to let Delilah stay with Robyn's husband and then something happens to him and Delilah has to call Robyn to come and rescue him. 

How is Dante earning a living, maybe he should have kept that money for himself, growing boys can eat a lot. I guess there will be other rewards for him to collect.

• Love 4

Not locking your cell phone. Is that normal or is it just something TV victims do?

Your son is in Michigan, so you stay in NYC because of your career at the Dollar One and the cost of living in Michigan is too high?

That $10,000 should go a long way.

Thank goodness the ex has a home OR.

An arm twist does not an ass kicking make. Robyn didn't disarm a single man, let alone a room full of them. She's gotta stop taking on these run-of-the-mill cases.

• Love 3

Did we always know Robyn's ex was a doctor? Or did the writers need him to be for the sake of this episode?  The scene in the opening when Delilah says he runs off at all hours of the night because he's a doctor was pretty clunky (and obvious foreshadowing for Robyn needing him later).

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

The store seemed pretty empty, I am not sure why Lyle was such a stickler about enforcing the rules, must be his personality.

Yep - one of those guys who turn into all out tyrants when given the tiniest bit of power/authority.  I couldn't help but notice all the other sales associates shown were women, which makes it even worse. Robyn giving him his comeuppance at the end was very satisfying. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, mojito said:

Not locking your cell phone. Is that normal or is it just something TV victims do?

Your son is in Michigan, so you stay in NYC because of your career at the Dollar One and the cost of living in Michigan is too high?

Not locking a phone is normal for me you have to go through the unlock cycle every time you pick up a phone which negates other stuff to save steps like speed dialing.

The entire show was throwing bombs at those industries with low wage hourly workers, unable to live in their areas assuming they get 40 hours of work on their wage. From where we get stories like Amazon warehouse workers sneaking off with a bottle because the computer program didn't allow time to get to the restroom for an example.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, mojito said:

An arm twist does not an ass kicking make. Robyn didn't disarm a single man, let alone a room full of them. She's gotta stop taking on these run-of-the-mill cases.

Robyn disarmed Beverage Boy to the cheers of the little kid watching it go down. I noticed that Robyn didn't try to chase him down after he started running.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Silver-hyren said:

Did we always know Robyn's ex was a doctor? Or did the writers need him to be for the sake of this episode?

Honestly can't recall if his occupation was ever mentioned before. But the show hardly mentioned him before anyway, so maybe not?

Loved Robyn and Dante's cozy winter outfits. Speaking of them - they got their flirty vibe back! So we saw how they can work together even if Dante isn't with the police; but I still think he should go back to some type of law enforcement job.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Robyn disarmed Beverage Boy to the cheers of the little kid watching it go down. I noticed that Robyn didn't try to chase him down after he started running.

We have to admit that chasing is out of Robyn's skillset. maybe if she had her motorcycle.

I felt like this episode was about the working poor, and I'm sure it hit home for a lot of people. Anyone who is struggling to keep a roof over their heads, and their family fed is someone who won't ask twice about making something extra. (I knew the inside guy was the older man as soon as he walked onto the scene). 

Also: that is OUR discount store! That is, it's not called "Dollar Store" in real life, but it's the one we go to on Broadway in Astoria, Queens. The building's facade is beautiful and the sign doesn't cover it up. 

And Robyn's ex certainly is bitter, isn't he? It almost comes across that he's madder at her than he is concerned about Delilah. I also think Robyn could share some of the non-confidential details about her jobs with Aunt Vi and Dee. It'll give them more of a feel about why she does what she does.

I think we knew he was a doctor...it wasn't shoehorned into the plot.

discountstore.jpeg

• Love 7

Agree that Robyn's husband is going to be popping up and it would be interesting if he made custody an issue.

I did like the case and I figured it was kinder older guy right away as jerk wad manager was too obvious.

Dante either has a nice nest egg or he needs to go back to work some place.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

Also: that is OUR discount store! That is, it's not called "Dollar Store" in real life, but it's the one we go to on Broadway in Astoria, Queens. The building's facade is beautiful and the sign doesn't cover it up. 

The Dollar Store was called Dollar One, Robyn had 4 items so her bill should have been $4 something, not the 15 dollars they charged her. Talk about bait and switch.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • LOL 1
38 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The Dollar Store was called Dollar One, Robyn had 4 items so her bill should have been $4 something, not the 15 dollars they charged her. Talk about bait and switch.

The balloons are never a dollar... The storage area is bigger than the store...no wonder the prices are high...

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Inflation has taken that away, been in a 99 cents store lately.

• Love 1

I know Dante turned in the badge, but I also fanwanked he might be officially on some sort of disability leave and therefore receiving pay.  But hey, very few people on TV are truly living paycheck to paycheck no matter the occupation, unless it's social commentary.      

I thought Robyn was awfully harsh with the assistant manager, acting like his actions solely led to Jenna being in danger.  The only reason the women were at the store at the wrong time was because they intended to rob the place as well and changed their minds at the very last minute.  Not like they were minding their business, and stumbled upon a robbery in progress.  Not sure was why he would have been less sympathetic than anyone else.  

As for the ex-hubby, not sure why I thought he was former military as well.  I like Robyn....but he was not at all wrong for being salty that she just showed up at his house with a stranger for him to provide medical aid, left said stranger at his home, and refused to divulge much of anything about the situation.

The family conversation was a long time coming.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I know Dante turned in the badge, but I also fanwanked he might be officially on some sort of disability leave and therefore receiving pay. 

If he's got 20 years, he can retire on full pension. And disability is based on your highest salary.

34 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Is there no lawsuit after Dante's experience? 

I would imagine that any county would want to settle quickly. I wonder if the recruiter Secret Service Agent was serious. A Fed, versus a local detective who has to hide any aid given versus a P.I. which helps McCall the most? 

• Love 3

I am SO disappointed in Robyn's ex, Miles.  Of all the actors out there, THAT elf-eared, squinty, big head and basic rando was the best they could do?   Oh, and he just NOW gets all worried about Delilah and her safety?   Robyn was freakin' CIA most of her daughter's life!  And as a surgeon in NY, he doesn't think some banger could come after him & his family if he let a homie die during a turf war?  Oh, Bitch, please!

But he does have another family, so maybe when they're away, his Delila-dad concerns become activated and he decides to parent.  Asshat needs a hobby.  

That episode annoyed me.  I need some baby panda videos to reset my attitude...

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 2

I think he said he didn't know she was in the CIA. It sounded to me like they divorced when he found out? He was very angry about her having lied to him [during their marriage] and then she said [she had to because ] it was her job.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I think he said he didn't know she was in the CIA. It sounded to me like they divorced when he found out? He was very angry about her having lied to him [during their marriage] and then she said [she had to because ] it was her job.

He knew who she worked for, as she said she was with him in Africa, protecting his Doctors Without Borders team.  He probably just didn't know ALL of her assignments, because they don't allow that in the CIA.   Surgeons are notorious for their God Complexes and feeling that they always need to know everything about everything.  

And doctors aren't allowed to divulge all the details of their patient's illness/injuries/conditions to their spouses.  Patient confidentiality, right? 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Love 3

Would the CIA be protecting Doctors Without Borders? I assumed DWB hired her to provide security, which is a great cover story for why she was there (don't CIA operatives have to have cover stories and other jobs? you can't just show up with no explanation so you can spy in the open), and that she also worked for the CIA and didn't tell him. Why would he suddenly divorce her for being in the CIA if he knew all along that she was in? Why would he be angry that she lied about her work if he married her knowing she was in the CIA? Surely even the most egomaniacal surgeon does not think that people in the CIA have no secrets?

• Love 4

Enjoyable episode.  I thought there would be more fallout from Bishop dying, or more talking about it.  I guess the show wanted to move on quickly by throwing Robyn into a new case.  I've been wondering along about how Robyn prioritizes her cases.  Surely she isn't just sitting around waiting for calls.  She advertised on the dark web, surely her inbox has 100 messages at all times.

19 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I thought Robyn was awfully harsh with the assistant manager, acting like his actions solely led to Jenna being in danger.  The only reason the women were at the store at the wrong time was because they intended to rob the place as well and changed their minds at the very last minute.  Not like they were minding their business, and stumbled upon a robbery in progress.  Not sure was why he would have been less sympathetic than anyone else.  

As for the ex-hubby, not sure why I thought he was former military as well.  I like Robyn....but he was not at all wrong for being salty that she just showed up at his house with a stranger for him to provide medical aid, left said stranger at his home, and refused to divulge much of anything about the situation.

The family conversation was a long time coming.

I don't necessarily disagree.  But they were working for poor wages that barely covered the cost of living.  I agree that they put themselves there at the murder on their own, but they still didn't deserve to be killed for it.

Lyle was a prick.  He's every low-level supervisor that's just a few years older than his "underlings" and goes on a power trip and complains about everything.  "I see a dust bunny on the floor, if I see one again I'm docking your pay.  We need to keep the place clean."  That guy. 

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

31 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Would the CIA be protecting Doctors Without Borders? I assumed DWB hired her to provide security, which is a great cover story for why she was there (don't CIA operatives have to have cover stories and other jobs? you can't just show up with no explanation so you can spy in the open), and that she also worked for the CIA and didn't tell him. Why would he suddenly divorce her for being in the CIA if he knew all along that she was in? Why would he be angry that she lied about her work if he married her knowing she was in the CIA? Surely even the most egomaniacal surgeon does not think that people in the CIA have no secrets?

He obviously knows now that she is CIA but I don't think he knew at the time and "the secret" ended their marriage.  However, what did he think she was doing?  She was in Somalia and he seems to have known that she was in some kind of military or paramilitary unit that protected his DWB group.  She reminisced about how they would be running with bullets flying over their heads and they both thought it was exciting.

Not sure why he would have been so mad.  It's not like he thought he was marrying a kindergarten teacher and then found out she was a spy.  He married her knowing she was in some kind of dangerous military job.  When the reveal in the past happened that she was CIA, he should have been all "of course you are, I'm not stupid".  He's a surgeon and has to have some degree of intelligence and critical thinking, I would think he should have known.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Among the few pre show images we had of Robyn was as an Army Sergeant in Afghanistan where Mel was said to be part of a women's contact team as a sniper. Just going by Clancy there are both open and deep cover CIA officers out in the field. Along with the CIA bringing in "mercenaries" like the Consulate guards in Libya  they made that 13 Hours movie about

• Useful 1
16 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

I am SO disappointed in Robyn's ex, Miles.  Of all the actors out there, THAT elf-eared, squinty, big head and basic rando was the best they could do?   Oh, and he just NOW gets all worried about Delilah and her safety?   Robyn was freakin' CIA most of her daughter's life!  And as a surgeon in NY, he doesn't think some banger could come after him & his family if he let a homie die during a turf war?  Oh, Bitch, please!

High fives! This post made my day.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

I don't necessarily disagree.  But they were working for poor wages that barely covered the cost of living.  I agree that they put themselves there at the murder on their own, but they still didn't deserve to be killed for it.

I agree.  My point was that the assistant manager's involvement in the counterfeiting scheme was borne out of desperation just like the cashiers' plan to rob their place of employment.  It felt like the show's POV (via Robyn) was less sympathetic to his circumstances because he was the inside man at the store.  Plus, Jenna came off kind of dumb in general, and I tend to dislike Too Stupid To Live characters.      

On 4/18/2022 at 10:14 AM, Trini said:

Honestly can't recall if his occupation was ever mentioned before. But the show hardly mentioned him before anyway, so maybe not?

Loved Robyn and Dante's cozy winter outfits. Speaking of them - they got their flirty vibe back! So we saw how they can work together even if Dante isn't with the police; but I still think he should go back to some type of law enforcement job.

Thought that Robin's hat looked dumb personally.  Looked like a throwback to the 1960's Carnaby Street.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 3
On 4/18/2022 at 11:19 AM, kwnyc said:

I also think Robyn could share some of the non-confidential details about her jobs with Aunt Vi and Dee.

Robyn wouldn’t have to worry about Vi, but as much as Dee might promise, she would inadvertently let something slip. After all, she is a teenager. Even the briefest “broad strokes” could be linked with current buzz (internet, social media, news feeds). 

• Love 2
On 4/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, blackwing said:

He's a surgeon and has to have some degree of intelligence and critical thinking, I would think he should have known.

I think you give surgeons too much credit. Most are too arrogant and stupid to realize they’re useless in an “outside of OR” emergency situation-they’re just not trained for it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, cameron said:

Thought that Robin's hat looked dumb personally.

I agree with this during the final scene-it looked like someone just perched it at a jaunty angle on top of some big hair. But when she had it on her head properly, in earlier scenes, I thought it looked fine (sort of Brando-esque). 

• Love 4

My point was that the assistant manager's involvement in the counterfeiting scheme was borne out of desperation just like the cashiers' plan to rob their place of employment.  It felt like the show's POV (via Robyn) was less sympathetic to his circumstances because he was the inside man at the store. 

I don't think Robyn was unsympathetic to his overall situation - what she was unsympathetic to was the fact that he handed Jenna over to the robbers.  

• Love 4

Robyn's ex is a jerk. Ah, you knew she was in the CIA when you met her. If you didn't like it or thought it was too dangerous. Then why did you marry her? 

I was hoping it was the jerk manager. Too many of those in retail. 

Way behind and catching up. Just saw this episode last night and really enjoyed it. Loved the actresses playing Jenna and Shareen. When we found out that I.T. guy was in on the counterfeiting I was like "Et tu, Nerdy I.T. guy?"

• Love 1