Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Shut Up, Dr. Phil

• Start Topic

But they're witches...eeewww! Hee!

I didn't watch Buffy either, but couldn't seem to avoid the hype and some discussions about it in it's infancy, so I knew who they were. I don't hate the entire episode, just the witch parts. HA!

• Love 1

I will forever be bothered by James Marsters speaking with his native American accent.  I really don't remember much about this episode at all. Did it move the plot forward? Were there big emotional moments? I just can't remember.

• Love 1

Yes and no. It moved the Leviathan plot forward in that they caught Chet who was tortured by Bobby in the next episode so they could figure a way to kill them--well, actually one of the witches caught Chet, whatever. And the brother's plot was moved along in the sense that Sam kept asking Dean to tell him what was bothering him (concerning Amy), but in true Dean fashion he blew Sam off. There's actually some nice bookend scenes with Sam trying to get Dean to open up.  However, the witches weren't killed because the chicken feet needed to be chilled (I guess) so, in the end the case of the week was moot. Yeah, the witches weren't fighting anymore so probably not on killing sprees anymore, but they're still out there and could start up again.

The episode isn't unwatchable to me, but neither do I pine to watch it either. But those cupcakes with the beating hearts were entirely gross and delightful at the same time, so...;)

• Love 1
@DittyDotDot - The episode isn't unwatchable to me, but neither do I pine to watch it either.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, too DDD. You summed up well the things that I do like about this episode.

But I also agree with @catrox14. It's distracting to have James Marsters talking in his native American accent.

However, the witches weren't killed because the chicken feet needed to be chilled (I guess)

The chicken feet were not only unchilled, they'd gone bad - much to Dean's dismay as he was trying to eat when Sam brought them in. I think it was the fact that they'd "gone bad" that they were no longer useable. The witches, having been around the block a few times and figuring out that Sam and Dean were hunters, made sure to mess up the power in the grocery store in the area that carried chicken feet so that they would be unusable.

I'm not sure why chicken feet are often associated with witches on TV shows, but on Buffy, Anya would try to figure out how to promote chicken feet (the dried variety) for various promotions at the magic/occult shop - such as stocking stuffers for the holidays. (I still remember Willow imitating "delighted" children receiving their pair of chicken feet for Christmas).

Wow, stunt casting at it's worst. It probably doesn't help that its written by the Horrible Duo, but I can't believe how flat and uninteresting James Marsters is in this episode. I do enjoy the brother banter throughout this episode and the whacky deaths, but almost every scene with the witches grinds the episode to a screeching halt. But hey, they got Chet in the end, so whatever, right?

Edited by DittyDotDot

I DID actually watch this after Cas was killed back in 2011/12 (?).  But I didn't like it then either.  I didn't think that JM's character had a motivation to save their lives at the end, and I didn't think that CC's character had any motivation to kill them.  It was just a way to catch Chet.

Wow did I HATE this episode the first time. Subject matter was too sensitive for me, and I don't even think I paid attention to it. I put this episode so far in the crap column that I didn't even remember that James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter were in it! Lol, and I'm a HUGE Buffy fan. Wow

I didn't hate it this time around, but it's certainly not one I'd pick to rewatch. JMs voice is distracting, lol. I did like some of the brother stuff, and Sam worrying about Dean/trying to get him to talk, and Dean drinking his feelings into denial land.

It is nice re watching season 7 for the first time- I'm realizing I don't remember much of anything about this season except for a general grrr feeling, lol.

It is annoying that they just let the witches live and left... What was the whole point, then, of this episode?? The hearts in the cupcakes was really icky, too!

It is annoying that they just let the witches live and left... What was the whole point, then, of this episode?? The hearts in the cupcakes was really icky, too!

For me one of the best things to come from the episode was that the witch paralyzed Chet for them, because Chet in the next episode... is so awesome for me. He amused me to no end. I envy you getting to see that episode again for the first time in a while.

It is annoying that they just let the witches live and left... What was the whole point, then, of this episode??

I know right? I realize there really wasn't anything they could do with them...not really, but what about a line or two pointing out how they were pillars of the community when they weren't fighting each other. Something, anything, to explain why they were not really a threat anymore. This is something that irks me about The Curious Case of Dean Winchester, too.

I guess maybe they decide that Chet is more important than trying to gank the witches?  I dunno.  What stands out most about this episode is that Charisma Carpenter is a terrible actress.  I love Buffy and Angel, and Cordelia had her moments, but the scene where she's supposed to be mad about her art gallery event falling apart is just laughable.  At least she's pretty.  I don't hate the episode, but it's certainly forgettable, and the stunt casting falls so very flat.

So yeah, I was excited to see the mini-Buffy reunion of Spike and Cordelia, but I agree that the episode was bit flat otherwise.  The story line was interesting in idea, but pretty bad in actual execution.  I suppose they needed something/someway to capture a Leviathan and this gave them the ability.  Still, after what Dean just did to Amy, how could he let two witches, who went on a killing spree, live? Especially since its apparently not that difficult to kill them, they just needed fresh chilled chicken feet.  Surely they could figure out a way to get some.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Especially since its apparently not that difficult to kill them, they just needed fresh chilled chicken feet.  Surely they could figure out a way to get some.

Not to defend the episode - it and the previous one are the only two I generally skip in season 7* - but I thought that the whole tone of the episode showed that Sam and Dean were pretty much over their heads with this one. From Don's cavalier attitude in that last scene, I got the impression that he was humoring them - probably because Sam and Dean had been helpful in reconciling him and his wife - and that if they hadn't sabotaged the chicken's feet (an easy fix), they would've found another way to stop them that might've been more nasty, and the wife was actually planning to do that with the hex bags. If not for Don, for example, Sam and Dean likely would've been dead, either because of Chet, or because of the hex bag in their hotel that would've killed them if they somehow managed to survive Chet.

* Well, I watch that last scene to see Chet, because I love Chet, and Don is at least interesting in that last scene.

3 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I suppose they needed something/someway to capture a Leviathan and this gave them the ability.

Hee. Speaking of that, I hope you enjoy the next episode. It's one of my all time favorites, easily top 20.... probably top 10.

• Love 2
On 4/1/2015 at 3:50 PM, sarthaz said:

I guess maybe they decide that Chet is more important than trying to gank the witches?  I dunno.  What stands out most about this episode is that Charisma Carpenter is a terrible actress.  I love Buffy and Angel, and Cordelia had her moments, but the scene where she's supposed to be mad about her art gallery event falling apart is just laughable.  At least she's pretty.  I don't hate the episode, but it's certainly forgettable, and the stunt casting falls so very flat.

Repeating myself.  I just watched this scene and came here to post how terrible it is, and turns out I already did that 2 years ago.  Ugh ... still sucks.

Who's idea was it to give us inside the hairdryer shots? It's just...weird. And doesn't add anything to the scene. I recognize the scene from where Sam comes back from his run from the outtake and keep picturing that instead of the real scene. I was wondering where "I observe with my eyes" came from. Dean saying "Pretty good with the ladies there, Mr. Stark" just makes me wonder how I haven't heard that sound bite in a Supernatural/Avengers crossover video. Dang it is raining hard in that scene where Cordelia comes home. Poor Jared is just soaking wet. Okay, the beating heart in the cupcake is just weird and gross. 

Is there a running gag of Sam ruining Dean's pie experience this season? First, he brings him cake, then he sets chicken feet down while he's eating. I think I liked the "they're both witches" twist a lot the first time I saw this one, especially since I expect Buffy alumni to play vampires after Amber Benson and Mercedes McNab.  Basketball themed hotel room?! I guess they couldn't really kill them after Don saved them from the leviathan. It would've been rude. "The Lindbergh baby - that's on me!"I like that Sam tried to talk to Dean and get him to emote. Drama between the brothers is only good when it's not contrived.

On 8/12/2014 at 3:12 PM, catrox14 said:

I will forever be bothered by James Marsters speaking with his native American accent.

Same. I accepted American David Anders, why is American James Marsters so weird? Also, I am deeply bothered by him having a normal hair color. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, bettername2come said:

Same. I accepted American David Anders, why is American James Marsters so weird? Also, I am deeply bothered by him having a normal hair color. 

LOOOL. Seriously. I got used to his hair color when he was Captain John in Torchwood but he was still speaking with some kind of "British" accent. I know that's not real I just don't know which particular region. 

So that was two main roles that I enjoyed where he was not using his American accent. IT BUGS ME! LOL

On 7/27/2017 at 10:18 PM, bettername2come said:

I recognize the scene from where Sam comes back from his run from the outtake and keep picturing that instead of the real scene.

Me too!  I kept waiting for Dean to get up and stretch.  But he didn't.  :(

Heh - I just noticed that Chet the Leviathan drives the same model Chevy Malibu I used to.  Different color though.  

Sam's sideburns should get their own cast credit line in this episode.  

Wow - was that a picture of the twin towers in Don's office?  Don't see that too much anymore.  I guess it would stir up too many bad emotions.  Can't have that.

Waffle iron shout out!  Lol.  Pretty funny foreshadowing.  How did they not notice all the dead plants on the way in?  Or maybe they weren't dead when Sam and Dean went in but were dead when they came out.  That'd have been creepy.  

I liked Sam and Dean playing counselors.  And I get a perverse enjoyment out of watching Jared get thrown around.  But the CGI bees were seriously awful.  I also liked Don coming in the motel room and nonchalantly digging the coins out from under their beds.  I'm not bothered that they didn't kill the witches in the end.  I think it was pretty obvious that they wouldn't have been able to -and Don did save their lives, twice.  :)

• Love 3

this didn't make a lot of sense and it seemed useless to the plot. and dean getting mad at the cheating CEO seemed slightly off of his character, may i say? not saying he would be a cheating monster, but i remember clearly when dean implied sam was sleeping with a woman and sam said "she's married!" he acted as if he didn't care. so, i'm saying dean would not be an advocate of cheating but i don't think him getting so mad about it is in character as well.

• Love 1

Pardon my french, but what in the actual fuck was that? Just to be clear, a woman who killed with massive regret to save her child is an irredeemable monster who will kill again, but these assholes who killed innocent people with zero regret are cool. Not even a throw away line about how they are just too powerful? "Well, one of them saved the guys from the other" is not only a terrible justification, it shows that they aren't even stopping. Amy saved Sam by stabbing her own mother. 

Was the Osiris episode meant to be a model? Amy Pond gets ganked cause she feels guilty while these assholes are good to go? I don't get it. At least have them offer the Leviathan in exchange for Sam and Dean forgetting they exist or something. 

Meanwhile i am over the "Dean has a secret" discussion. It feels like we have done this over and over.

The good? The special effects other than the bees were great. Gory and disgusting. The disgusting corpse under the dryer. The nail in the face. And those cupcakes. I do love Charisma Carpenter, so I enjoyed her.

11 hours ago, The Companion said:

Pardon my french, but what in the actual fuck was that? Just to be clear, a woman who killed with massive regret to save her child is an irredeemable monster who will kill again, but these assholes who killed innocent people with zero regret are cool. Not even a throw away line about how they are just too powerful? "Well, one of them saved the guys from the other" is not only a terrible justification, it shows that they aren't even stopping. Amy saved Sam by stabbing her own mother. 

They tried to kill them and it didn't work. They didn't know how to kill them, so they didn't.

11 hours ago, The Companion said:

The nail in the face.

oh, that was so disgusting.  The hearts in the cupcakes were funny. Especially the reactions. There were hearts in my cupcakes, hearts in my cupcakes. That's never happened before."  No, I should think not.

On 8/16/2018 at 6:46 PM, Iju said:

is didn't make a lot of sense and it seemed useless to the plot. and dean getting mad at the cheating CEO seemed slightly off of his character, may i say?

I don't remember him getting mad at the cheating CEO.  At least not for cheating?  If he did, you're right, completely out of character.  

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

They tried to kill them and it didn't work. They didn't know how to kill them, so they didn't.

oh, that was so disgusting.  The hearts in the cupcakes were funny. Especially the reactions. There were hearts in my cupcakes, hearts in my cupcakes. That's never happened before."  No, I should think not.

Well, the witches specifically said they failed because the chicken not cold. How hard is it to get to another town and buy a cooler? Or even just ask Bobby if there is someone else who can try since they have been made. This season has them taking on an ancient monster with no known weakness head on. They have taken on Lucifer, powerful demons, angels, and gods. I just don't buy they don't finish what they started without a good reason with these two. They both killed innocent people. She tried to kill them.

The reaction to the cupcakes was hilarious and they were so amazingly gross.

In the beginning scene, why wouldn't the woman have been able to just slide easily out from under the hair dryer?? There were a couple of moments that could be interpreted as some evil force pulling her back upright when she did try but the movements were so slight that it wasn't clear if that was indeed the case or if she was just too inept to fully extricate herself!