Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Two of One

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Meanwhile, did we know Agnes could sing? I really liked her cover of Shadows of the Night.

She can sing!  "Just in case anyone is confused, yes that is Alison Pill actually singing “Shadows of the Night” in Star Trek: Picard. Pill is a multitalented performer and has plenty of experience singing as well as playing musical instruments. She even taught herself drums for 2010’s Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and sings on that movie’s soundtrack, too. For Picard, she confirms she recorded the song before filming."

I'm impressed. :)  

The meaning of why 'Shadows of the Night' was chosen.

Edited by ChitChat
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 4/8/2022 at 2:19 PM, benteen said:

There was some good stuff here but I feel like the storyline has been in a real slog the past few episodes. Now we will waste an entire epis with a "fantastic voyage" through Picard's head to find out something he's been repressing for 80 year

Exactly. What was fun is now going to be dragged back with the Picard drama in France - and where is his brother in that storyline (or am I misremembering “Family” which I thought was a misfire anyway)? Also Renee Picard was knocking them back - I hope quarantine has some painkillers. And where are they going, considering it was all “moon moon moon” at that party?

On 4/9/2022 at 3:24 PM, MissLucas said:

I honestly don't know why Jurati choosing a Pat Benatar song is such a miracle. Maybe the 24th century still knows YT reaction clips and there are still folks getting their mind blown by 'Bohemian Rhapsody'?

I would LOVE that. My objection in TNG was too much “classical/jazz” and not enough rock and pop. 

I did like WatcherLaris’s throwaway line about all of us on mobile but, as they say on Law & Order, I renew my objection to them letting her just waltz in and take over - that’s a lot of trust of someone they barely know, Guinan vouching for her nothwithstanding.

Edited by ML89
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, ML89 said:

Exactly. What was fun is now going to be dragged back with the Picard drama in France - and where is his brother in that storyline (or am I misremembering “Family” which I thought was a misfire anyway)? Also Renee Picard was knocking them back - I hope quarantine has some painkillers. And where are they going, considering it was all “moon moon moon” at that party?

I would LOVE that. My objection in TNG was too much “classical/jazz” and not enough rock and pop. 

I did like WatcherLaris’s throwaway line about all of us on mobile but, as they say on Law & Order, I renew my objection to them letting her just waltz in and take over - that’s a lot of trust of someone they barely know, Guinan vouching for her nothwithstanding.

Excellent point about Robert Picard not bring there.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1

Allison Pill has got some real pipes! I guess the Borg Queen assimilates music as well as species, she can really do it all. 

No wonder the Soong's all look exactly alike, they're all copies of the same people and the same experiments with the same theme naming, I guess in case it gets confusing. Did Soong also end up creating the Eugenics Wars and the super humans? Maybe its time for these people to take up a new hobby, this family is such an absolute mess, spanning centuries and generations. How many conflicts can one clone line possible create? 

The crew interaction is some of the best parts of the season, like Rios geeking out over old Earth things. I would much rather watch them than deal with the Soong's questionable choices. 

Picard can still rock a tuxedo like nobody's business. 

I am still liking the season, but I admit I was hoping for more with Q and the alternate timeline, less time travel and Soong drama. I am over clones. And Picard family drama. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I did not see this as Picard's mother being in an abusive relationship.  Most likely she suffered from bipolar or depression (as he mentioned) and his memories are of her being institutionalized, though why medications or other treatments were not available in his timeline I don't know.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, jabRI said:

I did not see this as Picard's mother being in an abusive relationship.  Most likely she suffered from bipolar or depression (as he mentioned) and his memories are of her being institutionalized, though why medications or other treatments were not available in his timeline I don't know.

As Raffi's S1 story reminds us, although the 24th century does have treatments available for many ailments people struggle with today, the individual still has to choose to accept that treatment, and not everyone does. TNG had a storyline in which Worf was paralysed and wanted to be allowed to die rather than accept treatment - he changed his mind rather than leave his son an orphan, but that storyline too was about the individual's right to choose.

I agree that the sub-plot about Picard's mother will most likely turn out to be something other than an abusive relationship. Stewart has as good as come out and said so in interviews, he's said that what Jean Luc thinks he remembers isn't what actually happened, because childhood memories are deceptive like that. So it will be interesting to see what the true story actually is.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 4/9/2022 at 6:00 PM, ChitChat said:

It's nice to think that her music would keep on going!  I would hope that would be the case with someone as talented as Pat Benatar though.  A true rock and roll pioneer for women.  Much respect.  

Pat Benatar is nominated this year to be included in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. So perhaps she is accepted this year, and her music gets a bump in popularity - and could explain why her music has become popular again in 2024. Perhaps Agnes heard the song while they were back in time.

On 4/9/2022 at 3:24 PM, MissLucas said:

I honestly don't know why Jurati choosing a Pat Benatar song is such a miracle. Maybe the 24th century still knows YT reaction clips

Maybe Pat Benatar is still struggling to get voted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame in the 24th century.  

I've had my fill of asshole Soongs.   They are not very interesting, and all they seem to accomplish is to tarnish the memory of Data.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 5

So cringy.  The Borg Queen stuff went from repetitive to silly.

On 4/9/2022 at 4:56 PM, Hiyo said:

But if there was no Pat Benetar song, what would they have to complain about on this week's ride on the waambulance?

That this is genuinely stupid?  I'm not complaining because I'm offended at blah blah canon violation.  I'm complaining because this isn't any good.  Despite her singing voice actually being good, I mean.  The writing of all of this is painfully bad. 

I suppose if I also complain about the somewhat fickle nature and inconsistent aspects of Picard being a human robot you'll really disrespect me?

Also Spiner really chewed the scenery, didn't he?  Also, they'd better actually have a Q-ish explanation for all of these dopplegangers.  It's so annoying. 

But I know.  I know. Waambulance.   I did actually like the plot direction and twist with Soong though.  But the stupid not-mind meld and Picard's whole condition?  Good lord.

Waaaaaaaaaah!

• Love 1

Made it 12 minutes before I started fast forwarding. Picard has to go to the past to give a pep talk to a nervous ancestor…why are we watching this? Who cares? Data’s dad tries to kill her. This is horribly pointless. Is the entire arc of this show to get us back to where we started, in the cheapest way possible?

On 4/7/2022 at 10:58 AM, dwmarch said:

What good is that synth body of Picard's? That car should have bounced right off of him

I think they said it was basically the same strength and life expectancy of a human body Picard's age, they said no "super powers".  So I don't imagine it's invulnerable.   

On 4/7/2022 at 4:11 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, either Agnes or the Borg Queen are a fan of Pat Benatar.  Not sure which one would be more interesting (really, with the collective at her disposal, the Borg Queen should know everything about pop culture now: human and otherwise!) 

I had just assumed Agnes knew the song and had some interest in singing.  But it would make sense that the Borg Queen would know all this trivia, and be able to target a song that was popular in the time and place they were in, even if she was 50 years old.