Type keyword(s) to search

From - General Discussion

AnimeMania
  • Start Topic

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star got to me. It made Victor being in the town since he was a young boy seem real; well, as real as anything in that town can seem.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
On 5/21/2023 at 7:21 PM, katenm said:

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star got to me. It made Victor being in the town since he was a young boy seem real; well, as real as anything in that town can seem.

Agreed. I thought Jade was going to do a simple, quick version because he's a prick, but he chose to play a really beautiful version complete with flourishes.

I'm glad Donna put that prick on the bus. She's the best leader in the town that can face the hard choices in a smart way. Boyd continues to spiral down. Every time Kenny is sad it makes me cry. Of course, Kristie's financee was going to be awful.

I love slow stories more than most but my patience for adding more pricks to the town and receiving no answers is starting to wear my patience thin.

I really hope we get some answers during this season. It's been a season and a half. We have no answers only tons of mysteries that don't seem to fit together. I'm not asking for a final explanation, just a small step forward to advance the plot instead of adding more turds to the punchbowl. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

S02.E06: Pas De Deux
from-episode-206-pas-de-deux-promotional
Tensions run high at Colony House when word of the coming food shortage leaks out; a night at the clinic takes a terrifying turn.

Premiere Date: May 28, 2023      MGM+       9pm

S02.E07: Belly Of The Beast

4u7atqriseb7ch2o6gmjvwymc3rhzavu&box_cli

Boyd and Kristi seek to capitalize on the apparent death of the Nightmare Creature; Jim finds an unlikely ally in the volatile Randall.

Premiere Date: June 4, 2023    MGM+    9pm

14 minutes ago, tired and hungry said:

Is episode 7 out already? It says June 4 but can't watch it yet..

It is available if you have On-Demand, otherwise you will have to wait til 9pm.

• Like 1

It's usually up on Amazon very early Sunday morning, but it's not this week (they said they didn't receive the episode yet and they expect to have it up at 11 eastern tonight). It's only on MGM+ at the moment.

• Like 2

S02.E08: Forest For The Trees

In their pursuit of the truth about the town, Jim and Randall hatch a dangerous plan; meanwhile, a new form of terror is brewing.
Premiere Date: June 11, 2023    MGM+    9pm

I have mixed feelings about this show. The intensity and escalation in each episode can be really good and all the actors are excellent. My frustration with the characters refusing to communicate with one another tempers that excitement. I feel like we're moving toward getting answers the second half of this season so I'm cautiously optimistic. If this season ends with more questions than answers, I'm not sure if I'll watch season 3 if there is one.

Most streaming services tend to cancel shows after two seasons so the end might be imminent. I haven't really seen much buzz about this show, but I've also seen no ads about it either. I'm surprised this thread is as dead as it is which is also a bad sign. Is there any info about how this show is doing?

• Like 2

S02.E09: Ball Of Magic Fire
from-episode-209-bell-of-magic-fire-prom
Panic spreads through town as the residents face a chilling new threat to their survival; Jim realizes the magnitude of the mistake he made by enlisting Randall in his cause.

Premiere Date: June 18, 2023    MGM+    9pm
cuZj10ovQX8w5w08JevlwtNcC4v.jpg

What the hell is going on with the cicadas? No one can see them, but they still attack people and cause pain? And make people's eyes crazy? 

Did the cicadas kill the sleeping woman? If so, how did they break her bones? That part is still confusing. 

Poor Ethan. He is over it. He can no longer be placated by stories or the idea of going on a quest. 

On 6/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, Catfi9ht said:

Most streaming services tend to cancel shows after two seasons so the end might be imminent. I haven't really seen much buzz about this show, but I've also seen no ads about it either. I'm surprised this thread is as dead as it is which is also a bad sign. Is there any info about how this show is doing?

I've seen no marketing for this show. I stumbled upon it on when Amazon Prime recommended it and I saw that Harold Perrineau was in the cast. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, topanga said:

What the hell is going on with the cicadas? No one can see them, but they still attack people and cause pain? And make people's eyes crazy?

I like Sara's theory about the dead peoples' nightmares coming to life. Maybe that's the origin of the creepy people. They manifested as the origin of some dead person's nightmare. The cicadas came out of the dead monster's mouth so because one nightmare monster died, the town had to manifest a new nightmare from someone else. Maybe the creepy people were manifested from the nightmare of the dead boy dressed in white.

That's probably the first theory I've been able to piece together from this show because it's got so many crazy happenings and none of them really seem to fit together. It's probably not right, but at least there's some semblance of similar happenings that I can finally begin to speculate. 😆

18 minutes ago, topanga said:

I've seen no marketing for this show. I stumbled upon it on when Amazon Prime recommended it and I saw that Harold Perrineau was in the cast.

Same! HP is the same reason I started this show too! He will always be the best version of Mercutio to me. I love him so much in that role. 🥰

Welp, maybe we'll get some answers with next week's season finale!

• Like 3

This show is criminally under promoted. I've been watching since last season and find it fascinating.

The only two criticisms I have are too many characters and they never speak to each other. I'm hoping the finale gives us enough to hang on to until the next season.

• Like 7
On 6/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, Catfi9ht said:

I have mixed feelings about this show. The intensity and escalation in each episode can be really good and all the actors are excellent. My frustration with the characters refusing to communicate with one another tempers that excitement. I feel like we're moving toward getting answers the second half of this season so I'm cautiously optimistic. If this season ends with more questions than answers, I'm not sure if I'll watch season 3 if there is one.

On lack of communication.  One thing to keep in mind.  We don't actually know how long they have been together.  We don't even know if Victor has only survived one "reset" where the community was wiped out.   The town may only have 40 people tops with a very high turnover rate.  Kept in a constant state of agitation where no one has much time for much discussion until the next crisis hits.

if you take this to the human world picture a town occupied where the invaders use torture and atrocity to shock people into a state of fear because they know once they calmed down planning for an insurrection could start.  Terror and horror are a form of social control.

Epix/MGM+ isn't most streaming services.  It is a pay cable channel even if like HBO they are trying to rebrand into a streaming channel because that makes investors happy.  They are also building up their original programming inventory. Godfather of Harlem is already in it's third season and should see a fourth.  They haven't greenlighted a zillion shows like some streaming services did (and ended up reversing course when it was too many).  I think we'll get a third. 

For what it's worth and includes very necessary caution of who knows how long the writers strike will go for and how that affects everyone's plans with everything.

The other issue is the current writers’ strike. Reportedly the show has been renewed for season 3 because the local IATSE Local 849 production union has been told the series has been greenlit, according to Decider. However, the strike has put that on hold, and shows have changed course and written into cancellation status with production delays in the past.

https://readysteadycut.com/2023/06/17/from-season-3/#:~:text=At the time of this,praise from critics and fans.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
21 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

The only two criticisms I have are too many characters and they never speak to each other. I'm hoping the finale gives us enough to hang on to until the next season.

Agreed. With so many people having such different experiences I'm sure they are connected. I know they don't want to trouble/upset the regular folk with their theories/delusions but if they really want to figure stuff out then the least they can do is talk/communicate amongst themselves. I mean what else do they have to do everyday? 

Also agreed on the too many people. I don't really mind some NPC people dying tbh. There's way too many people at colony house. Collateral Damage maybe...

• Like 3
(edited)

S02.E10: Once Upon A Time… 
(Season Finale)

from-episode-210-once-upon-a-time%E2%80%
Boyd fears he may have finally run out of answers, as the residents of town prepare for the end; Tabitha clings to the belief that the children could be the key to their salvation.

Premiere Date: June 25, 2023    MGM+    9pm
FROM_Picto.thumb.jpg.fe589bd45b45d37bef3306eefb5b583c.jpg

Edited by AnimeMania
(edited)

OMG That Ending!!!!!! 

Can't believe we have to wait a year for answers now...

Spoiler

I did think during S1 that maybe them "dying" in the town was the way for them to escape back to the real world. But it didn't really make sense when S2 started so I quickly forgot about that.. 

I am confused if Tabitha escaped because she found the tower or because she "died" falling off it.. I wonder if she can find the others who died previously. What if they too are alive somewhere? Do they still remember what happened? Are they also looking for a way to find the others that are still stuck in town?

Msybe Sara was right when she tried to kill Ethan.. That's the way to get home..

Edited by tired and hungry
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

OMG That Ending!!!!!! 

Can't believe we have to wait a year for answers now...

Hide contents

I did think during S1 that maybe them "dying" in the town was the way for them to escape back to the real world. But it didn't really make sense when S2 started so I quickly forgot about that.. 

I am confused if Tabitha escaped because she found the tower or because she "died" falling off it.. I wonder if she can find the others who died previously. What if they too are alive somewhere? Do they still remember what happened? Are they also looking for a way to find the others that are still stuck in town?

Msybe Sara was right when she tried to kill Ethan.. That's the way to get home..

She did not die, she was pushed through a portal and back in the real world.

• Like 1
(edited)

A few things.

First. I am not convinced the kid in white is the good guy and not just toying with them.  Or at the very least answering to a higher power and just following orders even if doing so a bit more reluctantly.

Second.  I now get why the bus was necessary.  How long has it been since the end of season 1 and the end of season 2.  Maybe two weeks?  And what has the body count been since then?  Come to think of it how long has it been since the Matthews' family arrived?   One month?  Two months?

Three.  The kids saying Angkoeey.  I am wondering if it's a child's mispronunciation of another word that's similar used to describe what they are going through.  Two come to mind.  Agoge was the harsh regimen children had to go through to train them in Ancient Sparta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoge

Another would be Anagoge which would be more meta.  Again from wikipedia.

Anagoge sometimes spelled anagogy, is a Greek word suggesting a climb or ascent upwards. The anagogical is a method of mystical or spiritual interpretation of statements or events, especially scriptural exegesis, that detects allusions to the afterlife.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anagoge

Given the last two scenes with Tabitha I find that definition intriguing.

Lastly I am curious to see who Tabitha meets on the outside in the unnamed town she is now in.  There are three directions they could go in.  She could meet those who "died" in the town.  She could meet those who escaped the town (i.e. perhaps the nurse is Victor's mother).  Or she could just be in a dream like state (perhaps to the outside world catatonic like Julie was) and/or chained to some wall or stone somewhere.

Whatever the answer they need to hurry up and settle the writer's strike and gives us a third season!

Edited by Taget
  • Like 4
7 hours ago, Taget said:

Whatever the answer they need to hurry up and settle the writer's strike and gives us a third season!

Agreed. The finale was compelling but didn't provide us with many answers.

What about the formerly-douchy guy who's now in the tunnels? I like him now because he's really trying to figure out what's going on. If only him, Boyd, the deputy, Donna, Matthew, Victor, Tabitha, and maybe even Sara would have town council meeting and say: "This is what I know. This is what you know and have experienced. Could they be connected?" 

Maybe that would cause confusion, but it would also allow people to realize that some of them have been having similar experiences. 

• Like 4

Welp, the only answer we got was Boyd solving a problem that was created two episodes ago.

I love slower shows than most people, but this show is a slog. So much time was wasted with scenes that didn't matter especially the wedding scene.

I'm no longer emotionally invested in the characters. I didn't care about Tabitha leaving. I didn't care about the wedding. I didn't care about any of the three knuckleheads who were temporarily infected with screaming sickness.

Not satisfying for me at all. None of the pieces remotely resemble anything similar. It feels like the show started with its premise but no ending. Now they have no idea how to wrap anything up.

I doubt I'll be back for season three unless it miraculously gets any type of advertising and positive reviews.

For folks who like the show, I hope it continues to keep you engaged.

I'm doing my happy dance to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star at the news of Season 3! OK, so it's a slow happy dance since it's the violin version played by David Alpay. lol

This show has flaws, but it's engaging, and the acting is good overall. My needs are few, and FROM meets them.

• Like 4

I've got insomnia and am watching The Price is Right channel. The episode on now is from sometime in the 80s. A guy named Boyd is up on stage and is guessing prices of miscellaneous home goods in order to win a car. The first prize he bids on is cookware from a brand named Colony House.

I'm pretty sure I'm awake. 😅

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 2
On 4/30/2023 at 11:05 AM, PurpleTentacle said:

Chained up man: "Let me tell you about what else is going on here."

Boyd: "Let's change the subject."

picard-meme-facepalm.jpg?auto=webp&fit=c

Who writes this shit?

Well now we know.

I'm on episode four of season two, and I wondered how he had a rope to climb, when this guy was chained up, and didn't look capable of throwing him a rope. 

The girl with the thing in her head, was painful just watching. Just horrible. 

It feels like a mixture of Lost, The Truman Show, and I've totally forgotten the other show I was thinking of earlier. 

Edited by Anela

It probably isn't the case, but it reminds me a bit of a video game. The way they find a way to fight back, but then the dead monster becomes a new monster for them to face. The tree takes you to different places. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Anela said:

it reminds me a bit of a video game

When I saw the first episode, it reminded me of the numerous r/NoSleep stories on Reddit similar to this plot. I had read so many user written stories where a person moves into a small quaint and eerie town and is warned not to "go out at night" and also stuff like "never answer the door after dark no matter who it is". Stories of kids raised in small towns where they are asked to always be back home before sunset & to never play outside after dark and not to question why. I have even read stories where people cover & lock all windows/doors at night and never look outside the windows(Like everyone in the town is used to this stuff happening at night). Also the "creatures" that come at night knock on the doors and "look human" and can speak like humans to trick them to open the door.

I was tempted to look up these stories on the subreddit when I saw Ep1 to find any story that was the most similar to the show but there are so many stories it was impossible to go through them all

(Also I think the show maybe be inspired from a folklore creature called Wendigo. Atleast this creature was the inspiration of many of the subreddit stories)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tired and hungry said:

it reminded me of the numerous r/NoSleep stories on Reddit similar to this plot. I had read so many user written stories where a person moves into a small quaint and eerie town and is warned not to "go out at night" and also stuff like "never answer the door after dark no matter who it is". Stories of kids raised in small towns where they are asked to always be back home before sunset & to never play outside after dark and not to question why

Going back further, this is the moral lesson of fairy tales. Stay away from the woods, there are monsters out there.

What's interesting to me is that our fascination with this type of tale hasn't really changed, just the method of delivery. This is also something I hadn't noticed before. This show is very "original" Brothers Grimm before the stories were Disneyfied. That's probably what drew me to it.

• Like 4