Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Drop in for Brunch

• Start Topic

S1.E6

Drop in for Brunch

Sun, Jan 30, 2022

Team chefs are challenged to create a next level Sunday brunch.

This show is so funny.

I know I've been all "Rah rah" about this show, I love the concept, and I still love the show and I'm enjoying it a lot every week, but it's just so funny that from week to week you get no reward for winning the previous challenge.  You start again from zero, perhaps in the basement.  

Mariahhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooo What were you thinking!  She really upset me.  Imagine Gordon's reaction if Mariah was on his team?  Look at how he treats her versus how he treats Tricia just because she what............ had some flames on her stove last week?  I don't remember what she did but he will not. fucking. shut up about it.

The drama about the guy grabbing the onion.  ??  I don't get it.  When Tricia complained about what he did, I rewound it like 3 times to see what it was, wondering, did he steal an onion from her hands or something?  It turns out he just...... crouched down on the floor to grab it?  So what?  What am I missing?

Has anyone been keeping track if the levels affect the outcomes at all?  Do the basement chefs ever win?  Do the top kitchen chefs ever lose?  I already don't remember what team was where this week.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

This show is so funny.

I know I've been all "Rah rah" about this show, I love the concept, and I still love the show and I'm enjoying it a lot every week, but it's just so funny that from week to week you get no reward for winning the previous challenge.  You start again from zero, perhaps in the basement.  

Mariahhhhhhh Noooooooooooooooo What were you thinking!  She really upset me.  Imagine Gordon's reaction if Mariah was on his team?  Look at how he treats her versus how he treats Tricia just because she what............ had some flames on her stove last week?  I don't remember what she did but he will not. fucking. shut up about it.

The drama about the guy grabbing the onion.  ??  I don't get it.  When Tricia complained about what he did, I rewound it like 3 times to see what it was, like did he steal an onion from her hands or something?  It turns out he just like, crouched down on the floor to grab it?  So what?  What am I missing?

Has anyone been keeping track if the levels affect the outcomes at all?  Do the basement chefs ever win?  Do the top kitchen chefs ever lose?  I already don't remember what team was where this week.

Happy that Amber got sent home and hopefully the whiney Tricia from Gordon's team will be next.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

Surprise, surprise, someone on Gordon’s team won so the smallest team was safe. 

Actually think that he may take it all the way.  Seems to be a very accomplished chef in his own right.

• Love 2
(edited)

Last week I think Courtney had a shot at winning but they couldn't let her because Pyet's team overall did so well and Courtney's team didn't.  Also how could they not give the win to Pyet after Gordon gushed about her dish only halfway through tasting everything, saying that no chef in America could beat it 🙄. Hyperbole much?

This week, there was no way in hell they were going to give the win to someone on Mariah's team, because Mariah had to fight for her life after not plating.

The structure of the show is so odd and they constantly have to overcorrect for it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The drama about the guy grabbing the onion.  ??  I don't get it.  When Tricia complained about what he did, I rewound it like 3 times to see what it was, wondering, did he steal an onion from her hands or something?  It turns out he just...... crouched down on the floor to grab it?  So what?  What am I missing?

Wasn't she complaining about him grabbing the lobster when she was reaching for it?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Surprise, surprise, someone on Gordon’s team won so the smallest team was safe. 

The best thing about that is we were spared from Ruel yelling at his teammate during the elimination challenge.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KeithJ said:

Wasn't she complaining about him grabbing the lobster when she was reaching for it?

That's how I saw it too.  

I think that anyone that doesn't put a plate up on time should automatically have to cook to stay in the competition.  There is really no penalty for not putting up a dish.  The judges still tasted it and if someone on that team cooked the best dish, they skate through to the next round.  

Honestly though, I'm having a hard time caring about this show.  I'm not quite sure why I'm still watching.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, cameron said:

Happy that Amber got sent home and hopefully the whiney Tricia from Gordon's team will be next.

My DVR cut off just before the final decision so I'm very happy to learn that Amber got axed.  I've been hoping to lose her since the first episode. 

Isn't it interesting that, on Gordon's shows. the dish that doesn't make it to the judging for some reason is always tasted anyway and is always wonderful and exceptional.  So unfortunate.  :)

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I think my problem with this show is that the coaches are also the judges, with Gordon being the one they all defer to…you can see the body language as they present their teams’ dishes.  

• Love 1
On 1/30/2022 at 10:34 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

This show is so funny.Has anyone been keeping track if the levels affect the outcomes at all?  Do the basement chefs ever win?  Do the top kitchen chefs ever lose?  I already don't remember what team was where this week.

Here's a recreation of what has been happening thus far (let me know if I get anything wrong):

WEEK 2

This was the first one where they were in teams.

Team Ramsay (TR) in Top 

Team Arrington (TA) in Middle

Team Blais (TB) in Basement

Winner: Reuel (TR)

Elimination: Gary (TB)

WEEK 3

TB in Top

TR in Middle

TA in Basement

Winner: Jonathan (TB)

Elimination: Royce (TR)

WEEK 4

TA in Top

TB in Middle

TR in Basement

Winner: Tricia (TR)

Elimination: Sergio (TA)

Week 5

TB in Top

TA in Middle

TR in Basement

Winner: Pyet (TA)

Elimination Devonnie (TR)

Week 6

TA in Top

TR in Middle

TB in Basement

Winner: Reuel (TR)

Elimination: Amber (TA)

So far, the winner has cooked in the top kitchen twice, the middle kitchen twice and the basement once. The eliminated chef started in the top two times, middle one time, basement two times. Interestingly, both times Nyesha has lost someone, it's been when they started up Top., and both the times when the Top kitchen has lost someone has been with her team. Maybe they get overconfident there.

18 hours ago, DEL901 said:

I think my problem with this show is that the coaches are also the judges, with Gordon being the one they all defer to…you can see the body language as they present their teams’ dishes.  

I think the show would be way better if they had an independent judging panel. I don't know if the reason they didn't was expenses or COVID or what, but hopefully they make that tweak if this gets to a second season.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

I'm so sick of the peanut gallery telling the dueling contestants what to do. Just shut up and let them work!

I get telling them if something is about to burn but otherwise it seems like such a distraction to the chefs.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Such A Flirt said:

I'm so sick of the peanut gallery telling the dueling contestants what to do. Just shut up and let them work!

ME TOO.  The worst offenders seem to be Pyet and the huge guy on Ramsay's team. They think they know everything!  

14 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I get telling them if something is about to burn but otherwise it seems like such a distraction to the chefs.

Okay you're right, I did like Ae pointing that out to Mariah.  That was good.  And she even knew to yell because Mariah CAN'T LISTEN!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Okay you're right, I did like Ae pointing that out to Mariah.  That was good.  And she even knew to yell because Mariah CAN'T LISTEN!

I couldn't believe it when Mariah said (after not putting her plate on that gurney thing) that she didn't know or hear that time was up. I mean -- everyone was screaming and running around like crazy. SMH. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, hookedontv said:

I couldn't believe it when Mariah said (after not putting her plate on that gurney thing) that she didn't know or hear that time was up. I mean -- everyone was screaming and running around like crazy. SMH. 

I can believe it.  As a kid, one day my whole class left the library and I didn’t notice because I was reading.  It is called hyper-focus.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I knew as soon as they tasted Mariah's dish that they would say it was one of the best.  Even if it wasn't.  It just increases the drama to have her miss the platform having made the "best" dish.

I'm actually enjoying this show, despite Blais.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, hilaryvm said:

I knew as soon as they tasted Mariah's dish that they would say it was one of the best.  Even if it wasn't.  It just increases the drama to have her miss the platform having made the "best" dish.

Yup, all those little touches are really insulting to our intelligence but Ramsay does them regardless.  🙄

• Love 2
On 1/31/2022 at 8:35 AM, cameron said:

Actually think that he may take it all the way.  Seems to be a very accomplished chef in his own right.

I think so too.  He is the one that I really want to see what he will prepare in each episode.  He has great ideas and knows how to create a great dish.

I wonder who will win. I really think(and hope) it will be between Team Ramsey and Team Arrington. Each one has a solid chef on their team.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:35 AM, cameron said:

Ruel is a beast. I knew it was going to be hot once he snatched the lobster away from Tricia.  And she had the nerve to be upset about it! 

Oh, and I was happy to see Amber eliminated. She annoyed me more than Tricia.  Plus her palate is way suspect if a dish that was too sweet for Chef Nyesha when she tasted it in the kitchen was too spicy for her.

Damn it, I want fried lobster.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 1

Binge watched over the past week.  So thrilled that Amber is gone.  She was one of the only ones that I truly disliked.  I couldn't stand her know-it-all attitude.  She couldn't handle criticism at all, it seemed like she was backtalking to the judges a lot or rolling her eyes.  Nyesha says it is too sweet and she mutters "I didn't think it was too sweet.  I thought it was spicy."

On 1/31/2022 at 9:37 AM, KeithJ said:

She was definitely complaining about the lobster.  I think especially since in the elevator ride she might have even talked about how she wanted to do a lobster and he knew that she wanted it.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2022 at 9:25 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think the show would be way better if they had an independent judging panel. I don't know if the reason they didn't was expenses or COVID or what, but hopefully they make that tweak if this gets to a second season.

I don't like the idea of an independent judging panel because then it turns into just another cooking show and then there's some focus on the judges instead of the contestants and the food.  One of the things I like about this one is that the mentors are judging the food.  And plus, if they had an independent judging panel, then we would probably get somebody like Donatella Arpaia, and I can't stand her.

31 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't like the idea of an independent judging panel because then it turns into just another cooking show and then there's some focus on the judges instead of the contestants and the food.  One of the things I like about this one is that the mentors are judging the food.  And plus, if they had an independent judging panel, then we would probably get somebody like Donatella Arpaia, and I can't stand her.

One of the things I don't like about reality shows in general is when it seems like the fix is in. 

And by having contestants paired to specific judges, I at least have the sense that Ramsay would prefer to not eliminate his contestants, or would prefer to weaken Team Blais (say) because there are 4 members to that team vs. Team Arrington that has 3. 

Having judges not affiliated with the teams, whether it's a regular panel or rotating people or whatever, would diminish that aspect of things. 

• Love 2