Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

I won't say much about Shcherbakova's skating because I just don't care, it doesn't matter anymore; but, whoever put her in an outfit that makes her look like her slip is showing should be required to take a drug test.

1 hour ago, choclatechip45 said:

Did Eteri get kicked out of the kiss and cry?

Maybe she got arrested for her crimes against humanity and dragged away in cuffs?  A girl can dream....

I'm sure she is busy helping her favored little princess, poor, sad Kamila, get ready for her skate and cannot be bothered with losers like Anna.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

ETA: Watched Trusova.  I do not understand how her PCS aren't in the negative numbers.  I also see Eteri has the full Cruella DeVille going on today, from the stringy hair to the fur cuffs on her sleeves.

This is what makes this sport so problematic. We just had two routines (Sasha & Kaori) and you couldn't have more of a contrast. I can admire the athleticism that it takes to get all those quads in, but that's all there is to her routine. There's not musicality or flow. The whole point of Sasha's program was to go from one jump to the next. Kaori, on the other hand, gave a beautiful program where elements flowed together. She didn't sacrifice artistry for the technical elements. I know which one I'd rather watch.

The problem is that the judges are not rewarding artistic skaters any longer. We saw this repeatedly with Nathan's and Yuzuru's scores over the past few years. It's all about big jumps.

Personally, I would like to see big elements like quads limited (both for men and women) so that greater emphasis is placed on the classic elements of skating. I'd love to see figures come back, so that we can really judge the quality of their basic skating and not have it turn into the jumping competition that the sport has become. 

• Love 21

Looks like the Russians will go 1-2-3. Probably Eteri will have Kamila sent to Siberia before her medal gets stripped so.

Tara is blaming the adults. Johnny didn't say anything. Kamila is crying. Oh darn.

HAH NO MEDAL FOR KAMILA.

LOL Johnny just said "thank God."

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Hana Chan said:

Personally, I would like to see big elements like quads limited (both for men and women) so that greater emphasis is placed on the classic elements of skating. I'd love to see figures come back, so that we can really judge the quality of their basic skating and not have it turn into the jumping competition that the sport has become. 

I don't know how old you are, but, as someone who remembers when school figures were part of the competition, I am not eager to see them come back.  Watching skaters make figure 8's and retrace them dozens of times and then see the judges come out and stare at the tracks and get down to look at the ice shavings was less than fascinating.  In fact, the networks would only show a couple of minutes before switching to skiing and bobsled.

Also, in the days of school figures, you had some skaters who were pure technicians; they could do school figures in their sleep.  Put them on the ice, play some music and ask them to perform and they would move like their skates were made of lead.  Take a look at Trixi Schuba, a German skater who won the gold in 1972.  She would kick everyone's a** in figures and then come out for the short and free skate and plow around the rink like a robot and be awarded the gold, She was a lovely person, just not a performer, no artistry.  I'm pretty sure that it was after those Olympics that school figures were dropped.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Just an awful skate for Kamila…I hope it’s enough to get her off the podium. Kaori deserves to medal and get her ceremony at the games.

Anyone wonder if the Russians didn't decide that this was the best way to get the problem behind them and she was told to tank?

• Useful 2
  • Love 22

I am legitimately scared of what Eteri is going to do when there's no cameras if she's treating her like that with cameras. Despite everything she's a kid who's failed by all adults in her life.

Kaori, you are the gold medal winner in my heart. Really happy for your bronze that deserved to be more.

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

Anyone wonder if the Russians didn't decide that this was the best way to get the problem behind them and she was told to tank?

There’s a part of me that wonders that as well. Like, I have no doubt that all of this got to her mentally, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she was told to fall on the sword. 

What a miserable end to this. 

Edited by GeminiDancer
  • Love 23
Just now, Rootbeer said:

I wondered too, but she really seems devastated. I’m not sure she could fake that. I just think she totally buckled under the pressure. 

Im glad that they finally got the cameras off of Kamila. Enough about her! Focus on the winners (and no, I don’t think the other 2 Russians are clean either, but this is a much better result than the alternative, which was no medal ceremony). 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

No way. The Russians are convinced they haven't done anything wrong. Their history of doping shows they don't care.

However they are all acting like a loved one died. Sasha was losing it, can't tell if she's crying out of happiness or what? Anna is just sitting there with a blank look on her face, nobody is paying attention to her. Yay you won a gold medal?

Anyway, I have been amiss. Yay for Kaori! I can't wait to see her get her bronze medal.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Why is Trusova having a meltdown?

I expect she knows things that we don't know and it's breaking her. I don't think that skating while Russian is a picnic in the park for any of them.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, choclatechip45 said:

I'm not sure, this whole thing is super bizarre. Meanwhile there's Anna just sitting there with nobody around her. It reminds me of 2018 when Alina won but Eteri was too busy consoling Evgenia to pay attention to her.

Johnny translates as Sasha is crying, saying that she doesn't want to go to the podium.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Yeah, she’s being a bit ridiculous. I understand Kamila’s meltdown, but her?!? I get being upset for your teammate, and this week had to be draining on everyone, but Kamila fell all over the place. Does she think she still should’ve medaled? 

Every skater is capable of having a bad competition. We saw Nathan spend more time on his backside than on his skates during his SP in Peongchang. We saw Yuzuru have problems here. It is entirely possible that Kamila just had a bad night to miss so many elements.

But I just can't buy it. Not with the way she's been performing all year. I'm willing to put good money down on her being instructed to throw the competition to take the focus off of her pending doping tests and saving Eteri and Russia the embarrassment that is sure to follow. And it saves the IOC the headache of not being able to have a medal ceremony (just leaving the team event in flux).  Not that I think that Sasha or Anna are clean, but they haven't been caught with testing yet. But I would not be surprised of Kamila suddenly retires this year, especially if the pending tests confirm her doping and she gets suspended.

I'm thrilled for Kaori through! And that bronze is as good as gold in my eyes.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 16
Just now, Jess14 said:

Yeah, she’s being a bit ridiculous. I understand Kamila’s meltdown, but her?!? I get being upset for your teammate, and this week had to be draining on everyone, but Kamila fell all over the place. Does she think she still should’ve medaled? 

That's the part I don't get. Kamila I can understand. 

Also Trusova always seemed like the one who showed the most personality waiting to take selfies with other skaters asking Hanyu to do a quad together. 

I don't think they told Kamila to throw the competition. I think the pressure got to her. She's been under scrutiny all week (fairly may I add).

I've seen enough athletes balk under pressure and that's what it looked like to me. 

• Love 12

Johnny said that Sasha thinks she should have won, I guess? 

I do think both things can be true with Kamila, that she was told to throw it and she buckled under pressure. 

What a shitshow this is. 

Edited by GeminiDancer
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, healthnut said:

We get a medal ceremony but frankly it’s no fun either. I’d really like to know what Trusova is so upset about, not sure how well Johnny is translating. 

I think Johnny speaks Russian well enough that when he says she doesn't want to go to the podium, he's right.  That's really the only thing he's translated.  Trusova really needs to get a grip.  Now Johnny says Trusova is angry that she didn't win the gold, not anything to do with Kamila.  That makes more sense.  She's a sore winner, like many Russians before her.

I feel for Kaori who is caught up in this emotional maelstrom at what should be a moment of triumph and happiness for her.  So glad to see here overjoyed on the podium though.

I expect the Russians will soon be holding a press conference complaining that it was the horrible pressure put on Kamila by all the non-Russians doubting her and thinking she cheated that caused her flameout and we should be ashamed of ourselves.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 8

Well I know this isn't a popular opinion but I felt bad for Kamila. I think TPTB in Russia told her to throw the competition. I wouldn't be surprised if she was retired and never heard from again. Discarded at age 15.

So many adults around her failed her, and as usual the hatred is focused on the teen girl and not the abusive adults.

I hope she packs her bags out of Sambo 70 the minute she flies back to Moscow, and takes off for happier trails. 

• Love 17

And Russia meanwhile, gets their way. They are going to fight tooth and nail to keep that Team Gold and now they’ve won Gold and Silver in the women’s competition.

Trusova has always been a sore loser - she’s mad about not winning the gold, which I’m sure she believes she deserves because of her quads. 

Anna was my favorite of the Russian ladies so I guess I’m happy for her, although she probably can’t enjoy it because of the mess with her teammates and the ROC. 

Side note, this isn’t going to ruin the Olympics or Figure Skating - both have surivived far worse. 

Edited by ShellsandCheese
  • Love 11

I do feel sorry for Kamila because she should never have been put in this situation. I entirely blame Eteri because when this happened, she did absolutely nothing to protect Kamila. The kinder thing would have been to have her withdraw from competition until the matter was cleared up. Either they threw this kid to the wolves and had her deliberately botch her performance or Kamila finally cracked from the pressure. Either way, this should never have been allowed to happen.

Johnny speaks Russian well enough to know exactly what Sasha was saying. I get that she's disappointed because in all reality, this is her one Olympics. There won't be another bite at the apple because of the Eteri Expiration Date. Hopefully she'll get a grip on herself (because she's coming across like a brat) and hightail it back to Plushenko's rink (or better yet, over to Brian Orser before her back is completely wrecked) and tries to have a career as an adult skater.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Useful 1
  • Love 13

Sasha won the long program. Anna was second in both segments. I can see why Sasha might be frustrated that she didn’t beat her. I’m glad she didn’t, and it’s incredibly bad sportsmanship to make a scene about it, but I understand why she might think she deserves it. If this was the crappy ordinal system, she would have won.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Well I know this isn't a popular opinion but I felt bad for Kamila. I think TPTB in Russia told her to throw the competition. I wouldn't be surprised if she was retired and never heard from again. Discarded at age 15.

I think most of us here feel bad for Kamila.  A lot of what happened wasn't under her control, she had little to no choice.

And, yes, I expect she will announce her retirement from skating and disappear whch is really sad because she is a beautiful, well-rounded skater.  If she'd been born anywhere but Russia, her story could've turned out so much better.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, Jeddah said:

Sasha won the long program. Anna was second in both segments. I can see why Sasha might be frustrated that she didn’t beat her. I’m glad she didn’t, and it’s bad sportsmanship to make a scene about it, but I understand why she might think she deserves it. If this was the crappy ordinal system, she would have won.

Eteri needs to smack some sense into Sasha; now is the time to be doing this. Read the room. Poor Kaori and poor Anna. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

I do feel sorry for Kamila because she should never have been put in this situation. I entirely blame Eteri because when this happened, she did absolutely nothing to protect Kamila.

Not only did she do nothing to protect Kamila, she actively harmed her by (probably) giving her drugs.

• Love 19
Just now, ShellsandCheese said:

Eteri needs to smack some sense into Sasha; now is the time to be doing this. Read the room. Poor Kaori and poor Anna. 

This is the coach who ignored her gold medal winner, who was crying and not happy tears, in favor of her favorite who won silver. By the way, that was a happier sight then what's happening this year and isn't that fucking sad.

• Love 13
Just now, Minneapple said:

Not only did she do nothing to protect Kamila, she actively harmed her by (probably) giving her drugs.

Also the compassionate thing for a coach to do would have been to send her home, tell her that next season, she can a get a fresh start. Instead, she let Kamila be thrown to the wolves. Awful. You could tell in the K&C that she'd already written her off.

• Love 5

With the exception of Kaori getting on the podium, a gorgeous routine from Wakaba and the US doing somewhat better than expected, this was a total shit show. It's an embarrassment that those who only watching the sport once every four years that this is the impression they're going to come away with.

Eteri is a disgrace. She got her medals as a coach, but she utterly destroyed three girls in the process. 

• Love 22
7 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

According to a poster on the figure skating reddit Trusova is saying something along the lines of 'I hate this sport, I hate this sport, everyone had gold medals but me', which if true is not endearing her to me.

For some reason this is absolutely cracking me up. This sport is so freakin’ ridiculous.

• Love 5

Sasha did 5 quads (2 with problems) while Anna did 2 quads. If this was a jump contest, Sasha should have won, but, thank heavens, it isn't.

If she's crying about not getting a Gold, remember that most countries give a cash bonus to athletes based on the color of medal. I suspect she's worried about the compensation, not the glory.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4

I don't think we should be judgmental about any of Eteri's girls. I don't think Kamila should have skated, and support a suspension for her. But these are very young girls and it's clear that their daily life is absolutely hellish. 

It's so strange that Eteri has coached so many medalists but it doesn't seem as if she has any fondness for any of them. They're just girls she can discard after a year or two.

• Love 6

And the Russian commentators are putting the blame for Kamila's breakdown on the IOC and WADA. Not on her abusive, manipulative coach. 

Russia needs to be banned from all international competitions for at least the next entire Olympic cycle. Will suck for the clean athletes (if there are any) but I don't see any other way for the IOC to force them to clean house and take the doping rules seriously.

• Love 14