Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E99: Matchmaking in Boston

• Start Topic

On 12/30/2021 at 9:26 AM, TVJunkee said:

8:00 came and I was saying to myself--what I am going to do on a Wednesday night with no Survivor AND no MAFS?  Then I checked the Uverse and it said a MAFS was set to record at 8:00!   viewing prayers answered.   

As they say, Watch out what you ask for.

• LOL 5

I have watched previous seasons (not the last one) probably 1/3 of the episodes or so. I decided to watch this one, the Boston one,  the last 2 nights. I really thought there would be more of the couples. I understand the "Experts" need to yammer and tell us why the matches make so much sense and have such promise. (how many times did they use the word "pleasant" to describe the individuals??).

I was ok the first night when they were making their matches, but thought it was so dragged out.

Last night was so so so so so so prolonged and painful that I kept switching away to other channels because it just was not in the least interesting. I also dozed. I am at least relieved to read that several of you mentioned not watching the first 2 episodes so I know it's not me!

I am going to try to watch it going forward but I still don't understand what last night was supposed to be. I found the contributors ( editors of blogs and magazines?) very hard to listen to . It's like they think they are in a club, a special club, for people who think they are cool and they are the only ones who think so.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I wonder why they approved the "shark" guy when they rejected him previously.  Maybe they want someone who really wants to be married so that there's a chance of a successful match.

I imagine there are at lease a few “approvable” people each season for whom they just don’t have a good match? At least in theory???

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Polliwollidoodle said:

Last night was so so so so so so prolonged and painful that I kept switching away to other channels because it just was not in the least interesting. I also dozed.

The problem is that they showed some things things in the "package" on each couple that weren't shown on the matchmaking episode, and maybe it's because we know so little about them, but these things seemed important to know.  But it's impossible to pick them up if you're FFing or flipping channels--they're embedded. 

This show is diabolical. 

On 12/30/2021 at 1:16 PM, NowVoyager said:

Olajuwon said women think he's a player. Hm. Probably because he is. On a shallow note, I hope he gets a more flattering haircut before the wedding. 

YESSS! His hair looks bad all wild like that. On a sidenote, looks like we know which name will be the most misspelled. I'm calling him Olaj.

Edited by Lindz
On 12/30/2021 at 5:49 PM, Blissfool said:

Alyssa and Chris---I like them, but I fear she won't be attracted to him

Same. I think she thinks she's hot stuff & he is not. Reminds me of the 1st Atlanta season. Ashley & David.

Dr. Viv looked like she had a bald spot. 😅

So did Pepper; I noticed it when she was walking away from someone - it's right in the back of her head. Like infants get where their head is always rubbing against the bottom of the crib.

8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I wonder why they approved the "shark" guy when they rejected him previously.

In the clip they played of him from the first time, he talked about wanting a wife that doesn't need makeup because she's that beautiful, but nothing crazy, like a model. 😅😂 That was dumb to say! Superficial as hell! Let's hope he actually MEANS he cares about more than looks and isn't just saying the right things.

Edited by Lindz

Lindsey sounds like a smoker. Girl's WICKED SMART! 😉😂 She suspected Viv was there to tell her she'd been matched. I think she was the most authentic, but still reserved. We see the applicant version of these people. They need to dig deeper to try and see the married version. Olaj backtracked when he said he wanted a meal ready when he got home. I think he was trying to say the right thing. He probably has very unpopular opinions and kept them to himself. He'd probably lock out his wife. 😅 Katina, Jasmina, Alyssa, Noi, Chris, & Michael seem shy & uncomfortable. How are they not asked, "WHAT DOES MARRIAGE LOOK LIKE TO YOU DAY-TO-DAY?" It's gunna be interesting to see what people think is okay to do & say to their spouse. Which are on the defense & unaccepting, sabotaging their marriage.

• Love 2

It's interesting to see how these people portray themselves because you know that's not how they act with a partner. The "experts" shouldn't be interacting with them as "experts" but as if they were a match to try & see how they'll act as a spouse. I'd rather see their exes interviewed to hear about how they were, like Alyssa's. These introductions are really useless because they don't show if they're crazy or what. Michaela & José didn't seem that crazy. Katina & Jasmina prolly got some crazy going on.

5 hours ago, Lindz said:

What's the problem with someone being unemployed if they have months' or years' worth of savings? I don't get the problem if they're supporting themselves just fine.

I, personally, would not want to spend my savings down while in my 30's because I was laid off and didn't want to try to get another job (granted I couldn't have imagined anything like Covid when I was in my 30's). Savings are supposed to be... for saving. I'm not super financially conservative but this guy is in the prime of his earning years, when you are supposed to be socking away money for retirement, a house, a rainy day, etc. if you can. I know he said he had some consulting work and he didn't really try to find a new job but I would also wonder if he CAN get a job or if for some reason he's unemployable. It's sort of the Jamie Otis/Doug Hehner thing all over again.

YMMV.

• Love 6
On 12/30/2021 at 1:16 PM, NowVoyager said:

The quiet personal trainer seems nice. He sucked me in when he said he wanted to have intelligent conversations with his wife about books.

I think this is theoretical. I wanna see him actually do it. He probably expects the woman to do everything to woo him, like Johnny or Will (of Will & Jasmine). Ugh. If he says he's a sapiosexual... Issa wrap. They both seem quiet & standoffish, how they gunna get it going? Same with Alyssa & Chris.😅😂

So both Lindsey & Alyssa got broken up with while engaged/almost engaged 🤔🤔... FIND THOSE MEN & ASK THEM WHY!!!! I wanna know what the couples' counselor has to say. Just like Pastor Cal calling Michael's sister. I can't believe they don't do that already! & of course he's serious with you Pastor Cal, you're INTERVIEWING him! DUH! Y'all ain't friends! Don't be ridiculous!

• Love 2

Re the unemployed dude.  What kind of work and money are we talking about with him?  Didn't she say she wanted a six figure guy?

Now if he managed to amass a small fortune in the few years between college and now and has invested wisely and is bumming around on earnings ok take a break.  But if he's using principle then time to get your work on!I

Now he's taking how long to do this silly show!  These expert's really know how to pick them!

• Love 2
On 12/30/2021 at 7:06 PM, Elizzikra said:

But... Noi Moy! Like Pepper, I can't decide if that's a plus or a minus!

Doesn’t matter- there isn’t a shot in hell these two stay together.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:41 AM, kristen111 said:

See you next week, lol.

Truer words….. I found myself hate watching. I loathe the experts at this point and guffawed when the said “five for five!” They can get out of here with that nonsense. 
The only ones I have any hope for are Jasmina and Michael. Both seem nice and normal and I can see them finding each other attractive. The rest, meh. Either I don’t think they will find their spouse attractive (Moi and Steve and Alyssa and Chris), they are crazy (Lyndsey) or they are here for the drama and social media exposure (Katina and Olajuwon). Mark the Shark is sincere and fodder for the show. He’s about to get his heart broken because this is going to be a disaster after he waited for them all these years to come back to Boston. There’s my hot take…..I hope I’m wrong, but this show has taught me to keep expectations low…..

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

Doesn’t matter- there isn’t a shot in hell these two stay together.

Truer words….. I found myself hate watching. I loathe the experts at this point and guffawed when the said “five for five!” They can get out of here with that nonsense. 
The only ones I have any hope for are Jasmina and Michael. Both seem nice and normal and I can see them finding each other attractive. The rest, meh. Either I don’t think they will find their spouse attractive (Moi and Steve and Alyssa and Chris), they are crazy (Lyndsey) or they are here for the drama and social media exposure (Katina and Olajuwon). Mark the Shark is sincere and fodder for the show. He’s about to get his heart broken because this is going to be a disaster after he waited for them all these years to come back to Boston. There’s my hot take…..I hope I’m wrong, but this show has taught me to keep expectations low…..

They mismatch on purpose for drama.  They put a tall girl with a short guy.  What I want to know is, what purpose is it to go through their underwear drawers?  What the hell is that?  If I were those girls, i would have put mousetraps in those drawers before they came.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

They mismatch on purpose for drama.  They put a tall girl with a short guy.  What I want to know is, what purpose is it to go through their underwear drawers?  What the hell is that?  If I were those girls, i would have put mousetraps in those drawers before they came.

Pepper’s been doing that since this show began. It serves zero purpose other than a titillating look at people’s chonies? I couldn’t care less. They need to spend more time on background searches and figuring out legit matches and less time looking in underwear drawers and patting themselves on the back….

Edited by Ilovepie
  • Love 8

OLAJ (Pronounced O-Lodge)-USE YOUR INSIDE VOICE! The poor sound guy turning his volume dial from side to side.

Kantina-buy earplugs in bulk on Amazon. Get a hearing test as a baseline to the hearing loss you will have after 8 weeks of marriage to loud mouthed Olaj

Mark the (Baby) Shark (do do, do do do do) broke the code...to get on MAFS on your second pass you need to extreme tan, approximate the looks of a past cast dude (AJ much?) and come off as a homie with references to Nantasket Beach with Ben Affleck's Boston accent. Occupation: Assistant to the Assistant Regional Manager
Lindsey-girl likes being on teevee albeit a show on basic cable...needs to start filling application for JOtis' job...Currently up for grabs

Noi + Moy= Nimoy as in Live long and prosper (that wrote itself)

Steve's not going to think she is pretty enough but she has a banging bod.

Alyssa, looks a tad like Catherine Zeta Jones with a frequently occurring unfortunate double chin.

Surprised Chris hasn't Invisaligned his chompers.

Jasmina was cast as a bride and the "experts" could only dig up Michael! doing the best James Harding impersonation as the only presentable groom for her? She deserves better. Michael talking and emoting will be exercises in pulling teeth. Michael is short and it bugs him how tall Jasmina is.

However, they are the nice couple and will be the peacekeepers for the couples who fight.

Edited by humbleopinion
On 1/2/2022 at 8:00 PM, Ilovepie said:

Pepper’s been doing that since this show began. It serves zero purpose other than a titillating look at people’s chonies? I couldn’t care less. They need to spend more time on background searches and figuring out legit matches and less time looking in underwear drawers and patting themselves on the back….

You are absolutely right.  I believe in meeting someone, getting to know their job, family, their dreams, etc. then going forward and dating.  There has to be something there to go forward.  BTW, what single woman or any woman for that matter doesn’t have pretty underwear and bras?  What does Pepper expect?  I heard on tv that out of all the couples, only twelve have stayed married.  What kind of record is that?  I think we all could do better.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, kristen111 said:

BTW, what single woman or any woman for that matter doesn’t have pretty underwear and bras?

Well, confession: In my entire adult life, including my single days, I never had much lingerie. I only like black and nude underwear in stretch cotton. I have thongs and low rise bikini and zero lace or other adornments. In the early days of my marriage, my husband would occasionally buy stuff for me (us), but I never was into it, and he didn't care that much as long as he was getting his needs met, so to speak. Pepper probably would have been horrified by my drawers. They say absolutely nothing other than that I'm boring and basic. But I have been married for over 20 years, so I don't think underwear is any indicator of your ability to make a relationship work.

If the experts want to get to know the participants, they should spend more time talking to their friends and family and scouring their social media and less time in the fridge and nightstand.

• Love 2
On 12/31/2021 at 8:10 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

The problem is that they showed some things things in the "package" on each couple that weren't shown on the matchmaking episode, and maybe it's because we know so little about them, but these things seemed important to know.  But it's impossible to pick them up if you're FFing or flipping channels--they're embedded. 

This show is diabolical. 

Seriously, for those of you who choose to skip the Kevin Frazier and friends gab-fests, you should definitely find a way to sit through them.  You really get more insight into the participants, and in this one in particular there was more about Alyssa and about Mark that was very interesting.  

Edited by LuvMyShows
On 1/1/2022 at 4:10 PM, Elizzikra said:

I, personally, would not want to spend my savings down while in my 30's because I was laid off and didn't want to try to get another job (granted I couldn't have imagined anything like Covid when I was in my 30's). Savings are supposed to be... for saving. I'm not super financially conservative but this guy is in the prime of his earning years, when you are supposed to be socking away money for retirement, a house, a rainy day, etc. if you can. I know he said he had some consulting work and he didn't really try to find a new job but I would also wonder if he CAN get a job or if for some reason he's unemployable. It's sort of the Jamie Otis/Doug Hehner thing all over again.

YMMV.

I provided an answer to this in another thread but I think he was probably collecting unemployment benefits, which at the time not only included regular unemployment but the additional $600 a week pandemic unemployment for several months, which then turned into an extra $300 a week until well into 2021.  So I think this offset his spending at that time.  And we don't even know the terms of his termination.  Maybe he got a severance package.  He's a software engineer, which in the Boston area is a well paying career with a lot of opportunity.  It's easy to do consulting and make good money temporarily while you're between permanent jobs.  He was probably able to keep up a pretty good income for a while even though technically unemployed.  My guess is he planned all of this out and decided to put off finding a permanent job until he had absolutely had to.  Getting on the show was probably another reason to delay getting a more permanent position so that may also have factored into his decision to continue working on a consultant basis.  Software engineers can work as consultants for years and still make great money and save for retirement.  It's not considered sketchy and a sign of lack of motivation to earn money whatsoever.

I am glad I did all my traveling from my 20s-40s because look at the world now.  My friends who had kids and put off spending on travel now have nowhere to go because of the pandemic and keep canceling their trips every year.  

On 12/29/2021 at 11:28 PM, buttersister said:

They matched this once-rejected guy with a woman? WTAF?

A391A67C-3EF8-4EAC-9828-A6236C5ABC87.jpeg

On 12/30/2021 at 2:43 AM, kikicat said:

Just the slogan a new bride wants to see on her stranger-husband.

Or is it the MAFS experts catch phrase?

STRIKE FIRST

STRIKE OUT

DIVORCE FAST

Mark the Shark had not one but two different Cobra Kai-themed t-shirts. (It’s a Karate Kid reboot on Netflix, for those who may not be aware.) The fact that he identifies as Cobra Kai is a red flag. This is equivalent to 10-15 years ago when people identified as Slythern. If he identified as Miagi Do (like Gryffendor), then okay. But Lindsey is a wildcard and would probably be an Eagle Fang…I don’t know the Harry Potter equivalent of that.

3 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Mark the Shark had not one but two different Cobra Kai-themed t-shirts. (It’s a Karate Kid reboot on Netflix, for those who may not be aware.) The fact that he identifies as Cobra Kai is a red flag. This is equivalent to 10-15 years ago when people identified as Slythern. If he identified as Miagi Do (like Gryffendor), then okay. But Lindsey is a wildcard and would probably be an Eagle Fang…I don’t know the Harry Potter equivalent of that.

I appreciate this post-- but I wish I understood it. Color me Out of the Loop!!

• LOL 2