Type keyword(s) to search

S37.E18: Night of Mistakes

shantown
  • Start Topic

TJ's shocking twist sends the players into a panic as they battle for survival before the final; one player finds themselves on blast for trying to help another player during a tight elimination.

Airs 12/08/21 (8:00-9:33pm) on MTV

Well, 2 for 2 in bad choices in the lair.   I’m glad things didn’t get dragged out and they went straight to the final in this episode.   

Laughing at Devin bragging about his puzzle prowess when CT smoked him on the first one.  As for Nany, she was still dead last even with CT’s finished map to cheat off.  

• Love 9

1) Amanda, Amanda, Amanda... as much as I liked watching her this season, she did not make the smartest move. She made a decision based on emotion because she couldn't do that to her friends, the same friends that just voted her into elimination. I thought she would have chosen Nany.

2) Nelson is a fucking idiot. He's very angry and hostile for reasons that have nothing to do with him. Additionally, the hostility toward Tori for hoping Emanuel would say his name is unwarranted because HE LITERALLY JUST VOTED FOR TORI TO GO INTO ELIMINATION. FUCK THAT NOISE!

Secondly, I'll let Nelson be proud of himself for putting together a map. I don't consider a map as a puzzle but if it makes him feel good... ok.

3) If Tori is not picking a side and wants "both people to win" an elimination, the best thing to do in that scenario is say nothing. Don't help anyone. Don't choose a side. Say nothing.

4) The slowest people at puzzles and math end up on the same team! Wow!

5) How do you cheat off of someone else's map and still get it incorrect? And how do you still come in last?

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 8

Emy is too much.  TOO MUCH.

Damn you for being annoying, Tori, because you made me root for Amanda of all things, which I am very unhappy about.  That battle really made it clear just how tiny Amanda is.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, angelamh66 said:

Nany seems like a well-liked person, but I’m tired of watching her ride other’s coattails in the game. It used to be Bananas and now it’s Kasey. 

This is why I need new people. I LOVE Nany. I hope desperately that she wins one of these someday. However, the same people coming back season after season tend to do the boring and safe things. In a game of completely new people, I think we would get bolder game play.

Nany plays it safe season after season. I hate it. I am of the belief that she doesn't win because she plays a scared game. She takes no risks. She'll run a final with a group of people that can beat her because she "don't want no smoke." The only season where she didn't play a scared game was her first season. The first season, every comes for the fun, and second season they come for the money. After her first season, she only plays a safe and quiet game. Players like Johnny Bananas, Wes, Jordan and Laurel are usually targets as soon as they come in the house. It's impossible for them to play quiet games. Nany has never really been anyone's target. If she is a target. it's because she chose the wrong alliance rather than being an actual threat in the game.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 4

Yeah on both puzzles, there were intact puzzles left for the stragglers to copy and they couldn't do it fast enough.

Immanuel would never have figured out the numbers puzzle if Tori didn't give him hints.

Obviously they've studied puzzles and the number one was familiar to a few of them.

I don't know if they timed the individuals up to the time they grouped into Cells.  CT assumed that might be the case, because he sprinted when he could.

Are they still in Croatia?  With the pandemic, they probably didn't go to another location for the Final.

Also, CT didn't say how the money would be split.  When they started out as individuals, people might have assumed it was winner take all, only one winner.

CT didn't say it would be split, or if second place would take some small token amount of the prize.  I guess that will be in part II.

Surprised there hasn't been an eating challenge yet.

3 hours ago, AntFTW said:

1) Amanda, Amanda, Amanda... as much as I liked watching her this season, she did not make the smartest move. She made a decision based on emotion because she couldn't do that to her friends, the same friends that just voted her into elimination. I thought she would have chosen Nany.

2) Nelson is a fucking idiot. He's very angry and hostile for reasons that have nothing to do with him. Additionally, the hostility toward Tori for hoping Emanuel would say his name is unwarranted because HE LITERALLY JUST VOTED FOR TORI TO GO INTO ELIMINATION. FUCK THAT NOISE!

Secondly, I'll let Nelson be proud of himself for putting together a map. I don't consider a map as a puzzle but if it makes him feel good... ok.

3) If Tori is not picking a side and wants "both people to win" an elimination, the best thing to do in that scenario is say nothing. Don't help anyone. Don't choose a side. Say nothing.

4) The slowest people at puzzles and math end up on the same team! Wow!

5) How do you cheat off of someone else's map and still get it incorrect? And how do you still come in last?

On the second part, I do not know for sure but I thought I heard Tori whisper to Nelson that Amanda was going to call her out anyway. Basically, giving him an out so he can give Amanda a pity vote. It was clear he was wavering. She knew his vote was a throwaway. She started off the voting with Nelson which could have fucked him over if people followed suit. One was a throwaway. The other was not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Nelly plays with emotion too much. He's a physical beast, but the connections to others keeps getting in his way. It will be interesting to see how he does in the final. 

For someone that turned off RW: Paris because that CT guy was so annoying, I find myself pulling for him this final. I don't know if it's his age, his new demeanor or wanting someone else to compete with John Bananas as the best player, but I'm all for the old guy this final. 

Amanda...you made the only choice you felt you could make, but I'm not sure there's anything she would have beaten Tori in at the end. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Racj82 said:

On the second part, I do not know for sure but I thought I heard Tori whisper to Nelson that Amanda was going to call her out anyway. Basically, giving him an out so he can give Amanda a pity vote. It was clear he was wavering. She knew his vote was a throwaway. She started off the voting with Nelson which could have fucked him over if people followed suit. One was a throwaway. The other was not.

To me, that makes no difference even if that was the case that Tori gave Nelson an out. Nelson still voted for Tori to go in. Once a name is out there, that could always gain more traction as more people say that name. There is no certainty in voting. Every person after Nelson could have voted for Tori, then it would have been a tie between Amanda and Tori. Nelson would vote for any girl there before Amanda. Nelson and Amanda have always been close. 

Additionally, I’m not so sure that Tori was talking directly to Nelson or giving him “an out.” She could have just stated a concern out loud that even if she gets past this vote, Amanda is gonna call her down anyway. Tori was looking in every direction as she was talking about Amanda picking her. She looked in Devin’s direction, she looked straight ahead and she looked in Nelson’s direction. Also, she basically says by getting angry back at Nelson that Nelson has no right to be mad for wanting Emanuel to pick him because Nelson voted for her. That doesn’t seem like Tori  gave Nelson an out at all.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, AncientNewbie said:

Amanda...you made the only choice you felt you could make, but I'm not sure there's anything she would have beaten Tori in at the end. 

I think if Amanda and Tori had the puzzle elimination that Devin and Emanuel had, Amanda could have won. Tori says she practices her math and puzzles to improve for when she comes on the show. Perhaps, Tori could have won also but it would have been an even playing field.

• Love 2

I really thought that Amanda was going to pick Nany, seemed like the smarter choice. I think she regretted picking Tori as soon as she heard the game. She sounded so defeated when talking about the elimination. When Torie picked up Amanda and was carrying her to the ball, I was laughing and I think I heard TJ laughing too. I'm not the biggest fan of Amanda. If she was as smart as she wants us to believe, and the money was SO important to her, she would have picked Nany and t would have been a more fair fight, although I think Nany still would have beat her. TJ seems to have a soft spot for Amanda? What is happening. 

I wanted Emmanuel to pick Devin, as all around Devin and Kyle were his best bet. Tori and Nelson fighting after the pickings, like shut up, it's not about you. Remember when Devin was mad at Tori for putting herself first when she switched to Ruby? I thought it was funny Devin had to change clothes to do a puzzle elimination. Had Emmanuel picked Devin over Logan first, Emmanuel would have won and probably would have picked Kyle for this elimination, or maybe Logan. Laughing at Tori helping Emmanuel, which did not help Devin, then arguing loudly with Nelson, which was also not helping Devil. Wanted Emmanuel to win though. Respect to Devin for refusing help on the 2nd math puzzle. 

Are all the less athletic people really smart, or do they just claim this because they are less athletic. I'm not as impressed with Devin as he wants me to be I guess. He did, however, finish his wire puzzle first. I was kind of surprised CT joined his cell. I wonder if Nelson was there first, would CT have joined him, or waited for Devin. There was also the possibility that CT would get the other cell and then Kyle would come running up and then join CT. Oh the possibilities. I don't trust editing. Who knows the time difference between all the checkpoints. 

The first leg of the final pretty much went the way I thought CT, Nelson, Tori out in front, Emy and Nany in the back. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

I really thought that Amanda was going to pick Nany, seemed like the smarter choice. I think she regretted picking Tori as soon as she heard the game. She sounded so defeated when talking about the elimination. When Torie picked up Amanda and was carrying her to the ball, I was laughing and I think I heard TJ laughing too. I'm not the biggest fan of Amanda. If she was as smart as she wants us to believe, and the money was SO important to her, she would have picked Nany and t would have been a more fair fight, although I think Nany still would have beat her. TJ seems to have a soft spot for Amanda? What is happening. 

1. Amanda didn't quit. TJ will always support you if you genuinely try.

2. She been getting the strong mom edit all season. They were not going to trash her under that narrative.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The choice of the elimination games really gave a big edge to one of the competitors.

It can't be that they determined ahead of time that the women would do the more physical challenge and the men would do the puzzles, can it?

And both were easy to set up, so it's not like they couldn't have flipped them or even have some other type of game.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, LaurelleJ said:

I really thought that Amanda was going to pick Nany, seemed like the smarter choice. I think she regretted picking Tori as soon as she heard the game. She sounded so defeated when talking about the elimination. When Torie picked up Amanda and was carrying her to the ball, I was laughing and I think I heard TJ laughing too. I'm not the biggest fan of Amanda.

TJ laughing made me laugh.

If she was as smart as she wants us to believe, and the money was SO important to her, she would have picked Nany and t would have been a more fair fight, although I think Nany still would have beat her. TJ seems to have a soft spot for Amanda? What is happening. 

I also thought she would have, and perhaps should have, picked Nany. I understand she doesn't want to put people who she considers 'friends' in elimination. From my perspective, if my 'friends' vote for me, then my 'friends' are not off limits.

Tori and Nelson fighting after the pickings, like shut up, it's not about you.

I have so many feelings about this. It was so unnecessary. I felt Nelson had no reason to come at Tori the way he did. I felt he had no reason to be mad but what else do you expect from Nelson. He's always looking for something to be mad about. He didn't have to ask Tori who she would rather Emanuel have picked instead of Devin but he did. At that point, it didn't matter what Tori wanted because Nelson wasn't going into elimination regardless. Emanuel had already made his choice, which was not Nelson. Nelson didn't have to get mad at Tori helping Emanuel because it didn't affect Nelson at all.

Had Emmanuel picked Devin over Logan first, Emmanuel would have won and probably would have picked Kyle for this elimination, or maybe Logan.

I think Logan picked Emanuel.

Are all the less athletic people really smart, or do they just claim this because they are less athletic.

🤣🤣🤣

I was kind of surprised CT joined his cell. I wonder if Nelson was there first, would CT have joined him, or waited for Devin. There was also the possibility that CT would get the other cell and then Kyle would come running up and then join CT.

I kinda think that CT joined Devin because there are no surprises. He doesn't have to wonder who is the next guy to come down the path and get stuck with someone he definitely doesn't want.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I think Logan picked Emanuel.

You're right. Oh my goodness my brain. In my mind I know this, and I jumbled my names hehe. What I should have said was that had Logan picked Devin over Emmanuel, Logan would have won, and then they would have voted and it would have probably been Emmanuel chosen because they will stick with rookies. Maybe Emmanuel would have chosen Kyle, since Logan didn't choose him the first time. 

• Love 2

CT joined Devin because he knew that checkpoints are the most important aspect of the finals and the reason he has won them.  He knows the  only person close to him with puzzles is Devin so by being on the same team he ensures the other team will not be able to beat them. He also knows if it comes to something physical within the team he can beat Devin the easiest.

Not sure if this was posted already but I didn't see it upthread, but Amanda went live on her OnlyFans after the show and said she was leaving either way. Apparently she got court approved leave through July 1st.  However due to the extra 2 weeks in quarantine, the show ran over and if she did not return on that date, custody would be given to her baby daddy which she did not want.  She was in contact with her lawyers and said they didn't know an extension could be granted or not.  She said production and the whole house knew she was planning to leave regardless and she asked to be put in. She said she thinks originally the puzzle was going to be for the women but when they knew she was leaving they switched up the eliminations.  That also is why TJ gave her that nice send off because they knew what she was going through and how it was for her.  I think she kinda tried on the first round thinking she would do her best and if she happened to pull off a win she would let Tori take the next 2 but when she lost the first, she just did not try as hard on the second. You could tell the lack of effort on the 2nd round for sure. She gave up easily.

I didn't hear it myself and have no clue how much of this is true, but that is what she is claiming and would explain some of what happened with regards to everyone voting for Amanda over a rookie and also with how TJ reacted to her leaving.

I just wanted to add that I don't mean permanent custody would be given to baby daddy but that the baby would be given to him at least temporarily and she would have to fight to get him back.  The baby was staying with her friend or relative from what I understand and the father had visitation only.

Edited by Unclejosh
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Wonder if the producers appreciate her telling on them, especially if it's true that they switched up the eliminations.

And if she has an OnlyFans following, maybe she's making a good enough income outside the show.

But keep doing the show, make yourself noticed with outlandish statements or actions, get more followers, FTW.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Unclejosh said:

CT joined Devin because he knew that checkpoints are the most important aspect of the finals and the reason he has won them.  He knows the  only person close to him with puzzles is Devin so by being on the same team he ensures the other team will not be able to beat them. He also knows if it comes to something physical within the team he can beat Devin the easiest.

This is a great strategy. I except nothing less from Uncle CT. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Unclejosh said:

I was thinking the same. I made the comment upthread that the slowest people at math and puzzles ended up on the same team. Obviously, I can't read CT's mind but I was thinking that he definitely wouldn't want Nelson and Kyle because they are not the fastest at puzzles and math. Teamed with Devin, they have all the brain power for the checkpoints. The other team is nothing but work horses which is not useful at checkpoints.

Also, Devin finishing first made CT's decision easier. Imagine Kyle or Nelson being the first to finish instead of Devin and CT having to decide if he wants to be on their team. I imagine hilarity in that scenario.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LaurelleJ said:

This is a great strategy. I except nothing less from Uncle CT. 

58 minutes ago, AntFTW said:

I was thinking the same. I made the comment upthread that the slowest people at math and puzzles ended up on the same team. Obviously, I can't read CT's mind but I was thinking that he definitely wouldn't want Nelson and Kyle because they are not the fastest at puzzles and math. Teamed with Devin, they have all the brain power for the checkpoints. The other team is nothing but work horses which is not useful at checkpoints.

Also, Devin finishing first made CT's decision easier. Imagine Kyle or Nelson being the first to finish instead of Devin and CT having to decide if he wants to be on their team. I imagine hilarity in that scenario.

OTOH, the previews showed them doing more climbing.

So fitness may matter more relative to puzzle solving on the latter part of the Final.

Doesn't the second leg of Finals usually involve just running to the finish?  Though people who get to the last checkpoint before the last race up some mountain usually get some time advantage.

• Love 1
Just now, aghst said:

OTOH, the previews showed them doing more climbing.

So fitness may matter more relative to puzzle solving on the latter part of the Final.

Doesn't the second leg of Finals usually involve just running to the finish?  Though people who get to the last checkpoint before the last race up some mountain usually get some time advantage.

I don't disagree but I'm thinking that in teams of 4, there is plenty of room for people to mess up. Anybody can be an anchor, even the people who are gym rats and train everyday.

Also, I just have a feeling that the final winner(s) won't be teams. I find it odd that they didn't break down the prize money unless I missed it. If I didn't miss it, maybe TJ will announce it after the final elimination that was mentioned in the trailer for next week.

• Love 1

Yeah I noted that as well, no breakdown of prizes.

It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't know at the time of filming.  Maybe they look at who's left and then decide.

The women clearly struggled up that mountain before that wire puzzle so if the last leg(s) are also going uphill, then it wouldn't be fair to make it winner take all.

I think there's been one season where men and women competed for one overall winner?  That was the year Cara Maria won it all as they ran back and forth between a puzzle and a key and it looked like long distances but it was mostly flat ground or not some steep mountain.

So I'm guessing it will at least be split two ways (unless they allow one to take the other' winnings again) and they will eliminate even numbers of men and women.  Probably one of each so you end up with 3 male/female pairs and the prize winner will be from the 3 couples.

I know CT is great at these things and I generally like him, but I wasn't crazy about him claiming that Emmanuel has coasted. Emmanuel had been in more eliminations than literally every other male except Kyle and has won more dailies than Nelson. He could have just left it at "Emmanuel is a rookie and unlikely to call me into elimination." 

• Love 1

In classic Emy style, Emy makes Emanuel's elimination all about her.   And the way she carried on in the helicopter!  Good thing I wasn't seated beside her.  Some temptations are too great. 

It's aggravating to see underwhelming players (Devin, Emy, Nany, Nelson) going so far this season.   They're like an invasive species released into an environment where all the upper food chain predators have gone away or been removed.

This has been a lousy season.   From the boring international cast and lame spies theme, to the JV team of vets and Ashley's premature removal.  Just ugh.

I did have to laugh at how "typical Tori" is becoming a catch-phrase.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3

At this point, I'm thinking the check has been made out to CT before the final mission started. What other ending could there be? It's not like Rob Mariano getting Russell Hantz, eighteen players of varying dumbness and a safety net he never needed in Survivor: Redemption Island. And I don't think he's that comparable to Johnny, in that being insufferable isn't his primary hook. The editing just doesn't give us any of the veterans finally breaking through for their first title, or Emy possibly getting $1 million in her first outing.

Side Note: I don't read many recaps, but there's one from a guy I know on Facebook. Here's his recap of the latest episode. At one point, he goes over what's at stake for each player, and he ends it on Emy:

Emy makes the Final as a rookie. If she wins, she will spend her earnings on the best damn Alien-themed birthday you could imagine.

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

The Cell "twist" at the end was annoying, but I see where it's going. Those that complete the next stage in the winning cell move on. Losers compete in two final Lairs. In the end, six people would be running for $1 million (or a share thereof). I'm good with that.

About picking opponents for the Lair . . . can't we all agree that it's a huge crapshoot? You can pick someone that you're better than in most areas, and you could still lose. I'm not a fan of the wannabe Nandor, but I don't think Emanuel should get crap for choosing Devin. Well, he shouldn't get that much crap.

• LOL 2

I feel like I say this every week, but I just can't with Emy. She's way to over the top. I was actually smiling at everyone's happy reactions to hearing they were going to the final. Cut to Emy, bent over on the ground, crying her eyes out. I can't with her constant screaming about "Romania! My mother! My grandmother!" I would have cheered for Nany if she pushed her out of the helicopter. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 5