Type keyword(s) to search

Holmes Family Rescue - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Mike Holmes has some good-looking offspring. His son is really hot! 😏 

Maybe one should do some research before hiring a contractor, hmm? Did they really think they could get all that work done for $25,000? 
I had never heard of a cold room before. What state were they in? I generally liked the decorating choices. That kid’s room was adorbs, but I wouldn’t put much stuff within reach of a toddler on that storage board. I loved the area rug in the movie room.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Mike Holmes has some good-looking offspring. His son is really hot! 😏 

Maybe one should do some research before hiring a contractor, hmm? Did they really think they could get all that work done for $25,000? 
I had never heard of a cold room before. What state were they in? I generally liked the decorating choices. That kid’s room was adorbs, but I wouldn’t put much stuff within reach of a toddler on that storage board. I loved the area rug in the movie room.

They are not here in the US. Apparently a cold room is quite common in Canada. I've seen them in numerous basements that Mike has refurbished over the years. Mike Jr. is quite a handsome young man. The children's playroom turned out sweet and that snack cart for movie night was really nicely done. Something I disliked was the word on the wall and the word in tile on the bathroom floor. Personally, I just think it's tacky.

• Love 3

A cold room or root cellar in the basement was common in the northern US too pre WWII — usually under the front porch. They were designed for storing food and preserves when there wasn't much space in the "icebox" in the kitchen. In New England, "spring houses" kept stored food cool year 'round.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 2

My grandparents' house in Pennsylvania in the mountains had a cold cellar (a stone box in the floor of the cellar to keep milk and other things in), and a spring house that held items under cold spring water for the same reason, to keep food from spoiling.  

I love how Holmes and his kids help fix dangerous issues with houses.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

Was episode 2 one hour or two hours?  My recording cut off at one hour in the middle of Mike talking.  They weren't finished with the first house and just started the second house.

It was listed on my DVR as an hour, but I watched it in real time and it only lasted an hour. 

On 12/12/2021 at 6:56 PM, KeithJ said:

Was episode 2 one hour or two hours?  My recording cut off at one hour in the middle of Mike talking.  They weren't finished with the first house and just started the second house.

On  one of their other series,  first project is completed during the next episode,   with 2nd project  started during  first, end then   will be completed  in next episode as well with another new project started during it.

In other words, each project is usually done over 2 episodes

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2

So on the holiday decorating challenge, Mike Jr. and Lisa moved out to the country, on some acreage,  Sherry and boyfriend or husband live in a house that looks like Mike Jr.'s old house that was redone and with the second story added in town, and Mike Sr and Anne (or Annie) live in a beautiful house on some acres too.    Mike Sr. had presents for a bunch of people just going in the trades to help in their profession, Sherry had a party for the one child's day care group, or at least some of them, and Mike Jr.'s place was beautiful.      They all knocked it out of the park.    I really liked Mike Sr. and partner's decorations.    

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojito said:

Where does this family live? It was warm after Thanksgiving at night.

The show was too OTT for me; I kinda felt embarrassed for them.

They live in Canada. Maybe near Toronto? I have the feeling that the show was filmed in late summer, early fall. I wonder how Sherry's "snow tunnel" looked after that rainstorm. 🤣 She seemed more into it than her brother and father.

It was definitely way OTT. I doubt it was Mike Holmes' idea. Probably producer or network driven for a Christmas special.

• Love 2
On 12/20/2021 at 6:44 PM, mojito said:

Where does this family live? It was warm after Thanksgiving at night.

The show was too OTT for me; I kinda felt embarrassed for them.

I didn't particularly care for this episode.

However, remember that Canada has a different Thanksgiving than we do in the US.  This year it was on October 11.

• Love 2

Little Noah asked the same thing I did about the living room: “Where is the TV?” 😆 The accessibility modifications were fantastic, and Noah’s room with the space ship mural and the voice commands was amazing. 
Michael’s pink blazer! WTF, dude? 😆

On 1/9/2022 at 4:20 PM, KeithJ said:

I really don't care for the format they went with with this show.

I want to see one renovation per episode.  Not half and half.

Seriously. The bouncing back and forth is irritating. I otherwise like the series.

• Love 3
On 1/15/2022 at 10:18 PM, LittleIggy said:

Seriously. The bouncing back and forth is irritating. I otherwise like the series.

We didn't even see the reveal on the racer girl's house yesterday.  They stretched hers out over three episodes now.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, KeithJ said:

We didn't even see the reveal on the racer girl's house yesterday.  They stretched hers out over three episodes now.

Same as with the house that was adapted for the boy in a wheelchair.

• Love 1

They might being doing the 2 projects simultaneously over 2 episodes because that's closer to how they do it in real life? (Rather than 1 project at a time.)

Or maybe it's just a cliffhanger type gimmick to try and keep viewers.

That stupid having the guys wear a imitation pregnant belly may be the most useless timewaster I've ever seen on HGTV.  I bailed and escaped to the garage.

Edited by pep4
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, pep4 said:

That stupid having the guys wear a imitation pregnant belly may be the most useless timewaster I've ever seen on HGTV.  I bailed and escaped to the garage.

That was so dumb. If they simply dropped Sherry from the show I wouldn't miss her a bit.

• Love 2
On 2/12/2022 at 11:53 PM, pep4 said:

...may be the most useless timewaster I've ever seen on HGTV

You must be new to HGTV. Those three minutes are nothing compared to some of the shows they've had over the years. And they took up a lot more time.

I'm okay with the new format.

I'm jealous of those two ladies who have that nice place out in the semi-country.

• Love 3
On 2/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, mojito said:

You must be new to HGTV. Those three minutes are nothing compared to some of the shows they've had over the years. And they took up a lot more time.

I'm okay with the new format.

I'm jealous of those two ladies who have that nice place out in the semi-country.

I like the format as well. Seeing Mike’s approach to different projects in the same episode is interesting. And different from the typical HGTV flipping shows. 

On 2/13/2022 at 9:50 AM, CruiseDiva said:

That was so dumb. If they simply dropped Sherry from the show I wouldn't miss her a bit.

Oh I like Sherry. I just wish they gave her more to do. I know she’s busy with a newborn and a two-year-old, but even before that, she didn’t do much.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I hope the original "contractor" lost his license.  That house was a dangerous mess.

Seriously! That's the worst I've ever seen on the Holmes shows. 

• Like 1

Loved the backyard with the pool. And their former contractor took their money and just left. I hope Karma takes care of him. I loved the bright colors the designer chose. It's a happy cherry backyard to come out to. My only complaint (or what I would have changed) is to add a covered area. I don't like to sit in the sun.  One question. The homeowners said their original contractor said there was a 2-3 year wait for a pool. Wtf. That has to be crap because Mike got one right away.  Also loved the redo of their driveway. Very pretty. 

Loved Shari's face when she was running the crane. She was definitely in her element. 😂

Next week we get the reveal of the city house. 

• Like 1
On 6/28/2023 at 1:05 AM, sheetmoss said:

That contractor who did that to that house s/b in jail

The electrician at the very least should lose his license

Didn't Mike say that he had reported the guy to some board, or something like that?  Something about being reported to that agency was very serious.  I didn't catch exactly what he said, but I had the idea that there had been follow-through.  I certainly hope so.

• Like 3

I don't care for the designer (Lisa?) working on the small bungalow (she's the tiny one with short curly hair).  She just irritates me with her attitude.  

I'm curious though how they will manage to make the bungalow seem bigger with such a small footprint.  How did they raise kids in that house?  The couple has a *lot* of crap stuff they have accumulated over the years.

• Like 2
On 8/4/2023 at 9:46 AM, roughing it said:

I don't care for the designer (Lisa?) working on the small bungalow (she's the tiny one with short curly hair).  She just irritates me with her attitude.  

I'm curious though how they will manage to make the bungalow seem bigger with such a small footprint.  How did they raise kids in that house?  The couple has a *lot* of crap stuff they have accumulated over the years.

It was common. My parents raised 5 of us in a similar sized house in the 60’s-70’s. My father built an extra bedroom in the basement, years later a bathroom and there was a good sized family room down there. Smaller kitchens were the norm and bathrooms were tiny. There was no such thing as a walk-in closet either. People just had less stuff. Certainly fewer clothes.

I am curious to see the finished product. It seems they are sacrificing a couple of rooms to make a bedroom with an ensuite and a walk in closet. And there will be an open living room kitchen combo. There is only so much they can do but that house is still worth close to  a million in Toronto these days.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

Through all of the episodes of Holmes shows, over several TV series, I'm still disgusted with the shoddy work that purported professionals get away with.   The bad contractors endanger lives, steal money, and stay in business somehow.  

• Like 6
On 8/4/2023 at 10:46 AM, roughing it said:

Watched last night and found out her name is Kimmberly.  2 m's.  And she still irritates me.

• Like 4

I guess I don't understand why they needed a 2-sided fireplace.  The second side was in the hallway.  And I didn't really see why the designer was so up in arms about her signature wall in the shower having to be interrupted with the fixtures.  I didn't see how they got around that issue.

• Like 1

I didn't like the two sided fireplace at all.  The wall it was in made the tiny living room smaller, and the back of the fireplace was useless.   I think the only solution to the house issues would have been an addition, but that probably wasn't affordable. 

• Like 1