Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Thankful

secnarf
  • Start Topic

Cop Joe navigates a tense Thanksgiving dinner with his family. Music Joe battles his feelings of betrayal to help Amy's campaign. Nurse Joe and Jenny decide to hire outside help for Chris as they prepare for their first Thanksgiving apart.

Original air date: Nov 22 2021.

Totally non-shocker with Amy being pregnant. And it must be Bobby's because Joe had that line about how long it's been since he had sex. Although, didn't we seeing him and Amy having sex earlier in the season?

I think the actors are all really good, because I'm starting to see them as different people. Except Joe's mother, she seems the same in all three universes.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Totally non-shocker with Amy being pregnant. And it must be Bobby's because Joe had that line about how long it's been since he had sex. Although, didn't we seeing him and Amy having sex earlier in the season?

Be more specific. In the Cop timeline or the Rocker timeline?

• Love 2

It’s pretty clear that this show has no legal advisor. First, Jenny starts law school in November. Now, she finds an appealable judicial error in a deposition. She should have said she found something in the trial transcript. And WTF couldn’t she have told Professor Stick Up Her Ass that she was going to talk for a few minutes to her husband and son on Thanksgiving, for crying out loud, and excused herself to make the call? 🙄

Cop Joe: Wow, Celeste and Uncle Frank really harshed that Thanksgiving mellow.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 11/21/2021 at 9:16 PM, Kiddvideo said:

Uh-oh. I’m predicting an attraction between Nurse Joe and Chris’s health aide.

Also Jenny and the law partner from her old law firm......Jenny will cheat on Nurse Joe before he does with the care giver 

• Love 7

Of course Amy is pregnant now, and of course the baby will be Bobby's. The theme of the episode was awkward Thanksgiving dinners, with Nurse Joe having the least awkward and Cop Joe having by far the most awkward. Celeste and especially Uncle Frank really came in there looking to make this meal as miserable as possible, running into a burning building probably seemed like a step up for Joe's night after that. Cop Uncle Frank was being a real dick, yes how dare Joe try to do his job and arrest someone who committed crimes, he should feel lucky that all he got was paid leave. Cop Joe and Amy are still my favorite couple. 

Oh no, now Jenny is back with her work husband right when Joe meets a cute aid who's going to be at the house, its like a race to see who can cheat first. 

Interesting seeing the three versions of Celeste, she's got wine aunt energy in all three timelines but you can see how things changed in every version. Especially in Rockstar Joe timeline where he can help finance her business and she has a glamourous Instastar vibe, while her Cop Joe self is seriously bitter. 

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Oh no, now Jenny is back with her work husband right when Joe meets a cute aid who's going to be at the house, its like a race to see who can cheat first. 

I thought the same!  I hope the season doesn't end on a cliffhanger, especially on cheating spouses!

34 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Interesting seeing the three versions of Celeste, she's got wine aunt energy in all three timelines but you can see how things changed in every version. Especially in Rockstar Joe timeline where he can help finance her business and she has a glamourous Instastar vibe, while her Cop Joe self is seriously bitter. 

Both she and Uncle Frank exuded bitterness.  Are they going with Papa Kimbreau  being an abusive dad?  Can't anyone have a relatively happy family dynamic anymore?  Not everyone was molested or beaten as a child.  Maybe there wasn't a daily serving of rainbows and unicorns, but there should be some middle ground.

37 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Interesting seeing the three versions of Celeste, she's got wine aunt energy in all three timelines but you can see how things changed in every version.

She seems to strike me as the TV version of what they think a "free spirit" should be - especially in the Rocker timeline in which she got to have her own business thanks to Joe.  There was always talk of her traveling and not being around much.

Now that Rocker Amy is pregnant, will we find out for sure who the baby daddy is?  If it's Diaz, I think Joe's patience will be at its limits and he might give Amy the boot!  The tears during his performance shows how truly hurt he was by her act of infidelity.  I also think Amy needs to withdraw from the race.  You can't win when you're running against a dead congressman's widow and her knowing you slept with him shortly before he died!

The more of this show I see, the less compatible Joe and Jenny are.  Too many opportunities to be with other people who are nicer and might be a better fit.  Nothing seems to suggest they are "best friends" who should be married.  If Christopher had died during the time Nurse Joe and Jenny were raising him, they'd have gone their separate ways long ago.

Speaking of the Nurse Joe timeline, that male nurse/attendant gave me the creeps!  Seeing him touch Chris' hand gave me molester vibes!

• Love 4

Not many people watching or too soon to post? I watch this on peacock so I don't know when it airs. Monday nights ? 

I just catch it when nothing else is on. How's the show doing in general? Do we think it'll survive another season?

4 hours ago, magicdog said:

Both she and Uncle Frank exuded bitterness.  Are they going with Papa Kimbreau  being an abusive dad?  Can't anyone have a relatively happy family dynamic anymore?  Not everyone was molested or beaten as a child.  Maybe there wasn't a daily serving of rainbows and unicorns, but there should be some middle ground.

I wondered if she was alluding to abuse, though all she said was about him having a temper and yelling and screaming.  It wouldn't be surprising if he was, since tv show cops frequently have problems with alcohol and anger management.  But we don't have enough information to know if he was sexually abusive, physically, or just verbally.

• Love 2

Of course we called Amy being pregnant by her dead boyfriend. It's interesting that Amy didn't give a crap about Rocker Joe before, never told him when she was throwing a party at THEIR HOUSE and ignored him pretty much all the time. But now that her boyfriend's dead, she's all "Oh, Joe, I love you SO MUCH." I call BS on that and hope Joe kicks her ass out, and soon. *slamming door* Bye Amy.

Are family holiday dinners always so horrible? They are on tv, and everyone IRL talks about how miserable they are having to spend time with extended family. As someone else posted, Cop Joe probably felt running into a burning building with no protection was better than spending more time at that terrible family dinner.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Be more specific. In the Cop timeline or the Rocker timeline?

Rocker timeline, where she cheated on Joe after miscarrying his baby.

2 hours ago, PBnJay said:

Are family holiday dinners always so horrible? They are on tv, and everyone IRL talks about how miserable they are having to spend time with extended family. As someone else posted, Cop Joe probably felt running into a burning building with no protection was better than spending more time at that terrible family dinner.

I actually like holiday dinners with my extended family. I've only occasionally seen family members have big fights like they put on TV.

19 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

It’s pretty clear that this show has no legal advisor. First, Jenny starts law school in November. Now, she finds an appealable judicial error in a deposition. She should have said she found something in the trial transcript. And WTF couldn’t she have told Professor Stick Up Her Ass that she was going to talk for a few minutes to her husband and son on Thanksgiving, for crying out loud, and excused herself to make the call? 🙄

Cop Joe: Wow, Celeste and Uncle Frank really harshed that Thanksgiving mellow.

Also, would a team of lawyers really be doing all that work on Thanksgiving? Courts would be closed, and it didn't seem like there was a trial starting Monday or something that was time sensitive. Why make everyone miss their holiday?

• Love 5

1. This episode illustrated why this should would be much... easier with two timelines. It's cool seeing it, but it felt like too much.

2. I am guessing with Celeste, the father was like quite a few cops and had anger management issues, maybe did some corporal punishment because "that's how he was raised and he turned out fine"

3. I hate how this show only portrayed the male aide as creepy/weird. It's one reason why men are seen as "weird" if they try to enter a profession that has them in close contact such as teaching or nursing. They could have just as easily had him be the old lady who gave him a nap time instead.

4. If this cliffhanger ends up with Cop Joe dead, hats off to the show for doing that - it would be pretty shocking for it to happen, but the writers would show off their massive balls - network shows don't tend to do that

• Love 3
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

4. If this cliffhanger ends up with Cop Joe dead, hats off to the show for doing that - it would be pretty shocking for it to happen, but the writers would show off their massive balls - network shows don't tend to do that

I would love to see that because it would at least get rid of some of the bad acting. But they won't. Joe will be a hero again. 

Rocker Joe is a big baby. Betrayal hurt but sulking and then breaking down during a performance is ridiculous. And then the whole family have to cuddle him. Pretty pathetic. Amy's baby is Joe's and he will end up forgiving her. The actress continues to impress with the bad acting. The bar is so low, I don't think she can get worse.

The kid is annoying. I love when disabled people are hired and when disabilities are portrayed realistically but he is too perfect, too "angelic". Make him real. They did the same on the show 911, the disabled kid is about the same age, I guess, and they keep picking him up as if he is a toddler, something that a non-disabled kid would not allow people to do. 

I don't think nurse Joe will have an affair with the home aide. I think she will turn out to be a creepy stalker type, and Jenny will be have a revenge affair with her co-worker. Basically, recycled story from the Rocker Joe timeline. 

Yeah, no surprise Rocker Amy got pregnant by a now dead Bobby. It gives her the excuse to keep the baby, especially with her fertility issues, and she almost certainly will give birth to this child that Joe will probably help care for, probably for reasons that he never got to raise his own child and doesn't want this child to grow up without a father...or something.

It's such a predictable trope that I knew, in one of the timelines that Amy would end up pregnant with Bobby's baby. I briefly thought maybe it would be Cop Timeline, but Rocker Timeline makes sense. 

Honestly, I wish they went with a twist, like Amy was thought to be pregnant but she's actually sick. That would carry into all three timelines with various outcomes (it wouldn't be focused much in Nurse Timeline since she doesn't have a big part there, Cop Timeline would have a different focus on how Joe/Amy grow their relationship with this obstacle, and Rocker Timeline would have Joe probably in the dark for DRAMA while Amy has to navigate her campaign with being sick). I mean, sickness is still a trope, but better than a highly predictable pregnancy storyline, AND I like the idea of the three timelines dealing with an issue at the same time with different outcomes. Illness isn't something that would be changed with Joe's splitting of three paths during graduation. They've done something like that with Jenny's pregnancy and some other minor things that they can't change, but this would have a whole new take as this would be an issue presented NOW, rather than something pre-set and talked about before the graduation stuff.

Plus, I've noticed that they started out with Christopher, Lucas and Zeke in major roles in all three timelines in the first couple of episodes, but have quickly reduced that role in the Rocker Timeline (their focus shifted from Jenny/Zeke to Amy fairly quickly) and the Cop Timeline (Lucas only has appeared in maybe three episodes there and Jenny's role was drastically reduced to a minor character), though I imagine one or both of those storylines will be brought back in a major way by end of season. Rocker Timeline will likely bring it back within the next couple of episodes now that Joe/Amy are pretty much on the outs, especially when Joe finds out about the pregnancy, but it's unclear when they're going to bring it back in the Cop Timeline. Not that I have interest in the kid storyline in the Rocker Timeline, as it's not like Joe can un-adopt Zeke and take him in so their only outcome there is possibly having a more open adoption, and Cop Timeline is just delaying the drama that will unfold there.

With the Nurse Timeline and Joe and Jenny having love interests introduced in the same episode, I'm sure both will have different outcomes: one will cheat, one will either think about cheating OR it'll turn out to be a misunderstanding, similar to the Rocker Timeline. Although would they want to repeat that story in the Nurse Timeline? I really don't think they would want to, but with Joe hiring a female aide that's clearly made to be flirting with Joe, and Jenny working with an old friend, I just don't see what other way they could go. This show has been fairly predictable, and they have three timelines to spread out the tropes in. 

Celeste in all three timelines is interesting. No surprise Dad was some sort of abusive dickhead, at least toward his daughter, and of course it's explored in the Cop Timeline, as they have to make a point about the men in that family being dicks except for Joe (at the moment, at least). Yet Cop Celeste interests me the most out of the three. She may be very bitter and lashing out, but she interests me more than Rocker Celeste who is using her brother for fancy things. I mean, Nurse Celeste isn't so bad but not nearly explored enough as a character. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah, no surprise Rocker Amy got pregnant by a now dead Bobby.

I still think the baby will end up being Joe's but I forgot to comment that, in this show too, like in so many others, adults continue to have unprotected sex with people who they know have other/multiple partners. WTF is going on? Protected sex is not a minor thing and the writers don't even bother to create a situation like "ooops, the condom broke". Nope. Let's have the adults act like irresponsible horny teenagers who don't have time to think, or who don't think, period

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, circumvent said:

I still think the baby will end up being Joe's but I forgot to comment that, in this show too, like in so many others, adults continue to have unprotected sex with people who they know have other/multiple partners. WTF is going on? Protected sex is not a minor thing and the writers don't even bother to create a situation like "ooops, the condom broke". Nope. Let's have the adults act like irresponsible horny teenagers who don't have time to think, or who don't think, period

I only think she won't because of that comment Joe made to Celeste earlier in the episode, when she asked how long it's been since they had sex. He made it pretty clear it had been a while since they did, possibly before he discovered Jenny's lies. 

She could, I won't write that off, but I do believe it's going to be Bobby's in order to make it harder for Amy in this timeline (fertility issues will make abortion less of an ideal choice for her, plus it being Bobby's last child, plus drama with Bobby's wife when it's inevitably discovered). 

Although I totally agree that people on TV shows get pregnant way too easily and I want to scream at them to use protection, there at least is somewhat of a little believability to Amy getting pregnant, because her and Joe HAD been trying for kids at least up until a couple of months prior so there's a chance she hadn't gone back on birth control at the point when her and Bobby had sex. Now, the condom stuff is another story and that could be argued for being irresponsible. And I agree that Amy sleeping with Bobby was ridiculous to begin with. That's why I was hoping for a twist against the predictable pregnancy twist.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, circumvent said:

The kid is annoying. I love when disabled people are hired and when disabilities are portrayed realistically but he is too perfect, too "angelic". Make him real. They did the same on the show 911, the disabled kid is about the same age, I guess, and they keep picking him up as if he is a toddler, something that a non-disabled kid would not allow people to do. 

I don't think nurse Joe will have an affair with the home aide. I think she will turn out to be a creepy stalker type, and Jenny will be have a revenge affair with her co-worker. Basically, recycled story from the Rocker Joe timeline. 

He's not annoying - he's just given crap story and lines - he needs to be made more realistic. They definitely need consultants, even if it is his parents just telling the writers some stuff that has happened with him to give them some ideas.

The aide definitely gave me stalker vibes - way too overeager

• Love 2

This episode wasn't as enjoyable, since it was introducing predictable boring drama.

Of course Rocker Amy is pregnant with Bobby's baby.  I thought Rocker Joe was more annoying not taking any responsibility for the affair, what with his lying and creepy stalking of his son.  Why have a campaign event on Thanksgiving, when most people would be with their families?  Celeste was almost unrecognizable in this timeline.  

Cop Joe was pretty dumb to run into a burning building.  Leave it to the experts and wait for the firemen.  It was sort of interesting Celeste bringing up that their family never saying anything negative about their father.  Joe should have made plans for Amy to be elsewhere if Angry Uncle showed up.

I was liking the Nurse Joe storyline but I hate the potential prospect of cheating.  The "student nurse" was rude at the hospital but of course she "minored" in astronomy.  Jenny STILL didn't put her phone on silent and had it out in plain view.  I don't buy that she couldn't have taken a washroom break to have a quick chat with her family.  

• Love 1