Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Love, Taxes and a Kidney

nelroy78
  • Start Topic

"Love, Taxes and a Kidney" - As Gina and Drew adjust to life after surgery, Drew develops romantic feelings for someone new, and Gina gets surprising news about a friend's death, on the second season premiere of the CBS Original series B POSITIVE, Thursday, Oct. 14 (9:30-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network, and available to stream live and on demand on Paramount+.

Read more: Listings - B POSITIVE on CBS | TheFutonCritic.comhttp://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210923cbs05/#ixzz79KHFXIpd

SEASON PREMIERE 

So no one started the episode thread tonight, so I figured I would. If the episode threads are not active enough, might as well just go to a Season thread like The Goldbergs. 

I was very happy with the episode, Gina and Gabby were the best, RIP Mr. Knudsen. The scene in the dialysis clinic was awkward though.

Going to miss Samantha, and Adriana has been recast, she will now be played by Michelle Ortiz starting with next week’s episode. 

Annaleigh is singing a new version of the theme song starting with the October 28 episode. Thank goodness. https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/tv/2021/10/14/annaleigh-ashford-broadway-stars-tv-turn-b-positive-impeachment/8374509002/

Edited by nelroy78
  • Love 5

I was hugely disappointed by this.

The show has dropped Bernie Kopell's character, but it's kept Drew/Thomas Middleditch, and Drew is in love with Gina (blech), and we have a ridiculous plot twist with Gina inheriting millions of dollars? Does every single character on TV need to be rich?

My guess would be that Bernie Kopell, being 88, wasn't up for filming during a pandemic, so I don't fault the makers of the show for his absence. But I fault them for all of the other decisions.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I have no interest in seeing Drew pine for Gina, and Gina figure out how to be wealthy. I thought this show as about navigating organ failure and transplants. The tropes they brought out tonight are of no interest to me whatsoever.

The show was partially inspired by the real life kidney transplant of one of the show's creators...who is no longer with the show, so yeah, they're totally moving on. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

If the show becomes about Gina buying the old folks' home, then what about Drew's ex-wife and his kid? Is DREW even still going to be on the show? 

We can only hope not. Middleditch is pretty disgusting IRL.

I don't mind the show becoming about Gina and the old folks. Them and the dialysis crew. I say that now.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Shelbie said:

Part of the charm of this show for me was the platonic relationship between Gina and Drew. I hate that they’re throwing in an unrequited crush. So stupid and predictable.

Yes, we're just in one episode deep in the second season and it's jumped the shark.

• Love 10

My guess would be that Bernie Kopell, being 88, wasn't up for filming during a pandemic

He was on Grey's Anatomy just a week ago. I don't know what their filming schedules are like but he's still going strong. (Although he died on Greys, heh.)

I always thought this show had a very limited premise. There's very little they can do with it once the kidney transplant has taken place. 

Are they supposed to be drinking wine? I thought alcohol was off limits when you are down to one kidney. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 10
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

He was on Grey's Anatomy just a week ago. I don't know what their filming schedules are like but he's still going strong. (Although he died on Greys, heh.)

I always thought this show had a very limited premise. There's very little they can do with it once the kidney transplant has taken place. 

Are they supposed to be drinking wine? I thought alcohol was off limits when you are down to one kidney. 

I had a roommate who had a kidney transplant and she limits her alcohol intake. She certainly didn't drink so quickly after her surgery.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

We can only hope not. Middleditch is pretty disgusting IRL.

I don't mind the show becoming about Gina and the old folks. Them and the dialysis crew. I say that now.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was advocating for Drew sticking around. I'm more just saying that the show is confusing as fuck as to what they're planning to do based on the casting decisions. If they want to dump Drew, then fine, but then why keep his ex-wife and his daughter in the cast? Why UP David Anthony Higgins to a cast regular? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah but that was just because he got run over by a bicycle built for two.

Not sure how I feel about the new direction of the show but I'll probably stick around and see where it goes. For now, at least.

• Love 3

Wait did I miss something but didn't Drew have a pretty serious relationship with the other girl?  Or did he dump her right before the transplant because of his crush on Gina?  If so, why didn't they have that in the previouslies?

• Love 5

Anyone remember where this show is supposed to be located?  If it isn't in Iowa, New Jersey, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, or Maryland, Gina wouldn't have to pay tax on the money she inherited.  They are the only states that charge an inheritance tax. The federal government does not tax an inheritance. 

An estate of that value would have had to play Estate Tax (on the federal level and maybe also at the state level), but that would happen before any money was handed to Gina (which would not have happened so soon after he died). 

Furthermore, the highest inheritance tax rate is 18% (Nebraska), so she wouldn't lose half the money to taxes. 

With all the money Chuck Lorre has, I would think he could afford to have a quick conversation with an estate lawyer.  

I get the feeling that they planned to have Gina win the lottery (in which case the taxes and the timing would make a lot more sense (also the taxes would be taken out before thy gave her the check), but, for whatever reason, decided to go with inheritance instead, but didn't want to bother re-writing anything.  

7 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

Wait did I miss something but didn't Drew have a pretty serious relationship with the other girl?  Or did he dump her right before the transplant because of his crush on Gina?  If so, why didn't they have that in the previouslies?

That was another thing that irked me this episode - He was so in love with her that he was planning to go to Europe (Switzerland?) to have his transplant so they could be together.  And now it is like she never existed.  I am hoping that he eventually talks to her and realizes that his feelings for Gina are just misplaced gratitude.  Too bad he didn't decide to go and the show could be about Gina, her work, and the dialysis group, with no Drew.  .  

(Note: I have only watched half the episode).

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

Anyone remember where this show is supposed to be located?  If it isn't in Iowa, New Jersey, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, or Maryland, Gina wouldn't have to pay tax on the money she inherited.  They are the only states that charge an inheritance tax. The federal government does not tax an inheritance. 

Apparently it's not specified...

https://www.distractify.com/p/where-does-b-positive-take-place

However, it's not the filming location that makes B Positive so special, but the unspecific nature of the show. 

B Positive's premise revolves around an extraordinary act of kindness between two people who became strangers only to reconnect later in life. While this seems like an extremely unlikely circumstance, one idea behind keeping the show's setting neutral could seek to show that random acts of kindness (even huge kidney transplants) are possible anywhere, including beyond the realm of television. 

(which would not have happened so soon after he died)

I was wondering how their boss knew she had been left something in his will and should expect a call from his lawyer when the bathroom he died in hadn't even been cleaned up yet.

That was another thing that irked me this episode - He was so in love with her that he was planning to go to Europe (Switzerland?) to have his transplant so they could be together. 

She wasn't in this episode at all but she'll be back. (Apparently she's been recast, though.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Silver-hyren said:

Huh I thought it was set in Connecticut (vaguely remember them saying it in like the first or second episode).

I don't remember...I do vaguely recall some scenes with cold weather, though.

While I appreciate trying to find a storyline beyond the initial transplant, I am not sure what the writers are going to do to keep them in each others lives. Gina will definitely buy the nursing home, giving her meaning and a purpose, and I could see her bring on Drew and his wife to work there to help her run the place. Include the daughter as a volunteer and you retain the main cast just in a different situation. But they need to drop this whole Drew is in love with Gina plot ASAP. It doesn't make sense and they do not have any romantic chemistry at all.

Keep Gina with her ex-football player boyfriend and reunite Drew with his ex-wife. Normally I do not see a point to reuniting exes but there seems to be a new understanding between the two of them since Drew's illness and transplant and I could see them slowly working their way back to each other.

There are plenty of stories that can be told about running a nursing home and they do not need to involve a love story between the two leads. In addition, the showrunners could also throw in some health concerns regarding kidney transplant patients and long-term effects of the operations. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Why did Drew need to sell his burial plot?  He is still going to die at some point in time.  If that was just a metaphor for him having a more positive outlook on life, then I guess that part of it makes sense, but taking a loss on a burial plot that you will eventually need doesn't.  

Drew was a total buttwad to Eli telling him to break up with Gina because she's probably over him or whatever. I was thinking that Eli and Gina had broken up without me noticing when Drew was set to tell her he's in love with her or whatever.

And probably not cool to go into a dialysis room and brag about your new kidney.  

It's only the first epi, of course, but I think I was enjoying season 1 way more.

• Love 9
On 10/16/2021 at 1:04 PM, ams1001 said:

I was wondering how their boss knew she had been left something in his will and should expect a call from his lawyer when the bathroom he died in hadn't even been cleaned up yet.

They have their priorities.

But, the nurse could have been with him when he died and and told her to tell Gina.  Or, he could have told her at any point in time.

I do wonder about something, though.  I know that most nursing homes don't allow patients or families to give employee gifts.  But, maybe after death it is different, as at that point the person is no longer a patient.  But, OTOH, they were a patient while drawing up the will.  Definitely at least a grey ethical area.

• Love 2

Yeah, Drew's girlfriend is going to be in the next episode, where she will be understandably upset about Drew saying he is now in love with Gina. Apparently, people sometimes DO develop romantic feelings for their donors, so I don't mind it THAT much. The fact that they're going to be doing a brand-new theme song with Episode 3 sung by Ashford suggests to me that we might see some of the current cast depart at that point. It would be very unusual, but so is re-doing your title theme to reflect the new direction of your show in the third episode of the season. Since the dialysis nurse will be getting hired by Gina to be the new nursing director of the nursing home, I think that there is a decent chance we lose Eli as a character and then maybe Sara Rue and the daughter. Drew then becomes the nursing home's therapist and I have no idea what role David Anthony Higgins will play...maybe he gets a job at the home, as well? 

I don't think I've ever seen a sitcom with this much up in the air, casting-wise, AFTER a season has begun. 

Edited by Brian Cronin
Might need a new laptop, as it seems to be dropping the last letter of some words at random.
  • Useful 3
34 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Yeah, Drew's girlfriend is going to be in the next episode, where she will be understandably upset about Drew saying he is now in love with Gina. Apparently, people sometimes DO develop romantic feelings for their donors, so I don't mind it THAT much.

And I hope telling that story is where they're planning on going with this.  It does make sense to confuse your gratitude to someone saving your life with love.  And if they can delve into that without being too soapy that would be great.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

And I hope telling that story is where they're planning on going with this.  It does make sense to confuse your gratitude to someone saving your life with love.  And if they can delve into that without being too soapy that would be great.

I think that's absolutely their plan, as Chuck Lorre has specifically phrased it as "Drew THINKS he is in love with Gina," ya know?

• Love 2