Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: We're All Mad Here

Door County Cherry
  • Start Topic

Dottie's insane.  "I want all the hot sauce." 😅

Love and Forty never stood a chance. Had she been anyone else and taken Henry, that chick would have a knife sticking out of her eye -- courtesy of Love Quinn Goldberg. Glad she brought up Love's first husband. Knowing what Love is capable of, I wondered if he truly died from illness.

I figured a few episodes ago that Cary was into Joe (all that too-long staring and close-talking). So kinda non-surprised by him and Sherry being swingers.

Matthew is on the case. Guess he figured there is no way his deceased wife was doing Mackenzie Astin's nervous, fidgety Gil. Smart dude.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
On 10/15/2021 at 4:58 PM, eXiled said:

Knowing what Love is capable of, I wondered if he truly died from illness.

Wasn't it implied last season that she might have helped him along? Or maybe I thought that because Love is homicidal to begin with.

I'm honestly having trouble remembering the details of last season, it feels so long ago.

This is a fun season. I meant to dole it out slower but here I am, close to the finish line. Oops. I'm sure some clever critic has found the perfect way to articulate the way this show calls us out on our own bullshit as we agree with Joe and Love's disgust for other characters while having to continually remind ourselves, "Nope, this shallow/creepy/narcissistic/weird/hateful so-and-so is still not a serial killer like they are, Joe and Love are always, always worse." I keep trying to explain the appeal of this show to people who turn their noses up at it, but I still haven't quite found the right turn of phrase.

Edited by gesundheit
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Wasn't it implied last season that she might have helped him along? Or maybe I thought that because Love is homicidal to begin with.

I thought they implied that as well. Or even straight-up said it because I thought we knew for sure that Love did indeed kill her ex.

I too was hoping to make this last longer, but here I am.  3 episodes remaining. 

I cannot tell you how much I howled at that amazing NDA scene in the bakery.  The actors playing Sherry and Cary are really killing this; the characters are amazingly terrible, yet I enjoy when they are on the scene.

Ryan Goodwin is the WORST. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

I am really liking this Joe/Love game of cat and mouse they are playing with each other.  This is the most interesting they have been as a couple to me since the therapist session. Also like that therapist session there is the outside layer of their marriage — that fake face they are presenting to each other and there is the under-layer.  It is interesting because the fake outer layer actually looks like a functional loving marriage.  Joe really can sound sincere and loving when he is trying to snow Love in order to do what he needs to get at Marienne.  His ‘I love YOU’ was chilling and a nice wink at the text and subtext the show is playing with this season between these two.

And this was also a great episode for Love.  Unlike Joe who is in full on stalker mode and the height of his fantasy delusions with Marienne, I could almost forget Love is a killer.   Between her interactions with Joe, Theo, Dottie and Sherry — Victoria Pedretti was excellent in her range in this episode.

Man, Sherry gets around. Friends of Library chairwoman.  So apropos that center-of-the-world Sherry would be the way to get Joe’s two worlds to intersect.

“My caterer for the library fundraiser got  frostbite.  Too much infrared Sauna.”   And “it’s just like riding a Peloton” nothing as plebeian as plain old “bike’ for Sherry when she’s using similes.  Whoever is writing for Sherry is having way too much fun.

That said, this was also a pretty good ep for Sherry.  If we hadn’t seen her be so over the top and insufferable in the six preceding episodes, in this one you could almost think she was just a cool supportive friend who also happens to be in an open marriage and now wants to bone her new BFF.  LOL.  Did NOT see that one coming.  Holy cow!!

Marienne looked gorgeous in that red dress at the fundraiser.

Here for Joe killing Ryan.  Sorry not sorry.  But I am watching a show about a serial killer.  He’s gonna kill somebody, may as well be an asshole.

And Dottie is the worst.  But I love that she is working under the misapprehension that  hinting that Love killed her first husband would shock Joe.  Oh honey.  It is funny that the much more mundane threat of outing her as fucking Theo could have been a bigger bomb to for her to detonate.  Another example of why I am really enjoying the writing and storytelling on the show this season.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 13

I love how Dottie thought she would throw a bomb into Joe and Love's marriage by saying she suspected that Love killed her first husband and that Joe would be shocked, but Joe was just like "yeah, that seems on brand." No wonder Forty and Love got so messed up with parents like that, if Dottie wasn't Love's mom (and cops didn't get involved) she was have a cleaver in her throat after taking Henry, that was some special kind of crazy. I have always assumed that Love had something to do with her first husbands death, and knowing that her husband was going to file for divorce just clinches it.

I am so not shocked that Sherry and Carey want to swing with Joe and Love, Carey has clearly been hot for Joe since they met at the barbeque. 

This season is so much fun, the cat and mouse game between Love and Joe has really given the show a lot of steam.

• Love 6

"I'm getting my gordatas!" LMAO. 

So they are going there, with the dead husband. I wondered if Love had killed him somehow. 

Marienne's ex may still be on drugs, but if anything happened to her little girl, with him around, that would not be helping her out. 

I'm tempted to binge the rest, but am also enjoying the quiet, with it paused. 

• Love 2
On 10/16/2021 at 10:36 PM, gesundheit said:

I'm honestly having trouble remembering the details of last season, it feels so long ago.

This is a fun season. I meant to dole it out slower but here I am, close to the finish line. Oops. I'm sure some clever critic has found the perfect way to articulate the way this show calls us out on our own bullshit as we agree with Joe and Love's disgust for other characters while having to continually remind ourselves, "Nope, this shallow/creepy/narcissistic/weird/hateful so-and-so is still not a serial killer like they are, Joe and Love are always, always worse." I keep trying to explain the appeal of this show to people who turn their noses up at it, but I still haven't quite found the right turn of phrase.

I stopped watching the first season in 2018, because it creeped me out that so many people were swooning over Joe (not here: elsewhere, I remember girls swooning, and the actor reminding people that he's a bad guy, not supposed to be swoon-worthy). I picked it up again last week, because friends were talking about it, and I'm actually enjoying it more, now that it's two psychos dealing with each other. I just feel bad for anyone who gets in their way. 

• Love 2

The drive thru actress was awesome. And unhinged grandma was played fantastically. I got The Incredibles vibes from the "babysitter gave the kid to the villain" vibes. I mean, I know Mama Quinn's not the most villainous person on the show, but "this isn't a baby" followed by taking the baby to your arson is definitely a problem. She's lucky his parents didn't kill her as soon as they found out.  

Cary made an excellent Mad Hatter. 

You are capable of the exact same shit, Joe, you fucking hypocrite! You have a strong habit of murdering women you care about! Hell, the only reason Love was able to murder Candace was because you sucked at murdering her and burying the body and you have the nerve to act like she's unhinged and sloppy!? I mean, she is, but pot/kettle. 

• Love 2
On 10/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, peachmangosteen said:

I thought they implied that as well. Or even straight-up said it because I thought we knew for sure that Love did indeed kill her ex.

Last season, they revealed that Love's first husband died extremely young, and naturally that seemed very suspicious.

Then they eventually showed a flashback to a tender moment between Love and her first husband, in which he made it clear that he was dying of cancer, and they seemed very much in love.

Up until this episode, they left it at that. I think maybe the writers wanted us to assume, based on the flashback, that his death wasn't suspicious. But a whole lot of us were still very suspicious, for very good reason.

I still have this running, as I do other things. I can't remember everything that happened. 

Joe stalking Marienne's ex, and sabotaging him. "The things I do for you, Marienne." Except she never asked him to!!! last season, when he spoke of Love and her brother needing boundaries. The self-awareness is not there, as much as he thinks it is. 

I can't remember if anything happens to her mother. I hope she is one of the people to bring him down, in season four. I do not want to see him keep getting away with all of this.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2021 at 11:04 PM, Blakeston said:

Last season, they revealed that Love's first husband died extremely young, and naturally that seemed very suspicious.

Then they eventually showed a flashback to a tender moment between Love and her first husband, in which he made it clear that he was dying of cancer, and they seemed very much in love.

Up until this episode, they left it at that. I think maybe the writers wanted us to assume, based on the flashback, that his death wasn't suspicious. But a whole lot of us were still very suspicious, for very good reason.

I assumed Love’s first husband did have cancer, but the the audience was left wondering if Love helped him along because we know how she is. He was sick though. We don’t know if Love’s mom was telling the truth, but I don’t put it past her; if he was ready to leave her she wouldn’t have taken that well. 

I really liked the outfits for the library fundraiser- the Alice and Wonderland theme was fun.