Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E05 The Lock In

• Start Topic

Dean is reluctant to attend the annual church lock-in until Kim tells him it’s where she got her first kiss. He enlists his friends to help him pair up with Keisa, but his plans are thwarted when he instead gets paired up with the pastor’s daughter, Charlene.

Original Air Date: October 20, 2021

On 10/15/2021 at 9:49 AM, Raja said:

So I guess that we are about to meet Dean's Becky Slater. Or has Keisha been his Becky Slater from the start?

Having met Keshia's dad, he should really keep his lips far away from her. Her dad already thinks he's a pervert.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Who played the pastor?

It took some Google Fu since the credits rolled too fast but I got Frank Oakley III.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:05 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Having met Keshia's dad, he should really keep his lips far away from her. Her dad already thinks he's a pervert.

Charlene's pastor dad seemed much more okay with it than Dean's mom. I guess she already has the condom care package ready for her baby.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Raja said:

It took some Google Fu since the credits rolled too fast but I got Frank Oakley III.

Thank you! (Of course, now IMDB has the episode cast updated...it wasn't there last night).

I hate it when I spend an episode trying to place an actor who looks really familiar, finally find out their name, then look at their IMDB only to see that I've seen absolutely nothing else they've been in. I guess he just reminds me of someone...which of course I can't think of who.

• Love 2

I never knew about church lock-ins before. Is it common in all Black churches, or just Southern ones? I've also never seen a baptismal pond before. Guess I just don't know about churches in general, having been raised Buddhist.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Cress said:

I never knew about church lock-ins before. Is it common in all Black churches, or just Southern ones? I've also never seen a baptismal pond before. Guess I just don't know about churches in general, having been raised Buddhist.

I've heard of them...the ones I've heard about I think were more evangelical or Baptist type churches but I don't know if that means anything. My confirmation class (8th graders; United Methodist church in New Jersey) did a sleepover at the church (we flipped a coin and the girls got to sleep in the sanctuary and the boys slept upstairs, while the pastor slept on an air mattress in the room in between) but we didn't call it a lock-in. (It would have been around 1988/89.)

We did not watch the Ten Commandments nor were kids making lists of who they wanted to sit and/or make out with. (The coolest thing was getting to see what was behind that door at the back of the choir loft...it went behind/under the sanctuary and it was basically piles of dirt but it was neat and a little creepy. But we could also see the real pipes for the organ, behind the decorative ones you can see on the wall behind the altar.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, Cress said:

It is more an Evangelical thing so multi racial, then just the Evangelic portion of Black church. Black lets say for example Methodist (as a swing denomination) across the street from Dean's church would look different. Although the churches tended to be segregated not just by neighborhoods, with similar but historical mostly Black denominations to this day. Along with the church being a center of life and lock ins baptisms tend to be by full emersion only but most won't keep the tank full except when they are about to do the ceremony, especially to control mosquitoes 

• Love 6

To this very white, lapsed Catholic, the black church looks like a lot of fun! Well, until Dean said the service lasts three hours. We were in and out of mass within an hour. And I figured lock-ins were a Protestant thing. Never had them at Holy Apostles.

I liked this episode a lot. Dean continues to charm me, and Lillian is a boss!

• Love 7

The youth in the midwest Presbyterian Church where my DD and I belonged usually did a mission trip, but one year they did the mission in the same city as the church. The kids stayed overnight during the week at a camp. There were lots of chaperones, but some kids still managed to find the communion wine and communed a little too much.

They also did a lock-in at least once. The congregation was primarily white, but not really segregated by that time, mid-1980's.

• LOL 4

"Sometimes I thought my parents just gave us middle names to let us know we were in trouble." 

Way to go Just Dean, the Lord truly works in mysterious ways. This show is so cute, I think its getting better every episode. 

The Catholic church I went to had a lock in for confirmation when I was a teenager, the boys and girls had to sleep in different rooms but I do remember some awkward teenage flirting. And possibly someone sneaking off with some communion wine...

• Love 6

I went to an Evangelical church in the South in the 80's and there were Youth Lock Ins. I went to a few but can't recall what all went on. I DO know that no one tried to put the moves on me and saw none of the hooking up in front of me. Maybe no boy was interested? All I know is I couldn't want to get back home to MY stereo and play MY music.....I was very anti-social as a kid...

Back to the episode, cute one for sure and I still love this show..

• Love 3
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The Catholic church I went to had a lock in for confirmation when I was a teenager, the boys and girls had to sleep in different rooms but I do remember some awkward teenage flirting. And possibly someone sneaking off with some communion wine...

I don't think there was anyone in my confirmation class I wanted to flirt with...

And we were Methodists; we just had grape juice.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I full-out laughed when they fell into the pool. It was just a great bit of physical comedy.

What I liked is that there is no way to make what happened sound cool and/or romantic to thier friends. 

• Love 4

This was a fun episode! Every relatable in the social habits of early adolescence. I like Dean’s relationship with his friends and his sister. 

I know that I’m watching this behind all of you all, but I do think the actress that plays his sister is just a tall woman (5’10 or so), I noticed in the shots we never see her feet. They probably have her in flats and put her mom in heels. 

• Love 1