Type keyword(s) to search

The Nate And Jeremiah Home Project - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Nate and Jeremiah Home Project, the design duos help families who are moving and transitioning into a new house plan strategically to create their ideal dream home.

HGTV Premiere — Oct. 5!

Nice to see the guys back  again

Pleasant show 

• Love 1

I can't help but love these guys. They have a dream life. Perfect kids, perfect city home, perfect studio/office, perfect successful business, perfect relationship, perfect home in the Hamptons. Plus they are good looking and apparently have endless amounts of money. Goals. 

• Love 9

I love Nate and Jeremiah, but especially their kids.      However, I am tired of endless sob stories, so cut the story down, and put in more content on deciding what to keep, what to get rid of.     

The sad truth of many of the collectibles that grandparents and parents pass down, is very little is worth anything.   There may be sentimental value, but usually nothing more than that.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I can't help but love these guys. They have a dream life. Perfect kids, perfect city home, perfect studio/office, perfect successful business, perfect relationship, perfect home in the Hamptons. Plus they are good looking and apparently have endless amounts of money. Goals. 

No one's life is perfect, especially if you're only seeing it through the lens of a "reality" show or Instagram account.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

No one's life is perfect, especially if you're only seeing it through the lens of a "reality" show or Instagram account.

I enjoy them and their show but I don't get any sense of perfection, in any aspect of their lives.  They just sold their "perfect" home.  I guess it wasn't that perfect!

• Like 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I enjoy them and their show but I don't get any sense of perfection, in any aspect of their lives.  They just sold their "perfect" home.  I guess it wasn't that perfect!

Oh, I don't know about that. They made a 4 million dollar profit on that NY home. Sounds pretty perfect to me! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

I'm glad to see them back on the air. The first episode wasn't all that impressive, though. I wonder if they are trying to differentiate between their old show on TLC. I hope to see more remodeling work done, not just decorating. I know interior design is their business but anyone can buy new furniture and appliances.

Oscar has really gotten big since the last time we saw him on TV!

• Love 4

I like Nate but I don’t care for Jeremiah. He seems like a hanger but I guess Nate likes them young. LOL!!!  I watched the reveal. The after was okay. I also, thought they bought and redid the forever home in New York after there other forever home in California. I guess we’ll have to live through another renovation of their newest forever home which will cost millions and it will need to speak to Nate. He’s like that. Anyhoo, where is their new, new, new house? Still in NYC?

• Love 4

I don’t understand the criticisms of Nate and Jeremiah. They buy a house or townhouse, renovate it and then sell it at a profit. They seem to love each other and are crazy about their two precious children. So what if they call a house their “forever” house? I sense a lot of jealousy for these guys. I just hope they’re happy and they’re all healthy.

• Love 14

I like their work, they can come by and do my place anytime.

I don’t, however love MCM. But that house worked hard for them.  I’m not crazy about being manipulated. I teared up at the end of tonight’s episode anyway. Thank you, Show, for nor belaboring whatever problems the wife had.

I may be with Jere on the auctions, though. I lack Nates’s patience.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Who ever did the camera work for this last episode sucks. We barely saw the living room, they didn't scan it in it's entirety which made it look really small with too much going on.  The kitchen was really nice but they rushed through what they did there. Same with the bedroom. I don't understand where they put the recliner. Was it in a little alcove? Was it in a separate space in the bedroom, Upstairs? Downstairs? Again we barely saw it. 

I like the way Nate and Jeremiah have their differences but always come together in the end. So cute when Nate was doing the phone auction and they were at their table with the kids saying "Good job, Daddy". 

• Love 12

I hope there was more to that house than they showed.  Was it just 2 bedroom?  They never showed the bathroom or the basement, but it looked like long and skinny on both stories.  And I understand taking out the kitchen door, but didn't that mean eliminating their door to the backyard?

They need to show the whole house, then you can understand why they do what they do.  And I hate open shelves.  Just dust collectors.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Who ever did the camera work for this last episode sucks. We barely saw the living room, they didn't scan it in it's entirety which made it look really small with too much going on.  The kitchen was really nice but they rushed through what they did there. Same with the bedroom. I don't understand where they put the recliner. Was it in a little alcove? Was it in a separate space in the bedroom, Upstairs? Downstairs? Again we barely saw it. 

It looked to me like the recliner was in the spare bedroom. I was disappointed in the "sectional" they put in the living room. It looked too bulky and oddly shaped for the room. With a smaller sofa there would have been plenty of space in the living room for the recliner. At least they reupholstered it instead of throwing it away.

I loved the flowers in the pot on the banister 🙂

• Love 2

I agree about the sectional…and then that coffee table that looked sharp and pointy.  I loved the red tile, and good for Nate for sticking with upper cabinets on that side.  The open shelves (for once) didn’t bother me too much because there was the pantry cabinet and all those lower cabinets.  I’m short, so I appreciate lower cabinet space!

• Love 2

Boy, this show is shaping up to be pretty boring, compared to their last show. The concept is just so unambitious. 

I agree they didn't show enough of the house. They eliminated the kitchen door, but didn't tell us if there were any other doors! I assume there's at least one other besides the front door, since they had an attached garage. 

• Love 2

I caught the second episode, and have to say I like it much better than their past show.  The past one felt like overdone remodeling with overdone stories.  This one goes back to home design a bit which I miss so much.  Every show is remodeling these days, and it is nice to see something with a little more focus on simpler changes.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree they didn't show enough of the house. They eliminated the kitchen door, but didn't tell us if there were any other doors! I assume there's at least one other besides the front door, since they had an attached garage. 

It was poorly edited. They need to do better and that's no fault of N & J. 

• Love 2
On 10/14/2021 at 6:53 PM, alexa said:

I caught the second episode, and have to say I like it much better than their past show.  The past one felt like overdone remodeling with overdone stories.  This one goes back to home design a bit which I miss so much.  Every show is remodeling these days, and it is nice to see something with a little more focus on simpler changes.  

Totally agree that their last show was too focused on the Big Tragic Stories of the homeowners and I like this focus much better.

• Love 3

And for once, people who wanted walls!

The bronze plaque in the fireplace was gorgeous.  They should have it framed if they don't want it in the fireplace.

I love the guys style, but I would want some input into the colors my rooms were going to be painted.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

I love the guys style, but I would want some input into the colors my rooms were going to be painted.

I'm guessing they did have input. If they hadn't it would have been all white, N&J's preferred design. 

I wonder if they'll put in a second bathroom at some future date? 

• Love 2

Was the only bathroom in the Yonkers house upstairs? What the? Why didn't they at least figure a downstairs powder room in their budget? having to run upstairs every time you or your guests need to use the bathroom is ridiculous. Maybe there was a downstairs powder room and it wasn't shown. The son's playroom being upstairs didn't make sense to me, either. Also, I have never seen a master bathroom with the mirror hanging on chains suspended from the ceiling and blocking the window! I guess there is only so much you can do with $80,000. For me, the thing with N & J is that I absolutely love their design when they are doing their own spaces, their personal homes are stunning but the makeovers for other people I have never cared for. Same with their other show. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5

Totally agree that their last show was too focused on the Big Tragic Stories of the homeowners

We got a lot of that in the first two episodes of this one too though.

I dunno, I just found the previous premise more compelling, with people stuck in remodeling hell and Nate and Jeremiah digging them out. (I also used to love when they would pop in and surprise them when they thought they were still in the interview process). This show is just "our house isn't decorated to our taste." Big deal. 

Plus they seem to be trying to make a thing out of "editing" by gathering up some junk and confronting the home owners with it. "Can we throw this out? Can we throw this out?" It's like they think they're Marie Kondo.

I imagine it's probably just easier to find people who want their house redecorated than it is to find people stuck in remodeling hell.  Although, with the pandemic, there are probably a lot of the latter, too.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
On 10/20/2021 at 7:10 PM, buttersister said:

The vanity and mirror were gorgeous. Putting them in front of the window was weird, albeit likely the only place the vanity would fit.

I like to think the previous owners tucked a powder room in downstairs! 

I've seen it done before, and I kinda like the idea of having the mirror in front of the windows. Natural light for doing your makeup!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, carrps said:

I've seen it done before, and I kinda like the idea of having the mirror in front of the windows. Natural light for doing your makeup!

I thought it was fine. I noticed that the window behind the mirror had Roman shade that could be used to cover the window.

• Love 1

I love Anya, and her son Chris on tonight's show.   Anya deserves everything they can do for her, and I love the house. 

The house was a row/town house.   It had radiators for heat, and window air conditioning units.   The window units, or mini splits are the only way to air condition the house, because with radiators for heat, there are no vents.   I'm guessing there is a boiler/heater in either a basement, or mechanical room somewhere.    If they wanted to change to forced air, and a/c, then you have to put in vents, and change out the heat unit, and remove the radiators.      Or install mini-splits that do air conditioning, and maybe heat (I don't know if they do heat also). 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

I'm with Nate. If there has to be an open plan for "modern living" than at least use an architectural element instead of just making a big-ass room where you can see everything all of the time (ugh). 

One thing I liked about their other show was that they called in a bunch of "favors" and were often able to do more than the homeowners' budget allowed. I was hoping they'd work on the second floor as a surprise. But the powder room was important! (Note to editors: the powder room door was open in the shot before they took Anya to the former closet door to open it;-)

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

The new house appeared to be a townhouse. I saw "town" in the caption but those damn promo ads in the lower right corner of the screen covered the rest of the words. For Pete's sake, this is a decorating show, don't cover a huge chunk of the screen with stupid promo spots for other shows. SO annoying. Anyway, I was curious about the overall building. Clearly there were units on either side, and the A/C unit sticking out of the second floor window tells me there's no central air. Also, were there two stories or three? It's annoying they didn't show the whole house.

They did a nice job with it though. I'm a product of the suburbs so I don't understand how radiators work. Where is the heating unit if there is no basement? Or is there one?

The kitchen still felt a little cramped. Taking down the wall only gives you the illusion of an open space. In reality there wasn't much, if any, more room between the counter space with the range and the island on the other side than there was in that room when it was just a closed off room. 

I also thought the little glass table at the bottom of the stairs made the space look sort of cramped, and sticking an enormous decorative plant on top of it make it seem sort of useless.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, buttersister said:

I'm with Nate. If there has to be an open plan for "modern living" than at least use an architectural element instead of just making a big-ass room where you can see everything all of the time (ugh). 

Yes, so many people in my neighborhood are taking older, smaller homes and blowing out most of the walls. It makes the houses seem smaller. They end up looking like converted garages.

I liked the tile pattern they chose for the entry. In such a small space, an actual checkboard would have been too busy. I wish they'd added a bit more contrast -- like maybe painting the mullions a different color. It didn't have to be a strong color contrast, but it would have given more definition to the details and not made it seem like a big white blob. I'm really happy they changed the original furniture configuration. With the largest sofa having its back to the fireplace it would have seem off-kilter.

Loved the lantern in the powder room!

• Love 6

What a gorgeous job they did on that house!  In the neighborhood where I grew up, there were a lot of brick row houses like that one.  It was fantastic to see it modernized, and I actually got teary eyed when Nate showed Anya the stamp album.  They must still get things donated, there’s no way they did all that work for $90,000.

• Love 2

The Parisian motif got toned down when either the money or Jeremiah nixed all the marble and foo-foo Nate had planned for the fireplace. Jer was right about the furniture placement, too. I hope Anya loved it as much as she appeared to (Chris, too).

• Love 4

I may be in a mood (stuff going on), but this episode was great. And moving. All of it. The couple. Their home. What Nate and Jeremiah did. Their new/old home. Not all of it was my taste, but I appreciated what they did and why they did it.

ETA: K, it's actually making me laugh that they put marble all over the kitchen. So many other TV designers go on about young kids and practical materials. LOL! 

Edited by buttersister
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, buttersister said:

I may be in a mood (stuff going on), but this episode was great. And moving. All of it. The couple. Their home. What Nate and Jeremiah did. Their new/old home. Not all of it was my taste, but I appreciated what they did and why they did it.

Same.  Loved the couple, wasn't a big fan of the design.  That living room was so dense with furniture, the ottoman/storage unit was overwhelming.  I loved how N&J picked out the pencil drawings to fit their gray on gray on gray color scheme!

• Love 6

Next week is the season finale.       I'll miss this show, it wasn't the same old flip show.     

The week after the hour long Unsellable Houses will be in that slot, I don't know if they're new or not. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

Season finale already? So they only made six of these? N&J must command a pretty high salary.

I agree with sugarbaker design. The living room in that house looked over-stuffed. It didn't feel like that small of a room when we first saw it, but it felt cramped afterwards. The kitchen was nice, but it wasn't much different from every other open concept, huge renovated kitchen we've seen thousands of times on shows like this. Nothing to write home about. 

I'd be interested to know how much N&J have to pay for that 5th Avenue house they're buying, it must cost a pretty penny.

• Love 3

For once I don't agree with their design decisions.  It looked like they walked in and said "we have to keep the fireplace no matter what."  Then they found the strange sun room behind the living room.  If they had taken out the fireplace, or "relocated" it, the result would have been a lovely large sunlit living room with space for a play area for the kids.  What they ended up with were two long narrow spaces, one with too much furniture.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, meep.meep said:

For once I don't agree with their design decisions.  It looked like they walked in and said "we have to keep the fireplace no matter what."  Then they found the strange sun room behind the living room.  If they had taken out the fireplace, or "relocated" it, the result would have been a lovely large sunlit living room with space for a play area for the kids.  What they ended up with were two long narrow spaces, one with too much furniture.

I think there was too much furniture in the living room, and not well picked furniture at that, but I'd much rather have 2 rooms than one. I don't want my children's play area to be IN our only public space. And it would have cost a mint to get rid of that fireplace, not to mention it was beautiful and one of the main reasons they bought the house in the first place. 

I don't know how N&J can consider themselves designers though, not when they claim they spent time and thought on that kitchen. Or shaming the home owners into getting rid of a great chair. 

• Love 5

I think the chair should have had a new slipcover, and stayed.        

If I had unlimited funds, I would have taken the fireplace down, and put a double sided electric one, that could either be 'flames' only or put out heat.   

Just like the other remodeling shows on HGTV, I bet the homeowners who apply like what the particular designer does.  Or the homeowners figure they can change a few things to their taste after the remodel.   I'm betting there's an extensive questionaire about styles, colors, design features, etc. that the designers get from the homeowners.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama

I loved everything about that house…even the overstuffed living room.  I’d kill for that kitchen, and the *pantry*!  Their aesthetic is me all over (if you saw my apartment you’d understand)…except I do like some color.  I loved that they saved the china cabinet and modernized it by painting it black.  The brown chair had memories, but it looked worn.  Loved, loved, loved that they incorporated her drawings.  And the island that wasn’t an island…I could go on and on.  Can’t wait until next week, and then I hope they get a second season.

• Love 5

Did they paint over the wood paneling behind the staircase? Yuck. Although I guess it matched the painted paneling on either side of the fireplace. Still, to me there is nothing tackier than painted wood paneling.

Nate kept saying they were designing the house for the long run, not just now. I assumed that's why they stuck all the furniture in the living room--more conversation areas, less running around.

The fireplace wasn't my taste (the stone is fine, the b/w marble seemed to come from nowhere) but I am glad they kept the sunroom separate. I thought they made it useful (for now and later) and that room--and the fireplace--seemed to be what the couple liked about their home. Which is nice for them, because for some reason, recovering that chair wasn't in the cards. (The new chair was very attractive, but I bet it wasn't as comfy;-)

• Love 5
On 11/3/2021 at 8:40 AM, iMonrey said:

I'd be interested to know how much N&J have to pay for that 5th Avenue house they're buying, it must cost a pretty penny.

I heard the place they were living while the show was made sold for $12M. That's a decent downpayment. 😜

2 hours ago, buttersister said:

The fireplace wasn't my taste (the stone is fine, the b/w marble seemed to come from nowhere) but I am glad they kept the sunroom separate. I thought they made it useful (for now and later) and that room--and the fireplace--seemed to be what the couple liked about their home. Which is nice for them, because for some reason, recovering that chair wasn't in the cards. (The new chair was very attractive, but I bet it wasn't as comfy;-)

I like the separate sunroom, too. My dream house(s) always have sunrooms.

I wasn't sure about the stark black and white marble tiles on the hearth. They matched the white built-ins with the black hardware, but didn't go with the river rock. I'd have done the checkerboard in cream/dark brown marble tiles maybe.

The old chair looked like it was pretty slouchy -- in a bad way -- like it's structure was starting to go. I think it was fine to replace it.

The kitchen was too much of a bowling alley. I'd have liked a bit of a separation between the dining area and the kitchen itself. When Jeremiah was sketching his modification on the stove backsplash, he made a comment about what if the homeowner comes in and says she hates grey. I said that's me! that's me! I hate grey. I'd have done that kitchen completely differently. For one, I like a breakfast nook. The grey paint in the pantry made it look really dreary. I liked the mural wallpaper, but at first I thought they were only doing the wallpaper, and it alone would be an homage to the wife's art. So glad to see they actually framed some of her pieces.

Mostly this particular house looked the most like a Nathan/Jeremiah house than any of the others this season. I've really enjoyed how they've seemed to "get" their clients a little better and worked with their taste than they have in the past. But this one was a reversion to the past.

• Love 4

"The Two-Year Dream Project"   They bought their forever home, did some projects, and then he was diagnosed with cancer.   He's hopefully past his health concerns, but now the N & J are coming to the rescue.   The first floor living room is nice, but the rest of the floor is a terrible floor plan. 

My question is why do you buy an older house, and then are surprised when it's a closed off floor plan?   The current kitchen is horrible. 

They certainly ran into structural, and termite issues with this house. 

I love the kitchen. I don't like the mud room tile, or the grout color. 

This must be the season finale, because Fixer to Fabulous is on next week in the same time slot. 

• Love 1

Sadly, I think this is it for the season. I want to see the 5th Ave place with Jeremiah's new furniture.

I mostly liked this week's house. Didn't think I'd like the terra cotta tiles, but I did. Super glad the family kept the chair the guy loved. Thing is, I didn't love the piece (if that was it--light wood, very spare) that replaced the cabinet she had refinished. Oh well, the kitchen was much improved and the new door/windows/view were fantastic. The staircase made me laugh, I'm glad he got it.

The termites were really gross. {shudder}

I didn't like the light fixture for the dining room. All the little lamp shades were crooked. There is a similar light fixture on the walls in Downton Abbey (don't laugh) and it has always bugged me. It has little miniature lamps and lampshades and they are all cocked at odd angles. I like things to be perpendicular. 

Oscar is a dead ringer for Nate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1