Type keyword(s) to search

The Nate And Jeremiah Home Project - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I really liked the sun room, and benches. 

The benches are nice if you're having a big party and people need a place to sit, but for everyday living, sitting on a bench reading a book doesn't seem like it would be too comfortable.  N&J even mentioned that it would be good for large groups, but I wonder just how many parties these guys throw where they'll need that much seating!  

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

N&J even mentioned that it would be good for large groups, but I wonder just how many parties these guys throw where they'll need that much seating!

True.  I just think for that kind of room there aren't a lot of options to make it an everyday space.  I thought what N&J did was a good use of the space to make it a place you could see yourself using on a somewhat regular basis.   

11 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I liked the original fireplace too, but it definitely would not have worked with the design the guys wanted.  My hope is that they simply covered it up without destroying it. 

I'm sure they didn't save it. The original fireplace had a kind of bump out on the wall. It was gone when the new fireplace was in place.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

how many parties these guys throw where they'll need that much seating!  

This was one of the things that made me think they all knew each other. Or in "getting to really know" the couple, it was clear they love to entertain;-)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, buttersister said:

This was one of the things that made me think they all knew each other. Or in "getting to really know" the couple, it was clear they love to entertain;-)

I mean, they bought a large home for just the two of them that has a lot of entertaining space.  To me, they seemed a little old to start having kids, so I didn't really think that was a major reason for the purchase.  I don't know if they all knew each other, but it wouldn't have surprised me that the guys liked to entertain.

Some people view their home as a showroom and not as a home...perhaps this couple is one of them.  Not my taste but then again I'm a "throw your feet up on the couch" kind of girl (and currently live in an RV which is the epitome of really not caring about appearances!).

• Like 2
On 3/16/2023 at 11:41 AM, iMonrey said:

Mirrored backsplash in the kitchen? Who on earth would want that?

I'm just watching the series now (S2/E4) and oh boy - somebody in that family is going to be dragging out a ladder to clean that mirror tile every month or so. 

You know how it is; even if you never fry anything - you only sauté - the fat gets aerosolized and coats your whole kitchen.

If you're roasting something in the oven that has any fat in it, the same thing happens; you open the oven door and that aerosolized fat escapes into your kitchen. 

Even just a little bit is going to make the mirror tile look hazy, so it's going to have to be cleaned frequently. 

Not to mention everything on those open shelves... 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Added Season & Episode number
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2
(edited)
On 3/19/2023 at 2:41 PM, Chit Chat said:

Maybe it's my age but I am bothered that they let them sit on the counters and jump on the beds. 

I had the same thoughts. Also, the little girl is already "performative."

I'm just starting this series with no knowledge of Nate and Jeremiah beyond spotting them on Rock the Block (which I no longer watch). Their design was the most elegant and least crafty.

It appears Jeremiah is a designer. What does Nate contribute to this show, beyond making sage comments to the camera? It appears he likes to shop, and he hates color.

I think he's almost preternaturally beautiful,

I rarely comment on physical beauty (or otherwise), but I have to agree with this. His large proportional features remind me of ancient Greek or Roman statuary.

Edited by pasdetrois

Nate is a well known designer and has been around for decades...he first started out on Oprah and is known for his impeccable taste.  He was often featured designing small spaces in ways that didn't make you think they were so small (like New York apartments that are big on rent but small on space).  I think he deliberately steps back and lets Jeremiah take the limelight because Jeremiah thrives on it but I suspect Nate has a much bigger presence behind the scenes than it appears on the show.  

I watch the show for Nate, not for Jeremiah.  

He and late partner were in Sri Lanka when the tsunami hit and they became separated and his partner was never found.  He and Jeremiah's son's name is Oskar because that was the middle name of his late partner.  It was very tragic to say the least.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ML89 said:

If you remember the early days of HGTV, Nate's first job was for the auction house that was featured in At the Auction.

I didn't know that.  I just remember when he started appearing fairly frequently on Oprah and did mostly small spaces (as I said before).  I thought he was adorable and the spaces he designed were amazing.

I honestly didn't know who Jeremiah was except I kind of remembered he was on a reality show (The Rachel Zoe Project or something like that?).

Edited by RoxiP
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, RoxiP said:

I didn't know that.  I just remember when he started appearing fairly frequently on Oprah and did mostly small spaces (as I said before).  I thought he was adorable and the spaces he designed were amazing.

I honestly didn't know who Jeremiah was except I kind of remembered he was on a reality show (The Rachel Zoe Project or something like that?).

For some reason, I thought that the auction host was his mom, but I checked and she isn't. He just worked at the place, although he might have been on camera - it was way before he was on Oprah. I don't remember how I stumbled over that fact originally - he might have mentioned working there in some article.

I also have no idea where Jeremiah came from...

Nate also had a talk/design show I adored (I may have been the only one who loved it. lol)

Nate had a well-established career before he met Jeremiah. 

They have different personalities. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Am I right in remembering that Nate’s mom is (or was) Kitty Bartholomew? She was a well known designer and decorator on a lot of the early shows and in magazines. I believe she was in the audience on Oprah’s show when Nate was talking about losing his love in a tragic event.

Years ago, Nate’s mom had the name, Nancy Golden, when I first saw her on the old HGTV show, Decorating Cents.  She was one of my favorite guest designers.  

Coincidentally, she was the first designer I heard use the term “matchy-matchy” in a negative way.  Not too long later, I was watching Nate on Oprah and heard him use the term.  Hmmm?  They had different last names but something about the way he said it reminded me of Nancy.  Then when the tragedy happened, I saw his mom in the audience and clearly made the connection.

He and his mom had completely different design styles.  She loved color and whimsy.  And he didn’t.  But they both loved antiques.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
17 hours ago, Gam2 said:

Am I right in remembering that Nate’s mom is (or was) Kitty Bartholomew?

OMG, Kitty Bartholomew. There's a name I haven't heard in forever. She was a bit too-too, but her show was miles better than any of the shows on HGTV now.

I was the first person I knew to use the term matchy-matchy! I think it's just one of those terms that bubbled up in the zeitgeist, because it used to be that people in my mom's generation would always buy matching suites of furniture. The eclectic look was just too bohemian for them!

3 hours ago, LoveIsJoy said:

Years ago, Nate’s mom had the name, Nancy Golden, when I first saw her on the old HGTV show, Decorating Cents.  She was one of my favorite guest designers.

Oh, I think I do remember her. Never knew she was Nate's mom. Another show I used to watch all the time. Joan Steffend was always so calm. But one thing that bothered me about the houses in her area (Minneapolis?) was that orangey stained woodwork in nearly all the houses. They'd paint a room a nice pastel but keep those orangey baseboards, trim, and closet doors. Didn't they notice???

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LoveIsJoy said:

ears ago, Nate’s mom had the name, Nancy Golden, when I first saw her on the old HGTV show, Decorating Cents.  She was one of my favorite guest designers.  

Coincidentally, she was the first designer I heard use the term “matchy-matchy” in a negative way.

I watched Decorating Cents! I'd forgotten her...

For me, matchy matchy is Thom Felicia from OG Queer Eye - he loved saying it!

On 4/1/2023 at 10:20 AM, quirkygal said:

Some older homes don't leave you much of a choice - it goes where it fits. And plenty of homes were built with half baths or bathrooms off the kitchen - it's where the plumbing was and considered fancy to have a first floor bathroom.

Some communities have restrictive building/permitting codes. We wondered why our now-100-year-old house had only one bath, and discovered it was nearly impossible to install a 2nd one on the 2nd floor due to code restrictions. It was very difficult for us to do - the codes dictated an odd siting and very small square footage. But it's a godsend and worth every penny.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, pasdetrois said:

Some communities have restrictive building/permitting codes. We wondered why our now-100-year-old house had only one bath, and discovered it was nearly impossible to install a 2nd one on the 2nd floor due to code restrictions. It was very difficult for us to do - the codes dictated an odd siting and very small square footage. But it's a godsend and worth every penny.

My sister said she'd never get a place with only one bathroom unless she was the only one living there. We currently share a condo (a smidge over1000 sq ft) with two bathrooms and one powder room.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:55 PM, buttersister said:

I believe they were at a resort in Thailand. It was tragic for many.

I didn't think that sounded right. Thank you and yes it was a horrible tragedy. 

• Like 1
On 4/7/2023 at 6:36 PM, Chit Chat said:

I saw an episode of Fixer Upper once where they were removing asbestos and they were in full hazmat suits, and I think there was a sign on the front door alerting people.  Chip was very cautious and explained the seriousness of removing it correctly.

We had it in floor tiles in three rooms. We had it tested two times and it was not friable (no deadly invisible asbestos fibers floating around), even though the tiles were cracked and chipped, so we painted over it with heavy enamel. Later we had a remediation company remove the tiles and black mastic. While some companies cover the entire house, ours simply walled off the areas to be remediated and donned the hazmat suits. We remained in another part of the house; this was during the worst COVID time. After they removed the waste they ran tests to verify there was no asbestos that had been freed during the remediation.

Some companies use the fear of asbestos to take advantage of frightened homeowners and charge a fortune.

I always wonder about asbestos in old homes on these shows because it's rarely mentioned. In fact it has significant presence in old homes. I wish they'd mention it occasionally for educational purposes. I've seen many blogs where people rip the tiles out themselves with minimal precautions (YIKES), and others where there are overreactions, or homeowners who ignore it.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/13/2023 at 9:20 AM, RoxiP said:

I agree that the tile on the original fireplace was not attractive but I would have at least liked to see if they had researched it before they covered it up - I will never forget watching one show where people got rid of some tile that was original to the house and it turned out that it was worth a lot of money and if they had removed it carefully they could have sold it.

Perhaps you are remembering an episode of Restored? Brett Waterman makes a big deal of original tile surrounds on fireplaces.

The two curvey-legged tables that were deemed a "No" in the Forest Hills home are exact matches for mine. They are indeed "Granny," because I inherited mine from my great-grandmother, along with a bureau and bed.

I love the concept of window benches. I still remember Jo reading books in a window alcove in Little Women, which struck my fancy when I was a kid. But in reality they can be quite uncomfortable for long stretches, at least when one gets older. There's no cushioned support for the back. And the white cushions! What are these guys thinking?

The Forest Hills home had beautiful trim, except the very dark stain made it impossible to see the grain, which is the point with quality wood trim.

Laughed at Oskar's use of "terrifying." Both those kids have great vocabularies.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
(edited)

I apologize for multiple posts. The interface's Edit tool is not working for me today.

(maybe that white material was of the indestructible variety?

I think I heard Jeremiah say he sourced Sunbrella fabrics. But still...

I agree it appeared the Forest Hill couple were known to N&J, or someone had referred them and vouched for them. The episode had a feel of "good enough for these clients but not our usual perfect job."

Agree that window benches are not oriented to the view. Scrunching around to sit and see the garden out of those windows is uncomfortable.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1
On 3/3/2024 at 12:00 AM, buttersister said:

Didn’t see that coming. But I’m not mad. Except I was looking forward to more Nate and Jeremiah. 

Same.  I've always kind of thought that Jeremiah was the one who loved being in the limelight whereas Nate is simply happy just designing and hanging out with their kids.

• Like 2