Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Episode 3

Aulty
  • Start Topic

Self-expression is out as uniforms sweep the student body. Aimee opens up about the assault while Jackson bonds with cool nonbinary student Cal.

Released on Netflix on September 17th 2021

Edited by Aulty

I personally don't think they are necessary, but there is a case to be made for school uniforms. Like not letting poor kids get bullied because they can't afford the newest fashion trend or certain brands. But to use them to stamp out any indiviuality is just wrong and counterproductive. Even Japan, a very conservative country in most aspects, removed the requirement for natural haircolor recently. This head mistress is a piece of work.

I can understand Adam being scared of letting Eric go to a country where being gay is illegal. I would be scared to go there and if a boyfriend wanted to go there I's be scared for them, too. Let the grandma come to the UK, where her life isn't in danger, unlike her grandsons in her country.

Oh Otis. Still too much in love with Maeve to fall for another girl, I assume?

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Zonk said:

I personally don't think they are necessary, but there is a case to be made for school uniforms. Like not letting poor kids get bullied because they can't afford the newest fashion trend or certain brands.

I held a similar opinion for a long time, but with uniforms the attention just shifts to accessoires, schoolbags, jewellery, make up. And fit. Children who need clothes outside the regular size range, be it plus sized, petite or tall, often struggle.

I HATE that a highly acclaimed, high quality show like this had Ruby and Adam talk about the Kardashians - the show and the people are trash and should go away already - although it was funny to have those two very unlike people bond.

Really appreciate that Aimee is talking to Jean about what happened to her, showing the longer term effects of the assault. The show is also using Aimee as a medium to tell the 'all vulvas are beautiful' story after Otis talked to Rubik's cube douche about dicks in the first episode.

Ruby is actually a nice, caring girl - they already hinted at that last season. Bit surprised the ILY came so soon. Poor lass is gonna get her heart broken.
I expected Ruby and Otis to hook up after season too, but I didn't expect Ruby be the one to catch feelings.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 7

The cat thing was terrible. 'Humour' that revolves around hurting animals isn't even scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's upturning the barrel and desperately digging around in the dirt, trying to find something. Joe Wilkinson is funnier than anyone writing this show, he doesn't need that set-up to be brilliant. He could have spun an improvised tale about Jonathan's demise that would have worked far better than the tasteless, crass scene they shot.

I really liked the scenes that developed Ruby, and appreciate the depth she's been given this season. She's been such a stereotype for the first two seasons, but now we're getting to see that she is genuinely nice to the people she really cares about, that she drops that cold exterior. I don't really buy that her house wouldn't be nice. She wears expensive clothes, she has a car, she has expensive perfume. It's just a juxtaposition that might seem narratively neat but doesn't work when you think about it.

I also didn't buy that she'd confess her love to Otis so soon. We know that she really, really doesn't like to be vulnerable but suddenly she's prepared to say it over the phone to her very new boyfriend? Nah.

I loved Aimee and Jean - Aimee being distracted and achingly sincere and Jean just being her sympathetic, empathetic self. It's a shame that there's little sign of Aimee figuring out how to fix her sexual identity.

• Love 7
On 9/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, Cranberry said:

Watching a cat get squished by a microwave is not funny. What a misstep from a show I usually think is near-perfect.

Agree, that was utterly vile and soured the rest of the episode.  Even traffic warden guy from Miranda couldn't save it.

I can't abide animal cruelty at the best of times but when it's played for laughs it's horrendous.

• Love 5
On 9/18/2021 at 4:13 AM, Cranberry said:

Watching a cat get squished by a microwave is not funny. What a misstep from a show I usually think is near-perfect

I TOTALLY agree.  I almost didn't watch this one because of it.  I was mad enough to be yelling at the TV.

• Love 7
On 9/17/2021 at 1:08 PM, Aulty said:
On 9/17/2021 at 11:56 AM, Zonk said:

I personally don't think they are necessary, but there is a case to be made for school uniforms. Like not letting poor kids get bullied because they can't afford the newest fashion trend or certain brands.

I held a similar opinion for a long time, but with uniforms the attention just shifts to accessoires, schoolbags, jewellery, make up. And fit. Children who need clothes outside the regular size range, be it plus sized, petite or tall, often struggle.

Yes, there is always a need for self-expression, and if it can't be done with the clothing it will be done with accessories, hair color/style, and make-up. Plus the cool and/or rich kids will always find a way to stand out in appearance, thus making the not-so-cool and not-so-rich kids feel bad. I was kind of outraged that Hope is being so rigid about this and other issues, especially since she started out at the first assembly on what I now see as false pretenses (acting like she was cool and understood the kids because she had been one of them). I don't really understand her character or motivation.

• Love 3

For what reason do they need to kill the cat at the beginning?! This is not funny. It ruined the episode for me. That was a poor decision and I’m not sure what they were thinking. For a show that’s about equal rights and being accepting of everyone, I expect more. Yes, I know animals aren’t humans…but this is the type of “humor” I expect from the same heathens who think you can send a kid away to a camp to get the gay out of him. 

• Love 3

I don't really buy that her house wouldn't be nice. She wears expensive clothes, she has a car, she has expensive perfume. It's just a juxtaposition that might seem narratively neat but doesn't work when you think about it.

Oh, this rang true to me - I've known lots of people who had less than stellar home lives who put on a good show of wealth outside of it if they think it will help them socially. And especially in Ruby's case, I think it makes sense - if her dad is sick, it's much easier for her parents to afford to buy Ruby a nice handbag and some jewelry than move to a nicer house. I did gasp when she said ILY to Otis though - I could see it coming and it was like watching a trainwreck in slow motion.

• Love 4
On 9/18/2021 at 3:21 PM, Danny Franks said:

I also didn't buy that she'd confess her love to Otis so soon. We know that she really, really doesn't like to be vulnerable but suddenly she's prepared to say it over the phone to her very new boyfriend? Nah.

I didn't buy it either. Just way too soon. Otis didn't handle it that well, but it was over the phone and I don't know what else he could have done except, 'we should really talk,' not that wouldn't have bombed as well. 

This whole Jean and Jakob moving the families in is going to implode. 

• Love 1

What the actual fuck?  Ruby keeping her dog in her locker overnight wasn't funny, and a cat being killed sure as hell isn't.  What is wrong with people?  The death of a pet is heartbreaking, and the unexpected, violent death of a pet is utterly traumatizing, especially if you in any way inadvertently caused it.  That's not material for one of the "wacky sex hijinks" openings.

I didn't love episode two, but was looking forward to this one for the promise of a session with Jean and Aimee and just sat down to watch it while taking a lunch break.  Instead I got this crap and am too angry to enjoy my food, let alone watch right now. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1