Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: My Least Favorite Year

• Start Topic

Ah, New Years Eve 2020. I remember it well. The hope, optimism, excitement.  It was going to be a great year…

Alex and Mitch: A couple of people alluded to Alex having skeletons in her closet regarding Mitch. But I though that her speech at the end of last season covered it enough and that apparently made her a feminists darling so I am not sure what else is there to uncover.

Bradley. I don’t understand her sense of betrayal. It is a credit to her that  UBA want to  keep her to anchor the morning show and move the new guy over. They see her as the face of the show and are relying on her to cause less  disruption for the viewers. 

I am glad that the show is back.

Edited by Pink ranger
  • Love 5

I liked it.  

It’s realistic to me that Bradley’s ratings would have dropped.

Morning shows are about consistency and they lost theirs with two new people 

Did Stella get promoted? I don’t remember her being in a bigwig meetings last season.

It seems like they’re making an effort to include more diversity in the decision room there. 

Cory is not trustworthy. 

We knew Alex was coming back but she absolutely cannot trust him and neither can Bradley.

Ultimately he has to do what’s best for the network.  When you are in charge you have to make the tough calls.  Which means that the talent can never trust people in charge at a network.

Also Cory has a ton of chemistry with Alex.

I enjoyed watching him work both women this episode.  He’s basically saying whatever he needs to say to make the show successful no matter what which is realistic. 

Both Alex and Bradley should have agents and people working for them looking out for their interests.

• Love 4

I think it’s absolutely ludicrous of Bradley to even think she deserved a shot at the nightly news anchor chair when she had been working on air for less than a year. Hasn’t she watched Broadcast News?

On 9/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, dmc said:

Both Alex and Bradley should have agents and people working for them looking out for their interests.

We saw Bradley in a scene with her agent in the season premiere episode and Alex with her agents last season.

• Love 6

I was so confused when it said “three months earlier” on the screen after we saw Cory being fired. We know it’s been eight months since Alex left the network. Then Bradley said she saved Cory’s job. So if the “three months earlier” happens before the firing, did he get fired again??  That really threw me off. Cory is totally different too. He was more amused by all the insanity last season, he’s definitely more stressed now that he’s head honcho. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, TimWil said:

I think it’s absolutely ludicrous of Bradley to even think she deserved a shot at the nightly news anchor chair when she had been working on air for less than a year. Hasn’t she watched Broadcast News?

We saw Bradley in a scene with her agent in the season premiere episode and Alex with her agents last season.

oh I know they both have them.  But they both act like they need Cory to be in their court which is not happening.  If either is bad for the network, he has to get rid of them.  He can't move Bradley who already has declining ratings and only a year there to evening news.  He can't promise Alex anything...either.  If Bradley wants to work on evening news, she needs to talk to her agent.  There are other networks with evening news.  

Edited by dmc
  • Love 2

So, Bradley was plucked out of obscurity to co-host TMS. The show blew up, but she was left standing. After being there less than a year, with the ratings tanking, she thinks she deserves to be be the anchor of the nightly news?  She’s lucky she still has a job.  And if the way she got Corey’s job back is by simply telling the board what Hannah told her, she’s no great hero for simply speaking the truth. She should be kissing Corey’s ring for sticking up for her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, TimWil said:

It would be a bit out there for her to immediately get the evening anchor job but I wonder how much time her new co-host has put in? Does he have tons of experience? If not then for him to get the evening gig instead of Bradley? I'd get her upset at that.

When she went to Cory to ask about the job it felt like she was putting her name in because she wanted it, but not that she absolutely thought she'd get it. I think her angry feelings of betrayal were more because everyone else already knew and Cory hadn't told her. So she's feeling like an idiot on top of being disappointed to not get the job. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Pop Tart said:

It would be a bit out there for her to immediately get the evening anchor job but I wonder how much time her new co-host has put in? Does he have tons of experience? If not then for him to get the evening gig instead of Bradley? I'd get her upset at that.

When she went to Cory to ask about the job it felt like she was putting her name in because she wanted it, but not that she absolutely thought she'd get it. I think her angry feelings of betrayal were more because everyone else already knew and Cory hadn't told her. So she's feeling like an idiot on top of being disappointed to not get the job. 

I don't know but Stella made a comment in the decision room when Cory mentioned bringing Alex back that she didn't love the idea of two white women anchors.  It seems like Stella has Cory's old role and Cory has Fred's old role.  So maybe he has more experience or maybe its a  priority now for there to be more diversity on their shows.  And they are finding that diversity within their talent pool already there at the network.  

If Bradley can be plucked from obscurity to be a morning anchor on a whim.  This guy might have been pulled from her show to the the evening news for their line up to be more diverse.   I feel like Bradley is asking for Cory to be her boss and her friend which is difficult.  The truth is she got a job she shouldn't even have and she's not doing well at it.  TV shows are advertisers and ratings.  Ratings are bad, then you lose advertisers.  Both are essential to a successful show.  In that context, who asks for a promotion?

Edited by dmc
  • Love 1

It was nice to see Hasan Minaj. I wonder if they will show more of him now that he’s going to the evening news?

Looking back at New Years 2020, it seems like a lifetime ago. We really were hopeful about a new decade especially with how 2019 went. Since it started with “3 months back” I wonder if the second episode is going to start in March right when all the lockdowns started and shit starting to hit the fan.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 1

Cory is definitely nowhere near as cool and collected as last season.  He could snap at any moment now.   Sometimes, it's not good to be the king.  I don't think he accounted for Alex jumping ship. That's obviously messed up the Morning Show's popularity.

He's right though-as the head honcho, if things aren't working, he has to do something about it, loyalty or friendship be damned.

The scene where the camera went through the quiet and barren streets of New York was eerie. How much of this season is going to happen before the COVID shit hits the fans?

At just the moment Cory thinks he's got things going his way, of course the Hannah ghost comes back to haunt him....

• Love 1
On 9/22/2021 at 12:52 AM, Armchair Critic said:

I assume Alex is going to have Chip come back too. 

I like Jennifer Aniston, but the way she pronunciates is different now because her face seems to be puffed up (botox?)

It's probably fillers. I've noticed it in some pictures of her too. 

• Love 2

OK, I groaned when Mia picked Pakistan and something over running the illness story but then I laughed out loud at the end when Cory was standing with his mouth open reading the ticker and that woman sneezed behind him. Still laughing.

I care so little for political machination and succession stories but so much for snarkTV so I am in!

Why did they bring in this random Eric person and not have Daniel as Alex’s replacement? That created a continuity issue for me. We also see a scene of Daniel still there and based on last season there’s no way he’d have stayed if he was overlooked yet again.

I’m guessing they just decided to use Reese’s real hair instead of dealing with those terrible wigs.

I was sad to see that Claire and Yanko split again. I thought after the finale, she’d have gone back to him.

I hope we get flashbacks of Fred being fired. He was so despicable I need to see that! And I hope we get to see Steve Carrell again at some point. 

Also everyone called it when they said Hannah’s family would file a lawsuit against the network. 

On 9/21/2021 at 1:41 AM, twoods said:

It was nice to see Hasan Minaj. I wonder if they will show more of him now that he’s going to the evening news?

Looking back at New Years 2020, it seems like a lifetime ago. We really were hopeful about a new decade especially with how 2019 went. Since it started with “3 months back” I wonder if the second episode is going to start in March right when all the lockdowns started and shit starting to hit the fan.

I like Hasan Minaj in this. It'd be great to see him on the evening news. 

The timeline confused me a bit and I feel like I want to go back and watch the last episode of Season 1 to get a refresher but, if I recall correctly, that was a particularly said/emotional episode. So I decided to just start with season 1. 

On 9/25/2021 at 4:41 PM, Sweet-tea said:

It's probably fillers. I've noticed it in some pictures of her too. 

Someone else I know mentioned that, too. Maybe I'm just oblivious but I haven't noticed a change in Jennifer Aniston. 

On 10/9/2021 at 7:38 PM, SoWindsor said:

Why did they bring in this random Eric person and not have Daniel as Alex’s replacement? That created a continuity issue for me. We also see a scene of Daniel still there and based on last season there’s no way he’d have stayed if he was overlooked yet again.

I’m guessing they just decided to use Reese’s real hair instead of dealing with those terrible wigs.

I was sad to see that Claire and Yanko split again. I thought after the finale, she’d have gone back to him.

I hope we get flashbacks of Fred being fired. He was so despicable I need to see that! And I hope we get to see Steve Carrell again at some point. 

Also everyone called it when they said Hannah’s family would file a lawsuit against the network. 

I'm OK with wigs but I wish they had given Reese a better one. 

I liked Claire and Yanko together and I also enjoyed her character. I was disappointed that she wasn't in the episode. 

I think it would have made sense for Daniel to replace Alex maybe the network has never considered him as next-in-line and that's why he was looking elsewhere? Also, since he declined the opportunity at the other network, I can see him sticking around until he makes his next move. It seems like these positions are all about timing. I do enjoy Eric, though. 

I thought this was kind of mind-blowingly bad.

Let me count the ways: The big time skip PLUS the constant weird mini-time-jumps, the continuity errors, the characters being written as completely different people? I mean, WTF?

I liked season one. I don't think it will change the world, but it was entertaining.

So what the hell is this? Why did everyone have a personality transplant? Alex runs for the hills and is a semi-joke now where everyone openly hates her? Bradley suddenly thinks she's Katie Couric? And (worst of all) Cory is suddenly a sycophantic sweaty pleaser?

I just found so much of this sloppy and unbelievable and badly written. 

And I hate criticizing women for their plastic surgery choices (entertainment is so tough and unforgiving), but please, for the love of God, I wish Jennifer Aniston would stop with the plastic surgery. She is beautiful and lovely, so kudos -- but actingwise, she can't move her face, to the extent that her lips don't move and her lines are all mushmouthed. She sounds drunk, and I'm sure she's not. If it's something genuinely medical, I apologize, but as someone hard of hearing it's very distracting (thank goodness for cc).

I'll keep going for a few more to see if it's just me. But I found this so disappointing and hard to follow.