Type keyword(s) to search

Only Speculation Without Spoilers In the Thread

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I have a mashup idea of these theories, plus mine.

1. Teddy or maybe Theo, or maybe even be Nina's baby daddy (if he met Bunny at the diner about retiring and the blimp so she was familiar with him) comes to Bunny's apartment, greeted by "What the f*ck do you want?"
  2. Bunny has a heart attack! 
  3. Teddy or Theo baby daddy or whoever runs out of the apartment. 
  4. Kreps was spying on someone in the building and happened to see this go down.
    He drags Bunny into Mable's apartment for the frame up --- texting them to get out so he has time to stab Bunny's corpse with the knife and knitting needle.
11 minutes ago, LadyintheLoop said:

Bunny was still alive when Mabel found her. And bleeding profusely.

Oops. Right. 

Maybe Bunny did have a heart attack, appeared to be dead, but wasn't? 

But probably not. 

I like this, but I think we're reasonably certain from the diner video that it was a man who Bunny met there.

Also, Bunny's reaction to the person that she let into her apartment who (presumably) killed her was "What the f*ck do you want?" which sounds very familiar, but could be Alice if Bunny had already told her no to the painting, but we have no clue to that happening.

Ooo!
I have a mashup idea of these theories, plus mine.

1. Teddy or maybe Theo, or maybe even be Nina's baby daddy (if he met Bunny at the diner about retiring and the blimp so she was familiar with him) comes to Bunny's apartment, greeted by "What the f*ck do you want?"
  2. Bunny has a heart attack! 
  3. Teddy or Theo baby daddy or whoever runs out of the apartment. 
  4. Kreps was spying on someone in the building and happened to see this go down.
    He drags Bunny into Mable's apartment for the frame up --- texting them to get out so he has time to stab Bunny's corpse with the knife and knitting needle.

I think it’s as plausible as mine or any other speculation! I’m worried there will be deus ex machina or no solution. I’m very close to being out. I want a light-hearted mystery not a multi-year saga.

• Hugs 1

I'm rewatching and I'm really questioning if it is Cinda that Kreps is talking about as the smartest woman in the world.  In episode 6, he's yelling at both sets of podcasters to stop podcasting. I got no sense that he was connected to Cinda. Could have been a ruse, but it does not jibe with the later episode.

So confused.

Edited by cardigirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm sticking with my theory of Ursula's malfeasance.

Who tanked the Tim Kono investigation? There's no evidence that Jan could have had it done, or that some nameless higher-up in the police would have had a motive. Unless Detective Williams was lying all along the only person we've seen who could have done it was Krebs.

Why would someone other than the murderer want the investigation shut down? Because someone in the building had something to hide from the police. (If there's another reason I'd love to hear it.)

Even if he's also Cinda's willing henchman I think Krebs is working on Ursula's behalf; he either murdered Bunny himself or he's helping her get away with it. If she's arrested she could cut a deal and testify about his betrayal of the public trust.

On 8/21/2022 at 10:10 PM, FGomez said:

Yes, that was me. Jan is a crazy woman that killed Tim and almost killed Charles basically without a motive. Not again

Well, I was wrong. The writers did it again. A crazy woman with no real motive to kill Bunny. No hints whatsoever until the very end of episode 9. No relation Poppy-painting. And the scene where Lucy saw Poppy and heard the parrot is time-incoherent with her killing Bunny. Completely unsolvable murder. I read some posters saying "I knew it" in Howard style. Sorry, this was unsolvable.

The comedy is always great. The killer reveal party was excellent. I just wonder why they can't pay a decent mystery writer to take charge of the mystery part of the series.

Edited by FGomez
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

I've been very active in this thread during this season and I used a questionable model for my theories. Now that the season ended, I would like to evaluate that model.

I said "I don't care what characters say because there are no hints, it is all comedy and red herrings". Well, I think this happened to be correct. The "I am Becky" reveal came out of the blue in the last scene in episode 9. Nothing could have made us think of this possibility before she herself confessed.

I thought out best chance was to look where the directors didn't expect us to look. I focused in the images of the masked characters. After watching the finale, I thought I had done a very bad job, but after knowing that Poppy (and I think also Kreps) used body doubles, then well, not that bad. I had said there was at least 3 different masked actors and indeed there were maybe four.

In fact, I think these images were the best hints we had, even if the first one was unintended.

PoppyMabelTestMergedImages-4.png.3522da24546ceb4f14d87e1b28280874.png

MergedImages-3copia.thumb.png.9526aae70ff0a19c42e883cdf64e2985.png

There is one mistake that I would like to correct for the future. Once I made a guess, I was stubborn and not prone to revise it. Even after reading the opinion of other posters and having new evidence. If I had been able to recognize Poppy's lips after ep.5 and Kreps' hand, then maybe my theories would have been closer to the "solution"

To sum up. I think my approach happened to be correct, but my execution could have been better. Maybe next season.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, FGomez said:

There is one mistake that I would like to correct for the future. Once I made a guess, I was stubborn and not prone to revise it. Even after reading the opinion of other posters and having new evidence. If I had been able to recognize Poppy's lips after ep.5 and Kreps' hand, then maybe my theories would have been closer to the "solution"

To sum up. I think my approach happened to be correct, but my execution could have been better. Maybe next season.

I'm glad you didn't figure it out! 
Even though this thread is for speculation without spoilers, there were too many spoilers and leaks being paraded as theories for anyone to be entirely spoiler free, which ultimately didn't matter, but is not what I prefer.
From the last episode thread:

12 hours ago, Cranberry said:

Hulu sent screeners to a number of reviewers, some of whom were unscrupulous and leaked major spoilers. Collider accidentally posted a spoiler-filled article before they meant to, and although they took it down, the damage had already been done (and a cached copy of the article was still available). Also, some Russian leakers posted multiple screenshots (possibly some video?) and a synopsis of the finale... so there were a ton more spoilers floating around than there were in season one. I hope that next season, Hulu learns from that and does not send out screeners of the final episode(s) -- or if they do (so that reviewers/recappers can have their finale articles ready to post right after the finale), they send them just a day or two before and not a couple weeks.

But the reason you didn't figure it out was apparently due to the use of body doubles, as explained in this interview with Adina Verson, who played Poppy/Becky:

TVLINE | We saw quite a bit of Bunny’s killer, either masked or from behind, before the big reveal — first when she approached Bunny’s front door, then inside the Arcatacombs, then in diner surveillance footage. Did you shoot any of that, or did you have a stand-in?
VERSON | It was me inside the Arcatacombs. Originally I was supposed to do all of those [scenes], but [that changed] after we did Episode 4. I remember I put on the suit and the mask, but you could still make out the shape of my legs. It was clearly a specific body type, so they had me go back up and put on big Carhartt pants. At one point, the director was like, “Umm, can you hunch just so we don’t see your breasts?” [Laughs] It was just a very physical scene — don’t show my legs, walk a different way, hold my weight differently, hunch my shoulders — so after that, they said we need to have [a stand-in]. Also, being on location, passersby wouldn’t go, “Oh, that’s the actor who plays Poppy sitting with Bunny!”

https://tvline.com/lists/only-murders-in-the-building-bunny-killer-becky-butler-poppy-explained/adina-verson-interview-2/

I think I'm too old for all this TV cloak and dagger crap. 
Maybe I will need to stay off line next season?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the last season, the "narrator" of the beginning/end of the episode changed each episode, and culminated in the murderer (Poppy) being the narrator. I think there was a similar pattern in the first season.

The narrator in the first episode was Loretta, wasn't it? And then Kimber was the third. Does that rule them out? Who was the second episode?

53 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The narrator in the first episode was Loretta, wasn't it? And then Kimber was the third. Does that rule them out?

Good theory but I looked and Poppy also narrated the sixth episode. 

56 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Who was the second episode?

Ben

100% the video in tonight’s episode of Ben in his dressing room? He was talking to a plate of cookies. I do not believe there was another person in there. 

someone in the episode thread speculated Ben GlenRoy is/was actually triplets who shared roles- Ben, Glen, and Roy. The way MaryKate Ashley Olsen was the billing on Full House. He got his start as a child actor and they usually hire multiples so they can switch kids out for work limit reasons. And then we have the triplets in the “play”. 
I know it’s insane, but I kind of really like this theory. 

The death of stage was one of the triplets, the elevator shaft was another. And there’s a third in hiding. Or maybe the third killed the elevator shaft one!! Jealously or something. 

Edited by HelloooKitty
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Another suspect from the Vulture recap:

…with the cast united against Oliver, Charles sees an opening to get closer to his suspects and do some investigating. As they complain about this new direction Oliver’s taking the play in, Charles casually suggests they protest by throwing their handkerchiefs at his feet. The cast all agrees to bring in their hankies — though we notably didn’t get a verbal affirmative from Bobo.…

https://www.vulture.com/article/only-murders-in-the-building-recap-season-3-episode-3-grab-your-hankies.html

And from the same recap:

But could this “elephant” actually have been Ben? Is it possible that Tobert had the opportunity to intervene and save Ben but chose cinéma vérité instead?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Applause 1

This has nothing to do with our show, but, from the same article: “After attempting to write the entire musical in one night (which I suspect is how Cats happened),”

made me laugh! Also, add some cocaine, and 100% that’s how we got starlight express. 

• Like 3

The whole business about how Ben can't have cookies -- not sugar, carbs or calories, just cookies -- seems weirdly specific. Maybe Ben's real issue is a severe nut allergy; gourmet cookie stores post notices that they can't guarantee against cross-contamination. Someone could have baked him a nice batch with nut flour.

Is the hanky in Ben's hand necessarily significant? Maybe he just ordered a dozen and had a few left over.   

• Useful 1
55 minutes ago, LadyintheLoop said:

The whole business about how Ben can't have cookies -- not sugar, carbs or calories, just cookies -- seems weirdly specific. Maybe Ben's real issue is a severe nut allergy; gourmet cookie stores post notices that they can't guarantee against cross-contamination. Someone could have baked him a nice batch with nut flour.

Is the hanky in Ben's hand necessarily significant? Maybe he just ordered a dozen and had a few left over.   

I assumed he just couldn't control himself around cookies, because he is so fond of cookies. He is a cookieholic, but he can take or leave cake and potatoes.

• Like 1

Ben's Girl Cop tattoos on his left fingers are different in E01 and E02.

Is there more than one (1) Ben OR it's just a continuity error?

From E01, Table Read Ben and Elevator Ben have GC tattoos.

Tattoo - Table Read Ben 3.jpg

Tattoo - Elevator Ben 3.jpg

From E02, Dressing Room Ben has CG tattoos.

Tattoo - Dressing Room Ben 3.jpg

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
7 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Ben's Girl Cop tattoos on his left fingers are different in E01 and E02.

Is there more than one (1) Ben OR it's just a continuity error?

From E01, Table Read Ben and Elevator Ben have GC tattoos.

Tattoo - Table Read Ben 3.jpg

Tattoo - Elevator Ben 3.jpg

From E02, Dressing Room Ben has CG tattoos.

Tattoo - Dressing Room Ben 3.jpg

It has occurred to my completely unspoiled and clueless self that Ben might have a twin and that the issues with cookies might have something to do with weight gain/ keeping them so they look alike. On the other hand Rudd could have washed his hands. That's some hard core observation, though!

Edited by Affogato
  • Like 1
(edited)

List of Season 3 Suspects

Have I forgotten anyone, or is there anyone who has been eliminated as a suspect? If so, I can edit this post for at least a week.

Feel free to copy and paste this list without using a quote box.

• Loretta
  • Kimber
  • Tobert
  • Howard
  • Jonathan (the understudy)
  • Donna and/or...
  • Cliff (producers)
  • Dickie (brother)
  • Bobo (without a hankie?)
  • Tom (other Death Rattle cast member played by Joel Waggoner)
  • Ty (other Death Rattle cast member played by Gerald Caesar)
  • KT (stage manager played by Allison Guinn)
  • Joy (Charles' flame)
  • Cinda Canning (added after 3.4 White Room)

And, as per @AnimeMania, also:

• Charles
  • Oliver
  • Mabel
Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

There was that lady who was taking down the sets, (Stage Manager?)

Charles

Oliver

Mabel

Thanks!

I added:

and also:

• Joy (Charles' flame)

but am going to leave Charles, Mabel, and Oliver off the list   
— for now.😼

Edited by shapeshifter

but am going to leave Charles, Mabel, and Oliver off the list   

It would be easy enough to rig it so that Ben's body was pulled into the elevator shaft or already in the elevator shaft and dropped when someone decided to use the elevator. Charles, Mabel, and Oliver appear to have an alibi because they were together when Ben fell when he was pushed, but anybody could have set up the murder ahead of time if Ben was pulled.

7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

It would be easy enough to rig it so that Ben's body was pulled into the elevator shaft or already in the elevator shaft and dropped when someone decided to use the elevator. Charles, Mabel, and Oliver appear to have an alibi because they were together when Ben fell when he was pushed, but anybody could have set up the murder ahead of time if Ben was pulled.

If this was a one-shot movie, Charles, Mabel, and Oliver would definitely be on my who-dunnit list. But as it is, that would be like putting Sherlock Holmes on a suspect list. Or Nick and Nora. Or Castle. I'm not saying that none of those hero/good guys would absolutely never kill someone, but it would have to be for self-defense or to prevent the victim from killing someone else, and it wouldn't be a deep dark secret in the midst of a murder investigation...
would it?

• Like 1

I'm not saying that none of those hero/good guys would absolutely never kill someone, but it would have to be for self-defense or to prevent the victim from killing someone else, and it wouldn't be a deep dark secret in the midst of a murder investigation...
would it?

But right now, there is no official murder investigation, only "one of the three" seems to feel that investigating the possibility is worthy of their time. Charles says that Kimber didn't have her "hankie", but he didn't bother to check if anybody else did.

1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

But right now, there is no official murder investigation, only "one of the three" seems to feel that investigating the possibility is worthy of their time. Charles says that Kimber didn't have her "hankie", but he didn't bother to check if anybody else did.

Okay. I added them as a sort of addendum for now, but will totally bump them up if any of them steps out of line.😉

• Like 1
(edited)

These 2 shots from about the 3 minute mark of 3.3 "Grab Your Hankies" add some more potential suspects.

First in Oliver's apartment, where he's workshopping the rewrite of the play into a musical, with his line of "Look at this cast. They're all killers" referring to them being "killers" in the thespian sense, not the literal:omitb-suspects.thumb.jpg.76681996d056bb7f442404a4185fe6f0.jpg
Note the roles of Ty ("The Father"), Charles ("The Constable"), Jonathan ("The Detective"), Kim ("The Godmother"), and Bobo ("The Boatman).
Since I presume Charles the Constable is innocent of murder, that makes think Jonathan the Detective is too. 

Then, from Charles and Mabel's murder board, captioned with Charles line, delivered for the podcast in a voice that sounds exactly how William Conrad would have spoken as the narrator for the Rocky and Bullwinkle show:
 omitb-suspects2.jpg.d557f59f14c3aaf635a02a6e403c2fd9.jpg

Note the 4 additional Crew members on the bottom row.🤔
Anyone able to identify them from this IMDb page: imdb.com/title/tt11691774/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm ?

And "Any one of them could be the killer" would include Charles and Oliver!😯

Edited by shapeshifter
word
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Note the 4 additional Crew members on the bottom row.

If the Podcasters can get great pictures of the crew members for their murder board, they should also be able to get their names.

• Like 2

Were they talking about Joy in this scene?

Joy was the MUA for Brazzos (don’t know for which seasons) but Ben was fired after a table read. Did they know each other through other TV shows?

Did Joy really warn Ben about Charles or was she bluffing, exaggerating to her new fiancé?

Joy: "You have me now. I'm the omelet. I'm gonna look out for you, Charlie. Just like I did with Ben Glenroy. He knew if he touched one hair on your gorgeous little head, he was gonna have to deal with me.”

S02 E10 - Ben to Stay Away.jpg

EDITED:

After watching S03•E05, we now know that HER is Loretta.

Edited by Snazzy Daisy

So what are the odds that this season’s murderer will be revealed in song, maybe even on stage?

Vote with a smiley face for “yes”, sad face for “no!”

Edited by tkc
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 3

I'ma going to put this in spoilers. I have a completely wild guess based on only a few observations, and I have been wrong the past two seasons, so I have no particular powers but I think the murderer may be

Spoiler

Bobo

Check at your own risk, and don't comment until show's end. Thanks! 😘

I am going to go out on a limb and say Dickie is the murderer.

I have no specific evidence, only a sense, so far, that he has been under his brother's shadow his whole life. 

He's meek, unassuming, always in the background. I think we will come to find out that he eventually couldn't take it anymore and wanted to have his own independent career (and he got started quite fast getting Loretta that job). 

I guess the only suspicious thing we have seen about him in the show was him going to Ben's apartment all alone.

One could chug that up to him finalizing the tasks after a family member dies, but he didn't do the typical stuff one does in that situation. No packing of clothes, no organising, no classification of stuff, no movers or boxes... What was he doing in the apartment?

And Mabel was conveniently distracted from properly spying on Dickie. I can see a flashback sequence during the eventual reveal at the end of the season where we find out what exactly Dickie was looking for in that scene.

(I reserve the right to change my opinion as more episodes air 😆)

• Like 3

Well, if Dickie is Loretta’s son like I feel the last episode implied, I could see him being the murderer. Ben’s treatment of her could have set him off, especially if he had just learned of their connection and were reunited. He snapped.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HelloooKitty said:

Well, if Dickie is Loretta’s son like I feel the last episode implied, I could see him being the murderer. Ben’s treatment of her could have set him off, especially if he had just learned of their connection and were reunited. He snapped.  

Or if he was the murderer and Oliver and the gang found him out and he went to jail, that might end any potential romance with him and Loretta.

• Like 1

On the opening night, Charles punched Ben on the (lower) left side of his face.

But at Oliver’s party, when he returned from the dead, we can clearly see the red mark was on the right side of his face.

Similar to the GC/CG tattoos mismatch, is there more than 1 Ben OR it’s another continuity error? 🤔

4BE0EB43-D511-426B-BF35-9A6169189DF7.jpeg

95BCC204-A07D-44E0-BDB8-0F723E47A434.jpeg

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

On the opening night, Charles punched Ben on the (lower) left side of his face.

But at Oliver’s party, when he returned from the dead, we can clearly see the red mark was on the right side of his face.

Similar to the GC/CG tattoos mismatch, is there more than 1 Ben OR it’s another continuity error? 🤔

Or is that red from the "blood" that was coming out of his mouth?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

It could be.

It looks like a contusion to me.

I remember when I watched the episode being appalled at the fact the hospital didn't clean him up much. There was still blood on his face, which he said was because he bit his tongue when he passed out. (ouch!)   

• Like 2
10 hours ago, HelloooKitty said:

I'll see your long lost mother and raise you a legitimate son. Here's the scenario:

* Dickie's parents adopted him because they tried and tried to have a baby and couldn't

* Dickie was the "star" for a while, enjoying all the attention and love from his new parents

* As it sometimes happens, Dickie's mom eventually did get pregnant, even though they were no longer trying to have a baby. They thought she was barren or he was shooting blanks and were not using protection

* Ben is born and is considered a "miracle baby". As such, he gets even more attention than a second child would normally get

* Dickie gets sidelined hard. He's not the biological son and he's not special

* The family's finances tank because they were not able to afford two children and had only been planning on having just the one

* Dickie is old enough to understand the situation and perhaps interprets (or the parents outright tell him) that he (Dickie) is the extra burden. They can't send him back now and they will never give up their bio son (Ben)

* Perhaps Ben is also sickly during his first few months (born prematurely of a womb that wasn't supposed to be able to carry him, maybe?). This adds to the amount of care and attention baby Ben gets, and conditions Dickie to always be watching over Ben, taking care of him, etc. 

* Ben eventually pulls through but mom is always worried for him and fusses over him constantly, adding more kindling to Dickie's resentment

* Ben becomes a child actor and starts supporting the family financially. More praise, love and gratitude goes to Ben, while Dickie's contributions are ignored

You get the idea. 

All of this is wild, wild speculation on my part, off course. If I end up being right, I will submit this post to a writer's room somewhere in the hopes of getting a job 😁

Edited by WearyTraveler
Grammar, it's always grammar
  • Useful 1

I have a suspicion that Mabel and Torbert are going to become a romantic thing and she might move in with him.  Also, he may be the person buying her aunt's apartment.  This would solve her living arrangement problem and keep her in the building.  I also think he is going to figure into the overall scenario in other ways than we've been shown so far, including being a possible murder suspect although I have no opinion yet on whether he might be the murderer.  It's all just random speculation at this point.

• Like 1

Just refreshing our suspect list.

Any correction suggestions are very welcome!

And feel free to copy and paste this list without using a quote box.

List of Season 3 Suspects

• Loretta
  • Kimber (the ingenue)
  • Tobert
  • Howard
  • Jonathan (the understudy)
  • Donna and/or...
  • Cliff (producers)
  • Dickie (brother)
  • Bobo (without a hankie?)
  • Tom (other Death Rattle cast member played by Joel Waggoner)
  • Ty (other Death Rattle cast member played by Gerald Caesar)
  • Joy (Charles' flame)
  • Cinda Canning

And, just to be complete:

• Charles
  • Oliver
  • Mabel
On 8/31/2023 at 12:17 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

Are you suggesting there is a CoBro? Or maybe the third of the Glenroy triplets did it!

1 hour ago, tkc said:

Are you suggesting there is a CoBro? Or maybe the third of the Glenroy triplets did it!

CoBro - Codependent Brothers? 🤔

There’s a lot of emphasis on number 3 this season - triplets situation or 3 killers?

Even the word “gooseberry” means an unwanted third person to two other persons.

• Useful 3