Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Her Little Power Move

• Start Topic

Ethan puts his foot down about his mom coming onto his property; Moriah and Olivia talk babies, birth control and boys; the Plath family has an unexpected surprise for Micah on his 20th birthday. 

(Sorry, unable to use quote tags on my phone)

Airs 08/31/2021

Edited by emmawoodhouse

The awkwardness of this whole episode...  

I understand a bit more about Olivia and why she has distance from Ethan.  I see sadness there as  she waits for him to choose his own path.  And the relief of a miscarriage at 22.  And the shame of being relieved.

Micah and Moriah are emotionally so young.  It is concerning.  Whether it is Micah not wearing a helmut and going on 2 wheels on his ATV, or Moriah's relationship with Max.

And Lydia and the prayer closet is just uncomfortable.

Yes, I believe Kim has an inflated sense of self and is a master manipulator.  And it frustrates her when Ethan won't kowtow.

Mostly, watching this show leaves me feeling a bit hollow.  But I watch to see if it will get better for these children.

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, PDXlulu said:

Yes, I believe Kim has an inflated sense of self and is a master manipulator.

And...remember her bragging about her former boyfriends-- especially the ones invited to her wedding?

She married the perfect Milquetoast. Kim is a fascinating study...just watching her "talking head" interviews.  She is the definition of haughty with every thought and proclamation on her sweet and perfect face.  I hope in a few years, we won't learn about a Plath criminal or two--of the worst sort.

• Love 5

I think Ethan and Olivia want to go their separate ways, but neither wants to be the one to say it. They both used each other in a good way - escape from their parents and the fundamentalist culture - but now that they’re free, they’re beginning to learn more about themselves as individuals and finding that they don’t have all that much in common other than their upbringing. They’re both extremely young. I don’t even remember what I was doing at 22 years old, but I definitely wasn’t thinking about marriage. Ethan seems checked out and looks increasingly uncomfortable on camera.

I can understand why he’s grown distant from his family. It must be hard to see Moriah and Micah spend time at the Plath house knowing that had it not been for Ethan, those two probably would still be stuck there. It was sad to see him call that elderly man his best friend. Ethan would really benefit from going to trade school, continuing therapy, and moving on with his life.

• Love 8

Sad.  Ethan and Olivia are miles apart.  They need to say goodbye.  He was once so in love with her.  He was her grasshopper.  But she grew weary of being lead and he is unable to assume that role.

Mariah looks so good without that red lipstick but so bad in those butt cheek shorts.  She's sweet and sensitive but a handful to the fundamental church family.

Ethan was so disrespectful to his mother insisting she is only allowed at the end of the driveway.  Who does that?  Trying to look big and bad but failing miserably.

Ethan doesn't want to leave Cairo.  He loves it there.  It's his home and what he knows.  He needs some good counseling.  He is so unhappy.  It troubles me.

• Love 3

Olivia thinks moving to another city will solve all of her problems but it won’t solve her issues with Kim. I’m also guessing if they break up and she doesn’t have Ethan, his siblings or the TV show, she will be lonely and unhappy. Ethan has made it clear he is willing to move but wants space to tinker with his cars. Olivia thinks she will become famous if she lives in a big city but a wedding photographer is not likely to be famous . I think they do love each other but you can’t change your partner, only yourself. Perhaps things would be better if she didn’t want to keep pushing Ethan to do different things when he was happy the way he is.

• Love 7
On 9/2/2021 at 3:57 AM, Jeanne222 said:

Ethan was so disrespectful to his mother insisting she is only allowed at the end of the driveway.  Who does that?  Trying to look big and bad but failing miserably.

Personally, I think Kim deserves it.  She RULES the entire family with her unfair Commandments.  Finally, the three adult children have had enough.   I don't think it was "failing miserably."  Ethan stood his ground and I'm proud of him.  Although Queen Kim will never get it, many viewers do.  (I don't believe for a minute that Kim "needed the car.")

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 17
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Mariah looks so good without that red lipstick but so bad in those butt cheek shorts. 

I agree about the RED lipstick....and creating BIG lips.  I've said too often; she needs a makeover.  Sad.

I think she looks great in those shorts...it's that there are few places she can wear them "appropriately."  Here's a good place.

.image.thumb.png.71e7bd74ea7a04eb96986735799ad0ac.png

• Love 3

Moriah is a textbook example of an immature teenager rebelling against her stifled upbringing. She seems to enjoy flaunting her sexuality, especially when it makes others (her parents) uncomfortable. Her style choices are dictated by whatever is the opposite of what her parents allowed, rather than what looks good on her — and that’s unfortunate since so many things would look good on her. She’s aimless and self-absorbed, which is not abnormal given the circumstances, but I hope for her own sake that she’s able to grow up enough to someday be embarrassed by how she acted at 18. I also hope she learns from Olivia and Ethan that it would be a mistake to marry Max, or at least to wait until she’s 25 or so before settling down.

The scene where she could not successfully read the same two sentences off a page after multiple attempts was telling. In earlier episodes/seasons, we learned that she’s not much of a reader and didn’t enjoy school. I’ve wondered if she has a learning disability that her parents either didn’t recognize or didn’t think needed to be addressed. Moriah may sense that she’s missed out on a lot not only due to being isolated, but by struggling to learn or function in situations that require literacy and numeracy. 

Olivia and Ethan have always seemed like a terrible match to me. She openly looks down on him and treats him like a tiresome rube. In contrast to Ethan, she is quite worldly and sophisticated. Compared to her peers, meh. Basic. A little dull, with a mean streak. Also on a lipstick journey. Fair-skinned women with cool undertones, if you listen to nothing else I say, hear this: MAUVE. Mauve is a color you can wear and not look like a sex clown. Try Clinique’s Whole Lotta Honey or Tarte’s Rum Punch. Just try!

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I think Olivia was right about Ethan being unable to make his own decisions, which is quite sad. Therapy would do him a world of good. But the future of the marriage doesn't look bright.  At least Kim let Lydia go to Ethan and Olivia's house alone.  Does Ethan have a job?

Moriah and Micah still have a lot of growing up to do.  Not unusual for their age, but their upbringing puts them at a real disadvantage.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Personally, I think Kim deserves it.  She RULES the entire family with her unfair Commandments.  Finally, the three adult children have had enough.   I don't think it was "failing miserably."  Ethan stood his ground and I'm proud of him.  Although Queen Kim will never get it, many viewers do.  (I don't believe for a minute that Kim "needed the car.")

I bet the oldest daughter also flew the coop because of Kim. She did it in an approved fashion, and may never have voiced that she was escaping, as the three next youngest did, but from their comments, they rarely see or hear from her. Kim's still blaming the kids, though. When you're four for four in kids taking off and going into various forms of low-to-no contact with you as soon as they're legally able to, maybe it's not the kids, because the four kids have very different personalities. What could be the common denominator? Kim will probably say, "SATAN????"

• Love 6
11 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I’ve wondered if she has a learning disability that her parents either didn’t recognize or didn’t think needed to be addressed.

Was it Moriah who told her mother she is realizing she needs "more education"?  Kim was shocked, ah say...shocked, and self-righteously informed Moriah that she did very well on the 12th grade standardized tests (probably administered by KIM of ALL THINGS).

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Was it Moriah who told her mother she is realizing she needs "more education"?  Kim was shocked, ah say...shocked, and self-righteously informed Moriah that she did very well on the 12th grade standardized tests (probably administered by KIM of ALL THINGS).

It was either Moriah or Micah, when they sat outside at that uncomfortable metal cafe table in the middle of the yard, right? I vaguely recall that happening!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Chicken Fingers said:

When you're four for four in kids taking off and going into various forms of low-to-no contact with you as soon as they're legally able to, maybe it's not the kids

As the philosopher Raylan Givens said "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

Of the four that have grown up and left two, Milan and Moriah, have returned and we have no idea about the older sibling who prefers privacy but seems quite talented. 

So that leaves Ethan and his Waterloo has always been Olivia who has caused problems with his family and seems to have no good relationship with her own family. 

Kim and Barry are raising good kids according to their religious and personal guidelines. 

To say they are wrong opens up criticism of how each of us are raising our own families according to our beliefs. 

Edited by Jeanne222
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

So that leaves Micah and his Waterloo has always been Olivia who has caused problems with his family and seems to have no good relationship with her own family. 

Micah's Waterloo?  Maybe Olivia's husband, Ethan?   KIM started the problems by "managing" their dating, their wedding, and how/when/where the married couple would associate with the family...especially the kids.  The only way to avoid her dominance is to leave home...and we see how difficult that is.  Although she knows enough, she did NOT prepare anyone for "life."   (Not so sure there's a Waterloo...yet.)

5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Kim and Barry are raising good kids according to their religious and personal guidelines. 

To say they are wrong opens up criticism of how each of us are raising our own families according to our beliefs. 

I agree they "are raising good kids according to their religious and personal guidelines."  Sadly, they will have to remain in Kim's Kloister in order to live THAT life.   I won't go into the obvious...the shock of life outside a convent or monastery. 

This forum used to be called "Television Without Pity."  It was all about criticism; some of us are holdovers.

We're ALL open to criticism on how we raise our families according to our beliefs.  We know most are doing the best they can; they're just not basking in the glow of CELEBRITY like Kim.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Kim was shocked, ah say...shocked, and self-righteously informed Moriah that she did very well on the 12th grade standardized tests (probably administered by KIM of ALL THINGS).

I went to elementary school 1946-54, and I don't know how long our "standardized tests" were given in schools.  My two younger sisters and I practically RAN home after we got our grades ...  12th grade reading level ~ 12th grade arithmetic level ~ blahblahblay.  This always happened to us around fifth grade.  I'm not so sure Kim's "standardized" test would get her kids into community college.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Of the four that have grown up and left two, Milan and Moriah, have returned and we have no idea about the older sibling who prefers privacy but seems quite talented. 

So that leaves Micah and his Waterloo has always been Olivia who has caused problems with his family and seems to have no good relationship with her own family. 

Micah and Moriah live in their own house but do still visit with Kim and Barry. Hosanna and Ethan both have their own home and at least Ethan is not seeing his parents. These children were raised with very little education, strict gender roles and were never allowed to have friends or participate in any activities where they could make friends. It looks like they went to a yearly church picnic but that was it. I feel it is completely wrong to isolate your children, insist they don’t go to college and insist they can’t have friends. Isaac is a teenage boy who is required to spend all his time with his sisters and parents. Lydia appears to suffer from anxiety and possibly depression. I see nothing good on how these children were raised. 

• Love 14
20 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

So that leaves Ethan and his Waterloo has always been Olivia who has caused problems with his family and seems to have no good relationship with her own family. 

Jeanne222, I think a lot of would love to wrap our kids in bubble wrap to keep them safe. That's just not the reality of life. I'd much rather try to teach them how to be a good person while avoiding negative people and influences. Kim and Barry are sending ill-prepared young adults into a sometimes scary world. Ethan is the perfect example. He's an adult with a great work ethic and seems a good young man, but struggles with basic adult communication skills. That's 100% on his parents.  Him not seeking and sticking with therapy is on him.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I think these Fundy families are more social than we know. 
Any of us that follow the Duggar’s or the Bates might think they never saw another living person 

But we’ve come to see and realize there is a lot of socializing going on within their ‘kind’!

Kids have their own personalities no matter how they are raised. 

I have one son who would never care if he left his front porch again.  Retired AirForce. 

I have a daughter who’s never missed a party or gathering. 

Ethan had his way and married Olivia a bad match and here we are.  He could get an education or go to a trade school but he prefers to tinker on old cars in that garage. 

You can’t fix a lazy, under achieving person. That’s in them. 

He’s had several years and mentoring by Olivia and he’s still tinkering. That’s just who Ethan is!

Ethan works full time as a mechanic so I don’t call it lazy. The Plath kids have said they were not allowed to socialize with other kids growing up. I think the Plaths are different than other fundies. Barry and Kim went to college and were free spirited hippie types who wanted to have an off the grid type existence. But that existence only applies to their kids. Just like Kim wants the girls to only wear long skirts but doesn’t dress that way herself.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 5

Full time in that little shop is not a career. More like a past time. 

Michelle Dugger liked to jiggle her ta ta’s when she mowed the lawn in her bikini and here we are. 

We had a Seventh Day Adventist family as neighbors. They did things differently than most of us but I always thought that was their business. 

The Plath family don’t have the problems a lot of families are dealing with right now. Teen pregnancy, drugs, alcohol , divorce.  

Ethan met Olivia and lost his mind, Moriah was always a wild child pushing limits and Micah loves the spotlight .  In spite of their family. 

Families produce children with all kinds of personalities.   

I think the Plath kids were allowed to socialize, but only with like-minded families and only with adults present at all times to supervise.  Personally, I wanted my children to be exposed to people who were different (religion, race, beliefs, etc.) because that's what makes up the world and they need to learn how to get along with everyone.  Of course, there were plenty of discussions about why we didn't share some of those beliefs.  The main job of parents is to raise children who can live independently and think for themselves.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, camom said:

I think the Plath kids were allowed to socialize, but only with like-minded families and only with adults present at all times to supervise.

And even THAT ended.  If the show explained the reason, I've forgotten.  My bet would be that KIM had other ideas, so all socializing stopped.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Barry and Kim went to college and were free spirited hippie types who wanted to have an off the grid type existence. But that existence only applies to their kids. Just like Kim wants the girls to only wear long skirts but doesn’t dress that way herself.

• Kim remembers too well her "free-spirited" days and must have had some bad/sad outcomes.
  • She also told us of her bad upbringing...by an alcoholic mother.  She just went overboard AS a mother trying to compensate.
  • They're not really "off-the-grid," in that they have all the comforts of electricity, appliances, vehicles, etc.  KIM has cellphones and a computer.  She just doesn't want her children to know (and request) the advantages most other kids have.  Kim's a despot: a ruler who has absolute power.
  • And don't question any aspect of that power.
Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 6
On 9/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, Jeanne222 said:

Perhaps, but "we" are not opening our lives up to the world on a reality show. Huge difference.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I don't understand what the beef is with Kim/Barry and Ethan/Olivia when it's clear that Kim/Barry allowed Moriah and her boyfriend in their home only to be subjected to watching them fondle, kiss and sit on laps right in front of them at the dinner table no less. WTF gives? What have I missed? The parents never stopped it, either. Even though I CAN NOT stand Kim/Barry, that was disrespectful of Moriah to behave that way in her parents home. 

Edited to add: Micah has gotten to a good place with the parents even though he has chosen a modeling career where many of his photo shoots have him practically naked! Why is that ok with Kim/Barry? I'm confused about this entire family dynamic unless they are all bullshitting us for the camera and the paychecks. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I don't understand what the beef is with Kim/Barry and Ethan/Olivia when it's clear that Kim/Barry allowed Moriah and her boyfriend in their home only to be subjected to watching them fondle, kiss and sit on laps right in front of them at the dinner table no less. WTF gives? What have I missed? The parents never stopped it, either. Even though I CAN NOT stand Kim/Barry, that was disrespectful of Moriah to behave that way in her parents home. 

Edited to add: Micah has gotten to a good place with the parents even though he has chosen a modeling career where many of his photo shoots have him practically naked! Why is that ok with Kim/Barry? I'm confused about this entire family dynamic unless they are all bullshitting us for the camera and the paychecks. 

The problem with Kim/Barry and Ethan/Olivia is Olivia!

She loves nothing more than to cause family trouble. 

The glee on her face when she not asked but told Kim/Barry she was taking Moriah to California I’ll never forget. 

She loves any drama she can cause the Playth family. 

Will there be a new thread for tonight’s episode?  TY

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Thanks. I think I need to go back and watch the first few episodes because I could never figure out exactly what the problem was. 

• Love 1
On 9/7/2021 at 9:02 PM, Jeanne222 said:

The glee on her face when she not asked but told Kim/Barry she was taking Moriah to California I’ll never forget. 

She loves any drama she can cause the Playth family. 

Will there be a new thread for tonight’s episode?  TY

Have watched from Day 1. In the first season, Olivia's and Ethan's wedding was discussed. They were newly married at the time. Don't remember the exact details, but Kim stated that if there was alcohol served at the wedding,  her side of the family wouldn't attend. Olivia should have stated "We will miss you." Is Olivia blameless in this mess, hell no. But Kim is the older adult in the situation and incredibly culpable. 

• Love 8

What stands out about the family is that they seem pretty much smart. It's their responses to their situation that is noticeable, not the scripted parts. And they seem pretty worldly to say they have been cloistered and shielded. I'm not buying this strict parenting storyline.

• Love 1
On 9/9/2021 at 3:52 PM, jacksgirl said:

Have watched from Day 1. In the first season, Olivia's and Ethan's wedding was discussed. They were newly married at the time. Don't remember the exact details, but Kim stated that if there was alcohol served at the wedding,  her side of the family wouldn't attend. Olivia should have stated "We will miss you." Is Olivia blameless in this mess, hell no. But Kim is the older adult in the situation and incredibly culpable. 

There is always room for compromise and Kim did fall short in declining  to attend if alcohol was served. 

On a personal note my new DIL to be and her mother decided no alcohol at DIL and Sons wedding.   The compromise was beer and wine was served. As far as I was concerned none would have been fine with me.  Hubby wanted it  

Down the line we learned they were recovering alcoholics so they had good reason to have no liquor at their child’s wedding. 

Sometimes things and reasons are different than we think they might be. 

Be kind. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

There is always room for compromise and Kim did fall short in declining  to attend if alcohol was served. 

On a personal note my new DIL to be and her mother decided no alcohol at DIL and Sons wedding.   The compromise was beer and wine was served. As far as I was concerned none would have been fine with me.  Hubby wanted it  

Down the line we learned they were recovering alcoholics so they had good reason to have no liquor at their child’s wedding. 

Sometimes things and reasons are different than we think they might be. 

Be kind. 

Point taken Jeanne222. I get so angry at this family, especially Ethan and Olivia. They married too young and both have past issues which if not dealt with will doom their marriage. 

• Love 3