Type keyword(s) to search

90DF Live Chat 3: I Gave Up Everything To Be Here

• Start Topic

I have friends from Turkey who live in the US. They live here because they are from different parts of Turkey that don't get along--sorry, I don't know the full reason. They are in their 40s, cannot marry and both pretend to have moved here for "better opportunity for career". They both work 2 jobs so that they can send a lot of money home to their families to support the "See how great the career is in 
the US?" cover story. Both visit home separately. They have separately begged their respective parents not to arrange a marriage for them because they would not be able to bring the spouse to the US for at least 3 years. 

I met them in 2000.  This has been going on since 1999. They are not from a farm. One's father is a surgeon, the other's parents are an architect and professor.

Ya just never know what matters to whom.

Edited by Suzywriter
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 3
Just now, Zombness said:

Your really nailed it this time.....the Dutch Paint Boy.😂

I see zero chemistry between the Dutch Boy Paint Girl and her Egyptian Dream Boy...what is she fighting for, they act like they just met and she is asking stupid questions about what life with a Muslim husband will be like.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
Just now, SunnyBeBe said:

I can do that, but I think I have a phobia of gas stoves. Heaters are ok.  

My aunt had a 1940s gas stove. I was petrified of it.

Nicole, end the marriage and go home.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

I met them in 2000.  This has been going on since 1999. They are not from a farm. One's father is a surgeon, the other's parents are an architect and professor.

The Kurds have had a hell of a time in Turkey (See also, Armenians). I can see that, but that's different from being traditional. Except traditional enmity and hatred, anyway. 

I feel sorry for your friends. One of my oldest and dearest friends, who is gay, lives in Turkey and he loves it there. Being gay is supposedly not on in Turkey but it seems to be a "look the other way" sort of thing.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I'm here! Spring is literally around the corner and we had our first snowfall of the winter today. Here's a picture of our cats Annie and Freddie watching the snow come down. 

Annie and Freddie.jpg

Cute kitties! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Yes I did."

"No you didn't."

"Yes, yes, yes."

"No, no no."

"Yes, yes, yes."

"Excuse me, is this the full half hour argument or just the five minutes?"

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

The Kurds have had a hell of a time in Turkey (See also, Armenians). I can see that, but that's different from being traditional. Except traditional enmity and hatred, anyway. 

I feel sorry for your friends. One of my oldest and dearest friends, who is gay, lives in Turkey and he loves it there. Being gay is supposedly not on in Turkey but it seems to be a "look the other way" sort of thing.

I feel bad for them too. They hoped to find a solution before it was too late to have kids, but I think it is too late. 

• Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
Just now, Gobi said:

"Yes I did."

"No you didn't."

"Yes, yes, yes."

"No, no no."

"Yes, yes, yes."

"Excuse me, is this the full half hour argument or just the five minutes?"

"I came here for an argument!" 

"Oh, sorry, this is Abuse"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3
2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I can do that, but I think I have a phobia of gas stoves. Heaters are ok.  

As a little girl I believed that if you press one of the gas stove knobs down for a prolonged period of time then it will blow up part or all of your house.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 2
52 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Never happen! I haven't seen any of those movies and couldn't care less. I'll check Tom and Lorenzo tomorrow for the fashion.

Hola peeps! Sorry I'm late, cooking again (we made potato leek soup, tamale pie, Scotch eggs, a pasta and broccoli thing, a batch of naans, and an espresso pumpkin bundt cake). 

I'm sure you all have trust issue with me now. Sniffle.

Yum! Your lateness is excused if you share the food. 

• Like 2
  • Hugs 2

The stove that came with our house is probably from the 90’s and I have to use a lighter most times but I’m also cheap.  It’s clean and it works but I may order a new one before they are outlawed here LOL

• Like 2
  • Love 1
Just now, tvrox said:

Yum! Your lateness is excused if you share the food. 

Door's open! Houseguest and I love to cook and usually spend Sundays power cooking for the week. Hungry friends are always welcome. 

My husband never eats any of it. The man lives on takeout. We just shake our heads while we gobble up our delicious noms. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Mahmoud is crying because he won’t be getting laid if he and Nicole break up.

He should be, but covering clothing is SO much more important than his wife....

• Like 3
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

Kitty butts! You must be in Prince William County. It was only rain in Arlington and DC. Not that I’m complaining. I hate snow.

Fellow DC resident here. There were bits of hail today! Miserable. I would like one big snowstorm before spring. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, For Cereals said:

The stove that came with our house is probably from the 90’s and I have to use a lighter most times but I’m also cheap.  It’s clean and it works but I may order a new one before they are outlawed here LOL

Same here. It's a gas convection oven. I looked at replacement  cost, then bought 3 boxes of matches. 

The refrigerator, which is not gas, has to go, at any price. I have never hated a refrigerator like this. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 1
3 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Mahmoud and Dutch Boy are opening up a business? Does it have anything to do with cosmetics?

I think you may be on to something. Now we need a name. How about “The Nicole & Azan Make-Up Store and Like Some Other Stuff Baby.” Coming Soon in 2016, 2017, 2018..how about we just call you later?

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
1 minute ago, tvrox said:

Fellow DC resident here. There were bits of hail today! Miserable. I would like one big snowstorm before spring. 

Are we getting snow? I'm in Maine, and usually get storms 2 days after civilized states do.

1 minute ago, Hotel Snarker said:

I think Kody should make a guest appearance on Seeking Brother Husband.

Why, does one of the husbands need hair extensions or a tantrum?

• LOL 4
Just now, tvrox said:

We had some sort of flakes today, maybe frozen something or other but no accumulation in Reisterstown, the landscapers took the snow poles away the other day, I doubt we will see any more snow and if so nothing more than a dusting.  I bought two new pairs of snow boots this year and they are dusty now, sigh.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Suzywriter said:

Same here. It's a gas convection oven. I looked at replacement  cost, then bought 3 boxes of matches. 

The refrigerator, which is not gas, has to go, at any price. I have never hated a refrigerator like this. 

When we bought our house in 1992, the fridge was oldish but serviceable. Over time, it worked OK, but gradually fell to pieces--shelves would break, drawers. Eventually we were piling food up in the bottom. And fridges are $$$. My brother gave us his old one a few years back, thank goodness. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1