Type keyword(s) to search

Battle On The Beach - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Agree that Alison should have cleaned up her mess. No one needs that kind of help. 

As to why she's on TV, didn't she dissolve her company? File chapter 11?? If so, she's here to collect a paycheck.

5 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Agree that Alison should have cleaned up her mess. No one needs that kind of help. 

As to why she's on TV, didn't she dissolve her company? File chapter 11?? If so, she's here to collect a paycheck.

I get she's here for the money, but why is HGTV hiring her? IMO, she brings nothing to the party.

18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I get she's here for the money, but why is HGTV hiring her? IMO, she brings nothing to the party.

Don't know. Maybe they like her and/or feel sorry for her. Or maybe she has a friend in production....and she's one of the few that are willing to film on a beach in the middle of winter. Pick one 😉

6 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Don't know. Maybe they like her and/or feel sorry for her. Or maybe she has a friend in production....and she's one of the few that are willing to film on a beach in the middle of winter. Pick one 😉

Production companies don't hire people because they feel sorry for them. It's all about the money.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Production companies don't hire people because they feel sorry for them. It's all about the money.

Of course it is. I was just having a little fun with it. Sorry if you thought I was being serious. I thought the emoji was a dead giveaway, but apparently not.

On 6/18/2024 at 3:55 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I really wish they would find someone other than Alison for this show.  She is sort of a bully.  She was "helping" paint this week, and left paint all over the floor that had to be cleaned up by the team.  That's not helping.  The show stresses that the teams have final say in what they do, but Alison really bullies "her" team to do what she wants.  I could do without her on the show.

What I also don't like is that she trashes her mentees to the judges. "This wasn't my idea." "They changed the design." "She didn't know how to do this." Of course, that's going to give the judges a bad impression of your team, even subconsciously. 

• Like 3
On 6/15/2022 at 12:43 AM, MsJamieDornan said:

The whole group isn't likable. The teams dont like their mentors, no one likes Ty and its all very bland.

I know this is from 2 years ago, but I've just now discovered the show and binged season 1 and 2 over the weekend. This was how I felt as I watched the whole season. I didn't like any of the teams. The least worst was the father/son team. I didn't remember Ty being so... TY the first season. I assume part of that was because his team was super unresponsive to his suggestions. 

• Like 3

I forgot they had to do the guest bedrooms. I thought the last episode would be the exterior, then done.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy one of these houses. We know that the design was accomplished with cheap materials and mistakes badly masked. But we know that "this choice" was used because they ran out of money, or time. 

I fell last week and scraped my knee. (I'm fine.) I put a large bandage over the bruise and you can't see it. But when I take a shower, the bandage slips off and you can see what lies beneath. 

Wait till they try to turn on the shower.

• Like 6

The bunk room "winners" was basically the lessor of 3 evils   They won because they made functional bunk beds, painted stripes on the walls, and had lighting that could detach from the wall and serve as a flashlight?  None of these teams are very good.   I don't know who they think will want to buy these homes with substandard tile, drywall and carpentry work.    

• Like 4
2 hours ago, After7Only said:

The bunk room "winners" was basically the lessor of 3 evils   They won because they made functional bunk beds, painted stripes on the walls, and had lighting that could detach from the wall and serve as a flashlight?  None of these teams are very good.   I don't know who they think will want to buy these homes with substandard tile, drywall and carpentry work.    

People who are buying them as an investment for short-term rentals.

I wouldn't let any of these people help me pick a paint color, let alone do any remodeling.  And that includes Alison.  How much experience have any of these teams had?

• Like 4

"let's have a cold plunge tub" in a room without plumbing.  I realize we are not to concern ourselves with such trifling details, lol.  

This season isn't simply boring, it's sad. 

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
On 7/9/2024 at 10:03 AM, tessabq said:

"let's have a cold plunge tub" in a room without plumbing.  I realize we are not to concern ourselves with such trifling details, lol.  

This season isn't simply boring, it's sad. 

I wondered about that too! There did seem to be a faucet of some kind on one side, so did they run plumbing? But, it was a stupid idea for a room, as the judges said. Waste of space. Most of the sectional couldn't see that cheap screen they put up. Game room was absolutely the best room this time. 

I am very surprised by all the poor workmanship this season.  Do they get the chance to "fix" their houses before final judging?  They all need a lot of finishing work.  I don't know if too many buyers would want to buy a house and then have to do all the sanding and paint correction that these houses have.

• Like 1

I'm happy for the winners because I guess they really needed the money?  I really wasn't invested in any of the teams and none of the houses appealed to me. 

But $50,000 as the prize when the houses are so highly valued doesn't seem worth the trouble.

• Like 1

I gave up on this show after the first couple of episodes. Why are they setting up these poor contestants to fail by only giving them time for the shoddiest, half-assed work? I'd rather folks have a reasonable timeframe and design nice, functional rooms. And how is it that Ty is now the only HGTV person on this series that I can stand? The designers pushed their ideas on the contestants and the judges were straight-up annoying. HGTV, I'd like to see well-done rooms, not half-finished projects by panicked folks who need money.

• Like 5

Ty’s team’s house was just bad.  All those raw door jambs and baseboards next to the dark walls looked cheap.  Ugh.  Alison’s team was so inefficient, and took so much of her (bad) advice.  I like Taniya the most, so I was glad her team won, but I also think they did the best job (aside from that dumb cold plunge wooden tub).

• Like 3

So is the sloppy workmanship because they don’t have the skills or because they don’t have enough time? Can a room properly be done in the limited time frame, or are they planning too many elaborate projects?

Thinking about the bunky room - double bunk beds are a good idea, but double-double beds? A room that sleeps 8 kids? It’s not just the kids that have to be in that room; it’s all their stuff too. It’s just too much and makes the room seem full.

They should have done two bunk beds, maybe with trundles below. Put a mattress on one, and Lego on the other to show it can be for sleep or play. 

The spa room was a good idea, I suppose, since the challenge was to create an alternative space. A sauna? Sure, for a cool beach day. But cold plunge pool is the toy du jour. Ugh, waste of space. That tub better have hot and cold faucets. It was a nice looking room, though. 

I thought the games room was cluttered, but I guess that’s what happens when you give people tiny rooms to design.

I don’t hate the show or the participants the way many here seem to, but it seems like an odd show because they’re not given equal houses to start with.

• Like 3

Not surprised by the winner, although finding out she was pregnant it’s a wonder she had the energy to do this.

I wonder why no one did any outdoor work beneath the houses. They all had this huge sheltered space below that went unused. I dunno, maybe in that are they’re supposed to leave it clear? I thought a swinging bench or something would have worked well.

And those who added outdoor kitchens with sinks, did they add plumbing? Same with the outdoor shower; that’s a long way to run plumbing.

Whatever, I enjoyed the show for what it was.

• Like 2

Well, surprise surprise, the correct house won. The other two were hideous. Why on earth would you make an old "club" feel to a beach house? Dark and moody is not the vibe for the beach. And no words for what Allison's team did. Beyond shoddy. 

I like the idea of this show, but a complete reset with different mentors and judges would be appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2